Ultra high beeping on "Curse My Name" 2:50 - 3:33

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
VandroiyDE

Ultra high beeping on "Curse My Name" 2:50 - 3:33

#1 Post by VandroiyDE » 03 Aug 2010 00:11

Edit:

I have a little more data on it now. Also thanks to bestpike, see his post below for a nice visualization over time!

begin: after 2:50.6
end: before 3:33.9

main peak amplitude: > 30 dB
main peak frequency: 15626 Hz
main peak linewidth: ~ 600 Hz (looks gaussian, taking full with where it is distinguishable)

There is a second peak, I do not know whether that one's noteworthy/unwanted aswell

sec. peak amplitude: ~ 10 dB
sec. peak frequency: 15203 Hz

My solution:
Use an EQ! -34 dB at 15624 Hz, width 0.01 octave!
(Remember to only edit the section of time that's damaged, heed the usual audio editing rules etc.)

If you need an EQ: Audacity with the eqcustom.ny plugin. Both are free, just google for the current versions.

I like the result. Sounds great on both my headset and sound system. It's a rather sharp cut, but probably a good compromise? Dunno.

Original post:

I just received my pyramid, and I'm totally loving the album!

Overall, I think the quality is good... WITH ONE EXCEPTION. (Edit: well, maybe another, but that's in a different thread now and by far not as bad.) A very ugly one, too. On "Curse My Name", at 2:50, a sound probably close to the maximum a CD can sample sets in. I think it pulses with one of the instruments, but I don't yet know which one it is exactly. It vanishes when the instruments change at 3:33.

I'm aware most of you cannot hear a tone that high. I have ears with a maximum recognized frequency significantly above average. Please don't answer "it's not there" or "check your audio setup" unless you know what you're talking about. My CD is obviously official, ripped with EAC into FLAC to prevent CD playback issues, D/A converted on a high quality soundboard. I tested both a THX sound system and a Sennheiser PC-350 headset. The tone is clear, very loud, and very annoying.

I understand that some clicking might occur on orchestra records; enjoy your flamewars about that in other posts. But THIS is really unnecessary. Is it *that* hard to have the CD QCed by someone who can hear higher frequencies? :evil: I know at least three more people who can hear this. IT RUINS THE SONG FOR US. And trust me, I totally love "Curse My Name". Now, on every listen, I just wait for those 43 seconds to pass... argh.

Is there a chance they can remaster the song, as in find the guilty instrument, lowpass it, and remix? I don't want to do that on the final track for quality reasons, but I might be forced to edit those 43 seconds. :(

Help about this? Any ideas? :(
Last edited by VandroiyDE on 27 Aug 2010 12:26, edited 4 times in total.

sharpened_graphite

Re: Ultra high beeping on "Curse My Name" 2:50 - 3:33

#2 Post by sharpened_graphite » 03 Aug 2010 00:19

I think someone managed to edit it out already.

Skrymir

#3 Post by Skrymir » 03 Aug 2010 00:21

It's been discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37760

Though I am not really old, I personally don't hear it somehow, but I have no doubt it is there.^^

VandroiyDE

#4 Post by VandroiyDE » 03 Aug 2010 00:53

Ah, sorry. I only read the first page, and everybody was discussing (IMO whining for no reason about) that one moment on "Wheel of Time" with resonances to the brass. (I think the result sounds awesome WITH it, just the two at 8:14 and 8:15 are *a little* too much quantized... there are worse recording problems on the CD than that.) Anyways, I got annoyed at the topic before I reached page two. Sorry, should have searched more thoroughly.

Still: now I'm faced with having to repair a track myself? Waaaaah :shock: *shocked* ... I'm totally afraid of damaging it. I don't mean within frequency space, but possibly by side-effects of the discretization when I revert to 16 bit resolution... how much quieter than the loudest tone can a human ear hear a signal? This smells like I need to do calculations to make sure I'm leaving this intact. Good thing the section is loud though.

As I understand it, an EQ would forier-transform the thing, edit the frequencies, transform back? I'm trying to figure out how much damage I'll cause with this; I'm not really used to doing audio edits on this kind of material. :?

Meeeh! Nuclear Blast should do this as a quick remaster, or at least before the conversion to CD-Audio! :| CD is limiting enough as it is, it doesn't get better when I turn screws on it afterwards. :( Also, I'm not buying an album to edit it, I buy an album for listening to it. Duh.

This really should be fixed by the person who mixed the original, then placed on the download content page.

Led Guardian

#5 Post by Led Guardian » 03 Aug 2010 01:39

VandroiyDE wrote:Ah, sorry. I only read the first page, and everybody was discussing (IMO whining for no reason about) that one moment on "Wheel of Time" with resonances to the brass. (I think the result sounds awesome WITH it, just the two at 8:14 and 8:15 are *a little* too much quantized... there are worse recording problems on the CD than that.) Anyways, I got annoyed at the topic before I reached page two. Sorry, should have searched more thoroughly.

Still: now I'm faced with having to repair a track myself? Waaaaah :shock: *shocked* ... I'm totally afraid of damaging it. I don't mean within frequency space, but possibly by side-effects of the discretization when I revert to 16 bit resolution... how much quieter than the loudest tone can a human ear hear a signal? This smells like I need to do calculations to make sure I'm leaving this intact. Good thing the section is loud though.

As I understand it, an EQ would forier-transform the thing, edit the frequencies, transform back? I'm trying to figure out how much damage I'll cause with this; I'm not really used to doing audio edits on this kind of material. :?

Meeeh! Nuclear Blast should do this as a quick remaster, or at least before the conversion to CD-Audio! :| CD is limiting enough as it is, it doesn't get better when I turn screws on it afterwards. :( Also, I'm not buying an album to edit it, I buy an album for listening to it. Duh.

This really should be fixed by the person who mixed the original, then placed on the download content page.
IIRC, one of the posters in the other topic has offered to send people the edited file if they want the sound gone. It was apparently a frequency completely separate from most anything else in the song.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

VandroiyDE

#6 Post by VandroiyDE » 03 Aug 2010 01:54

Led Guardian wrote:IIRC, one of the posters in the other topic has offered to send people the edited file if they want the sound gone. It was apparently a frequency completely separate from most anything else in the song.
Well... one reason for me to buy CDs is to be able to make sure nobody damages the sound. I use an exact audio ripper, lossless compression, etc... downloading from some user on a forum afterward kind of defies the purpose. (Sorry, maybe he did a perfect job, point is just that I'd have to triple-check.)

I guess I will do a similar hot-fix. Still, I'd very much prefer an official repaired version.

Making the edit officially would also have the advantage of remaining CRC-comparable, albeit to a new checksum. And maybe, they could fix the track on future sold CDs, which would benefit a lot of people.

Led Guardian

#7 Post by Led Guardian » 03 Aug 2010 02:00

Audiophile much? :P
Gonna be honest, 128 kbps, 256 kbps, doesn't really sound noticeably different from the CD to me most of the time.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Andreas

#8 Post by Andreas » 03 Aug 2010 02:04

I can't hear it. Thank God...

lord of the west

#9 Post by lord of the west » 03 Aug 2010 02:42

Andreas wrote:I can't hear it. Thank God...
I can't hear that high frequency at all either. All i hear is a high pitched flute that could be mistaken has some sort of production mistake. Even if it was a production mistake, which i believe it wasn't, that high pitched sound goes well with the song :)

lord of the west

#10 Post by lord of the west » 03 Aug 2010 02:49

Nvm that post i hear it now. Took me a few listens to actually hear :) That high pitch sound is so high pitched that you have to listen to it very closely and i mean closely. I can still live with hearing the song with the high pitched sound though, it's not so much of a nuiscance since i can only hear it a little. Even though it's not much of a nuiscance for me (since i can tolerate it), it should get fixed as it could be a nuiscance for other people.

T3hOverlord

#11 Post by T3hOverlord » 03 Aug 2010 04:27

not for me, it stood out and made me cringe before I even heard this was a problem for anyone else, so I wasnt actively listening for it, i thought it was just my ears acting up, but I heard it again and again, it sticks out like a sore thumb for the whole 40 seconds its on.

(it may be just because I'm young and able-bodied :mrgreen: )

lord of the west

#12 Post by lord of the west » 03 Aug 2010 04:31

after knowing about it, it does come up more pronounced now. Maybe they'll fix it by the time it comes out in North America. I mean it's still a little less than a month and it's probably a minor fix for the song, so who knows.

bestpike

#13 Post by bestpike » 03 Aug 2010 08:40

lord of the west wrote:after knowing about it, it does come up more pronounced now. Maybe they'll fix it by the time it comes out in North America. I mean it's still a little less than a month and it's probably a minor fix for the song, so who knows.
If Blind Guardian are the perfectionists I thought them to be, they will deem this unacceptable and do something to rectify it. I'm dying to see if they will acknowledge or just let it go.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Mackasfour

#14 Post by Mackasfour » 03 Aug 2010 12:45

Ahh, I heard a slight high pitched noise right at 2:50, then it slowly fades for me.
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Energokinetic

#15 Post by Energokinetic » 03 Aug 2010 12:49

Mackasfour wrote:Ahh, I heard a slight high pitched noise right at 2:50, then it slowly fades for me.
I WANT your ears...I NEED your ears! :twisted:

bestpike

#16 Post by bestpike » 03 Aug 2010 12:53

For those unable to hear it, here is a spectrograph of the song. Notice anything weird? :lol:

http://img291.imageshack.us/f/58907970.jpg
Forever to be free

Andreas

#17 Post by Andreas » 03 Aug 2010 12:55

I don't care about the fact that it's there, as long as I can't hear it.

Arwen Arianna

#18 Post by Arwen Arianna » 03 Aug 2010 13:00

I can only hear it on my MP3 player (which has a crappy sound), not on my CD player, though :shock:
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

bestpike

#19 Post by bestpike » 03 Aug 2010 13:01

Andreas wrote:I don't care about the fact that it's there, as long as I can't hear it.
I guess you're right. I wouldn't care either if I couldn't hear it. I just posted it so people who can't hear it don't think it isn't there.
Forever to be free

T-Fizzle

#20 Post by T-Fizzle » 03 Aug 2010 15:13

Holy crap, I can hear it now. :(

For about three seconds at 2:53.
Kickin' names and takin' ass.

majesty

#21 Post by majesty » 03 Aug 2010 15:27

Arwen Arianna wrote:I can only hear it on my MP3 player (which has a crappy sound), not on my CD player, though :shock:
For me it´s the other way round. I hear it on the CD but not with my iPod :lol:
The Lights are up,
Now let the play begin!

*Why save the world when you can rule it? And why touch the ground when you can fly away to dreams...?*

VandroiyDE

#22 Post by VandroiyDE » 03 Aug 2010 15:34

I edited it out just now, using an EQ: -37 dB at 15624 Hz, width 0.02 octaves.

This is still a rough cut, maybe I'll make a sharper one

Edit: I did second version: -34 dB at 15624 Hz, width 0.01 octave.

See my first post for data on the beep, I edited it into the post.
Last edited by VandroiyDE on 03 Aug 2010 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

Arwen Arianna

#23 Post by Arwen Arianna » 03 Aug 2010 15:36

majesty wrote:
Arwen Arianna wrote:I can only hear it on my MP3 player (which has a crappy sound), not on my CD player, though :shock:
Lucky you. I just realized that I can also hear it on my CD player when I pay attention to it... :S
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

Skrymir

#24 Post by Skrymir » 03 Aug 2010 15:39

Arwen Arianna wrote:
majesty wrote:
Lucky you. I just realized that I can also hear it on my CD player when I pay attention to it... :S
Then you propably shouldn't do that. :P

I can hear it only when I focus on it and only when I listen to the song on youtube. This totally drives me nuts, I'm really not old and I don't hear it. :(

VandroiyDE

#25 Post by VandroiyDE » 03 Aug 2010 16:15

I don't hear it anymore now. 8)

As edited into the first post now, for me, an EQ editing only 0.01 octave linewidth does the job.
Skrymir wrote:I can hear it only when I focus on it and only when I listen to the song on youtube. This totally drives me nuts, I'm really not old and I don't hear it. :(
>YouTube

Dude, listen to the CD. On YouTube, there are idiots around who APPLY SHIT to songs from AtEoT before uploading, maybe to annoy us. Some versions are even pitched, or have added chorus! Also, YouTube below 480p totally destroys all music through compression.

lord of the west

#26 Post by lord of the west » 03 Aug 2010 18:08

Mackasfour wrote:Ahh, I heard a slight high pitched noise right at 2:50, then it slowly fades for me.
Me too and if you closely listen a little the high pitch is still there up to 3:33. The high pitch sort of blends a little with the sound between 2:50 - 3:33, but it's still there. You can def. tell the difference when 3:33 comes along.

Thoreg

#27 Post by Thoreg » 03 Aug 2010 18:44

I still haven't received my pyramid so I haven't heard the song yet, but: is that thing possibly the "watermark" used by Nuclear Blast against leaking? And maybe by accident they've left it there. Why else could be there something that noticable on the spectograph?
So many centuries
So many Gods
We were the prisoners
Of our own fantasy

sharpened_graphite

#28 Post by sharpened_graphite » 03 Aug 2010 20:24

My personal suspicion that it's an artefact related to the recording of tapdancing they couldn't quite eliminate.

Dentarthurdent

#29 Post by Dentarthurdent » 03 Aug 2010 20:29

sharpened_graphite wrote:My personal suspicion that it's an artefact related to the recording of tapdancing they couldn't quite eliminate.
I've never heard a tap dancer producing super-high beeps. you can see in the video that they've only bee recorded by a bunch of microphones hanging in front of them. I can't imagine it comes from that, lest anything of the equipment was broken.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

bestpike

#30 Post by bestpike » 03 Aug 2010 20:50

sharpened_graphite wrote:My personal suspicion that it's an artefact related to the recording of tapdancing they couldn't quite eliminate.
Couldn't eliminate it? The original poster, me, and another user already did it with a simple bandpass filter with extremely minimal damage on the song. I'm sure Charlie Bauerfiend could have done much better.
Forever to be free

VandroiyDE

#31 Post by VandroiyDE » 04 Aug 2010 00:24

They obviously missed it. They had nobody in the studio who could hear it, and they never did visual checking on plots of the songs.

This basically means two QC procedures failed or were omitted. Not exactly something to be proud of.

The correct reaction now would be to make a fixed version from the present studio material, upload it to the download content page, and issue an apology.

But producers usually don't do such a thing. I guess, as always, the matter will be ignored by those whose job should have been preventing it in the first place. And there I was, thinking that music is the last remaining stand of undiminished quality... guess such a thing doesn't exist.

Precurser

#32 Post by Precurser » 04 Aug 2010 07:55

Kinda off topic here, but I don't notice any difference between the 128kbs bitrate album and the 320kbs bitrate album. Like seriously, I can hear no difference.
You just looked at my signature.

bestpike

#33 Post by bestpike » 04 Aug 2010 09:33

I would be satisfied if they just started producing mistake-free copies without announcing or acknowledging anything. As far as we can get our hands on fixed songs I'm good.

By they way VandoiyDE, I have spectrograph analyzed also Wheel of Time in order to see what the frequency spectrum looks like during one of those jitters. The biggest jitter starts at 18:15:90 and ends at 18:16:50. This is what the song looks like at this duration http://img186.imageshack.us/f/wheeloftime.jpg/. You can see 12 very unnatural for real-life instruments frequency spikes, I have never seen this in any other songs, so I think probably this was not intended after all and its just another production mistake. Do you have any idea how to fix this little bastard? It seems tricky as hell, but you seem to know some stuff more than the average joe.
Forever to be free

Rhalph

#34 Post by Rhalph » 04 Aug 2010 14:47

bestpike, I have a question for Wheel of Time... does the frequency spikes synchronised with the tempo ? It would be a hint that it's indeed natural or unnatural...

Thoreg

#35 Post by Thoreg » 04 Aug 2010 17:15

Haha now I listened to the song! That high beeping kicks ass! I think it's great there! ;) :D Really!
So many centuries
So many Gods
We were the prisoners
Of our own fantasy

bestpike

#36 Post by bestpike » 04 Aug 2010 20:18

Rhalph wrote:bestpike, I have a question for Wheel of Time... does the frequency spikes synchronised with the tempo ? It would be a hint that it's indeed natural or unnatural...
Well, as you can see the 12 spikes occur in 0.175 seconds. That's 0.0145 seconds between every spike, or the spikes occur at a frequency of 68.5Hz. As far as I know tempo is measured in bpm, so 68.5hz is 4114bpm. That number must be astronomical for music.
Forever to be free

T3hOverlord

#37 Post by T3hOverlord » 05 Aug 2010 04:59

or if they release another single for the album, include a fixed version of Curse My Name on it.

Precurser

#38 Post by Precurser » 05 Aug 2010 05:10

T3hOverlord wrote:or if they release another single for the album, include a fixed version of Curse My Name on it.
They should add a better music video to that single too ;)
You just looked at my signature.

VandroiyDE

#39 Post by VandroiyDE » 11 Aug 2010 17:24

bestpike wrote:I would be satisfied if they just started producing mistake-free copies without announcing or acknowledging anything. As far as we can get our hands on fixed songs I'm good.

By they way VandoiyDE, I have spectrograph analyzed also Wheel of Time in order to see what the frequency spectrum looks like during one of those jitters. The biggest jitter starts at 18:15:90 and ends at 18:16:50. This is what the song looks like at this duration http://img186.imageshack.us/f/wheeloftime.jpg/. You can see 12 very unnatural for real-life instruments frequency spikes, I have never seen this in any other songs, so I think probably this was not intended after all and its just another production mistake. Do you have any idea how to fix this little bastard? It seems tricky as hell, but you seem to know some stuff more than the average joe.
Yea Wheel of Time. :(

I don't understand though why everyone is hyped about that little sound at the end you're mentioning, while other parts are damaged in a more disturbing way. It seems to be a resonance to the brass, so the tone isn't totally wrong... there are at least two other problems that only damage the track.

3:48 - 3:58 is the worst for me. I suppose it's jumps in the waveform; but whatever it is, it just sounds very broken and gets worse the better your high-tone speakers are. And there's a longer jump in the strings somewhere, I think it even breaks the rhythm audibly.

I could pick out the exact timing of each problem, but I have no idea what to do with those.

Maybe we should call Nuclear Blast and ask whether a professional could get his hands on a high quality master and try to edit and then downsample that? Otherwise, I'm open for ideas... I don't know whether a lowpass would work well against that kind of damage, and the skipping strings probably can't be fixed by us, since that happened before the vocals were mixed in.

Problem is: I know physics and I have good ears and audio output, but I'm not an expert in audio editing. All I did for "Curse My Name" was google for a customizable equalizer. I doubt I'm capable of fixing such irregular errors. :?

spamel

#40 Post by spamel » 11 Aug 2010 20:44

Maybe it is a morse code message saying "If you notice this message, get a life!" :twisted:

Only joking! I am glad I am a crusty old bugger that hung around loud machinery and fired too many rifles and automatic weapons over the years! I can't even hear the song, let alone the beeps! :mrgreen:
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Beorn.mrs

#41 Post by Beorn.mrs » 16 Aug 2010 13:27

I knew I wasn't dreaming... This beeping is on every version I found : CD, FLAC ripp, MP3 ripp, deezer.com...

I never go to a show without earplugs, but sometimes I wish I had no such preserved ears ^_^. This sound is quite painful, and it's a shame, because I especially love this song (well, I like it even more than the rest of the album, which is awesome already). I have tweaked my FLAC for now, but I also hope BG will provide a fixed version (although I know it's hard to ensure people really have bought the CD). Using audacity on a BG song is kinda heresy, I felt ashamed doing it on my own xD.

On my setup, (with audacity and the plugin recommended by OP) an octave of 0.01 was rounded to 0, and the beeping remained. With a value of 0.1, I got a pleasant result, but maybe that altered the step-dancing track (lots of high-freqs in that I guess).

Listening to "Curse My Name" is now an even greater experience ! I recommend to tweak it for everyone who ears the beeping.

neverhood

#42 Post by neverhood » 18 Aug 2010 23:12

wow, it's really there! that explains why I hated the song... or maybe doesn't.
looks like their sound producer is deaf!

Ryu

#43 Post by Ryu » 19 Aug 2010 00:17

I must be deaf, too.
Defiant of destiny

Skrymir

#44 Post by Skrymir » 19 Aug 2010 00:25

You don't need to be deaf. I think a sound this high can simply not be heard when you are an normal person (not somehow training the ears and stuff) and about 22 years old or older. I showed this part to some people of different ages and 22 seems to be about the edge of hearing the beep. So it must be a really very high tone. So I guess you can't blame Charlie Bauerfeind for not hearing it. Maybe for not seeing it on some visualisation like it's been posted here, but I am no expert.

bestpike

#45 Post by bestpike » 19 Aug 2010 03:20

Skrymir wrote:You don't need to be deaf. I think a sound this high can simply not be heard when you are an normal person (not somehow training the ears and stuff) and about 22 years old or older. I showed this part to some people of different ages and 22 seems to be about the edge of hearing the beep. So it must be a really very high tone. So I guess you can't blame Charlie Bauerfeind for not hearing it. Maybe for not seeing it on some visualisation like it's been posted here, but I am no expert.
I'm 26, I'm not training my ears and I wasn't looking for mistakes in the songs. At first I didn't notice it, after 1 or 2 more listens it became clear. But after I spotted it, when that part comes, "the bolt of pain keeps ripping through my head". Glad it was so easy to edit it out. The Wheel of Time mistakes are easily forgivable too, so I think its all good now. I'm still hoping for some correct official versions of the 2 songs though.
Forever to be free

Herr Inoddorell

#46 Post by Herr Inoddorell » 19 Aug 2010 04:55

Skrymir wrote:You don't need to be deaf. I think a sound this high can simply not be heard when you are an normal person (not somehow training the ears and stuff) and about 22 years old or older. I showed this part to some people of different ages and 22 seems to be about the edge of hearing the beep. So it must be a really very high tone. So I guess you can't blame Charlie Bauerfeind for not hearing it. Maybe for not seeing it on some visualisation like it's been posted here, but I am no expert.
I'm 22 years old and I can't hear it, but hell, what a pity. Such awesome song ruined by that :x .

neverhood

#47 Post by neverhood » 19 Aug 2010 17:59

Audio producer *has* to train his ears, and has to be able to hear that frequency, it's not ultrasonic, it's just a lame 15kHz...
Yes, hearing limit weakens with age, but it falls from about 20kHz to around 15kHz, so you should be able to hear it... Maybe you were using bad sound equipment, or were not paying enough attention? Anyway, sound producer should do better than that, it's his work!

ThePKH

#48 Post by ThePKH » 20 Aug 2010 11:25

That's just Blind Guardian with their trademark bleep again. :D
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

bestpike

#49 Post by bestpike » 20 Aug 2010 11:33

ThePKH wrote:That's just Blind Guardian with their trademark bleep again. :D
Only this one lasts 40 seconds :D
Forever to be free

Rob The Wise

#50 Post by Rob The Wise » 24 Aug 2010 19:56

Just fixed my mp3, thanks for the fix! :lol: :mrgreen: But can anyone help me on how I can fix this thing on the ACTUAL CD?