ATEOT: We rate the songs

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Nyarlathotep

ATEOT: We rate the songs

#1 Post by Nyarlathotep » 03 Aug 2010 22:36

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum. As many of you, I like the new album. :D
I'm curious. How much do you like the songs?

Therefore, this thread is for rating the songs (on a 0-10 scale). I'm going to evaluate our ratings.
Maybe it's too early for such a thread. Then again, some of us might already be eager to share their thoughts.
Thus, not only numbers, but also remarks are “allowed” (, but not “required”).

PS: Whoever prefers rankings could post his/her ranking. I'm a bit pinched for time right now, that's why I'm not posting my rating yet.

Lilyael

Re: ATEOT: We rate the songs

#2 Post by Lilyael » 03 Aug 2010 22:44

Welcome :D
on first listen, the songs that stand out are Sacred Worlds, Road of No Return, and Curse my Name. The rest are still a blur of sound. But that's what makes a good album ( for me ) - you have a few faves right off that you listen to and get to know, then you can move on to the rest of the songs and take your time. I don't like the throwaway stuff where each song is immediately accessible - that gets boring too quickly.

There's so much to each song, but what I'm not hearing is another Another Stranger Me, or Fly - there's not a lot that's very sing-along to. Complex album, but a bit of light relief might have gone down well :wink:

I'm not comparing it to what they've done before. OK, I can hear some similarities to parts of ATitM, like, Lionheart, but nothing too jarring - it's certainly different.
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Andreas

#3 Post by Andreas » 03 Aug 2010 22:51

Lilyael wrote:Road of No Return
It's Road of No Release miss!

Lilyael

#4 Post by Lilyael » 03 Aug 2010 22:53

shrugs - I'm shit with names. I had to wrack me brains for Fly - still think it's called something else, like.

and I've only had the CD for three hours, gimme a fuckin break! :o
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Andreas

#5 Post by Andreas » 03 Aug 2010 23:01

Then the memory should be fresh :P

Made[Maggot]

#6 Post by Made[Maggot] » 04 Aug 2010 00:36

i prefer a ranking

01.) Ride Into Obsession
02.) Sacred Worlds
03.) Wheel Of Time
04.) A Voice In The Dark
05.) Curse My Name
06.) Tanelorn (Into The Void)
07.) Control The Divine
08.) War Of The Thrones
09.) Valkyries
10.) Road Of No Release
madig ist, wer madiges tut

VandroiyDE

#7 Post by VandroiyDE » 04 Aug 2010 01:17

I haven't listened to most of them enough to give such an exact rating.

But I can already say that "Wheel of Time" and "Curse My Name" (once the beep is edited out) get maximum score anyways. "Sacred Worlds" probably as well. Truly SONGS DIVINE!

"A Voice in the Dark" is also damn good, but I think the opener/ending together is a little too repetitive -- but that might be just me, because of the YouTube videos BG released. They kept using that passage lol.

Cigoth

#8 Post by Cigoth » 04 Aug 2010 01:59

Why do you all make these topics while I still haven't recieved my album??? :evil:

CURSE YOU EMP-ONLINE!!!
What started in the underworld,
It should be finished here and now.

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#9 Post by Metal Fan » 04 Aug 2010 02:03

Cigoth wrote:Why do you all make these topics while I still haven't recieved my album??? :evil:

CURSE YOU EMP-ONLINE!!!

I know. It's so unfair. Damn US release date!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Arwen Arianna

#10 Post by Arwen Arianna » 04 Aug 2010 02:04

Cigoth wrote:Why do you all make these topics while I still haven't recieved my album??? :evil:

CURSE YOU EMP-ONLINE!!!
Join my mom. She's facing the same problems... EMP is always late :(
as for rankings.. give me one more day (or maybe two), it's too early...
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

loren

#11 Post by loren » 04 Aug 2010 13:22

So it's time for me to rate the album, too after having listened to it several times...

Sacred Worlds (8) : A song we have listened to for quite a time now, a very good opener. The real orchestra made it even better.

Tanelorn (10) : The best song in the album and one of their best in their whole discography, in my opinion. Speedy, thrashy, great rhythm guitars, fantastic vocals and one of the best choruses of the album. Also, contains the best solo of the album. It combines the best elements of ATITM (an album I'm not fond of) with SFB and IFTOS.

Road Of No Release (9,5) : Great mid-tempo track in the likes of NIME. Reminds me of songs like Thorn and Blood Tears. There are some influences of Savatage there :wink: Remarkable variations and changes of mood.

Ride Into Obsession (9) : Like Tanelorn, speedy, thrashy in old Blind Guardian fashion combined again with the good elements of ATITM.

Curse My Name (6,5) : My least favourite track of the album. The fact that it reminds me of Nightwish's "Islander" ruins the song for me...

Valkyries (7) : It's like a combination of IFTOS (Bright Eyes) and ANATO. Good tune with a very good intro.

Control The Divine (9) : Like Road Of No Release it reminds me of NIME and especially songs like Blood Tears and Thorn. Great melodies, inspired vocals and one of the best choruses of the album. Very well done.

War Of The Thrones (8,5) : I prefer the acoustic version but the piano one is very good too. It (the piano) gives the song a more dramatic touch. Moving vocal performance by Hansi.

A Voice In The Dark (9,5) : Like Tanelorn and Ride Into The Obsession, the third fast track of the album. Very good one, great chorus, the solo could be better though (that's why I didn't rate with 10) but that's ok :wink: Great rhythm guitars as well.

Wheel Of Time (9,5) : It's not another ATTWS but it's certainly one of the talkabout-songs of the album. The chorus is just magnificent if this is a word to describe it because I really can't find one. Great orchestration and oriental stuff.

OVERALL ---> 8,65
Very good job done by the bards, especially after ATITM (after which, I had begun to lose faith in what they can do nowadays). A lot of variety in the songs which keep the album boring-proof. Also it works well for the album that there's a kind of symmetry in the songs. Sacred Worlds and Wheel Of Time (the "epic" songs) are 1st and last, correspodingly. Then there are Tanelorn and A Voice In The Dark (2 of the fast songs) in 2nd and 2nd from last positions. Nice touch this one. :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

arenamaster

#12 Post by arenamaster » 04 Aug 2010 19:34

Wow, you rated some songs very low! :shock:
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
But as long as I breathe,
Each smile in my bleak face,
I'm on my way to find
Back to the peace of mind!

Nyarlathotep

#13 Post by Nyarlathotep » 04 Aug 2010 22:49

Thanks for the first ranking and the first rating.
Arwen Arianna wrote:give me one more day (or maybe two), it's too early...
No problem. I want to update the evaluation of our ratings and rankings several times. This thread can be used for years.
Btw, I'm not sure about my ranking/rating yet. I'll post it this weekend, probably.

The_Soulforged

#14 Post by The_Soulforged » 04 Aug 2010 22:56

My ranking:

1. Sacred Worlds
2. Wheel Of Time
3. A Voice In The Dark
4. Ride Into Obsession
5. Tanelorn (Into The Void)
6. Road Of No Release
7. Curse My Name
8. War Of The Thrones
9. Valkyries
10. Control The Devine
will my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death i will smile.

FifthAngel

#15 Post by FifthAngel » 05 Aug 2010 07:24

I actually think War of the thrones is a bit underrated.. The acoustic version is simply amazing!
See me in the shadows..
See me in the shadows..

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#16 Post by Metal Fan » 05 Aug 2010 17:12

FifthAngel wrote:I actually think War of the thrones is a bit underrated.. The acoustic version is simply amazing!
+1 Its my favorite song on the single!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Hondo

#17 Post by Hondo » 05 Aug 2010 20:01

Sacred Worlds: Liked the game version, love the album version. Sounds awesome with the real orchestra. Can't wait to hear it live. The Intro kinda reminds me of the Gothic 3 Soundtrack. - 8/10

Tanelorn - Into the viod: Great vocals, epic chorus, but nothing special yet - gotta give it a few more listens - 6,5/10

Road Of No Release: After some listens I'm really starting to get into that one. Lots of different moods, awesome solo, great inrto. Would be another orgasmic song to play live. In my opinion the most underrated song of the album - 9/10

Ride Into Obesseion: Was already my fav when I heard the samples. Fast, catchy, hansilike vocals... just parfect - 10/10

Curse My Name: Well... uhm... beautiful. Simply beatiful. Nuff said - 9/10

Valkyries: Another underrated song. IMO because it has this ATITM-touch. Dfeinitely not the best song on the album but not bad at all - 7,5/10

Control The Divine: See for RONR. But not THAT good - 8/10

War Of The Thrones:and again: Took some listens but now I like the piano version much more. But can't compete with Curse My Name IMO - 8,5/10

A Voice In The Dark: Hard to compare to the rest. Heard so often - 8,5/10

Wheel Of Time: Pretty much everything's been said here^^ Still needs some more listens to explore everything, but.... damn I have no words^^ 9/10

Ranking (puh, that's gonna be tough):
1. Ride Into Obssesion
2.Road Of No Release
3. Wheel Of Time (time will tell, that's my no.1, I'm pretty sure ;))
4. Curse My Name
5. War Of The Thrones
6. Control The Divine
7. Sacred Worlds
8. Control The Divine
9. Valkyries
10. Tanelorn

Arwen Arianna

#18 Post by Arwen Arianna » 05 Aug 2010 20:47

Sacred Worlds: The game version already blew me away, but the real orchestra and the additional parts at the end (the change of singing styles is crazy.. but awesome) really add a lot to it... definitely one of their best songs! 10/10
Tanelorn (Into the Void) Fast, aggressive, killer lyrics and vocals. A good contrast to the epic, orchestral songs. One of the songs I loved immediately. 10/10
Road of No Release One of my favourites so far. The atmosphere created in that song is absolutely enchanting, wonderful and ... very sad. Lots of feelings in that song. Definitely another 10/10
Ride into Obsession Very fast song, probably the most aggressive vocals Hansi has ever done... Very catchy chorus and the lyrics + melodies mirror the topic very well. 10/10
Curse My Name Metal vocals meet medieval ballad. I would have preferred singing instead of rough vocals (--> check out the demo version. The singing is divine!), but that does not change the fact that this song is absolutely amazing! The "Remove his crown" part makes it one of my absolute favourites! I have to learn how to tapdance... 10/10
Valkyries The beginning and the end would make stones weep. Even me. All in all a wonderful song, but there are some harmonies in the chorus I simply dislike. That's why it only gets 8.5/10 from me... I might change my opinion later on, though.
Control the Divine Fascinating topic, great lyrics, contains some outstanding parts, but unfortunately a rather weak chorus as well :( Again some harmonies I'm not too fond of.. 8,5/10
War of the Thrones This has become one of my favourite ballads, it's perfect!
But I like the single version a little better... 9.5/10 for the album version, 10/10 for the single version ;)
A Voice in the Dark Perfect from the first to the last note. 10/10
Wheel of Time I have absolutely no words to describe the brilliance of this song! it's just.. WOW! I kneel to Blind Guardian and humbly bow my head before them... 100/10!

All in all the album gets 10/10 from me...
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!

Edain

#19 Post by Edain » 05 Aug 2010 22:33

Well, well, well ... let's try the impossible and rate songs on a scale. It'll by my song-for-song-review as well. :)

I'm not one of the guys who tends not to give any 10s - if I enjoy a song from the first to the last second and find no real flaws, then it's a 10. Period.

Sacred Worlds: Definitely one of the best songs on the whole CD: a simple but catchy riff, endlessly varied and used also as orchestral theme, terrific orchestration and the probably most epic chorus in Blind Guardian's career. Anyone who doesn't love this song can eat my shorts.
10/10

Tanelorn (into the void): Exactly what modern Speed Metal can and must sound like. Great riffs, the necessary harsh singing, a fine chorus and impressive leads promise some serious ass-kicking live performance. Still the speed-riffing could be a little more varied, therefore "only"
9/10

Road of no release: Fans of Bright Eyes will probably also love this song, in my opinion the album's best track. Very emotional (mainly sad as Arwen said) with changing moods, strong Queen-influences here (the piano accompaniment and the choirs, especially in the second verse) but still definitely a Metal-song with awesome midtempo-riffs. So much awesomeness in just 6:30 isn't even toppable by ATTWS or the epic tracks on this album:
11/10 Anyone who doesn't like THIS song needs a doctor.

Ride into obsession: Again Blind Guardian send out this massive "F*ck you, losers" to the world of generic Speed/Power Metal. Fast and hard, a perfect singalong-chorus, many ideas - which still fit perfectly (e.g. the "all the dying men"-part). From the first to the last second a perfect fast song.
10/10

Curse my name: This is a real "How to (musically) accompany a medieval tale"-song. The great music (with all the nice guitar-melodies and the tin-whistle) follows the lyric's mood all the time, the king's execution - the end - the slow buildup again. I really like this one, yet it doesn't catch me as other ballads do (Harvest of Sorrow IMO is much simpler but just "gets to the point" better):
7,5/10

Valkyries: The only song I don't really get into. The verses seem to me too aimless, I don't hear (apart from the great hard intro after the acoustic part) many great riffs or melodies. The chorus is nice, but that doesn't save the song from a "bad" grade:
5/10

Control the divine: A great midtempo-song. Excellent riffs and some wicked melodies, the nice acoustic bridge and another awesome singalong-chorus make up 8/10

War of the Thrones: Agreeing with the person above me: That's one perfect ballad - doesn't get boring due to missing low points, an uplifting chorus we haven't heard before very often and other real campfire-singalong-lines: Leave a fee for the tillerman! 9/10

A voice in the Dark: I really tried to love this song and still it doesn't get me as hooked as other songs on the album: The intro sounds forced to me, in the verses there's much speed but few distinctive riffs - sounds worse than it is. Nonetheless this one's got all Guardian-trademarks you can wish for: Great vocal-lines and guitar-melodies, a chorus you can sing along with at once, highly melodic solos and a great outro. Makes
8/10

Wheel of time: What to say about this one: Epic as hell. Overwhelming. Flawless.
10/10

Funny - I gave some really "bad" grades and still I'd call this album better than A Night at the Opera (where I can't name a single song that's "not THAT good").
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

sirspider

#20 Post by sirspider » 06 Aug 2010 03:21

Sacred Worlds: 10/10 - My favorite song on the album is also the opening song. I'm a total sucker for orchestration and stacked vocals (which this song has plenty of), and this has one of the coolest segments on the entire album from 6:54 - 7:22. Sure, I've heard it a bunch of times already, and even own the game the song is in, but hearing this version for the first time completely blew me away.

Tanelorn (Into The Void): 10/10 - My favorite song on the album to sing along to. It definitely has its roots in an older Blind Guardian style, but modernized, in a sense. It works very well. CRY FOR TANELORN, STILL I FEAR THE VOICES.... ooh man. And the great wordplay as Hansi goes down, down, down in pitch to send the chorus into the void... chills.

Road of No Release: 7.5/10 - This is a good song. But nothing about it has really caught me whatsoever. One of the low notes on the album for me, really. How this song begins is my favorite part, but I just kinda lose the real interest it gave me about the time the first chorus hits for some reason. Reading along with the lyrics made this song a lot better, though, that's for sure.

Ride Into Obsession: 9/10 - Great track that comes right before my 3rd favorite song on the entire album. One of my favorite choruses on the album, which, after the first time through, breaks down into another one of the standout segments of the album, from 1:22 - 1:57.

Curse My Name: 10/10 - I really kinda wish this song would've been made into a music video as opposed to A Voice In The Dark. Maybe it'll happen, who knows. Their acoustic songs seem to resonate with me a lot more than their others. And this one is incredible. It also has my favorite segment from the album (and I'm sure you all know what it is already) which goes from 2:50 - 3:33. Man, oh man. Every time I hear this song I go back and replay that like 2 or 3 times just because its that damn good.

Valkyries: 8/10 - A song I was fairly disinterested in when the album first leaked... but now that I have the digipack, and subsequently, my own copy of the album in glorious 320kbps MP3 :roll:, this song has grown a lot on me. The chorus is my favorite part. Another fun one to sing along to.

Control The Divine: 7/10 - A couple of songs in a row here that I don't enjoy as much as I enjoyed the rest of the album, except for the chorus. Shame I don't like the rest of the song as much as I like the chorus in this one.

War Of The Thrones: 9/10 - Thankfully, the quality just goes up from that one. Piano > Acoustic. And the acoustic version of this song is very, very good. But the piano adds a different aura to this song that an acoustic guitar just can't match.

A Voice In The Dark: 9.5/10 - The very first song a lot of us heard from the album, and a song that got me very interested in the album that I was only sort of interested in to begin with.

Wheel Of Time: 10/10 - The album's "And Then There Was Silence", so to speak. What was it I said up at Sacred Worlds... "I'm a total sucker for orchestration and stacked vocals". Enough said. All complaints about low brass making farting noises aside (they don't even bother me at all), this song is my second favorite from the entire album. Really cool Middle Eastern vibes throughout the entire song done justice by the orchestra that performed it. Every time I hear the horns come in on "There's no end, Wheel of Time" I get goosebumps. Well, I get them every time I hear those horns, really. Sacred Worlds is the perfect opener, and Wheel of Time is the perfect closer.

Overall: 9/10

A fantastic album from start to finish with only a couple tracks that are still quite good, but are a step back from the rest of the album. My favorite album of the year? I don't know, there's still a few contenders coming out (cough Kamelot, cough Devin Townsend Project (hopefully?) ), but it's definitely Top 2 so far. Tossup between it and the latest Vanden Plas album, The Seraphic Clockwork, at least so far.

arenamaster

#21 Post by arenamaster » 06 Aug 2010 03:51

I have kinda have a problem with the orchestration of this album, namely there are parts in Sacred Worlds where you can hear chairs creaking and people talking, same with in Wheel of Time and it completely ruins the experience. I don't understand how Blind Guardian let that slip. But anyway...

Sacred Worlds: 9/10, for the errors I said above, great song
Tanelorn: 7/10: imo, very boring song, good chorus and lyrics but it seems so tired
Road: 10/10, amazing as hell, great song!
Obsession: 10/10, now here's a thrashy metal song. Great, great great.
Curse: 9/10, great song, hampered down by one too many instruments, but still very good
Valkyries: 7/10, beginning is good, chorus is alright, everything else is pretty bland
Control: 9/10, if it would've been longer and more fleshed out it would've been amazing, but it ends too short
War: 10/10, love this version more than single, great song
Voice:7/10 this song got really boring to me quickly, I don't care for it very much anymore
Wheel: 10/10, epic, but not as great as ATTWS, and suffers from errors like I said
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
I'm on my way to find

arenamaster

#22 Post by arenamaster » 06 Aug 2010 03:53

Edain wrote:Tanelorn (into the void): Exactly what modern Speed Metal can and must sound like. Great riffs, the necessary harsh singing, a fine chorus and impressive leads promise some serious ass-kicking live performance. Still the speed-riffing could be a little more varied, therefore "only"
9/10
God I hope that this isn't what modern speed metal should sound like, this song has nothing on earlier works... I don't care for it at all.

And this album better than ANATO? ha!
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
I'm on my way to find

Arwen Arianna

#23 Post by Arwen Arianna » 06 Aug 2010 09:47

arenamaster wrote:I have kinda have a problem with the orchestration of this album, namely there are parts in Sacred Worlds where you can hear chairs creaking and people talking, same with in Wheel of Time and it completely ruins the experience. I don't understand how Blind Guardian let that slip. But anyway...
André said in an interview that he thinks the creaking is exciting.. and if I remember correctly, Hansi agreed with him
Bpgk!

Led Guardian

#24 Post by Led Guardian » 06 Aug 2010 21:12

arenamaster wrote:
Edain wrote:Tanelorn (into the void): Exactly what modern Speed Metal can and must sound like. Great riffs, the necessary harsh singing, a fine chorus and impressive leads promise some serious ass-kicking live performance. Still the speed-riffing could be a little more varied, therefore "only"
9/10
God I hope that this isn't what modern speed metal should sound like, this song has nothing on earlier works... I don't care for it at all.

Are you different people on different days? A couple days ago you were strongly stating that AtEoT was possibly your favorite even above ANatO, and now you're scornful of the idea. Also, Tanelorn: better than any song they did up until IftOS, and possibly better than all those songs as well. 'Nuff said.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

sirspider

#25 Post by sirspider » 07 Aug 2010 06:02

Led Guardian wrote:
arenamaster wrote:
9/10

Are you different people on different days? A couple days ago you were strongly stating that AtEoT was possibly your favorite even above ANatO, and now you're scornful of the idea. Also, Tanelorn: better than any song they did up until IftOS, and possibly better than all those songs as well. 'Nuff said.

I'm guess it was the "OMG A NEW ALBUM" excitement finally wearing off.

Nyarlathotep

#26 Post by Nyarlathotep » 08 Aug 2010 11:47

This is the result of the first evaluation:

1. Wheel of Time 9.6
2. Ride into Obsession 9.5
3. Sacred Worlds 9.2
4. Road of No Release 8.7
5. A Voice in the Dark 8.6
6. War of Thrones 8.5
7. Tanelorn (into the Void) 8.5
8. Curse My Name 8.4
9. Control the Divine 7.8
10.Valkyries 7.0

red colour: controversial
green colour: not controversial

This is only the first evaluation; changes are probable.

PS: I still need more time for my ranking/rating. My opinion is not stable enough yet. Maybe next week.
“science knowledge only adds to the excitement, the mystery and the awe of a flower. It only adds.” (Feynman)

Mackasfour

#27 Post by Mackasfour » 08 Aug 2010 11:58

Hmm, let's see

1) Road of No Release (It was extremely close for me between this and WotT, but this one just grasps it)
2) War of the Thrones (Has to be my favourite ballad by BG, and that's saying a LOT)
3) Ride Into Obsession (The song I was looking forward to most, did not disappoint what so ever, just that the others surprisingly got the better of it)
4) Valkyries (Very catchy song, though a few more listens will change the 4-7 ranking)
5) Sacred Worlds (Absoloutely LOVE the orchestra in this one, sounds great, but the rest was the same as the pre production version with a few additions which didn't make it stand out a whole lot for me)
6) Curse my Name (Great ballad but I don't know why it isn't high ranking for me, hopefully a few more listens will solve that)
7) Wheel of Time (It surprises me that this one is this low, I think it is a great and innovative style. But that style isn't exactly my cup of tea. The huge eastern influence makes it sound funny to me :P)
8) Control the Divine (This song didn't stand out too much, though it is a nice song with some GREAT vocals from Hansi)
9) Tanelorn (Like AVITD, this one got old fast for me, which isn't to say it is a bad song)
10) A Voice in the Dark (Same as Tanelorn, good, but just got rather boring eventually)

Overall though it makes it my favourite BG album, but it's still very early to call. Though judgement is still justified at whatever stage someone is at.
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Gandalf de Grijze

#28 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 08 Aug 2010 14:50

Ok, I'll give my ranking/rating/review now..

Sacred Worlds:
We knew this song already, I love what the orchestra added, makes it more complete. Though the outtro sounds more like an interlude, I keep expecting a reprisal after that to finish the song with a blast.

Tanelorn (Into The Void)
Heavy, thrashy, vocals a bit too raw for my taste, I prefer his normal singing. But I love the chorus. Great song in general, showing that the first two albums rewritten in the current style would kick major ass. Pretty sure it will become a great live song.

The Road Of No Release
I really love this song, amazing vocals and an awesome chorus. I love the piano details throughout the song, giving it an extra dimension. It is a very emotional and sad song. Too bad it makes you lose the game at the end no more games to play

Ride Into Obsession
Probably the fastest/most brutal song on the album. Awesome chorus again. Love the middle part "All these dying men". which is fairly Atitm-like. Also the ending is awesome you'll never be alone!

Curse My Name
One of the most amazing songs on the album if you ask me. It has a full and emotional sound allthroughout the song. and it gets better after it ends with the xylophone, and the drum rolls... then the awesome remove his crown, and bring him down continuing in a canon of various lines.. the riverdance sound supporting it. Simply awesomeness. Definately one of the best ballads I've heard. I can so imagine the crowd with huge smiles on their faces singing along to teh end let him curse my name.. eventhough the smiles are counter to teh words ;)

Valkyries
Similar to the underrated The Edge or The New Order from Atitm. Love the pre-chorus and the chorus. It is epic without needing to sound cheesy in anyway. Definately one of my favorites. Love the rain and thunder as well.

Control The Divine
Love the bridge and the chorus. This could be a nice live track.. singalong-proof. A great song to lower the amount of IFTOS songs live without taking the IFTOS feeling away.

War Of The Thrones
Known in a different version, this song is a great ballad either way. I still prefer the acoustic version from teh single, though this piano version is definately not bad at all. It sounds a bit like a mix between a totally Orchestral version and the acoustic version.

A Voice In The Dark
Another "Hard'n'Heavy" song, and therefor probably one of my least favorite from the album. Really love the part right before the first chorus They send a sign, when dead winter will come again, there from the ruins i will rise this is simply awesome.

Wheel Of Time
The eastern influences that start off right at teh beginning with teh orchestra, simply amazing. It sets the tone for a great epic tale. And it is told in all its grandeur and splendour. Awesomeness from beginning to end. Wheel of time, save my soul find a way that is when i keep getting goosebumps, a true highlight within a highlight. The young man said "I will never give up", the inner war, I can hold against it reminds me a bit of the council of priests from Jesus Christ Superstar, with the instrumental part leading up to it being one of the most awesome pieces of music i know. The part directly following it my mind, my mind, my mind's in darkness is just maniacal. it sounds like he's actually losing his mind. Then the by many cursed low brass sounds at the end: I simply love it, It gives the ending that dark feeling that it needs, like the story isn't over yet...

Now as for rating and order of favorites.. they are subject to change over the coming years, but for now it will be as follows:
1- Wheel Of Time (12/10) perfect with extra praise
2- Curse My Name (10/10) Amazing ballad, it will very likely kick apafs from its #1 ballad position with me
3- Sacred Worlds (10/10) the Orchestra adds a lot
4- The Road Of No Release (9.5/10) awesomeness
4- Valkyries (9.5/10) No, not a mistake, can't choose between these two
6- Control The Divine (9/10) love it
7- War Of The Thrones (8.5/10) The acoustic version would also share a 4th place
8- Ride Into Obsession (8/10) I love this one most out of the heavier songs, not into the heavy stuff as much anymore
9- Tanelorn (into the void) (8/10) Good track to play live, but no favorite of mine.
10- A Voice In The Dark (7/10) A good track but, as said by others, gets old fast.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Cigoth

#29 Post by Cigoth » 09 Aug 2010 02:01

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: The Road Of No Release
I really love this song, amazing vocals and an awesome chorus. I love the piano details throughout the song, giving it an extra dimension. It is a very emotional and sad song. Too bad it makes you lose the game at the end no more games to play
NOOOOOOOOOOO! :shock:
Why, just why? Now I will always notice it whenever I listen to the song, which will be a whole lot. :cry:

Nice review about Wheel of Time by the way. :)
What started in the underworld,
It should be finished here and now.

Arwen Arianna

#30 Post by Arwen Arianna » 09 Aug 2010 02:15

Cigoth wrote:Why, just why? Now I will always notice it whenever I listen to the song, which will be a whole lot. :cry:
It took me over an hour to order my Wacken ticket, it nearly drove me crazy! And when I finally succeeded, guess what Hansi was just singing? "And madness is the price you've to pay"..
Bpgk!

Gandalf de Grijze

#31 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 09 Aug 2010 13:51

what can i say? the bards are always right
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Ramza

#32 Post by Ramza » 12 Aug 2010 10:40

Tough one! It could all change in a couple of months but this is what i feel now.

Sacred Worlds (8,5/10)
The orchestra really improved this song. Powerful chorus and quite catchy. One of the bards best midtempo songs.

Tanerlorn (8/10)
Great fast song, the only problem i have is that the chorus doesn't really do it for me. It kind of takes away the energy of the song. Still great though.

Road of no Release (8/10)
The intro is beautiful and i certainly wouldn't mind hearing more of the piano. Feels like a mixture of something from NiME and ATITM. Great track

Ride into Obsession (9/10)
Pounding and catchy as hell! The choirs are amazing and hearing Hansi scream real good is amazing.

Curse my Name (9/10)
Love it! Currently my favorite song on the album. I like that they strip away most of the metal-elements and just let's the song speak for itself. Could be great live!

Valkyries (6,5/10)
It's a little bit bland but it's still growing. Nothings amazing about it but it has it nice moments.

Control the Divine (7/10)
Also hard to feel a real identity for this song. This is the kind of song i would have liked to hear acoustic. Doesn't necesserily feel like metal. But the chorus is quite catchy and it needs som time.

War of the Thrones (7,5/10)
Loved it at first but it got kind of old really fast. Probably prefer the acoustic version.

A Voice in the Dark (9/10)
Close to a perfect track! Great chorus and love the energy. Catchy without seeming to ever get old.

Wheel of Time (9/10)
It's no ATTWS, but while that is a track i rarely put on unless i really wan't to Listen to it for real, no distractions. Wheel of time is more straight forward. You can just sit and listen to it in your earphones but you can also do the dishes or take a jog. The chorus is great and Hansi also does som of his greatest singing.

Nyarlathotep

#33 Post by Nyarlathotep » 15 Aug 2010 14:55

My ranking:

1) Wheel of Time
2) Sacred Worlds
3) Control the Divine
4) Valkyries
5) Road of No Release
6) Curse my Name
7) War of the Thrones
8 )A Voice in the Dark
9) Tanelorn
10) Ride Into Obsession

I'll post details in the "Favorite moments"-thread later.
Mackasfour wrote:judgement is […] justified at whatever stage someone is at.
I absolutely agree.
@everybody: You may revise your rating/ranking as often as you wish. But please don't edit old posts because it would confuse me.

Nyarlathotep

#34 Post by Nyarlathotep » 15 Aug 2010 15:34

The result of the second evaluation:

1. Wheel of Time 9.5
2. Sacred Worlds 9.1
3. Ride into Obsession 8.9
4. Road of No Release 8.8
5. Curse My Name 8.4
6. War of Thrones 8.4
7. A Voice in the Dark 8.2
8. Tanelorn (into the Void) 8.1
9. Control the Divine 7.9
10.Valkyries 7.4

green colour: not controversial

rdyfrde

#35 Post by rdyfrde » 18 Aug 2010 07:17

At the moment I'm pretty mixed about this album. Too many songs that don't do anything for me (namely the bottom 4 of the list).

Still, I like a challenge of rating the songs anyway:

1. War of the Thrones
2. Sacred Worlds
3. A Voice in the Dark
4. Wheel of Time
5. Tanelorn (Into the Void)
6. Valkyries
7. Ride into Obsession
8. Control the Divine
9. Road of No Release
10. Curse My Name
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Nyarlathotep

#36 Post by Nyarlathotep » 20 Aug 2010 23:05

The result of the third evaluation:

1. Wheel of Time 9.4
2. Sacred Worlds 9.1
3. Ride into Obsession 8.9
4. Road of No Release 8.7
5. War of the Thrones 8.5
6. Curse My Name 8.3
7. A Voice in the Dark 8.2
8. Tanelorn (into the Void) 8.1
9. Control the Divine 7.9
10.Valkyries 7.5

green colour: rather not controversial
“science knowledge only adds to the excitement, the mystery and the awe of a flower. It only adds.” (Feynman)

bestpike

#37 Post by bestpike » 20 Aug 2010 23:22

That's the magic with Blind Guardian. I can't rank most of their songs. I like the album as a whole, the songs work nicely together and I can't say I like one song considerably more than the other, except Valkyries and Control the Divine which I like the least, for the moment. I have started cracking Control the Divine though, but Valkyries still remains more unappreciated than I would like :(. The fact that some people like it very much gives me hopes though.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

spamel

#38 Post by spamel » 21 Aug 2010 12:14

Hoorah! I have the house to myself for the weekend which means I can turn the volume up to "INFINITY" and wreck the windows! I have WOT on at the moment, it is outstanding! The whole album is to be fair, I thought it was good the first few times I listened to it but it really has become my favourite. Apart from NIME! :wink:
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

PsychoDantis

#39 Post by PsychoDantis » 23 Aug 2010 18:26

After listening to the album faaar too many times over the two weeks, here's my rating:

1. Control The Divine
2. Wheel Of Time
3. Curse My Name
4. Sacred Worlds
5.War Of The Thrones
6. A Voice In The Dark
7. Ride Into Obsession
8. Road Of No Release
9. Tanelorn
10. Valkyries

Control The Divine is at the top because it's the song I can most consistently listen to. Whilst I could consider Wheel Of Time a better song in and of itself, I can't always be bothered to listen to a full 9 minute song. Sacred would be a lot higher if I hadn't already listened to it hundreds of times before the album came out.

Also, what's with the hating on War Of The Thrones? It's awesome.

Orodaran

#40 Post by Orodaran » 23 Aug 2010 18:28

PsychoDantis wrote:I can't always be bothered to listen to a full 9 minute song.
People like you made the fortune of radios and the pop industry! :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Avelar

#41 Post by Avelar » 23 Aug 2010 19:08

PsychoDantis wrote:Also, what's with the hating on War Of The Thrones?
Most people were positive about it, to say the least. Why do you think it is hated?
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

Edain

#42 Post by Edain » 24 Aug 2010 00:42

Orodaran wrote:
PsychoDantis wrote:I can't always be bothered to listen to a full 9 minute song.
People like you made the fortune of radios and the pop industry! :P
Pop music brought us some really kickass songs - so be quiet. :P
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Herr Inoddorell

#43 Post by Herr Inoddorell » 24 Aug 2010 01:30

Sacred Worlds - 9.3/10
Tanelorn (Into The Void) - 9.4/10
Road Of No Release - 8.8/10
Ride Into Obsession - 9.2/10
Curse My Name - 9.8/10
Valkyries - 8.7/10
Control The Divine - 9.1/10
War Of The Thrones - 9.5/10
A Voice In The Dark - 9.6/10
Wheel Of Time - 9.7/10

Mahoora

#44 Post by Mahoora » 24 Aug 2010 19:07

Sacred Worlds: loved since the original version, frech, catchy and dynamic 50/10
Tanelorn: A great speed/power song but somehow didn't get into it very much 8/10
Road of no Release: a wonderful ballad combining NIME and ATITM stuff but not the most epic 8.5/10
Ride into Obsession: another speedy song but I'm not really into speed things anymore but still awsome 8.5/10
Curse my Name: fucking awsome song, especially the middle chaotic part 10/10
Valkyries: I really like that song and intro/outro is just amazing 10/10
Control the Divine: a good example of the BG style, amazing one 9/10
War of the Thrones: amazing ballad as well but like the acoustic one better though 9/10
A Voice in the Dark: speedy but I just love it, it's the new power metal version of BG 10/10
Wheel of Time: no comment exept for f**king amaaaaaziiinggg, the best song in the album especially with the oriental style 100/10
All those plans and hopes and dreams what happens to them? it's only a handfull of the lucky ones who can look back and say that they even came close.
You can't take it with you. act III,scene I

Nyarlathotep

#45 Post by Nyarlathotep » 27 Aug 2010 23:16

Wow, 16 ranking/ratings so far! Thanks for all your opinions. I hope this is as much fun and as interesting for you as for me. :)
However, it's not over yet. And don't forget: Everyone may change his/her mind. Just post your new rating/ranking if you want.

The result of the fourth evaluation:

1. Wheel of Time 9.5
2. Sacred Worlds 9.1
3. Ride into Obsession 8.8
4. War of Thrones 8.6
5. Road of No Release 8.6
6. Curse My Name 8.5
7. A Voice in the Dark 8.4
8. Control the Divine 8.1
9. Tanelorn (into the Void) 8.1
10.Valkyries 7.6

1. partly orchestral 9.3
2. ballads 8.6
3. speedy 8.4
4. mid-tempo metal 8.1

green colour: rather not controversial

hoggroth02

#46 Post by hoggroth02 » 28 Aug 2010 14:30

Sacred Worlds 8) 8) 8) :!: :!:...Tanelorn (into the void) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
...Road of no release :D :D :D :) ...Ride into Obsession :wink: 8) :) :o
...Curse my name :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
...Valkyries :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :) :idea:
...Control the Divine 8) 8) :D :D :D ...War of theThrones :) :) :)
...A Voice in the Dark :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
...Wheel of Time 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I love this album!!!
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
DUNE

Juk

#47 Post by Juk » 28 Aug 2010 16:34

Here is my ranking. I really like this album, and many songs are still growing!

01.) Ride Into Obsession (10/10)
02.) A Voice In The Dark (9.5/10)
03.) Curse My Name (9.5/10)
04.) Wheel Of Time (9.0/10)
05.) Road Of No Release (9.0/10)
06.) Tanelorn (Into The Void) (8.5/10)
07.) Sacred Worlds (8.5/10)
08.) Control The Divine (8.0/10)
09.) Valkyries (7.5/10)
10.) War Of The Thrones (7.0/10)

tigs6969

#48 Post by tigs6969 » 28 Aug 2010 17:30

ill make it simple
all songs 10/10 except war of the thrones which 9.9 as its not the acoustic version which i prefer

spamel

#49 Post by spamel » 28 Aug 2010 18:09

I'll leave it a few weeks as I recently wiped my PC and will check out the play count as I usually skip songs I don't like so much, but I think it'll be a close run thing. I can say for starters that Ride into Obsession, Valkyries and Curse my Name are my top three songs though!
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Alpha Penguin

#50 Post by Alpha Penguin » 28 Aug 2010 22:58

1. Sacred Worlds - 10/10
2. Tanelorn (Into the Void) - 8/10
3. Road of No Release - 10/10
4. Ride Into Obsession - 9/10
5. Curse My Name - 10/10
6. Valkyries - 8/10
7. Control the Divine - 8/10
8. War of the Thrones - 6.5/10
9. A Voice in the Dark - 7.5/10
10. Wheel of Time - 10/10

Songs which really stood out to me were "Road of No Release", "Control the Divine", and "Wheel of Time". It was fantastic to see Blind Guardian do something new and interesting like "Road..", and "Control the Divine" to me seems like a fantastic combination of elements from ATitM and ANatO. And of course "Wheel of Time" is flat out fantastic!

The other songs are all great Blind Guardian tracks which have something new and unique to offer. That is why I think this is among the top 5 best Blind Guardian albums. The pacing and contrast between songs is very well done.

The reason I gave "War of the Thrones" a lesser score is just because when I listen to the album it appears to be the weakest song. That is definitely not to say it's bad, just that the other songs really overshadow it!
The reason I gave "A Voice in the Dark" a 7.5/10 is just because it didn't have as many dynamics as "Ride Into Obsession" (my favorite fast song on the album) and I can't give all of the songs amazing scores haha!
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!