anato still the greatest album ever

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
tigs6969

anato still the greatest album ever

#1 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Sep 2010 07:26

you know when you dont listen to the greatest album ever for like a month or 2 and than today you put it on full blast and sing your fucking lungs out and you know it is still the greatest album ever
still the greatest album ever

Avelar

Re: anato still the greatest album ever

#2 Post by Avelar » 27 Sep 2010 08:14

Everything is possible... At least ANATO has two unbelievably emotional and probably their best songs: Battlefield and ATTWS.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

tigs6969

#3 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Sep 2010 16:32

but seriously the guys changed power metal with this album. like they just... i cant explain
its probably the loudest album ever made i mean not even avantasias metal operas are so layered and all over the place and in seven angels its like 7 people singing as one...

SomeEurosHateAmerica

#4 Post by SomeEurosHateAmerica » 27 Sep 2010 16:44

^
Yeah, by "layered" and "loud" do you mean "overproduced", "incoherent in some places", and "messy" in others?

The album did not "change power metal". There as many people who strongly dislike that album as people who worship it. Even Hansi said that he'd like to go back and re-mix it if he could. Even the band acknowledges that the product was not up to their standards, especially after "Nightfall In Middle-Earth", the album that was ACTUALLY revolutionary (and more universally beloved by the metal community at large).

OK, this is my first and last comment on this issue. I can only take so many random friggin "ANATO IS THE BEST ALBUMR EVAARRR!!!111" threads made by random ANATO apologists. Maybe I'll comment on one again next year.

bestpike

#5 Post by bestpike » 27 Sep 2010 17:16

Apologists? You can't apologize for something you like or you don't like :(. Myself, I consider Anato great maybe not as the greatest album of BG, but from the perspective of the band needing to reinvent themselves after the culmination of their music called NiME, instead of just copying themselves over and over from that point on, its a fucking achievement. Bands after their writing their masterpieces usually fall into unproductiveness. It's been 3 albums since NiME now, and all 3 are excellent and different. Anato was the little brother that had to stood up to the footsteps of his older brother in terms of inspiration and uniqueness, and he did fine. And you know how hard that is.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

SomeEurosHateAmerica

#6 Post by SomeEurosHateAmerica » 27 Sep 2010 17:23

I call them "apologists" because ANATO "love threads" are disproportionate to any other threads specifically praising other BG albums, despite the fact that MANY people simply do not rank it that high. I'm confident that the reason behind this phenomenon is that passionate fans of ANATO recognize that they're in the minority and constantly feel compelled to sing ANATO praises out of some weird delusion that tells them if they just keep talking about the album enough, other people will start to believe it's awesome too. Hence, their over compensation for their tastes in the form of random, periodic outbursts of fandom for a less-than-popular album betrays an apologetic attitude by simultaneously acknowledging that most people do not agree with their assessment and urging people to join their side.

bestpike

#7 Post by bestpike » 27 Sep 2010 17:34

SomeEurosHateAmerica wrote:I call them "apologists" because ANATO "love threads" are disproportionate to any other threads specifically praising other BG albums, despite the fact that MANY people simply do not rank it that high. I'm confident that the reason behind this phenomenon is that passionate fans of ANATO recognize that they're in the minority and constantly feel compelled to sing ANATO praises out of some weird delusion that tells them if they just keep talking about the album enough, other people will start to believe it's awesome too.
Yeah I guess you're right. They are the minority alright, but you don't see any "Follow the Blind is the best BG album ever" threads either :P. These threads mean that there is indeed something in Anato to like or be considered the best album ever, these people are not lying. It's the human nature, they like Anato the most, and I believe they truly do, and by expressing it they try to make others see its brilliance. To give an example that comes to mind I always state I liked Batman Begins more than the Dark Knight, since it was the one that reinvented the Batman series and basically Dark Knight got all the glory, but at the same time I know the majority of people just like Dark Knight better. If the majority liked Begins like me, I would probably not say it so often, since it would have been the norm :P. I'm sure you have an example such as this for yourself too :wink: .
Forever to be free

Dragonfly

#8 Post by Dragonfly » 27 Sep 2010 17:52

As for me, I haven't yet got into ANATO, but now I can already say that I like "Sadly Sings Destiny" (by the way, have they ever played it live?) and I am totally fond of "And Then There Was Silence" - it pictures the Trojan War in a flawless way. And I like everything connected to those events of ancient times :D
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

bestpike

#9 Post by bestpike » 27 Sep 2010 19:38

Dragonfly wrote:As for me, I haven't yet got into ANATO, but now I can already say that I like "Sadly Sings Destiny" (by the way, have they ever played it live?) and I am totally fond of "And Then There Was Silence" - it pictures the Trojan War in a flawless way. And I like everything connected to those events of ancient times :D
It took me over 3 years to "get" Punishment Divine. To go through the whole album is really tough and takes years. But again back then I was kinda new to the BG sound and it was very overwhelming to my untrained ear. The latest song I "discovered" is Sadly Sings Destiny, I always liked it kinda, but now I see that it's a really brilliant song. And that's 7 years after I first listened to the album.
Forever to be free

Orodaran

#10 Post by Orodaran » 27 Sep 2010 20:35

SomeEurosHateAmerica wrote:I call them "apologists" because ANATO "love threads" are disproportionate to any other threads specifically praising other BG albums, despite the fact that MANY people simply do not rank it that high. I'm confident that the reason behind this phenomenon is that passionate fans of ANATO recognize that they're in the minority and constantly feel compelled to sing ANATO praises out of some weird delusion that tells them if they just keep talking about the album enough, other people will start to believe it's awesome too. Hence, their over compensation for their tastes in the form of random, periodic outbursts of fandom for a less-than-popular album betrays an apologetic attitude by simultaneously acknowledging that most people do not agree with their assessment and urging people to join their side.
Who cares if people join my side or not? I like A Night at the Opera very much, if other people don't, it's their goddamn loss :lol:

I don't need approval to like something the majority dislikes, or to feel ashamed to dislike something that the majority likes.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

SomeEurosHateAmerica

#11 Post by SomeEurosHateAmerica » 27 Sep 2010 21:42

Orodaran wrote:
Who cares if people join my side or not? I like A Night at the Opera very much, if other people don't, it's their goddamn loss :lol:

I don't need approval to like something the majority dislikes, or to feel ashamed to dislike something that the majority likes.
I concur with your attitude on the issue; therefore there's no reason for me to scream about how awesome things I like are when I know my praises are received as annoying by the majority. I can be a silent minority with my weird preferences.

bestpike

#12 Post by bestpike » 27 Sep 2010 21:52

SomeEurosHateAmerica wrote: I concur with your attitude on the issue; therefore there's no reason for me to scream about how awesome things I like are when I know my praises are received as annoying by the majority. I can be a silent minority with my weird preferences.
So what you are saying is, if an album is buried by the media and the vast majority, and I actually like it, I shouldn't write a review about it stating what I liked about it? I should stay silent? Why? My review could help other people see the value of the album. Don't forget that many things are passed as garbage only to receive triumphant reviews many years later. Blade Runner was deemed as bollocks by the critics, and it was a flop on the box office. Today its considered a masterpiece and its 113 best movie on the Imdb. If you were one of the guys that liked Blade Runner since its release, wouldn't you scream about how good it is, when you see all this unfair criticism?
Forever to be free

SomeEurosHateAmerica

#13 Post by SomeEurosHateAmerica » 27 Sep 2010 22:08

bestpike wrote:
SomeEurosHateAmerica wrote: I concur with your attitude on the issue; therefore there's no reason for me to scream about how awesome things I like are when I know my praises are received as annoying by the majority. I can be a silent minority with my weird preferences.
So what you are saying is, if an album is buried by the media and the vast majority, and I actually like it, I shouldn't write a review about it stating what I liked about it? I should stay silent? Why? My review could help other people see the value of the album. Don't forget that many things are passed as garbage only to receive triumphant reviews many years later. Blade Runner was deemed as bollocks by the critics, and it was a flop on the box office. Today its considered a masterpiece and its 113 best movie on the Imdb. If you were one of the guys that liked Blade Runner since its release, wouldn't you scream about how good it is, when you see all this unfair criticism?
No, that's not what I said. The point is to know your audience. Nothing you said in this thread contained any new insight into A Night at the Opera. It's been written about ad nauseum here. If you think that there are people who, for lack of understanding or exposure, need to know the grandeur that is ANATO then by all means attempt to convert them. But let's be real, man. It's been like seven years since ANATO came out and you're on the friggin Blind Guardian forum. We've all already made up our minds about it.

bestpike

#14 Post by bestpike » 27 Sep 2010 22:16

SomeEurosHateAmerica wrote:
No, that's not what I said. The point is to know your audience. Nothing you said in this thread contained any new insight into A Night at the Opera. It's been written about ad nauseum here. If you think that there are people who, for lack of understanding or exposure, need to know the grandeur that is ANATO then by all means attempt to convert them. But let's be real, man. It's been like seven years since ANATO came out and you're on the friggin Blind Guardian forum. We've all already made up our minds about it.
I don't think even half of our members here are 7 year old fans. I also don't think its useless to state you like something, although to convince someone to give something another chance you surely need to say a bit more than "isn't this just awesome?". To that you're right. After all, complicated albums like Anato can only be appreciated by listening to death. Even 7 years of continuous listening are maybe not enough to grasp this particular album. At least for me. I'm still exploring it even after so many years. Whenever I put the CD on, I still think that I don't "know" this album yet completely. That in itself, is amazing.
Forever to be free

Cash Bone

#15 Post by Cash Bone » 27 Sep 2010 23:00

Arguing about taste, huh?

Watch out so you don't go mad :wink:

Led Guardian

#16 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Sep 2010 23:28

Let the opinions flow. To tell the minority that they should have to be silent, even only in particular situations, is to create a more stagnant and less vital society. This goes from something as small as an album or as large as a political system. So even if people have already heard it, don't be ashamed to state your love for the album.

Oh, and ANatO is great. :D
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

SomeEurosHateAmerica

#17 Post by SomeEurosHateAmerica » 28 Sep 2010 00:24

Led Guardian wrote:Let the opinions flow. To tell the minority that they should have to be silent, even only in particular situations, is to create a more stagnant and less vital society. This goes from something as small as an album or as large as a political system. So even if people have already heard it, don't be ashamed to state your love for the album.

Oh, and ANatO is great. :D
I'm going to put your advice into practice to demonstrate how dumb it is.

SomeEurosHateAmerica

#18 Post by SomeEurosHateAmerica » 28 Sep 2010 00:34

Cash Bone wrote:Arguing about taste, huh?

Watch out so you don't go mad :wink:
The argument is not about taste. You missed the point.

bestpike

#19 Post by bestpike » 28 Sep 2010 00:44

SomeEurosHateAmerica wrote:

I'm going to put your advice into practice to demonstrate how dumb it is.
u mad bro? :lol:
Forever to be free

tigs6969

#20 Post by tigs6969 » 28 Sep 2010 00:48

i love when nerds make up their own mind what people do
didnt even know the album was hated... just wanted to come on the bg board and praise my fave BG album and fave album ever but if nerds want to tell me that im making a topic for a different reason than i am than you can do that :) does it make you feel special?

tigs6969

#21 Post by tigs6969 » 28 Sep 2010 00:55

SomeEurosHateAmerica wrote:I call them "apologists" because ANATO "love threads" are disproportionate to any other threads specifically praising other BG albums, despite the fact that MANY people simply do not rank it that high. I'm confident that the reason behind this phenomenon is that passionate fans of ANATO recognize that they're in the minority and constantly feel compelled to sing ANATO praises out of some weird delusion that tells them if they just keep talking about the album enough, other people will start to believe it's awesome too. Hence, their over compensation for their tastes in the form of random, periodic outbursts of fandom for a less-than-popular album betrays an apologetic attitude by simultaneously acknowledging that most people do not agree with their assessment and urging people to join their side.
the true reason i made this topic people. not that its my fave album... no i wanted to start a conspiracy on the bg board
thats them nerds for you ay, thinking they know better than the actual person themselve :) you think that mr nerd and you have happy time over it :D

Mahoora

#22 Post by Mahoora » 28 Sep 2010 15:18

Back to the main topic: ANATO is the greatest album ever!! but the problem is that ATEoT is paving its way up!!
All those plans and hopes and dreams what happens to them? it's only a handfull of the lucky ones who can look back and say that they even came close.
You can't take it with you. act III,scene I

tigs6969

#23 Post by tigs6969 » 28 Sep 2010 15:28

Mahoora wrote:Back to the main topic: ANATO is the greatest album ever!! but the problem is that ATEoT is paving its way up!!
as much as i love the album, anato is just too much better.
change the piano of war of the thrones with the acoustic it would move up a bit. i like the piano version but imo the guitar had more voice

bestpike

#24 Post by bestpike » 28 Sep 2010 15:39

tigs6969 wrote:
Mahoora wrote:Back to the main topic: ANATO is the greatest album ever!! but the problem is that ATEoT is paving its way up!!
change the piano of war of the thrones with the acoustic it would move up a bit. i like the piano version but imo the guitar had more voice
If you like you can refrain from saying too much this is better than that. It's only your opinion. It's better to say I like this more than that, or just say specific things that are better, not just generally use the word "better". Being absolute like that isn't nice. After all, you might change your mind later.
Forever to be free

Palantyre

#25 Post by Palantyre » 28 Sep 2010 16:21

ANATO does have some great songs on it, and I wouldn't rank it that far below IFTOS and NIME, music-wise.

But good gods THE SOUNDS ARE FUCKING HORRIBLE. Seriously, the album sounds like a fucking kettle of porridge burbling away on the stove, hurble burble blarb.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

tigs6969

#26 Post by tigs6969 » 28 Sep 2010 16:36

bestpike wrote:
tigs6969 wrote:
If you like you can refrain from saying too much this is better than that. It's only your opinion. It's better to say I like this more than that, or just say specific things that are better, not just generally use the word "better". Being absolute like that isn't nice. After all, you might change your mind later.
lets just say its on top of the ladder and no album has surpassed it in turns of blowing me over. the only 2 that have come close in blowing me away apart from anato are rhapsody of fire - frozen tears of angels and avantasia - the wicked symphony
though i will say if i was in the 60s and the beatles id probably be speaking different :P

tigs6969

#27 Post by tigs6969 » 28 Sep 2010 16:38

Palantyre wrote:ANATO does have some great songs on it, and I wouldn't rank it that far below IFTOS and NIME, music-wise.

But good gods THE SOUNDS ARE FUCKING HORRIBLE. Seriously, the album sounds like a fucking kettle of porridge burbling away on the stove, hurble burble blarb.
really? ive always considered the sounds perfect but i must be in the minority... even hansi wants to remix it, no?

ent

#28 Post by ent » 28 Sep 2010 21:11

ANATO maybe not the best album but there is something that makes it special :D
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

thrashinbatman

#29 Post by thrashinbatman » 30 Sep 2010 18:22

I myself love ANATO, but it isn't the best. It also doesn't sound GREAT, but it's alright. The rhythm guitar is WAY too far down in the mix.

arenamaster

#30 Post by arenamaster » 24 Mar 2011 00:58

lmao i just discovered this thread, and anato is the best album and set the bar for what power metal should be

if you doesn't think so, fuck off

if hansi doesn't think so, eh can fuck off

if the rest of the band don't think so, they can fuck off

if god doesn't think so, he can fuck off

ANATO is king and always will be
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
But as long as I breathe,
Each smile in my bleak face,
I'm on my way to find
Back to the peace of mind!

arenamaster

#31 Post by arenamaster » 24 Mar 2011 09:10

reading this again is just so funny because SomeEurosHateAmerica can't stand other people's opinions

he's so mad
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
I'm on my way to find

T3hOverlord

#32 Post by T3hOverlord » 25 Mar 2011 08:18

SomeEurosHateAmerica wrote:^
Yeah, by "Nightfall" and "Mirror Mirror" do you mean "overproduced", "incoherent in some places", and "messy" in others?

The album did not "change power metal". There as many people who strongly dislike that album as people who worship it. Even Hansi said that he'd like to go back and re-mix it if he could. Even the band acknowledges that the product was not up to their standards, especially after "Symphonies of Doom", the album that was ACTUALLY revolutionary (and more universally beloved by the metal community at large).

OK, this is my first and last comment on this issue. I can only take so many random friggin "NiME IS THE BEST ALBUMR EVAARRR!!!111" threads made by random NiME apologists. Maybe I'll comment on one again next year.

yamasidious

#33 Post by yamasidious » 26 Mar 2011 01:31

tigs6969 wrote:as much as i love the album, anato is just too much better.
also if they replaced Valkyries with the Valkyries extended version It would move up even More.

For me NIME and ANATO are a tie for best album ever. I will say that ANATO is more fun to sing along with. :D

arenamaster

#34 Post by arenamaster » 26 Mar 2011 05:09

valkyries extended?
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
I'm on my way to find

yamasidious

#35 Post by yamasidious » 27 Mar 2011 03:27

arenamaster wrote:valkyries extended?
Yeah it is a bonus track on the Japan release.

Mackasfour

#36 Post by Mackasfour » 31 Mar 2011 12:10

SomeEurosHateAmerica wrote:^
Yeah, by "layered" and "loud" do you mean "overproduced", "incoherent in some places", and "messy" in others?

The album did not "change power metal". There as many people who strongly dislike that album as people who worship it. Even Hansi said that he'd like to go back and re-mix it if he could. Even the band acknowledges that the product was not up to their standards, especially after "Nightfall In Middle-Earth", the album that was ACTUALLY revolutionary (and more universally beloved by the metal community at large).

OK, this is my first and last comment on this issue. I can only take so many random friggin "ANATO IS THE BEST ALBUMR EVAARRR!!!111" threads made by random ANATO apologists. Maybe I'll comment on one again next year.
*insert trollface* u mad bro?
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."