Playing a full album live

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
The Rider Of Rohan

Playing a full album live

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 Jul 2010 10:24

A lot of bands are doing shows where they perform a classic album entirely. This year Megadeth does Rust in Piece, Slayer does Seasons in the Abyss and a couple of bands (Tiamat and Grave Digger) do the same this at Wacken.

Wouldn't it be amazing if BG did the same thing with a classic album? *cough*nightfall*cough*
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

Re: Playing a full album live

#2 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 17 Jul 2010 10:52

it'd be nice to get iftos played on it's original order,as an encore.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

The_Soulforged

#3 Post by The_Soulforged » 17 Jul 2010 10:57

Wouldn't it be amazing if BG did the same thing with a classic album?
Yeah, would be pretty cool. I want to see Somewhere Far Beyond!
will my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death i will smile.

Andreas

#4 Post by Andreas » 17 Jul 2010 11:09

Nightfall for me. I'm dying to hear The Minstrel once live. And Harvest of Sorrow at the end of course.

drummer88

#5 Post by drummer88 » 17 Jul 2010 11:10

yeah would be cool idea for the next festival ...first night the orechestral stuff and the second night one album in its entire (fans could vote the album they want to hear) plus other songs to fill the rest fo the setlist

Orodaran

#6 Post by Orodaran » 17 Jul 2010 11:18

Of course that album must be NIGHTFALL IN MIDDLE-EARTH!!!!! At the next Blind Guardian open air and with actors :wink:

Or if they want to jump on the "anniversaries" bandwagon, this year it's the 15th anniversary of Imaginations so why not.... :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#7 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 17 Jul 2010 11:34

Orodaran wrote:Or if they want to jump on the "anniversaries" bandwagon, this year it's the 15th anniversary of Imaginations so why not.... :P
ok,so it's settled!IFTOS FTW!

*loud vuvuzela's playing in the background"
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Traveller in Time

#8 Post by Traveller in Time » 17 Jul 2010 11:55

I think the first album they will play live completely will be the one of the orchestra project! ;)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

The Rider Of Rohan

#9 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 Jul 2010 12:07

Ehr, guys... Haven't they played IFTOS in its entirely during almost every show in the past 10 years?
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Desert_Storm

#10 Post by Desert_Storm » 17 Jul 2010 12:42

Yeah, though I prefer iftos to nime, playing the whole iftos in original order wouldn't make too much sense. As Rider pointed out, they played more or less every song of it at more or less every show, plus there is no concept or whatever in iftos, you can randomly switch song positions without making any big difference.
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Ryu

#11 Post by Ryu » 17 Jul 2010 12:49

IFTOS.. wonderful album, but overdone. NIME would be perfect, or SFB.
Defiant of destiny

Traveller in Time

#12 Post by Traveller in Time » 17 Jul 2010 13:08

IFTOS completely? No but i am pretty sure they played the "Live" album really often ;)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

tigs6969

#13 Post by tigs6969 » 17 Jul 2010 13:33

NO ONE HAS MENTIONED ANATO? disgusting

Bard

#14 Post by Bard » 17 Jul 2010 14:18

I'd kill to see Nightfall but I also would love to see the entire ANATO since both of those albums are probably my favourite metal albums ever. But I think Nightfall would make a better live album than ANATO since it's perfect as a studio album and some of the songs really doesn't work that well live from my personal experience. But some of the songs they haven't played could potentially be awsome :). Either way I wouldn't hesitate once if they were to play either of the albums :)

Orodaran

#15 Post by Orodaran » 17 Jul 2010 14:30

The only problem with Nightfall is that we're so used to have Mirror Mirror as a closing song that having it in the middle of the whole thing is a quite strong anticlimax, but uh well :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Gandalf de Grijze

#16 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 17 Jul 2010 14:32

Orodaran wrote:The only problem with Nightfall is that we're so used to have Mirror Mirror as a closing song that having it in the middle of the whole thing is a quite strong anticlimax, but uh well :P
not for me.. I've always felt that BG had better songs to close the concert with
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

bestpike

#17 Post by bestpike » 17 Jul 2010 14:46

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: not for me.. I've always felt that BG had better songs to close the concert with
Not many though. I would say either Time Stands Still, Nightfall or Bright Eyes could replace it. Maybe Punishment Divine. One of those would be ok. Can't think of others. What did ya have in mind?
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

The_Soulforged

#18 Post by The_Soulforged » 17 Jul 2010 15:00

bestpike wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote: not for me.. I've always felt that BG had better songs to close the concert with
Not many though. I would say either Time Stands Still, Nightfall or Bright Eyes could replace it. Maybe Punishment Divine. One of those would be ok. Can't think of others. What did ya have in mind?
Well, i think Blind Guardian have many Songs to close a Concert with. So, "Mirror Mirror" is a great end of a concert and "And the Story Ends" is a good choice i think. Or maybe Brian, i love this Song. "Imaginations" or "Majesty" are great too.
will my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death i will smile.

Orodaran

#19 Post by Orodaran » 17 Jul 2010 15:05

Mr. Sandman beats them all :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Gandalf de Grijze

#20 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 17 Jul 2010 15:06

A dark passage/final chapter
the ending of nime is a perfect ending in my humble opinion.. after the outro the band can bow to the audience and say their thanks.
the song breathes an ending in music and atmosphere, the crowd chanting "slowly marching on, still we're marching on"...

I'd also consider barbara ann as a nice way to end a show, if just for teh party character of the song. And The Story Ends is a perfect closer as well, this song breathes the end of a show just as much as A Dark Passage/Final Chapter.

Out of your options i only agree with Punishment Divine.

maybe wheel of time can be a nice closer as well, we'll hear if it breathes the ending of a cd/show as much as others.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Gandalf de Grijze

#21 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 17 Jul 2010 15:07

Orodaran wrote:Mr. Sandman beats them all :D
almost mentioned it..

The_Soulforged

#22 Post by The_Soulforged » 17 Jul 2010 15:08

A dark passage/final chapter
the ending of nime is a perfect ending in my humble opinion.. after the outro the band can bow to the audience and say their thanks.
the song breathes an ending in music and atmosphere, the crowd chanting "slowly marching on, still we're marching on"...
I have to agree with you Gandalf, would be pretty cool.

bestpike

#23 Post by bestpike » 17 Jul 2010 16:07

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:A dark passage/final chapter

I'd also consider barbara ann as a nice way to end a show, if just for teh party character of the song. And The Story Ends is a perfect closer as well, this song breathes the end of a show just as much as A Dark Passage/Final Chapter.

Out of your options i only agree with Punishment Divine.

maybe wheel of time can be a nice closer as well, we'll hear if it breathes the ending of a cd/show as much as others.
Well my options where from a perfection point of view, those songs that I feel couldn't have been done better. You went for a different approach of atmosphere and stuff, which isn't bad either. Almost any song of BG can be used for ending tbh. You don't believe Time Stands Still is good enough btw? :O
Forever to be free

Gandalf de Grijze

#24 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 17 Jul 2010 17:47

TST is one of my least favorite songs from Nime

Orodaran

#25 Post by Orodaran » 17 Jul 2010 18:09

As for ending, people are forgetting easily about Somewhere Far Beyond 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

yamasidious

#26 Post by yamasidious » 17 Jul 2010 18:38

My vote is NIME to be played live from Into the stom to the Dark passage with Harvest of sorrow as an encore.

Now as far as a regular BG show in my opinion and then there was silence is the best closer.

The Rider Of Rohan

#27 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 Jul 2010 19:32

So how about this?

1. War Of Wrath
2. Into The Storm
3. Lammoth
4. Nightfall
5. The Minstrel
6. The Curse Of Feanor
7. Captured
8. Blood Tears
9. Mirror Mirror
10. Face The Truth
11. Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)
12. Battle Of Sudden Flame
13. Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)
14. The Dark Elf
15. Thorn
16. The Eldar
17. Nom The Wise
18. When Sorrow Sang
19. Out On The Water
20. The Steadfast
21. A Dark Passage
22. Final Chapter (Thus Ends...)

Encore
23. Harvest Of Sorrow
24. And Then There Was Silence

Encore II:

25. And The Story Ends

This setlist would take about 100 minutes and would be the most amazing thing ever.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#28 Post by Andreas » 17 Jul 2010 20:11

After I would've seen that, I could die happily.

bestpike

#29 Post by bestpike » 17 Jul 2010 20:17

I doubt this will ever happen though. The reason is, Nime is one of their best albums in my opinion, but unlike other bands each album is considerably different, which means some don't like Nime very much or at all. BG needs to include songs from all their albums to keep everyone satisfied unfortunately. It's not like Metallica and Master of Puppets :D.
Forever to be free

Orodaran

#30 Post by Orodaran » 17 Jul 2010 20:22

bestpike wrote:The reason is, Nime is one of their best albums in my opinion, but unlike other bands each album is considerably different, which means some don't like Nime very much or at all.
How about a democratic "fuck them"? :D

Furthermore, I haven't seen anyone here criticize NIME. I've seen a lot of disliking for ANATO or ATITM, which proves that even on a BG board there can be people that don't salivate over every note played by the band, but I don't remember ever reading anyone that NIME sucks....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Led Guardian

#31 Post by Led Guardian » 17 Jul 2010 22:33

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:So how about this?

1. War Of Wrath
2. Into The Storm
3. Lammoth
4. Nightfall
5. The Minstrel
6. The Curse Of Feanor
7. Captured
8. Blood Tears
9. Mirror Mirror
10. Face The Truth
14. The Dark Elf
15. Thorn
16. The Eldar
17. Nom The Wise
18. When Sorrow Sang
19. Out On The Water
20. The Steadfast
21. A Dark Passage

Encore
23. Harvest Of Sorrow

Encore II:

25. And The Story Ends

This setlist would take about 100 minutes and would be the most amazing thing ever.
I'd switch AtSE and ATTWS. The most epic should always be the finale in my opinion. :D
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#32 Post by Metal Fan » 17 Jul 2010 22:46

Led Guardian wrote:
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:So how about this?

1. War Of Wrath
2. Into The Storm
3. Lammoth
4. Nightfall
5. The Minstrel
6. The Curse Of Feanor
7. Captured
8. Blood Tears
9. Mirror Mirror
10. Face The Truth
14. The Dark Elf
15. Thorn
16. The Eldar
17. Nom The Wise
18. When Sorrow Sang
19. Out On The Water
20. The Steadfast
21. A Dark Passage

Encore
23. Harvest Of Sorrow

Encore II:

25. And The Story Ends

I'd switch AtSE and ATTWS. The most epic should always be the finale in my opinion. :D
Don't kill it. The setlist is fine like it is!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Hedge Wizard

#33 Post by Hedge Wizard » 18 Jul 2010 16:45

Being my favourite album of theirs, I'd love to see them perform SFB in its entirety, although NIME would be absolutely brilliant as well. While I mention SFB, have BG ever performed The Bard's Song - The Hobbit live? I love this song.

bestpike

#34 Post by bestpike » 18 Jul 2010 17:14

Hedge Wizard wrote:Being my favourite album of theirs, I'd love to see them perform SFB in its entirety, although NIME would be absolutely brilliant as well. While I mention SFB, have BG ever performed The Bard's Song - The Hobbit live? I love this song.
Yeah they did. Try to find my rare live bootleg dl link in this forum and you shall be rewarded generously :D. I would like The Hobbit, Ashes to Ashes, and Time What is Time to return to the setlists. They've been absent for way too long :(.
Forever to be free

Gandalf de Grijze

#35 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 18 Jul 2010 17:28

i've seen tbs-th live about 3 or 4 times back in 2003

bestpike

#36 Post by bestpike » 18 Jul 2010 17:37

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:i've seen tbs-th live about 3 or 4 times back in 2003
Yeah the Anato tour was the last one that had the Hobbit on its menu. 3-4 times? Wow you're more hardcore than I am!
Forever to be free

Dentarthurdent

#37 Post by Dentarthurdent » 18 Jul 2010 17:44

That could maybe be done at a festival, but I don't think I'd dig it that much. BG is a band that you can't bring down to one album and say that's the best one, it's simply not possible, so playing only one album plus two or three songs would be worse set than a normal mixed one. It simply wouldn't live up to BG.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

The Rider Of Rohan

#38 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Jul 2010 20:14

Hedge Wizard wrote:While I mention SFB, have BG ever performed The Bard's Song - The Hobbit live? I love this song.
They have, including on the second night in Coburg.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#39 Post by Metal Fan » 18 Jul 2010 23:42

The Bards Song-In The Forest maybe?
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

bestpike

#40 Post by bestpike » 19 Jul 2010 05:02

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Hedge Wizard wrote:While I mention SFB, have BG ever performed The Bard's Song - The Hobbit live? I love this song.
And it wasn't included on the DVD? Damn.
Forever to be free

The_Soulforged

#41 Post by The_Soulforged » 19 Jul 2010 10:02

bestpike wrote:
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
And it wasn't included on the DVD? Damn.
Yeah, the DVD isn't complete. A lot of songs are missing:

- Majesty
- The Soulforged
- Theatre of Pain
- Run for the Night
- Journey through the dark
- Harvest of Sorrow
- Under the Ice
- Time what is time
- Born in a mourning Hall
- The Bard's Song - The Hobbit
- Lost in the Twilight Hall

teo_guardian

#42 Post by teo_guardian » 19 Jul 2010 11:12

The Rider Of Rohan wrote: Wouldn't it be amazing if BG did the same thing with a classic album? *cough*nightfall*cough*
They are doing it with IFTOS many years now.
On the DVD only born in a mourning hall is missing.the whole album is there.

Hedge Wizard

#43 Post by Hedge Wizard » 23 Jul 2010 15:25

The_Soulforged wrote:
Yeah, the DVD isn't complete. A lot of songs are missing:

- Majesty
- The Soulforged
- Theatre of Pain
- Run for the Night
- Journey through the dark
- Harvest of Sorrow
- Under the Ice
- Time what is time
- Born in a mourning Hall
- The Bard's Song - The Hobbit
- Lost in the Twilight Hall
This is a joke... right? :? ... :( ... :cry:

The_Soulforged

#44 Post by The_Soulforged » 23 Jul 2010 16:47

This is a joke... right? ... ...
No, mate :( ...no joke

The Rider Of Rohan

#45 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 23 Jul 2010 17:28

The band played two nights, and the best recordings were combined, making the dvd seem like 1 big show.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Drex

#46 Post by Drex » 25 Jul 2010 17:59

Too bad they weren't included on disc 2 (or make a third disc if there wasn't enough room). I would have rather had some of those instead of so many IFTOS songs.