A Question for the Wise

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
F4ceYourFe4rs

A Question for the Wise

#1 Post by F4ceYourFe4rs » 28 Oct 2010 01:41

Hello BG forum members! I come to you seeking an answer to a question which you may or may not know, but I figured this was the best place to go!

Wayyyyyy back in 2006, I had a friend who was a fan of pretty much any type of music that's in the metal genre, and one of his favorite bands was Blind Guardian. While browsing his MySpace one day (back when that was popular :P), I saw that his profile song was the then-newly-released single, "Fly." After hearing the song, I immediately fell in love with it.

(I apologize in advance for bringing up the discussion of illegal downloading down below, and I hope it's not taken too strictly here, but the subject must be brought up)

Soonafter, I brought up Limewire (which was also popular at the time) and ran a search for "Fly." Many results came up, but I just clicked on one of the songs that was most downloaded and when it was finished, I uploaded it to my mp3 player and went about my business.

Well, a few days later, I was on MySpace, and decided to go to BG's page and listen to more of their music. "Fly" came on first, and while I was looking at the other songs they had up, I quickly realized something: the song that I had on my mp3 player was not the same "Fly" that I was currently listening to! I double-checked, and surely enough, I was right. Apparently, like many P2P networks, the music was mistagged. The song sounded similar to BG, but I guess I never realized the difference.

Since things like Shazam was not around at the time, I never figured out what that song was. I've researched BG demos/rarities from that time, and even pre-TITM, but to no avail.

That is where you guys come in. Does anyone know of a song that was going around, by BG or another band (Iced Earth, Demons & Wizards, etc.), that was mistaken to be "Fly?" I could easily go on Limewire and search for songs, but unfortunately, I'm on a college network right now and those kinds of things are obviously against the law.

Thank you so much for your time, and I hope that someone can give an answer! :)

F4ceYourFe4rs

t.a.j.

Re: A Question for the Wise

#2 Post by t.a.j. » 28 Oct 2010 02:06

It would be helpful if you cloud provide parts of the lyrics.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

F4ceYourFe4rs

#3 Post by F4ceYourFe4rs » 28 Oct 2010 02:10

See, that's the thing, if I knew the lyrics, I would just search it on my own, but unfortunately, I don't know them. Sorry :/

The only info I can provide is that it was mistagged as "Blind Guardian - Fly" and that it wasn't anything like the "Fly" I know.

Led Guardian

#4 Post by Led Guardian » 28 Oct 2010 02:16

If it had the same riffs, but different lyrics, then it's Dead Sound of Misery, which is just an alternate version of Fly. If that's not it, I have no idea what you've got.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Precurser

#5 Post by Precurser » 28 Oct 2010 02:24

The song Dead Sound of Misery is a song made to be almost exactly like Fly, but with different lyrics and a different pitch.
You just looked at my signature.

thrashinbatman

#6 Post by thrashinbatman » 28 Oct 2010 04:22

I think I MAY know what you're talking about. If it isn't Dead Sound of Misery, then it MIGHT be Therion's Flesh of the Gods. I tried to download Fly, and got that song. It has Hansi singing, but aside from that doesn't sound like BG.

F4ceYourFe4rs

#7 Post by F4ceYourFe4rs » 28 Oct 2010 06:22

thrashinbatman wrote:I think I MAY know what you're talking about. If it isn't Dead Sound of Misery, then it MIGHT be Therion's Flesh of the Gods. I tried to download Fly, and got that song. It has Hansi singing, but aside from that doesn't sound like BG.
That's it!! I knew it was something with Hansi in it!! Thank you soooooo much!!

Traveller in Time

#8 Post by Traveller in Time » 28 Oct 2010 19:12

Now thrashinbatman can be officially called a wise illegal downloader :lol:
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

thrashinbatman

#9 Post by thrashinbatman » 29 Oct 2010 00:23

Traveller in Time wrote:Now thrashinbatman can be officially called a wise illegal downloader :lol:
Haha, I suppose so. :P I try to not download albums, but when it comes to individual songs I go crazy. This is what eventually happens when you do such a thing.

Traveller in Time

#10 Post by Traveller in Time » 30 Oct 2010 13:54

thrashinbatman wrote: Haha, I suppose so. :P I try to not download albums, but when it comes to individual songs I go crazy. This is what eventually happens when you do such a thing.
I see you are just a maniac like everyone else here (me included) :D
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!