OFFICIAL SETLIST TOPIC

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Led Guardian

Re: OFFICIAL SETLIST TOPIC

#151 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Sep 2010 23:31

Page. 8)
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Cigoth

#152 Post by Cigoth » 27 Sep 2010 23:34

Tsk, double-posting to get a page. Bravo Led, bravo. :roll:
What started in the underworld,
It should be finished here and now.

Led Guardian

#153 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Sep 2010 23:44

Cigoth wrote:Tsk, double-posting to get a page. Bravo Led, bravo. :roll:
Your congratulations warm my heart.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

teo_guardian

#154 Post by teo_guardian » 28 Sep 2010 02:32

NDS wrote: Who wants to mosh during a BG show? :shock:
You should know that BG doesn't play music on which you mosh.
What???

Lilyael

#155 Post by Lilyael » 28 Sep 2010 13:24

spamel wrote:Did they mention anything in London about heading back this way in the next 12 months? And are they aware that Britain goes a lot further north after London! :roll: I didn't make the hike on public transport as the effort is just unbelievable and I'm coming from Yorkshire. Imagine the hassles for a Scottish fan making that trip! :shock:
I'm from Newcastle, and went to Tilburg rather than bother with London. Didn't cost that much on easyjet/megabus.
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

BlindGuardianGuy23

#156 Post by BlindGuardianGuy23 » 28 Sep 2010 13:52

Lilyael wrote:
spamel wrote:Did they mention anything in London about heading back this way in the next 12 months? And are they aware that Britain goes a lot further north after London! :roll: I didn't make the hike on public transport as the effort is just unbelievable and I'm coming from Yorkshire. Imagine the hassles for a Scottish fan making that trip! :shock:
I'm from Newcastle, and went to Tilburg rather than bother with London. Didn't cost that much on easyjet/megabus.
At least some bands visit up north! I come from the ass-end of England (Plymouth) that 90% of good bands ignore! I have to make the trip up to London/Bristol/Birmingham for any decent gig! Blind Guardian at London was obviously no exception. SO worth it though...

Edain

#157 Post by Edain » 28 Sep 2010 14:28

You can only do one thing about that: Getting all your friends and calling your local promoters, telling them that you want to see Blind Guardian. If they don't know anyone who wants to see the band, they won't book them.
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Gandalf de Grijze

#158 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Sep 2010 17:54

Just got back from london, I'll give my full review of both gigs (london and tilburg) and i'll reply to some stuff without quoting.

First of all: QUIT WHINING FOR MAJESTY.. Ask for The Martyr in stead, way more awesome! :wink:

Secondly: I'm still a bit disappointed in the shortness of the setlists. I don't care about Enforcer cancelling, I wanna see BG, not teh supports. But playing 1h40 or 1h50 is very short on a club tour. Especially when you've been telling people about the many songs you rehearsed and end up changing only 2 or 3 per show. Add 2 or 3 songs and make the setlist a bit more varying.

Thirdly: Either solve the sound problems, or fire the sound engineer. In Tilburg I thought the not so good sound (mostly too much drums and bass and having André's guitar too soft) had something to do with the venue, but after having been to London it seems it is more of a problem with the engineer.

General impressions from both gigs:
-Hansi's singing is awesome
-wheel of time is even more awesome, and I really like the fact that they go off stage during the oriental intermezzo, they probably couldn't even do it themselves live without losing too much of the song, also the video shown on the videowall is awesome!
-Tilburg had waaaay more atmosphere, the London crowd was rather dull in comparison. And they didn't even get some of the announcements made by Hansi, unless he spelled the songs out for them (which earned them some sarcastic remarks from Hansi)
-Didn't like A Voice In The Dark much live, but that may have something to do with the sound settings, because where other songs were still recognisable, AVITD was just a murky wall of sound out of which you hoped to sing the chorus at teh right moment.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Cigoth

#159 Post by Cigoth » 28 Sep 2010 19:49

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:-Didn't like A Voice In The Dark much live, but that may have something to do with the sound settings, because where other songs were still recognisable, AVITD was just a murky wall of sound out of which you hoped to sing the chorus at teh right moment.
Do you mean in comparison to the studio version or to the live version in Tilburg? Because I think AVITD sounded way better live in Tilburg than on the album.

Also great to hear that Hansi is still in a good shape. :)

Gandalf de Grijze

#160 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Sep 2010 19:53

I really didn't like it live in Tilburg either... I had to guess which guitarlead was being played, i had to guess what hansi was singing..
It really sounded like a murky wall of sound being bombarded at me.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Cigoth

#161 Post by Cigoth » 28 Sep 2010 20:34

That's odd... where were you standing? I was hearing the lyrics perfectly clear from about the 10th row in the middle.

Gandalf de Grijze

#162 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Sep 2010 20:48

i was more towards the left

bestpike

#163 Post by bestpike » 28 Sep 2010 22:54

Anyone has the France setlist yet?:D
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Avelar

#164 Post by Avelar » 28 Sep 2010 23:02

I'm waiting for it too. The fourth gig of the tour should be over now. Although, I don't think there will be anything interesting until the tour comes to Germany.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

bestpike

#165 Post by bestpike » 29 Sep 2010 01:48

For some reason the London and France setlists in setlist.fm don't have Mirror Mirror in the end but around the middle. How is this possible? Anyone can clarify?
Forever to be free

Led Guardian

#166 Post by Led Guardian » 29 Sep 2010 02:21

bestpike wrote:For some reason the London and France setlists in setlist.fm don't have Mirror Mirror in the end but around the middle. How is this possible? Anyone can clarify?
Yes, they aren't always playing it at the end anymore. :wink:

bestpike

#167 Post by bestpike » 29 Sep 2010 02:40

Man that's great. I bet the London dudes got a real surprise since they couldn't see it coming :wink: ! Hmm does that mean we're moving to the gradual change of the final song? To Wheel of Time maybe? I think it would be an awesome change after all these years. Wheel of Time is really worthy for a finisher!
Forever to be free

Led Guardian

#168 Post by Led Guardian » 29 Sep 2010 02:52

bestpike wrote:Man that's great. I bet the London dudes got a real surprise since they couldn't see it coming :wink: ! Hmm does that mean we're moving to the gradual change of the final song? To Wheel of Time maybe? I think it would be an awesome change after all these years. Wheel of Time is really worthy for a finisher!
I'm hoping it means we're moving to a generally bolder setlist. But, I'm sure people already know my feelings on that. :wink:

bestpike

#169 Post by bestpike » 29 Sep 2010 03:43

Led Guardian wrote: I'm hoping it means we're moving to a generally bolder setlist. But, I'm sure people already know my feelings on that. :wink:
Just don't expect more than 3 Ateot songs on a single show :D . Previous gigs have shown they never play more than that from their latest album. I think 3 is a good balanced number.
Forever to be free

Avelar

#170 Post by Avelar » 29 Sep 2010 08:17

Three is ok, but they could vary these songs. I've been waiting for Tanelorn (Into The Void) or Ride Into Obsession, but they played the same three ATEOT songs on the fourth gig in a row.

A Past And Future Secret is the newest addition to the 2010 setlists. Let's see what the Ludwigsburg show will bring us. There must be some old, never played song(s) finally. Wishful thinking...

drummer88

#171 Post by drummer88 » 29 Sep 2010 08:50

Avelar wrote:Three is ok, but they could vary these songs. I've been waiting for Tanelorn (Into The Void) or Ride Into Obsession, but they played the same three ATEOT songs on the fourth gig in a row.

A Past And Future Secret is the newest addition to the 2010 setlists. Let's see what the Ludwigsburg show will bring us. There must be some old, never played song(s) finally. Wishful thinking...
yeah definitly....I mean when the guys from the METAL HAMMER were there they played tanelorn, ashes to ashes and I'm alive...I don't understand why they don't at least play those songs.....songs like traveler in time, another holy war or imaginations have been played a thousand times already

Hylirion

#172 Post by Hylirion » 29 Sep 2010 11:13

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I really didn't like it live in Tilburg either... I had to guess which guitarlead was being played, i had to guess what hansi was singing..
Funny, I had exactly the same feeling about A voice in the dark. (was standing on balcony on the left side). I didn't recognise the song up untill people started singing the chorus. The strange thing was all the other songs sounded great for me.

Gandalf de Grijze

#173 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 29 Sep 2010 14:29

Hylirion wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I really didn't like it live in Tilburg either... I had to guess which guitarlead was being played, i had to guess what hansi was singing..
Funny, I had exactly the same feeling about A voice in the dark. (was standing on balcony on the left side). I didn't recognise the song up untill people started singing the chorus. The strange thing was all the other songs sounded great for me.
well, not great.. there was still too much bass and drums in most of the other songs as well, which is annoying when it comes down to bassdrums.
but the rest of the songs at least were great besides that.

And I just wish they would have played APAFS in holland, fucking LOVE that song

ent

#174 Post by ent » 29 Sep 2010 14:36

I think you could put at least 2-3 songs at concerts because 16 songs is somehow a bit, as if in a set list of missing some songs :(
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

Joshua rain

#175 Post by Joshua rain » 29 Sep 2010 15:55

I think 1.50 h is actually a nice playtime, bands that play longer have these drumsolos of 15 minutes, it really pulls you out of the concert imo but BG play songs for the entire time, I was standing right of the stage actually in Tilburg but AVITD was sounding rather great from over there

Gandalf de Grijze

#176 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 29 Sep 2010 16:24

well, consider that BG don't do solo's and i've usually see them play about 2h15m.. so then 1h50m is rather short.. plus they've said in iunterviews they'd play 2h at least, maybe even 2h30

Shadow_Zero

#177 Post by Shadow_Zero » 29 Sep 2010 20:21

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
Hylirion wrote:
well, not great.. there was still too much bass and drums in most of the other songs as well, which is annoying when it comes down to bassdrums.
but the rest of the songs at least were great besides that.

And I just wish they would have played APAFS in holland, fucking LOVE that song
*agrees on AVitD* Quite murky sound. But I could hear the live potential anyways ;) There were 1 or 2 more songs which had the murky sound problem. I was standing in the middle, on the floor.
And APAFS is indeed zwaar heersch :)

But if my memory serves me well I don't think Blind Guardian has ever played over 2 hours (not the shows I've visited in Holland since 2002).

LeBard

#178 Post by LeBard » 29 Sep 2010 20:48

About the show length, I checked the set list from this tour and compared it with a random set from 2006 and the set is actually longer now.

Edain

#179 Post by Edain » 29 Sep 2010 21:09

Haven't seen a show from this tour up to now, but concerning AVitD: I wouldn't call it a surprise, that this one sounds muddy live. In my opinion it's a weak song (with some glorious parts) - hardly any distinctive riffs, few great melodies or interesting rhythm-parts. Just a lot of tremolo-picking. Still I'm looking forward to the show. :P

About the setlists - I think it's alright that they play "only" three songs from the album: Don't forget that this makes up more than 20 minutes. That's 4 or 5 songs from another band's album. :wink: But I'm also underwhelmed by the rest of the setlist: It's good they changed the first and last song, but still almost half of the setlist consists of IFTOS- and pre-IFTOS songs - no doubt, they also have to please the casual metalhead and the older fans, but that's too much IMO.

bestpike

#180 Post by bestpike » 29 Sep 2010 21:14

Edain wrote:Haven't seen a show from this tour up to now, but concerning AVitD: I wouldn't call it a surprise, that this one sounds muddy live. In my opinion it's a weak song (with some glorious parts) - hardly any distinctive riffs, few great melodies or interesting rhythm-parts. Just a lot of tremolo-picking. Still I'm looking forward to the show. :P

About the setlists - I think it's alright that they play "only" three songs from the album: Don't forget that this makes up more than 20 minutes. That's 4 or 5 songs from another band's album. :wink: But I'm also underwhelmed by the rest of the setlist: It's good they changed the first and last song, but still almost half of the setlist consists of IFTOS- and pre-IFTOS songs - no doubt, they also have to please the casual metalhead and the older fans, but that's too much IMO.
Half of the setlist consists of songs from the first half of their discography. How is that too much? It's evenly balanced. If anything, it should have been more than half, as its 5 of 9 albums until Iftos, which is more than half.
Forever to be free

Edain

#181 Post by Edain » 29 Sep 2010 21:19

Sure, but more than half of the setlist has been played hundreds of times before while half the newer albums have never been played yet - and probably won't. (I can understand that they play a more balanced set in regions where they don't appear very often, but here in middle-europe, especially Germany/Austria/Netherlands...) You can't establish new live classics if you don't introduce them properly.

bestpike

#182 Post by bestpike » 29 Sep 2010 21:55

I think that's because later songs are more complicated or demanding or even impossible to play. I wish they were played too.
Forever to be free

tigs6969

#183 Post by tigs6969 » 30 Sep 2010 15:29

bestpike wrote:I think that's because later songs are more complicated or demanding or even impossible to play. I wish they were played too.
if you mean impossible to play compared to studio ill agree with you on most of twist as as much as i love hansi he sounded horrible, when compared to studio, playing turn the page live and the rest of it... i myself love the sound they have on the album, many people dislike it it seems, but hansi made a mistake of sounding too clean on this album so his rough voice ruin the songs live
now with anato, songs they havent played, precious jerusalem yes would be hard, battlefield would be hard, maiden and minstrel knight wouldnt be hard and it would be nice to see it out there, sadly sings destiny wouldnt be hard,under the ice wouldn't the background chants at the start wouldnt be there though, age of false innocent wouldnt be too hard ... all imo, and soulforged has been played but yeah doubt theyll bring it back
now ateot imo the only song theyd really have trouble with is ride into obsession, im really hoping they play curse my name!!!

Drex

#184 Post by Drex » 30 Sep 2010 15:39

^ Under the Ice has been played

Shadow_Zero

#185 Post by Shadow_Zero » 30 Sep 2010 16:01

Affenfaust

#186 Post by Affenfaust » 30 Sep 2010 16:50

tomorrow :mrgreen: 1st BG concert, waited 10 years now :D

BG Archive

http://www.blind-guardian.com/tour/archive/

you can see the set lists and check what they changed

Someone posted this before me? :mrgreen:

greets
Affenfaust [Monkeyfist] :p

bestpike

#187 Post by bestpike » 02 Oct 2010 03:17

1 more song played, Banish from Sanctuary, for a total of 21. Going well :D
Forever to be free

drummer88

#188 Post by drummer88 » 02 Oct 2010 08:56

Nice, love that song...but the setlist still is quite disappointing....the setlist from the session with the METAL HAMMER was perfect...but too many songs were kicked :-( ...I cannot understand why they are always playing the same songs, instead of bring in some (I mean just 2 or 3 songs) newer, rare/never played songs

Energokinetic

#189 Post by Energokinetic » 02 Oct 2010 12:16

drummer88 wrote:Nice, love that song...but the setlist still is quite disappointing....the setlist from the session with the METAL HAMMER was perfect...but too many songs were kicked :-( ...I cannot understand why they are always playing the same songs, instead of bring in some (I mean just 2 or 3 songs) newer, rare/never played songs
Yeah, they have so many songs in their discography that get no love. The always play the same songs! I want them to play the bard's song (the hobbit) live :( last time they played it was in NIME's tour, 12 years ago.

Dentarthurdent

#190 Post by Dentarthurdent » 02 Oct 2010 12:34

I was trying yestereve after the gig to get the setlist together, but we weren't sure what came after nightfall...

The first songs were

Sacred Worlds
Welcome to Dying
Born in a Mourning Hall
Nightfall

The "last" song of the set was Mirror Mirror, and then came the encore wth

Punishment Divine
Bard's Song
Wheel of Time
Imaginations

The other songs were Valhalla, A Past and Future Secret, Fly, Banished From Sanctuary, Traveller in Time, Time Stands Still and A Voice in the Dark.

Sorted by albums, this makes a pretty god mix, i think:

0 BoF
2 FtB
2 TftTw
1 SfB
3 IftOS
3 NiME
1 ANatO
3 TSWoT

But only 15 songs in total, which is indeed rather short.

The sound was pretty good from my position (1st row, between Hansi and Marcus), I liked Hansi's announcements and Marcus was interacting pretty good with the crowd as well. I also feel the bards enjoyed the gig, André as well as Marcus had serious trouble getting those grins out of their faces.

And another final word, to round it all off:

Banished from Sanctuary! Wooohoooo!
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

drummer88

#191 Post by drummer88 » 02 Oct 2010 12:41

Dentarthurdent wrote:

0 BoF
2 FtB
2 TftTw
1 SfB
3 IftOS
3 NiME
1 ANatO
3 TSWoT

yes obviously the mix is quite good...but the could take other rare played songs from the album, replacing those songs that have been played 1000 in the last years...

but I my hope hasn't died that they'll take in some more treasure on the next gigs (especially in DDorf :-P)

bestpike

#192 Post by bestpike » 02 Oct 2010 12:44

Dentarthurdent wrote:I was trying yestereve after the gig to get the setlist together, but we weren't sure what came after nightfall...

The first songs were

Sacred Worlds
Welcome to Dying
Born in a Mourning Hall
Nightfall

The "last" song of the set was Mirror Mirror, and then came the encore wth

Punishment Divine
Bard's Song
Wheel of Time
Imaginations

The other songs were Valhalla, A Past and Future Secret, Fly, Banished From Sanctuary, Traveller in Time, Time Stands Still and A Voice in the Dark.

0 BoF
2 FtB
2 TftTw
1 SfB
3 IftOS
3 NiME
1 ANatO
3 TSWoT

But only 15 songs in total, which is indeed rather short.

The sound was pretty good from my position (1st row, between Hansi and Marcus), I liked Hansi's announcements and Marcus was interacting pretty good with the crowd as well. I also feel the bards enjoyed the gig, André as well as Marcus had serious trouble getting those grins out of their faces.

And another final word, to round it all off:

Banished from Sanctuary! Wooohoooo!
Dentar, you mentioned 16 songs not 15. All setlists are 16 songs anyway.
Forever to be free

Avelar

#193 Post by Avelar » 02 Oct 2010 13:42

It seems that there won't be (m)any surprises in this tour. But I can't complain, since I haven't seen them performing any song live yet. Anyway, they add a new song each evening and it's good. We always can expect something interesting.

Banish From Sanctuary \m/ Hope they will play it when I see them.

bestpike

#194 Post by bestpike » 02 Oct 2010 13:47

Avelar wrote:It seems that there won't be (m)any surprises in this tour. But I can't complain, since I haven't seen them performing any song live yet. Anyway, they add a new song each evening and it's good. We always can expect something interesting.

Banish From Sanctuary \m/ Hope they will play it when I see them.
Why do you say that? With each gig one new song is introduced. Until this stops happening, I don't see any reasoning for what you said.
Forever to be free

Avelar

#195 Post by Avelar » 02 Oct 2010 14:10

At some moment BG will stop to introduce new songs - they rehearsed them not enough to do this the whole tour. And I doubt that there will be previously unplayed old songs. They would have played at least one such song already, I think.

Dentarthurdent

#196 Post by Dentarthurdent » 02 Oct 2010 14:16

bestpike wrote:Dentar, you mentioned 16 songs not 15. All setlists are 16 songs anyway.
Oh, you're right, I didn't see mirror Mirror when i counted because it was in the middle of the sentence^^
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

teo_guardian

#197 Post by teo_guardian » 02 Oct 2010 15:39

Dentarthurdent wrote: 3 TSWoT
what's that?

Edain

#198 Post by Edain » 02 Oct 2010 15:42

My first guess would be "The Sacred Wheel of Time". Sounds also good. :mrgreen:

teo_guardian

#199 Post by teo_guardian » 02 Oct 2010 16:31

hmm yes that's it...but according to his list and what he said above instead of this he should write:

1 ATITM
3 ATEOT

teo_guardian

#200 Post by teo_guardian » 02 Oct 2010 16:33

actually according to his list he should write:

1 ATitM
3 AtEoT