I have guessed what BG's next release will be

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
The Rider Of Rohan

I have guessed what BG's next release will be

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 31 Mar 2011 18:47

The big question I have at the mo is: what it the band's next big step?

Let me put some pieces of the puzzle together.

In a recent posting of Hansi he failed to mention why the orchestral project is taking so long:

- Work on the orchestral project has begun, but Hansi only has time to record 5 songs before Christmass
- They're only doing a couple of summer festivals, no tours planned
- The new D&W album will be written this summer when Jon is in Europe
- Though logic indicates the new D&W won't be recorded before the summer of 20112

http://www.blind-guardian.com/2011/03/1 ... t-will-be/

From the recent chat with Hansi we learned:

- They're rerecording ATTWS as we speak
- They're thinking of working it Kai Hansen again
- Hansi is hinting (with a smiley) at a future greatest hits album

http://www.blind-guardian.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=38944

So all in all, my logical assumption is that the band is currently doing a Blast From The Past, where they rerecord their old material.

What do you ppl think?
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Andreas

Re: I have guessed what BG's next release will be

#2 Post by Andreas » 31 Mar 2011 18:53

Not bad. It would be nice.

The Rider Of Rohan

#3 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 31 Mar 2011 18:57

Except obviously to LeBard, who will claim that BG have lost their sanity, their creative output and their integrity by releasing a quick cash-grab.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

sharpened_graphite

#4 Post by sharpened_graphite » 31 Mar 2011 19:24

Definitely would be very cool. :D Although my initial guess has been that they're rerecording ATTWS with an orchestra to use it as a single "B-side" or bonus track for the Orchestral Album. Could be that as well.

Andreas

#5 Post by Andreas » 31 Mar 2011 19:27

Concerning the rerecording of ATTWS: maybe there finally will be a reason for me to have that ATEOT product code?

bestpike

#6 Post by bestpike » 31 Mar 2011 19:42

That could be a possibility, although that also demands recordings, so that makes me think that a Live album is more possible as the next BG release. It's either that, the blast from the past thingy that you mentioned or the orchestral project. Definitely not a DVD or a regular album as Hansi mentioned, and probably not a DW so fast either.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

The Rider Of Rohan

#7 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 31 Mar 2011 20:22

Andreas wrote:Concerning the rerecording of ATTWS: maybe there finally will be a reason for me to have that ATEOT product code?
Well, that would be wunderbar too, though I like my guess better.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

LeBard

#8 Post by LeBard » 31 Mar 2011 22:28

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Except obviously to LeBard, who will claim that BG have lost their sanity, their creative output and their integrity by releasing a quick cash-grab.
Blind Guardian could release an album made entirely of the crowd chants from their old Live CD's and nothing more, and I'd let it pass. Because they are Blind Guardian. Love makes you blind. Image

No, but seriously. If this actually turns out to be a re-recording of old hits (or just old songs), or a Best Of with some re-recorded old songs, I would embrace it. "Double standards!", you scream. "Nay!", say I. So what is the the difference is between Manowar and Blind Guardian?

Well, we got At the Edge of Time last year, Manowar hasn't done anything new since 2007, apart from firing a drummer (under some weird circumstances to boot) and speaking some nonsense about redoing the entire album from scratch because of uh, a new drummer? And even the album before the last one one took 5 years to make. Not to mention they added nothing to the table with the re-recording (hey it's music, this is very debate:able, that's just like, my opinion, man).

Releasing Battle Hymns in the position they were (are) in just screamed of creative bankruptcy, and that's okay. They've been in the business long enough to lose the edge. It happens. But that doesn't mean you can't call something what it is: A quick cash-grab from some bassist who is, probably, scrambling to put out a new album with decent songs and is buying some time to put out a new album.

Blind Guardian, on the other hand, just did prove they still "got it" - and moreover, if this means they will make an orchestra version of ATTWS, they will also bring something new to the table (while Battle Hymns is like a cover album, made by AC/DC).

For the record, I saw Manowar live just the other day, they were great. At least when Joey was shuting the fuck up and not talking about fornication at every single turn. I'm too old for that crap. And Karl Logan is their own Lars Ulrich, his guitar-solo was cringe-worthy. Neither of that could hide the great songs though.

PS. About the re-recording of ATTWS, could it not be for some Nuclear Blast compilation album or something? They have released two albums with new material before with their artists, including Hansi. Could be something like that. Or maybe not. Who knows.

Precurser

#9 Post by Precurser » 31 Mar 2011 23:07

Hmm, I wonder what it is that makes them want to re-record ATTWS. It's probably too much to hope for, but a recording with a real orchestra would be cool.

A Greatest Hits album would always be nice, as long as it's something more than just taking their popular songs and giving them a different album cover.

I'm also still hoping that at some point in the future, the Wheel Of Time demo song gets released with something. From the bits I heard in that one teaser video from before they released ATEOT, it sounded pretty good for a demo song.
You just looked at my signature.

The Rider Of Rohan

#10 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 01 Apr 2011 07:05

LeBard wrote:No, but seriously. If this actually turns out to be a re-recording of old hits (or just old songs), or a Best Of with some re-recorded old songs, I would embrace it. "Double standards!", you scream. "Nay!", say I.
Dude.
LeBard wrote:No artist with integrity would do this
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#11 Post by Andreas » 01 Apr 2011 10:25

I think LeBard already explained the difference between Manowar and BG :wink:

The Rider Of Rohan

#12 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 01 Apr 2011 17:54

Andreas wrote:I think LeBard already explained the difference between Manowar and BG :wink:
He did, and yet he claims he doesn't have a double standard. That alone justifies a "dude" on my behalf.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

LeBard

#13 Post by LeBard » 01 Apr 2011 18:34

A wild LeBard appears!
The Rider of Rohan used selective quoting.
It's super effective!
LeBard faints.
If my memory doesn't fail me, I pointed out the last time we had this discussion that I thought, for example, Dimmu Borgir (of all bands) did the re-recording right. So there's definitely re-recording and there's re-recording, as I said. I also pointed out Manowar was in a position to do something extra with the re-recording, but they didn't. Besides, this is a silly discussion to begin with, seeing as we don't even know exactly what this re-recording is or even if it will ever see the light of the day. What you can do is disagree with me, but you can't really say I have double standards. Image

The Rider Of Rohan

#14 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 01 Apr 2011 18:43

Well, it's not silly. When you said that no band with integrity would rerecord their own songs, you used BG as a means to put down Manowar. Now that BG is rerecording their own material, you are conveniently neglecting your own words and putting another twist on the argument to make it seem that it's okay for BG to rerecord, but not so for Manowar. That's strangely inconsistent on your behalf and only supports the notion that you are going to go through twists and turns now that you cannot use BG anymore as a case to make an argument against Manowar.

And what exactly was Manowar supposed to have done (which they didn't)?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

LeBard

#15 Post by LeBard » 01 Apr 2011 19:28

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, it's not silly. When you said that no band with integrity would rerecord their own songs, you used BG as a means to put down Manowar. Now that BG is rerecording their own material, you are conveniently neglecting your own words and putting another twist on the argument to make it seem that it's okay for BG to rerecord, but not so for Manowar. That's strangely inconsistent on your behalf and only supports the notion that you are going to go through twists and turns now that you cannot use BG anymore as a case to make an argument against Manowar.

And what exactly was Manowar supposed to have done (which they didn't)?
I'd hate do disappoint you, but I actually don't have an agenda against Manowar. Maybe against Joey who silenced Luca Turilli's guitar for 4 years, but it's besides the point. I never, ever, used -- or even mentioned! -- Blind Guardian in the last discussion as a tool to downplay Manowar. I didn't mention any band for that matter that was above making re-recordings. You are putting words into my mouth.

What I did write in the last thread however, before I started using twists and turns to make a case, is the following:
"Hell, this release would actually be interesting if he tried to incorporate an orchestra or something. Cheesy, but at least interesting."
Aaand:
"... this release also is just so weird: 2012 would be the 30th year anniversary of the album, it would actually you know, make kind of sense releasing it then. With some beefy backup; I don’t know, guest-members, a box-set, unreleased crap, tacky orchestra, anything. But no; all Joey releases is a cover version of the old album. It’s totally unnecessary."
So I was always clear on the reason why Manowar re-release felt out of place and unnecessary. They brought nothing new to the table, they post-pone making an actual album and so on and so on. I won't repeat myself, it's all out there. I'm not even sure why you are getting so worked up about this, but your point is mute: Blind Guardian just made a new album whereas Manowar had not. They might -- or might not -- mix things up with this release but we don't know yet. We don't even know how the song will be released. There's really not much to discuss.

But for the sake of the argument. Let's say that it will be an album called "Blast from the Past" featuring 12 songs from Blind Guardians back-catalogue. Re-recorded just like they are, but with pro-tools and better equipment, would I call the release unnecessary and call André, Blind Guardian, creatively bankrupt? No - he just released an album and is making an orchestral album at this very moment. I will probably find the album excessive and unnecessary, just like the new Battle Hymns, but if it doesn't fuck up their 4-year-release schedule, who cares? Manowar on the other hand... ah, I'm done. My opinions are up there, you "conveniently" didn't quote them last time but they are there.

(Also, the chance that all this even indicates a "Blast from the Past"-release is pretty slim. So once again, this discussion is based on pretty much nothing.)

Dude.

bestpike

#16 Post by bestpike » 01 Apr 2011 19:53

Well, Rider of Rohan you can't say really anything about people taking their words back, I remember that 'nice' conversation we had with the legendary bands where you revised your ideas a few times about various things. Generally a very useless conversation.

Anyway, this is for Lebard, about the Manowar re-release, I found it very nice and enjoyable, the songs really brought out their full potential using the new technology and the many years of experience gathered. Yes I know Manowar has kinda died creativity-wise, and that the rerelease didn't change the songs, but so what. Better quality is better quality. Are you telling me that Blurays are useless because there are DVDs?
Forever to be free

LeBard

#17 Post by LeBard » 01 Apr 2011 20:16

Anyway, this is for Lebard, about the Manowar re-release, I found it very nice and enjoyable, the songs really brought out their full potential using the new technology and the many years of experience gathered. Yes I know Manowar has kinda died creativity-wise, and that the rerelease didn't change the songs, but so what. Better quality is better quality. Are you telling me that Blurays are useless because there are DVDs?
I feel that I have restated my opinions so many times on the subject that it might seem like I hate the album. I don't. :) I was genuinely excited to hear the title track, which might be one of the best songs in metal IMO. My point always was that I thought the release felt flat. There wasn't much heart behind it, it was like they decided to play the album in full on tour and when they rehearsed the songs they thought: "Hell, this sounds great, let's release it again". I would rather have heard "Hammer of the Gods" last year, even if it just ends up being a sub-par album. Or I could go by your example; you can release an old film on BluRay with lot's of new features, or it could be a bare bone release with nothing extra. I felt that the new Battle Hymns was a bare bone BluRay re-release of an old classic: Higher definition, nothing new, kind of pointless but nice to have. A Missed opportunity, IMO.

bestpike

#18 Post by bestpike » 01 Apr 2011 20:49

I dunno, maybe I have low standards, but higher definition is enough for me. There was heart behind the re-released album, it was just a tired spent heart almost out of ideas :D. But I think they took it pretty seriously when doing it. After all, what money could it have got them? Only a hardcore fan would buy it instead of downloading it if he has the original already. They already have money coming in from all their catalogue, this wouldn't have got them that much more.
Forever to be free

Alpha Penguin

#19 Post by Alpha Penguin » 01 Apr 2011 22:17

I'm very sure they're re-recording And Then There Was Silence as part of the orchestral project

And I doubt they'll do the "best of" album with actual re-recordings of the songs, maybe some extra live or bonus stuff but I am sure they won't record anything haha
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

arenamaster

#20 Post by arenamaster » 02 Apr 2011 10:45

i wish they wouldn't re-record it, its perfect teh way it is :(
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
But as long as I breathe,
Each smile in my bleak face,
I'm on my way to find
Back to the peace of mind!

somnia

#21 Post by somnia » 02 Apr 2011 13:51

arenamaster wrote:i wish they wouldn't re-record it, its perfect teh way it is :(
Actually, compared to what it could have been with a real orchestra, no it isn't.
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

power_dysfunction

#22 Post by power_dysfunction » 03 Apr 2011 18:49

somnia wrote:
arenamaster wrote:i wish they wouldn't re-record it, its perfect teh way it is :(
Actually, compared to what it could have been with a real orchestra, no it isn't.
I agree, ANATO's production makes it sound way cheesier than it needs to be. I didn't even like the song until I saw it on the DVD for that reason (though now I consider it perhaps the greatest piece of music ever written). It would really benefit from not just an orchestra, but some of the grittiness of ATEOT's production.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

corrupted old gnom

#23 Post by corrupted old gnom » 03 Apr 2011 19:06

I wonder why they re-record ATTWS - what's the sense it re-doing a perfect song?
let's hope you are wrong, Ferdi
re-recorded stuff never works for me...
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

residentour

#24 Post by residentour » 03 Apr 2011 19:59

corrupted old gnom wrote:I wonder why they re-record ATTWS - what's the sense it re-doing a perfect song?
But "Sacred Worlds" is rerecorded from scratch of the first "Sacred" song.

corrupted old gnom

#25 Post by corrupted old gnom » 04 Apr 2011 00:23

residentour wrote:
corrupted old gnom wrote:I wonder why they re-record ATTWS - what's the sense it re-doing a perfect song?
But "Sacred Worlds" is rerecorded from scratch of the first "Sacred" song.
okey, you've got a point here - but for me both songs belong to the same 'phase', like an alternative version for a single, for example
but now I have to admit that BG seem to be the exception: the whole Forgotten Tales remakes were good
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

T3hOverlord

#26 Post by T3hOverlord » 04 Apr 2011 00:41

it was re-recorded from scratch? it sounds to me like all they did was remove the keyboard orchestra and put in the real one, as well, copy and pasting parts into it. You can hear it in the solo, where it would have went to the original part ending the solo with the choir, the guitar cuts out and is replaced by an extended solo. the vocal lines are sung the exact same way as well, not like the 2 war of the thrones versions

Alpha Penguin

#27 Post by Alpha Penguin » 04 Apr 2011 01:32

Oh it was definitely rerecorded haha
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

T3hOverlord

#28 Post by T3hOverlord » 04 Apr 2011 04:23

nonon listen to the vocals and especially listen to the solo, you can hear where the guitar cuts out

bestpike

#29 Post by bestpike » 04 Apr 2011 06:58

Sacred wasn't re-recorded from scratch. Heard it in some interview.
Forever to be free

residentour

#30 Post by residentour » 04 Apr 2011 12:18

Guys, I am not mentioning about orchestral parts. Very First "Sacred" version was presented in a game and then there are 2 more versions other than ATEOT, "The Sacred Worlds and Songs Divine Tour", and "Preproduction" in the 2nd CD.

First Sacred and the ATEOT one has different recorded guitar layers, mastered instruments if I recall right. So it was rerecorded. :mrgreen:

First Sacred : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fakNlghOJY

Sacred Divine Tour : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7vStlKB6Cs

Sacred Worlds : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MLmdm3nKIs

Sacred Preproduction : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPhCFbYKfdM

I 'll look into them again :roll:

T3hOverlord

#31 Post by T3hOverlord » 04 Apr 2011 23:27

all i know is for sure the vocals were not re-recorded, and during the guitar solo you can hear where the guitar cuts out to the added part. Now that i listen to the metal hammer version it sounds as if the bass is more prominant or something, i would say that maybe most of the instrumental was re-recorded, but definately not the vocals

edit: the sacred worlds you posted is strangely higher pitch than the actull album version, ive noticed that with a youtube version of curse my name as well. All of DecrepitOrator's youtube videos of ATEOT are higher pitched than the actual. also, maybe i was wrong and one or two vocal parts were re-recorded. i just listened to "these lunatics deny the truth" on every version and the Sacred Worlds version sounds slightly different, though the rest of the first verse is exactly the same.