What songs have never been played live?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Dragon Guardian

What songs have never been played live?

#1 Post by Dragon Guardian » 01 Nov 2010 14:24

Could someone tell me what songs have never been played live before?

What about the Bard's Song: The Hobbit?

Thanks

LeBard

Re: What songs have never been played live?

#2 Post by LeBard » 01 Nov 2010 14:42

The Hobbit has been played, it was a frequently in the setlist from it's inception until the Nightfall tour. Then it disappeared, never to be seen again. Well, it did reappear once, during the Imagination Through the Looking Glass recording. Didn't make the DVD, though. Other notable songs that have not appeared are (from my memory):
Curse of Feanor
Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)
A Dark Passage

Which is weird, considering NIME is their most successful album to date.

Dragon Guardian

#3 Post by Dragon Guardian » 01 Nov 2010 15:16

What about stuff from The Batallions of Fear and Follow the Blind era?

bestpike

#4 Post by bestpike » 01 Nov 2010 15:37

Basically everything until Imaginations has been played in the past, starting with Nime songs were skipped. From Anato, the unplayed tracks must be 1,2,4,5,6,8 and from Atitm 7,8,10,11.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Hardrocky

#5 Post by Hardrocky » 01 Nov 2010 22:04

I think they played all songs from BoF and FTB but I've never found a liveversion of these: The Martyr, Hall of the king and Follow the blind

I must say I'm really dissapointed in the setlists of this tour so far. In an interview they said they said they should play 20 songs each show(they play only 16) and dust off some rarely or never played songs but they haven't :( It also sucks that they dont play more new songs only 4 so far.

It would be amazing if BG did a "Skeletons in the closet" tour (like Gamma ray did) and skip all the overplayed songs like Mirror mirror, Bards song and Valhalla and give a setlist like this for example:

Curse of Feanor
Noldor
The hobbit
Theatre of Pain
Wizards Crown
Tommyknockers
Maiden and the minstrel knight
When sorrow sang
The Martyr
Time what is Time
New order
Run for the night
Ashes to ashes

probably never gonna happen but one can dream.... :P

Avelar

#6 Post by Avelar » 01 Nov 2010 22:49

Hardrocky wrote:I think they played all songs from BoF and FTB but I've never found a liveversion of these: The Martyr, Hall of the king and Follow the blind
Bootlegs - search for "Live In Kaarst, Germany (01.12.89)", you'll find The Martyr and Hall Of The King. Plus Beyond The Ice, Guardian Of The Blind and Fast To Madness :twisted: (and hilarious Lost In The Twilight Hall :lol: ) Nice bootleg! Nice set list! Couldn't find Follow The Blind live though.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

Dwarfare

#7 Post by Dwarfare » 01 Nov 2010 23:13

Unfortunately, Battlefield. At least, to my knowledge. The song isn't even on the list at Blind Guardian's Setlist FM page, and something like 70 are.

Precurser

#8 Post by Precurser » 02 Nov 2010 03:59

Avelar wrote:
Hardrocky wrote:I think they played all songs from BoF and FTB but I've never found a liveversion of these: The Martyr, Hall of the king and Follow the blind
Bootlegs - search for "Live In Kaarst, Germany (01.12.89)", you'll find The Martyr and Hall Of The King. Plus Beyond The Ice, Guardian Of The Blind and Fast To Madness :twisted: (and hilarious Lost In The Twilight Hall :lol: ) Nice bootleg! Nice set list! Couldn't find Follow The Blind live though.
What's the password for those bootlegs though?

Edit: found it
double edit: nevermind, it isnt working
triple edit: it worked
You just looked at my signature.

Ryu

#9 Post by Ryu » 02 Nov 2010 12:02

When Sorrow Sang has actually been played.

Noldor, The Curse of Feanor, A Dark Passage, Precious Jerusalem, Wait for an Answer, Age of False Innocence, Sadly Sings Destiny, The Maiden and the Misntrel Knight, Battlefield, Straight through the Mirror, Lionheart, The Edge, The New Order, Dead Sound of Misery, and all of ATEOT save Wheel of Time, A Voice in the Dark, Tanelorn, and Sacred Worlds.
Defiant of destiny

Andreas

#10 Post by Andreas » 02 Nov 2010 16:28

Mr. Sandman. OK, it's a cover, but their best one IMO.

Energokinetic

#11 Post by Energokinetic » 02 Nov 2010 17:06

Precurser wrote:
Avelar wrote:
What's the password for those bootlegs though?

Edit: found it
double edit: nevermind, it isnt working
triple edit: it worked
I entered the password "bgargentina" a thousand times but it says its incorrect

Avelar

#12 Post by Avelar » 02 Nov 2010 17:25

bgargentina.22web.net should make a trick

Energokinetic

#13 Post by Energokinetic » 02 Nov 2010 21:58

Avelar wrote:bgargentina.22web.net should make a trick
Thank you

bestpike

#14 Post by bestpike » 03 Nov 2010 06:30

Ryu wrote:When Sorrow Sang has actually been played.

Noldor, The Curse of Feanor, A Dark Passage, Precious Jerusalem, Wait for an Answer, Age of False Innocence, Sadly Sings Destiny, The Maiden and the Misntrel Knight, Battlefield, Straight through the Mirror, Lionheart, The Edge, The New Order, Dead Sound of Misery, and all of ATEOT save Wheel of Time, A Voice in the Dark, Tanelorn, and Sacred Worlds.
How about Thorn and The Eldar? Also I think All the King's Horses hasn't been played.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Dragon Guardian

#15 Post by Dragon Guardian » 03 Nov 2010 13:58

Actually I'm not surprised that their whole early catalog has been done live, because as with most bands you have a limited amount of material to choose from to fill up your set list.

How come I heard people say that IFTOS is the only one that's been played live in it's entirety? Does it mean that it's the only one from which all songs have been played in general or does it mean all the songs were played in a single show?

I think they should play all of NIME just live Queensryche played the full Operation Mindcrime.

Desert_Storm

#16 Post by Desert_Storm » 03 Nov 2010 15:26

Maybe you heard it because it was the last album of which all songs were played live. Also, they never played all songs of Tales from the twilight world or Somwhere, so IFTOS kind of sticks out, with the two first albums, were most or all the stuff was played for obvious reasons. Also they played all songs of IFTOS in one single show numerous (?) times, for example at their open air festival at Coburg (though I don't remember if they played born in a mourning hall). Be that as it may, IFTOS is the album that is played most live, since every tour they play numerous songs of it, and it's not always the same bunch they play.
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Dentarthurdent

#17 Post by Dentarthurdent » 03 Nov 2010 17:02

All 9 songs are on the DVD, so yes^^
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Orodaran

#18 Post by Orodaran » 03 Nov 2010 23:38

I don't think Imaginations (the album) was ever played in full in its running order, or that all 9 songs were played in a single show. But yes, all the songs have been played live multiple times and over the course of two separate evenings they were all played at the Blind Guardian Open Air.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Gandalf de Grijze

#19 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 04 Nov 2010 11:23

I've been to a show where they played all of Iftos save for Apafs
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Drex

#20 Post by Drex » 04 Nov 2010 14:20

Dentarthurdent wrote:All 9 songs are on the DVD, so yes^^
Born in a Mourning Hall isn't on the DVD

Grish

#21 Post by Grish » 04 Nov 2010 22:51

I wish they'd play Straight Through The Mirror.
Definately my fav ATitM song

Dragon Guardian

#22 Post by Dragon Guardian » 16 Nov 2010 16:15

BTW, I was wondering if they ever played the short interludes found on NIME such as the Minstrell, Dark Elf,Out of the Water, Battle of Sudden Flame and SFB's Black Chamber?

Another thing, if I'm not mistaken, is it correct that all of the spoken interludes are done by voice actors whereas the singing ones (the 4 mentioned above) are done by Hansi?

Avelar

#23 Post by Avelar » 16 Nov 2010 16:51

Black Chamber was played for sure. I remember it been on a bootleg.

Orodaran

#24 Post by Orodaran » 16 Nov 2010 20:50

Dragon Guardian wrote:BTW, I was wondering if they ever played the short interludes found on NIME such as the Minstrell, Dark Elf,Out of the Water, Battle of Sudden Flame and SFB's Black Chamber?

Another thing, if I'm not mistaken, is it correct that all of the spoken interludes are done by voice actors whereas the singing ones (the 4 mentioned above) are done by Hansi?
They didn't even play all the "real" NIME songs, so most definitively they didn't play any of the interludes either.

And well, for the sung interludes - they're sung, Hansi is the singer.... draw the conclusion :wink:
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Led Guardian

#25 Post by Led Guardian » 16 Nov 2010 21:37

Orodaran wrote:
Dragon Guardian wrote:BTW, I was wondering if they ever played the short interludes found on NIME such as the Minstrell, Dark Elf,Out of the Water, Battle of Sudden Flame and SFB's Black Chamber?

They didn't even play all the "real" NIME songs, so most definitively they didn't play any of the interludes either.

And well, for the sung interludes - they're sung, Hansi is the singer.... draw the conclusion :wink:
I have a bootleg recording of Battle of Sudden Flame, so they played at least one.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Orodaran

#26 Post by Orodaran » 16 Nov 2010 23:50

Really? nice!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Led Guardian

#27 Post by Led Guardian » 17 Nov 2010 00:14

Orodaran wrote:Really? nice!
It was in a compilation of rare live songs that somebody posted here a while ago.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

pingu53

#28 Post by pingu53 » 21 Nov 2010 03:59

A Night At HR 3 Radio (2002)

Título: A Night At HR 3 Radio - Live At Stadthalle, Langen, Germany (29.04.02)
Año: 2002
Formato: mp3
Calidad: 192kbps
Tamaño: 90.8 MB
Uploader: Herr Inoddorell

Tracklist:

01. Welcome To Dying
02. Nightfall
03. The Script For My Requiem
04. The Bard's Song (In The Forest)
05. Valhalla
06. The Soulforged
07. Run For The Night
08. Mordred's Song
09. Punishment Devine
10. Harvest Of Sorrow
11. Imaginations From The Other Side
12. Lost In The Twilight Hall
A Battalions of Fear song other than majesty in the 2000s!?!?!?

Shadow_Zero

#29 Post by Shadow_Zero » 22 Dec 2015 14:58

LeBard wrote:The Hobbit has been played, it was a frequently in the setlist from it's inception until the Nightfall tour. Then it disappeared, never to be seen again. Well, it did reappear once, during the Imagination Through the Looking Glass recording. Didn't make the DVD, though. Other notable songs that have not appeared are (from my memory):
Curse of Feanor
Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)
A Dark Passage

Which is weird, considering NIME is their most successful album to date.
Total Google randomness got me here, but I still felt inclined to reply ;)
They played The Hobbit in the Netherlands (Lucky, Rijssen) as one of the pre/try-out shows for BG Open Air.