Bad notes (debunked), artefacts etc on this great album

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Kuros

Bad notes (debunked), artefacts etc on this great album

#1 Post by Kuros » 29 Jul 2010 14:09

I don't mean to complain at all since it's an awesome song, just wondering if my ears delude me that the brass at 8:15 doesn't quite sound right?

edit1,2: changed the topic name since the thread changed topic
edit3: song i referred to is wheel of time, but never mind, i'm tone deaf
Last edited by Kuros on 30 Jul 2010 00:42, edited 3 times in total.

The Frederick

Re: Wheel of Time chorus off-key notes

#2 Post by The Frederick » 29 Jul 2010 14:17

Sounds ok to me...

notimportant

#3 Post by notimportant » 29 Jul 2010 14:23

I hear the difference but it doesn't sound bad for me. I think it creates nice contrast between "happy" chorus and melody shifting towards rather calm ending.

LeBard

#4 Post by LeBard » 29 Jul 2010 16:33

I was just annoyed about the same thing! It's also bad between 03:50 - 04:00. I'm not sure what it is, but there seem to be something wrong with the production? I'm not sure. That surprises me since this is Blind Guardian, the perfectionist. Tomorrow I will listen to the song on Spotify and see if the same error is there, if it's not I'll just buy that version. Right now, I can't truly enjoy the song on headphones (when it becomes so apparent) because my brain goes into a "Alright, let us listen to that weird sound in the background..."-mode everytime I'm close to that... clipping sound. Sigh, it's such a good song too.

Andreas

#5 Post by Andreas » 29 Jul 2010 16:37

Well, that's what happens when you download your music without paying for it :mrgreen:

LeBard

#6 Post by LeBard » 29 Jul 2010 16:53

Andreas wrote:Well, that's what happens when you download your music without paying for it :mrgreen:
"Karma is a bitch" - However, the error is also in the orchestra version on Disc 2 so I'm pretty sure this is a problem that lies within the mastered CD, so when I get my legal copy it probably won't change a thing. Oh well, there's always Live Shows.

Evil Peter

#7 Post by Evil Peter » 29 Jul 2010 17:20

There are no off-key notes in any of the two parts mentioned. It's the ANATO release all over again where people thought there's a beep in Under the Ice, which there of course isn't. Either your rip is bad (I have the CD), you have a stereo that makes the music sound strange or the problem lies in your ears.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

LeBard

#8 Post by LeBard » 29 Jul 2010 17:44

Evil Peter wrote:There are no off-key notes in any of the two parts mentioned. It's the ANATO release all over again where people thought there's a beep in Under the Ice, which there of course isn't. Either your rip is bad (I have the CD), you have a stereo that makes the music sound strange or the problem lies in your ears.
Well, I'm not talking about off-key notes. The sound clips; it reminds me of Death Magnetic, except on that particular record it was all over the place. It doesn't surprise me that people can't notice it (if the problem is indeed on the CD), hell, I listened to the songs like 20 times before I noticed it (which is a good indication of how small and minor the clipping is) but now I can’t shrug it off me. I anticipate the damn sound. I hate myself for even being so anal about things like that. I can stand Death Magnetic because I know the mastering was shit, but the production on At the edge of Time os so crisp and smooth that one little error stands out.
Tomorrow I will find out!
(Or maybe it's my ears)

T-Fizzle

#9 Post by T-Fizzle » 29 Jul 2010 18:07

Anyone know New Religion (the song, from the album of the same name) by Primal Fear. The chorus always sounds off key to me, but it might just be a weird harmony.

8.15 on WoT...sounds like a Tuba fart in the background, but the melodies are spot on, same for 3.50-4.00. At least for my ears.
Kickin' names and takin' ass.

Kuros

#10 Post by Kuros » 29 Jul 2010 18:13

T-Fizzle wrote:Anyone know New Religion (the song, from the album of the same name) by Primal Fear. The chorus always sounds off key to me, but it might just be a weird harmony.

8.15 on WoT...sounds like a Tuba fart in the background, but the melodies are spot on, same for 3.50-4.00. At least for my ears.
You mean on the word "pain" at 1:07?

Kuros

#11 Post by Kuros » 29 Jul 2010 18:18

LeBard wrote:I was just annoyed about the same thing! It's also bad between 03:50 - 04:00. I'm not sure what it is, but there seem to be something wrong with the production? I'm not sure. That surprises me since this is Blind Guardian, the perfectionist. Tomorrow I will listen to the song on Spotify and see if the same error is there, if it's not I'll just buy that version. Right now, I can't truly enjoy the song on headphones (when it becomes so apparent) because my brain goes into a "Alright, let us listen to that weird sound in the background..."-mode everytime I'm close to that... clipping sound. Sigh, it's such a good song too.
It sounds a little bit like it might be noise from one of the instruments. Like a bit of a sparking/scratching sound. But it sounds more in the foreground to me.

BRi7X

#12 Post by BRi7X » 29 Jul 2010 18:20

Anyone else hear people talking very quietly (I had to preamp +15dB) at the beginning of Wheel of Time? Kind of gives you the intended genuine feeling of the orchestra :)
-Byronius Zedricks Septdicius Ativos, of Aldania, the blessed realm.

Facebook ; Last.fm

T-Fizzle

#13 Post by T-Fizzle » 29 Jul 2010 18:33

Kuros wrote:
T-Fizzle wrote:Anyone know New Religion (the song, from the album of the same name) by Primal Fear. The chorus always sounds off key to me, but it might just be a weird harmony.

You mean on the word "pain" at 1:07?
I was thinking more "The night will faade" part just after. But that whole chorus sits uncomfortably with me.

T3hOverlord

#14 Post by T3hOverlord » 29 Jul 2010 18:34

anyone else find the added pre chorus in Sacred Worlds (around 6:20) sounds weird and out of place, like they should have rerecorded some vocals insead of using the original vocal tracks from 2008?

The Frederick

#15 Post by The Frederick » 29 Jul 2010 20:04

Kuros wrote:It sounds a little bit like it might be noise from one of the instruments. Like a bit of a sparking/scratching sound. But it sounds more in the foreground to me.
Now I DID hear that one.

T-Fizzle

#16 Post by T-Fizzle » 29 Jul 2010 20:13

LeBard wrote:I was just annoyed about the same thing! It's also bad between 03:50 - 04:00. I'm not sure what it is, but there seem to be something wrong with the production? I'm not sure. That surprises me since this is Blind Guardian, the perfectionist. Tomorrow I will listen to the song on Spotify and see if the same error is there, if it's not I'll just buy that version. Right now, I can't truly enjoy the song on headphones (when it becomes so apparent) because my brain goes into a "Alright, let us listen to that weird sound in the background..."-mode everytime I'm close to that... clipping sound. Sigh, it's such a good song too.
Did you get that on 'The Scarecrow' (the song) by Avantasia with the drums at the beginning. Thought it was my speakers at first, but no. Clipped to buggery.

DragonZ

#17 Post by DragonZ » 29 Jul 2010 22:53

My only complain is that Wheel of time end rather fast. It should have had a longer outro been the last song. Sacred worlds has an unnecessary longer outro that could have been use for wheel of time instead seen that the album is almost 80 min long.

Precurser

#18 Post by Precurser » 29 Jul 2010 22:54

I listened at 8:15, and I can say for sure that it isn't "off key" or out of tune, or whatever. Just a little low brass thing acting as part of the lead up to when those trumpets start blasting.
You just looked at my signature.

Precurser

#19 Post by Precurser » 29 Jul 2010 22:57

BRi7X wrote:Anyone else hear people talking very quietly (I had to preamp +15dB) at the beginning of Wheel of Time? Kind of gives you the intended genuine feeling of the orchestra :)
Holy shit there ARE voices :o

Evil Peter

#20 Post by Evil Peter » 29 Jul 2010 23:11

Precurser wrote:I listened at 8:15, and I can say for sure that it isn't "off key" or out of tune, or whatever. Just a little low brass thing acting as part of the lead up to when those trumpets start blasting.
Yes, the low brass is the closest thing I could find but I still can't see how that would be described as it is in the OP so therefor I couldn't exclude that it might be something that sounds worse on the rip compared to the CD.

Precurser

#21 Post by Precurser » 29 Jul 2010 23:12

Andreas wrote:Well, that's what happens when you download your music without paying for it :mrgreen:
Can you please upload it at 320kbps bitrate then?

8)

T-Fizzle

#22 Post by T-Fizzle » 29 Jul 2010 23:24

The moral of this thread quite clearly is that we know better than people who do this for a living.
8)

Precurser

#23 Post by Precurser » 29 Jul 2010 23:26

T-Fizzle wrote:The moral of this thread quite clearly is that we know better than people who do this for a living.
8)
I play in a concert band. Does that count as knowledge on the subject? :mrgreen:

bestpike

#24 Post by bestpike » 30 Jul 2010 00:20

There are jitters all over the place in Wheel of Time. 3:50 and from 8:15 until the end. There is also a very high frequency sound on Curse my Name from 2:49 lasting about 5 seconds. Seriously I thought Blind Guardian's production was perfect until now, but what the fuck is going on here?
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Kuros

#25 Post by Kuros » 30 Jul 2010 00:34

I didn't really mean to start a topic regarding artifacts on people's rips - I'll just note this as another indication of my tonedeafness. :)

bestpike

#26 Post by bestpike » 30 Jul 2010 00:38

Kuros wrote:I didn't really mean to start a topic regarding artifacts on people's rips - I'll just note this as another indication of my tonedeafness. :)
It's not just one rip. I've downloaded a ton of them, including a lossless one. At this point I'm starting to doubt that the original CD (which I will of course buy when it comes to my country) is any better. And this hurts my pride of Blind Guardian a lot :cry:. I have listened to their previous albums a thousand million times, and even with my pickiness I have never found even a small mistake. Suddenly in Ateot they're all over the place. It's almost unreal. The only thing I can wish for is that the vinyl version is ok, and that some good samaritan will rip it for us.
Forever to be free

Precurser

Re: Bad notes (debunked), artefacts etc on this great album

#27 Post by Precurser » 30 Jul 2010 01:52

Oh well. There may be sound glitches, but it's still my favorite song.

bestpike

#28 Post by bestpike » 30 Jul 2010 09:40

Precurser wrote:Oh well. There may be sound glitches, but it's still my favorite song.
Agreed, it's a nice song. However, I don't think I have seen in my life so blatant production mistakes. Generally if the production is bad, it is consistent through the whole album. Here we have jitters all over the song, and a high pitch annoying noise on another one, while the rest sounds perfectly (as of now, I may find other bugs too). Ok, the lejacy thing on War of the Thrones I can understand, but this is too far.

Not just for Blind Guardian which is the best metal band, but for any band generally I would feel discomfort if I heard such things in any random album. If anyone told me that there are jitters and noises in a Blind Guardian production I would probably laugh at him in the least. It seems as if as soon as the album was made, it was pressed into a CD without much (or at all, seriously no one heard the lejacy thing or the noises?) hearing sessions for mistakes of any kind. I'm probably too emo about this, but Blind Guardian are fucking gods. How the hell are they making human mistakes :/

The CD store just got the album in stock I'll go buy it in a bit, but I don't have very high hopes about this.
Forever to be free

sidbarnhoorn

#29 Post by sidbarnhoorn » 30 Jul 2010 10:30

8:15 isn't a production mistake of anykind. It's just the trombone playing and from the sound of it from the lower family like the cimbasso or the bass trombone which has this distrinct "harsh" sound. That's all.

Energokinetic

#30 Post by Energokinetic » 30 Jul 2010 10:32

I cant hear anything either :\ Can someone that got his copy confirm if they exist in the CD too? I'm not going to receive my copy until September :|

bestpike

#31 Post by bestpike » 30 Jul 2010 11:25

sidbarnhoorn wrote:8:15 isn't a production mistake of anykind. It's just the trombone playing and from the sound of it from the lower family like the cimbasso or the bass trombone which has this distrinct "harsh" sound. That's all.
You seriously believe that these sounds come from an instrument? They are spread randomly into the song without rhyme or consistency. To me it is clear as day that this comes from an electronic fault during the production. The sound is electronic, not natural. If this was electronic music, I may have considered it a part of the music, but not Blind Guardian.
Forever to be free

Kuros

#32 Post by Kuros » 30 Jul 2010 12:06

bestpike wrote:
sidbarnhoorn wrote:8:15 isn't a production mistake of anykind. It's just the trombone playing and from the sound of it from the lower family like the cimbasso or the bass trombone which has this distrinct "harsh" sound. That's all.
You seriously believe that these sounds come from an instrument? They are spread randomly into the song without rhyme or consistency. To me it is clear as day that this comes from an electronic fault during the production. The sound is electronic, not natural. If this was electronic music, I may have considered it a part of the music, but not Blind Guardian.
8:15 with the brass was just my ears telling me it was out of key, I didn't really notice anything else right there.

bestpike

#33 Post by bestpike » 30 Jul 2010 12:12

Kuros wrote: 8:15 with the brass was just my ears telling me it was out of key, I didn't really notice anything else right there.
What about the rest of the jitters? There is one at 3:50, then one at around 7:55 and then goes on from 8:15 until the end of the song. You can hear them clearer on the orchestral version of the song in the 2nd cd.
Forever to be free

t.a.j.

#34 Post by t.a.j. » 30 Jul 2010 13:05

I can certainly hear the voices in the beginning of WoT and the farty sound at 8:15.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

LeBard

#35 Post by LeBard » 30 Jul 2010 14:29

So today I received my legal copy and lo and behold; same error. And if it is in fact a brass-player, then why the hell didn't Hansi or André interrupt and be all like: "Yo, Carl, CARL, what the flying FUCKare you doing with that brass? You're out. Stop fucking up my awesome songs"?
And for those who can't hear it, are you using speakers or headphones? With speakers it's not really noticeable, but with headphones... oh man, it's like Carl is right there next to you, raping your ear.
I might downsample this song to 128kbps, just so the sound gets lost in the mix.
Last edited by LeBard on 30 Jul 2010 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

t.a.j.

#36 Post by t.a.j. » 30 Jul 2010 14:30

I heard the brass fart on my notebook speakers. Which are quite good as notebook speakers go, bu still no hi fidelity headphones.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Energokinetic

#37 Post by Energokinetic » 30 Jul 2010 14:37

LeBard wrote:So today I recieved my legal copy and lo and behold; same error. And if it is infact a brass-player, then why the hell didn't Hansi or André go like: "Yo, Carl, CARL, what the flying FUCK are you doing with that brass? You're out. Stop fucking up my awesome songs"?
And for those who can't hear it, are you using speakers or headphones? With speakers it's not really noticeable, but with headphones... oh man, it's like Carl is right there next to you, raping your ear.
I might downsample this song to 128kbps, just so the sound gets lost in the mix.
I listened to the songs from my laptop's speaker. Ill try listening to it with my headset later. I heard the talking too

Evil Peter

#38 Post by Evil Peter » 30 Jul 2010 15:43

LeBard wrote:So today I received my legal copy and lo and behold; same error. And if it is in fact a brass-player, then why the hell didn't Hansi or André interrupt and be all like: "Yo, Carl, CARL, what the flying FUCKare you doing with that brass? You're out. Stop fucking up my awesome songs"?
The very obvious answer is that they didn't dislike it because he's playing exactly what they wrote for him to play. Better to think than to post immature things like that.

bestpike

#39 Post by bestpike » 30 Jul 2010 15:46

Evil Peter wrote:
LeBard wrote:So today I received my legal copy and lo and behold; same error. And if it is in fact a brass-player, then why the hell didn't Hansi or André interrupt and be all like: "Yo, Carl, CARL, what the flying FUCKare you doing with that brass? You're out. Stop fucking up my awesome songs"?
The very obvious answer is that they didn't dislike it because he's playing exactly what they wrote for him to play. Better to think than to post immature things like that.
He's right though. This is a fucking epic song mistakes are not allowed. And I really doubt this is an instrument still. It's like an electric arc kinda sound. Also please can anyone confirm the high pitch sound in 2:49 on Curse my Name?

At this point since the original CD problem is confirmed I can only hope for the vinyl version or maybe a batch from another region. If it's still the same, then I really doubt there will be a re-release of the song because its fucking retarded in the first place to release songs with bugs in them. I've never seen a band re-release a song because of obvious mistakes like that in it. It's not software with bugs for chrissakes. Godamn deaf people from Nuclear Blast went on the listening session i bet.
Forever to be free

The Frederick

#40 Post by The Frederick » 30 Jul 2010 15:50

bestpike wrote:He's right though. This is a fucking epic song mistakes are not allowed. And I really doubt this is an instrument still. It's like an electric arc kinda sound. Also please can anyone confirm the high pitch sound in 2:49 on Curse my Name?
I hear it too, but it's negligible.

I can't personally hear any problems with the brass in Wheel of Time. But I do hear the scratching. It's almost like the sound a speaker makes when it's turned up too high.

Evil Peter

#41 Post by Evil Peter » 30 Jul 2010 16:06

bestpike wrote:
Evil Peter wrote:
He's right though. This is a fucking epic song mistakes are not allowed. And I really doubt this is an instrument still. It's like an electric arc kinda sound. Also please can anyone confirm the high pitch sound in 2:49 on Curse my Name?

At this point since the original CD problem is confirmed I can only hope for the vinyl version or maybe a batch from another region. If it's still the same, then I really doubt there will be a re-release of the song because its fucking retarded in the first place to release songs with bugs in them. I've never seen a band re-release a song because of obvious mistakes like that in it. It's not software with bugs for chrissakes. Godamn deaf people from Nuclear Blast went on the listening session i bet.
The only sound I hear that can be described as electronic is the low brass, which is very low, but it's still a fault with the listener if he doesn't hear it for what it is.

This is probably the Under the Ice "beep" all over again. Some people were absolutely sure that there was an electronic beep, while the rest of us heard it for what it actually was (Hansi's voice). It's just as retarded to not realize limitations in one's ability to listen. Probably what Marcus thought when he joined the discussion and tried to convince the idiots they were wrong.
Last edited by Evil Peter on 30 Jul 2010 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

LeBard

#42 Post by LeBard » 30 Jul 2010 16:10

Evil Peter wrote:
I doubt "play something glitchy" was ordered from the band. Look; I love this album and this particular song. If I sounded immature I am sorry, it's just that I'm so disappointed. The only reason I bitch is because I can't stop listening to the song. :lol: Every time I try to listen to this album I put Wheel of Time on repeat.

My guess on what happened: they recorded the orchestra-part in Prague right? They probably didn't hear anything "wrong" at the time it was recorded, and maybe the fault lies in its mastering and not on the orchestra itself (I also think the glitch sounds too electronic to be an actual instrument).

Then whoever mastered the song (brickwalled the recording?) sent it to the Twilight Studio, where the mistake was heard. André couldn't really do anything about it, it was out of his hands. It would be too expensive to gather an whole orchestra again because of such a little mistake. And here we are now.

Just a guess!

Edit (didn't see this post as I was posting):
The only sound I hear that can be described as electronic is the low brass, which is very low, but it's still a fault with the listener if he doesn't hear it for what it is.

This is probably the Under the Ice "beep" all over again. Some people were absolutely sure that there was an electronic beep, while the rest of us heard it for what it actually was (Hansi's voice). It's just as retarded to not realize limitations in one's ability to listen.
I don't want to pull the I-am-listening-with-some-drat-expensive-headphones card because so are you, probably. And if it is a low brass, fine, but then I am listening to the most out-of-place low brass I've ever heard. I never had a problem with Rhapsody, Therion, Epica etc. and their use of orchestras.

(PS. Never heard the beep in Under the Ice.)
Last edited by LeBard on 30 Jul 2010 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

The Frederick

#43 Post by The Frederick » 30 Jul 2010 16:11

Evil Peter wrote:The only sound I hear that can be described as electronic is the low brass, which is very low, but it's still a fault with the listener if he doesn't hear it for what it is.

This is probably the Under the Ice "beep" all over again. Some people were absolutely sure that there was an electronic beep, while the rest of us heard it for what it actually was (Hansi's voice). It's just as retarded to not realize limitations in one's ability to listen.
Nah, this one's definitely here. It's one of those really high pitched noises, the kind that's a little ear-splitting.

It's not really surprising that it was missed: people lose the ability to hear higher pitches over time. Unless there was a 20 year old there at the time, it could easily have been missed.

EDIT: I'm referring to the anomaly in "Curse My Name".

Evil Peter

#44 Post by Evil Peter » 30 Jul 2010 16:14

LeBard wrote:
Evil Peter wrote:
I doubt "play something glitchy" was ordered from the band. Look; I love this album and this particular song. If I sounded immature I am sorry, it's just that I'm so disappointed. The only reason I bitch is because I can't stop listening to the song. :lol: Every time I try to listen to this album I put Wheel of Time on repeat.

My guess on what happened: they recorded the orchestra-part in Prague right? They probably didn't hear anything "wrong" at the time it was recorded, and maybe the fault lies in its mastering and not on the orchestra itself (I also think the glitch sounds too electronic to be an actual instrument).

Then whoever mastered the song (brickwalled the recording?) sent it to the Twilight Studio, where the mistake was heard. André couldn't really do anything about it, it was out of his hands. It would be too expensive to gather an whole orchestra again because of such a little mistake. And here we are now.

Just a guess!
If it had been something wrong (the brass part isn't an error, it's supposed to be like that, that I'm certain of) it shouldn't have cost anything because the orchestra (in which I include the producer) wouldn't have delivered what they should and thus it would be on them to get it right.

Evil Peter

#45 Post by Evil Peter » 30 Jul 2010 16:19

The Frederick wrote:Nah, this one's definitely here. It's one of those really high pitched noises, the kind that's a little ear-splitting.

It's not really surprising that it was missed: people lose the ability to hear higher pitches over time. Unless there was a 20 year old there at the time, it could easily have been missed.

EDIT: I'm referring to the anomaly in "Curse My Name".
I'm talking about The Wheel of Time. I can't comment on the Curse My Name issue as I don't have the album available at the time and I haven't focused on that part earlier.

Then again I should also have learned that it's not worth going into long discussions about that in 2002.

Dentarthurdent

#46 Post by Dentarthurdent » 30 Jul 2010 16:23

There's is some sort of high beep at that point in Curse my Name, but I only noticed it because I was really paying attention.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

The Frederick

#47 Post by The Frederick » 30 Jul 2010 16:25

Honestly, I can't hear the alleged brass error in WoT, what is it supposed to sound like? All I can hear is the scratching.

drummer88

#48 Post by drummer88 » 30 Jul 2010 16:28

it's quite sad, that after 4 years BG comes up with such a great album and most of the people just want to disguss about one or two small errors in the production

LeBard

#49 Post by LeBard » 30 Jul 2010 16:32

drummer88 wrote:it's quite sad, that after 4 years BG comes up with such a great album and most of the people just want to disguss about one or two small errors in the production
The fact that we discuss some minor mistakes in production and not fatal mistakes in song-writing should be a good testament on how awesome this album is. :P

Dentarthurdent

#50 Post by Dentarthurdent » 30 Jul 2010 16:33

The Frederick wrote:Honestly, I can't hear the alleged brass error in WoT, what is it supposed to sound like? All I can hear is the scratching.
same here.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect