Remasters, production?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
PlasmaShock

Remasters, production?

#1 Post by PlasmaShock » 26 Feb 2011 21:50

Hey everyone! Just like to say that I'm a huge Blind Guardian fan and I'm glad to join these forums :)

A question I've been meaning to ask is there any possibility of there being new remasters in the future? I ask this because the current remasters and the newer albums suffer from poor sound quality due to the "Loudness War." If you do not know what that is, here's two great links which explain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Now I love heavy metal, but it's disappointing when you can't listen to a full album back to back because of the ear fatigue caused by the amount of compression. I think excellent music should have at least some dynamics and punch. I know that heavier music is great when played loud, but that should decided by the person with the volume knob on their stereo or music player. This sort of thing even happens to vinyl records these days. The loud CD master is simply transfered to the vinyl and that doesn't make it sound any better than a CD(for any of you vinyl lovers out there :wink: ).

LeBard

Re: Remasters, production?

#2 Post by LeBard » 26 Feb 2011 23:39

Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

I hate the loudness war ever since I actually "encountered" it when Death Magnetic came out. Since then, it has become so embarrassingly evident that good records, on a basis, gets ruined when it comes to mastering. I didn't have a problem with ATEOT though mix per se, I thought it "felt" crisp and dynamic. I had other problems, well covered in other threads. But yes, the remastered version of the BG albums are bad. The originals are so much better.

I really hope that one day record companies gets a fucking clue and stop ruining good records.

Ornendil

#3 Post by Ornendil » 27 Feb 2011 19:56

There is reason to hope they will: The Loudness War is Over
If you have facts, bang the facts, if you have witnesses, bang the witnesses, if you have neither, bang the table.

The Rider Of Rohan

#4 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Feb 2011 21:11

Just get the originals. No need for terrible remasters, the originals are far superior.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

PlasmaShock

#5 Post by PlasmaShock » 28 Feb 2011 02:01

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Just get the originals. No need for terrible remasters, the originals are far superior.
The originals could be improved though. Digital mastering in the 80's was still relatively new so the CDs don't sound as good as they could be.

bestpike

#6 Post by bestpike » 28 Feb 2011 03:31

The first two albums could certainly use a re-recoding. I've listened to Manowar's newly recorded debut album, and was blown away at how much new technology and experience can improve the already great. You can surely hear that between Majesty from the album and Majesty from Live CD, but the rest of the songs don't have such great quality live counterparts (except Run for the Night from HR3 bootleg which sounds great). Same with Follow the Blind. Damned for All Time, Fast to Madness, Hall of the King could surely shine with a modern production and Hansi's matured voice.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

DREAMASTER

#7 Post by DREAMASTER » 28 Feb 2011 14:51

Ornendil wrote:There is reason to hope they will: The Loudness War is Over

I will stop buy music the day that the only way to hear music is by file and everything related to albums is gone!

I like to have the physical format, to have to booklet in my hands and read everything in it. I HATE just have a file in the Pc/Ipod to hear the music!
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

The Rider Of Rohan

#8 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 28 Feb 2011 16:12

I actually prefer it like that. In the old days I used to like cd's, but they take up too much space and are incovenient. I prefer to have everything on my iPod, and I wonder how I could've gone on without one for 29 years.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Ornendil

#9 Post by Ornendil » 28 Feb 2011 19:13

DREAMASTER wrote:

I will stop buy music the day that the only way to hear music is by file and everything related to albums is gone!

I like to have the physical format, to have to booklet in my hands and read everything in it. I HATE just have a file in the Pc/Ipod to hear the music!
There will still be physical formats, and I don't think that will change for quite a long time (though the leading physical format will probably be vinyl, unless something completely new comes along), but the loudness practises are linked to the major format, which used to be the cd, but now is mp3 (and in the future, it'll hopefully be ogg or some other uncompressed format) and that is the format that will dictate how these things are done.

And, believe me, I too love having a physical format with a really good booklet and artwork, making almost a ritual out of the listening experience, carefully stripping the vinyl of its packaging, putting the needle unto the record, lighting an oil-lamp, lighting a pipe, reading the booklet, changing sides etc., it all helps to an awesome music experience, but for general listening, having the music at a finger's reach wherever I am is just plain old fantastic.
If you have facts, bang the facts, if you have witnesses, bang the witnesses, if you have neither, bang the table.

yamasidious

#10 Post by yamasidious » 02 Mar 2011 02:43

I have the remastered versions of IFTOS and NIME. I decided to get the remasters instead of the originals mainly for the bonus tracks. I bought NIME first, then I bought IFTOS. When I got IFTOS I was really disappointed because when you open the booklet it's almost identical with Nightfall. The fonts are the same and everthing. I'm assuming that they are doing this to give the remasters it's own theme but I'd rather have each cd be it's own original design.

Could someone be nice enough to upload some pics of the "original" NIME and IFTOS booklets and post them on here please. I would like to see the differance. I'm also curious if I got jipped. :mrgreen:

T3hOverlord

#11 Post by T3hOverlord » 03 Mar 2011 00:22

yamasidious wrote:I have the remastered versions of IFTOS and NIME. I decided to get the remasters instead of the originals mainly for the bonus tracks. I bought NIME first, then I bought IFTOS. When I got IFTOS I was really disappointed because when you open the booklet it's almost identical with Nightfall. The fonts are the same and everthing. I'm assuming that they are doing this to give the remasters it's own theme but I'd rather have each cd be it's own original design.

Could someone be nice enough to upload some pics of the "original" NIME and IFTOS booklets and post them on here please. I would like to see the differance. I'm also curious if I got jipped. :mrgreen:
haha same with me. now after reading this i am questioning going out and buying the originals. :|
I too have the same question in regards to the booklet art. IN the remasters, all the booklets are the same with this hard to read medieval script.

yamasidious

#12 Post by yamasidious » 03 Mar 2011 01:02

T3hOverlord wrote:IN the remasters, all the booklets are the same with this hard to read medieval script.
I hate that! it's very hard to read. What's up with that? :x

PlasmaShock

#13 Post by PlasmaShock » 05 Mar 2011 05:20

DREAMASTER wrote:

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:I actually prefer it like that. In the old days I used to like cd's, but they take up too much space and are incovenient. I prefer to have everything on my iPod, and I wonder how I could've gone on without one for 29 years.
I prefer the files too. I still love physical media, but having a lossless file that is the same quality of the CD, but being able to store it in a microsized memory device is amazing.

T3hOverlord

#14 Post by T3hOverlord » 05 Mar 2011 10:29

Now guys, i must know. is it worth going out and buying the originals since all i have is the remasters?

yamasidious

#15 Post by yamasidious » 06 Mar 2011 00:16

What's the difference between the 2007 remasters and the 2009 remasters?

The Rider Of Rohan

#16 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 06 Mar 2011 11:53

They were released in different years.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

T3hOverlord

#17 Post by T3hOverlord » 11 Mar 2011 03:18

Blind Guardian should re-release some vinyl. i would definately buy some of that