ATEOT : first impressions

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Lord Henry

ATEOT : first impressions

#1 Post by Lord Henry » 12 Jun 2010 17:50

Hi there,

I was provided with the new record for a review to come soon at http://www.leseternels.net. Before it's available, here is a little pre-review and a track-by-track after 4 or 5 listenings.

I'd say ATEOT is made of songs that could perfectly fit each latest BG album, yet back to SFB or TFTTW. It gives overall a special strength to the mix. Less experimentations than in ATITM, but more quality though.

Sacred Worlds : The extended version of "Sacred", entirely re-sung I guess, comes with impressive orchestral intro and outro, and stands for itself as a great mid-tempo intro to the album. Excellent additional vocal lines at the end. No need to tell more about it : everybody knows it. ANATO and ATITM feeling.

Tanelorn : At the opposite, pure power metal with barely no keys. Harsh rythm guitar, raspy voice, Big Bombastic chorus as in good old days. As a reference to "Quest For Tanelorn", this one could have featured on SFB instead.

Road Of No Release : An epic multi-tempo song that remids me of "Noldor" : i'd put it in NIME. There's a lot of different moods in this one song, from soft piano to - again - raw power metal. Too many melodic lines to count. One of the best choruses of the album, and one of my favorites. Proggy!

Ride Into Obsession : Cf. "Tanelorn". Even more choirs and again, an excellent chorus. Hansi innovates in alterning very low and high-pitched lines (pre-chorus). Go for IFTOS.

Curse My Name : the medieval song, that at first reminded me of "The Islander" by Nightwish : same opening riff, similar orchestrations. There's an impressive middle bridge with a lot of mixed choirs and percussions (Riverdance is here). A very positive and pleasant ballad. Could have been on NIME.

Valkyries : "The New Order" on ATITM was on this mood. But this one is more epic and complex. Likely a good job but it needs to grow in my ears.

Control The Divine : Dynamic and rich as most of ANATO songs. "New" BG style. A little disappointed by this one at first but again, it deserves more listenings.

War Of The Thrones : A ballad between "All The King's Horses" and "Harvest Of Sorrow". Again, a positive and happy feeling in it, especially in the choruses, whereas the verses are quite sad. It's the piano version on the album.

A Voice In The Dark : Great choice for a single I think. As with "Tanelorn", BG is back with pure speed metal as in FTB and TFTTW days. Great inspiration by Hansi : all vocals are genius.

Wheel Of Time : there would be much to say. Let's have it as ATEOF's "ATTWS", but with oriental mood and -at least !- a REAL orchestra. BG had great ambition with this one. The tension overall in this track reminds me of "The Script For My Requiem" as well as certain riffs and keys. A great one for sure. But "ATTWS" still lies ahead for me..

At this time I take no risk in saying that ATEOT is better than ATITM. I feel like I got my own BG again, like most of old fans will probably do. It is far richer and less easy.

A more detailled review will soon be available at http://www.leseternels.net/. All in french, sorry...

Cheers,

yamasidious

Re: ATEOT : first impressions

#2 Post by yamasidious » 12 Jun 2010 18:02

Thank you for posting this! Just makes my waiting all the harder, but now I have a feeling that it will be worth the wait.

Led Guardian

#3 Post by Led Guardian » 12 Jun 2010 18:29

Mmm, I like the sound of it.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Arwen Arianna

#4 Post by Arwen Arianna » 12 Jun 2010 18:30

Very promising.. even the parts you didn't like :lol:
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

Desert_Storm

#5 Post by Desert_Storm » 12 Jun 2010 19:07

Thank you very much indeed!
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#6 Post by Metal Fan » 12 Jun 2010 20:30

Wow, thank you!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 12 Jun 2010 22:55

Goddammit now I want this album even more :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Mackasfour

#8 Post by Mackasfour » 13 Jun 2010 04:19

GOD DAMN TEASE >_<
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#9 Post by Metal Fan » 13 Jun 2010 04:20

Mackasfour wrote:GOD DAMN TEASE >_<

I know. But it's still great! :D
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Gandalf de Grijze

#10 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 13 Jun 2010 09:16

wheeeeeeeee
Lord Henry wrote:Great inspiration by Hansi : all vocals are genius.
nothing new there ;)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Hedge Wizard

#11 Post by Hedge Wizard » 14 Jun 2010 02:05

Sounds very promising!

arenamaster

#12 Post by arenamaster » 14 Jun 2010 03:40

LEAK THE ALBUM PLEASE COME ONASGLHASGK;HASKLG
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
But as long as I breathe,
Each smile in my bleak face,
I'm on my way to find
Back to the peace of mind!

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#13 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 14 Jun 2010 17:58

yeah,cmon,leak it already
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Andreas

#14 Post by Andreas » 14 Jun 2010 18:02

Orodaran wrote:Hansidammit now I want this album even more :P
Mackasfour wrote:HANSI DAMN TEASE >_<
Fixed it for you guys :P

BRi7X

#15 Post by BRi7X » 14 Jun 2010 19:25

It's times like these that I wish cryogenic vitrification was a stable, affordable technology...

I don't wanna end up 500 years in the future like Cartman waiting for the Wii... but maybe if I do there'll be several more Blind Guardian albums to listen to.
-Byronius Zedricks Septdicius Ativos, of Aldania, the blessed realm.

Facebook ; Last.fm

Hedge Wizard

#16 Post by Hedge Wizard » 14 Jun 2010 21:59

BRi7X wrote:It's times like these that I wish cryogenic vitrification was a stable, affordable technology...

I don't wanna end up 500 years in the future like Cartman waiting for the Wii... but maybe if I do there'll be several more Blind Guardian albums to listen to.
Now you're thinking!

Mahoora

#18 Post by Mahoora » 08 Jul 2010 20:12

Niiiiceeee 8)
All those plans and hopes and dreams what happens to them? it's only a handfull of the lucky ones who can look back and say that they even came close.
You can't take it with you. act III,scene I

Evil Peter

#19 Post by Evil Peter » 09 Jul 2010 01:19

Thanks for the review, it's always fun to have little bits like this to keep the excitement up while waiting for the album.

I have to say I was a bit surprised that you felt that Road of No Release would fit into NIME though. Judging from the sample I think the groovy, proggy bits was the easiest to place out of the songs that wasn't directly old school, and I felt it belonged to ANATO. It will be fun to hear the entire song and see if I'm way off or if we just felt it a bit differently. :)
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Lord Henry

#20 Post by Lord Henry » 14 Jul 2010 11:05

This was my first thought when hearing the song, mainly due to that piano sound. Fun fact, the song ends with exactly the same three piano notes as in the end of "Noldor". Actually there is not much in RONR to be related to NIME more than to ANATO, this was only an attempt to describe a certain feeling.

Now guys after a month spent hearing the songs over and over, I can say this new record is worth the 4 year wait. And it grows with listenings much more than ATITM. I guess only BG today has this amazing ability to write songs that just get better and better with time, just like french wine. Magical.

The highlights of the album for me still are "Road of No Release" and "A Voice in the Dark", in two very different registers. Don't get me wrong, "Wheel of Time" is amazing but kinda misses its ambition when compared to ATTWS. I guess it should have lasted 5 or 6 minutes more :P. "Sacred Worlds" actually rocks as well, it should become the new opener for every gig instead of "War of Wrath"/"Into The Storm". "Valkyries" would be at lower level. Well, there always has to be one.

Evil Peter

#21 Post by Evil Peter » 14 Jul 2010 23:08

I agree that Blind Guardian's music tends to get better with time so they fit perfectly into what I tend to say all the time; if something is great the first time you listen to it you've probably heard something like it before and it won't last forever. When something requires you to explore it in order to really understand it, then it will probably be something that sticks with you all your life.

Grilo do Demo

#22 Post by Grilo do Demo » 15 Jul 2010 17:44

Haha, at last I can talk about the album with someone! Let's see let's see.

I agree that here they used elements from several albums. I'd say this is the first time a Blind Guardian album is not something compact, but rather eclectic, and it's more likely that the listener will like some songs much more than others, which is more difficult to happen in previous albums. However, it's better than Twist, but I believe that album is really easy to surpass.

I will base my comments on yours, but of course it doesn't mean I'm contradicting you, just saying my opinion.
Sacred Worlds : The extended version of "Sacred", entirely re-sung I guess, comes with impressive orchestral intro and outro, and stands for itself as a great mid-tempo intro to the album. Excellent additional vocal lines at the end. No need to tell more about it : everybody knows it. ANATO and ATITM feeling.
Doesn't sound so much Twist to me... a little Opera maybe. Agree in the rest. The game version was great, this is awesome.
Tanelorn : At the opposite, pure power metal with barely no keys. Harsh rythm guitar, raspy voice, Big Bombastic chorus as in good old days. As a reference to "Quest For Tanelorn", this one could have featured on SFB instead.
I definitely can't imagine this song in Somewhere far beyond :roll:
Road Of No Release : An epic multi-tempo song that remids me of "Noldor" : i'd put it in NIME. There's a lot of different moods in this one song, from soft piano to - again - raw power metal. Too many melodic lines to count. One of the best choruses of the album, and one of my favorites. Proggy!
Yes!, I hadn't thought of that, but you're right, it resembles "Noldor" a bit. Not one of my favourites but a really good one.
Ride Into Obsession : Cf. "Tanelorn". Even more choirs and again, an excellent chorus. Hansi innovates in alterning very low and high-pitched lines (pre-chorus). Go for IFTOS.
Well, really I can't imagine any song of At the edge of time in any album previous to Nightfall. For me, the only element they took "back" from that period, so to say, is the speed, but the rest sounds differently.
In this particular track, hansi tried to force his voice... he can't reach the tones he aims to, this is very obvious in the chorus and right before. But for the rest it's good, in a way similar to "A voice in the dark".
Curse My Name : the medieval song, that at first reminded me of "The Islander" by Nightwish : same opening riff, similar orchestrations. There's an impressive middle bridge with a lot of mixed choirs and percussions (Riverdance is here). A very positive and pleasant ballad. Could have been on NIME.
I LOVE this one! Wonderful middle bridge, as you say. Beautiful. And with kind of an Irish sound overall.
Valkyries : "The New Order" on ATITM was on this mood. But this one is more epic and complex. Likely a good job but it needs to grow in my ears.
The chorus made me think of "Carry the blessed home". Could be on Twist. Don't like it so much.
Control The Divine : Dynamic and rich as most of ANATO songs. "New" BG style. A little disappointed by this one at first but again, it deserves more listenings.
Two first sentences agreed, but I don't dislike this one.
War Of The Thrones : A ballad between "All The King's Horses" and "Harvest Of Sorrow". Again, a positive and happy feeling in it, especially in the choruses, whereas the verses are quite sad. It's the piano version on the album.
I prefer this version over the acoustic guitar one, for sure. Still, it won't be among my favourites.
A Voice In The Dark : Great choice for a single I think. As with "Tanelorn", BG is back with pure speed metal as in FTB and TFTTW days. Great inspiration by Hansi : all vocals are genius.
See comment in "Ride into obsession" :mrgreen:
Wheel Of Time : there would be much to say. Let's have it as ATEOF's "ATTWS", but with oriental mood and -at least !- a REAL orchestra. BG had great ambition with this one. The tension overall in this track reminds me of "The Script For My Requiem" as well as certain riffs and keys. A great one for sure. But "ATTWS" still lies ahead for me..
OMG WTF GR8 !!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Absolutely love it. Incredibly complex and well done. Not so comparable to "Silence" in my opinion.
At this time I take no risk in saying that ATEOT is better than ATITM. I feel like I got my own BG again, like most of old fans will probably do. It is far richer and less easy.
+1

After Twist I was a bit afraid of what I could hear, "Sacred" made me feel a bit optimist but still I had my doubts. No I am so happy :mrgreen: BLIND GUARDIAN IS BACKKKKKKKKK

So, my "tueries" as you say would be:

1)Sacred Worlds
2)Tanelorn (Into the Void)
3)Road of No Release
4)Ride into Obsession
5)Curse My Name
6)Valkyries
7)Control the Divine
8 )War of the Thrones (Piano)
9)A Voice in the Dark
10)Wheel of Time

Oh yeah I like orchestral stuff. :roll:

Just a question: "Agrémenté d’une introduction et d’une conclusion très BO..." what is BO?

Pilgrim

#23 Post by Pilgrim » 15 Jul 2010 21:24

Thank you for the review!
After reading your impressions, I feel I'll really enjoy the album.

Evil Peter

#24 Post by Evil Peter » 15 Jul 2010 21:34

Grilo do Demo wrote: In this particular track, hansi tried to force his voice... he can't reach the tones he aims to, this is very obvious in the chorus and right before. But for the rest it's good, in a way similar to "A voice in the dark".
The bolded part sounds extremely odd given how picky BG are with their works and it feels like if that's the case they would have written the song differently. It will be interesting to hear whether I agree or not.

As for songs fitting into albums earlier than NIME I definitely think A Voice in the Dark is much more similar to the early works than anything in the later era. It's not a carbon copy of what they did back then as that would be boring and BG tries not to repeat themselves but it's definitely something with the roots in the early era.

Lord Henry

#25 Post by Lord Henry » 16 Jul 2010 10:09

@Grilo : "BO" stands for "Bande Originale" de film : Original Soundtrack of a movie.

You're right, the exercise of relating each song to a previous album was quite vain. Espacially to pre-IFTOS albums since their production improved a lot. My final review tries to give more general statements.

Thx for feedback anyway :wink:

arenamaster

#26 Post by arenamaster » 16 Jul 2010 22:12

Well, really I can't imagine any song of At the edge of time in any album previous to Nightfall. For me, the only element they took "back" from that period, so to say, is the speed, but the rest sounds differently.
In this particular track, hansi tried to force his voice... he can't reach the tones he aims to, this is very obvious in the chorus and right before. But for the rest it's good, in a way similar to "A voice in the dark".

How the hell do you know? How is it obvious? That's such a bold statement it's actually a little insane.

Oh, I didn't realize, this guy knows exactly what Hansi wants.
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
But as long as I breathe,
Each smile in my bleak face,
I'm on my way to find
Back to the peace of mind!

Grilo do Demo

#27 Post by Grilo do Demo » 18 Jul 2010 21:11

arenamaster wrote:
How the hell do you know? How is it obvious? That's such a bold statement it's actually a little insane.

Hahaha calm down man, stress isn't good :wink:

Of course I don't know what Hansi wants exactly, but it's obvious taht his voice is not what it used to be any more; that's normal, he isn't 20 any more, and he still has a very powerful throat, but he now has some difficulties to reach the higher pitched tones. Listen to a studio song from the early 90's, then listen to the same song live from a recent concert and you'll hear the difference perfectly. Finally, it's very easy to recognize when somebody, be Hansi or any other singer in the world, is forcing their voice, there's no need to be an expert to recognize that.

I want to make clear that I'm not crtizising Hansi in any way, he has one of my favourite voices in all kinds of music (together with Freddie Mercury and Masha Scream, and few more really) and he still can sing very very well. Just see the a capella reecording in the fifth studio teaser, that's impressive But there are some tones a 44-year-old cannot reach; maybe one or two more gifted singers, but that's not the usual case at all.

Anyway. That's only a few lines in one song. You won't hear me saying thet this album is worse because of that.

sharpened_graphite

#28 Post by sharpened_graphite » 18 Jul 2010 21:22

Grilo do Demo wrote:
arenamaster wrote:

Hahaha calm down man, stress isn't good :wink:

Of course I don't know what Hansi wants exactly, but it's obvious taht his voice is not what it used to be any more; that's normal, he isn't 20 any more, and he still has a very powerful throat, but he now has some difficulties to reach the higher pitched tones. Listen to a studio song from the early 90's, then listen to the same song live from a recent concert and you'll hear the difference perfectly. Finally, it's very easy to recognize when somebody, be Hansi or any other singer in the world, is forcing their voice, there's no need to be an expert to recognize that.

I want to make clear that I'm not crtizising Hansi in any way, he has one of my favourite voices in all kinds of music (together with Freddie Mercury and Masha Scream, and few more really) and he still can sing very very well. Just see the a capella reecording in the fifth studio teaser, that's impressive But there are some tones a 44-year-old cannot reach; maybe one or two more gifted singers, but that's not the usual case at all.

Anyway. That's only a few lines in one song. You won't hear me saying thet this album is worse because of that.
Actually, in ANATO Hansi reached notes that he was clearly unable to reach in the beginning of nineties (his highest, in fact), and there are a few on ATiTM as well, listen to "This Will Never End" and "The Edge".

P.S. He reached high notes live as rarely back in the ninties as now, deliberately so as not to fatigue his voice. Practically all singers sing high parts in a lower pitch live than in studio, for the same reason.

Grilo do Demo

#29 Post by Grilo do Demo » 18 Jul 2010 21:45

Yes there are some high-pitched lines, but do not sound as 'harsh' as in early albums. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalive my friend !!! It doesn't sound so powerful now... can you imagine him singing a whole song like that one?

It's just a question of adaptation. In the old albums he was screaming all the time, now they do stuff of other kind, they match Hansi's possibilities (I'm evidently not saying that the only reason for musical evolution is this) and it's still good.

I would even say that they rely a bit on choirs to make the whole thing sound better. And it works, indeed. Now we could ask: what is better, a lot of choirs to rely on, or much simpler choirs, or none at all, just one voice? Choirs obviously give a different dimension to the song as a whole, so someone who likes choral and complex stuff won't miss high-pitched vocals, and someone who prefers plain speed metal won't care that much about a higher tone but rather about all the 'decoration'.

What I'm trying to say is that Blind Guardian's music has changed more or less accordingly to their singer's voice. If it was deliberately for that reason or not, I don't know and I don't care. But things are like they are, and right now I can't imagine Hansi singing a song like "I'm alive", screaming all the time, like he did back then. And this isn't at all a bad thing; if they had stayed in "I'm alive"-kind of stuff they would never have written "Wheel of time" or "And then there was silence". And that would be a great loss.

----------

My time now to edit :mrgreen:
P.S. He reached high notes live as rarely back in the ninties as now, deliberately so as not to fatigue his voice. Practically all singers sing high parts in a lower pitch live than in studio, for the same reason.
Hmmm yeah you're right. Still, in old concerts (I think all I know from early years is Tokyo tales) he screamed more than now.

Gandalf de Grijze

#30 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 18 Jul 2010 22:45

i prefer his high singing over those high screams.. never was a fan of the harshness
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

bestpike

#31 Post by bestpike » 18 Jul 2010 23:39

Actually Hansi's voice range has been increasing all the time, not decreasing. Nowhere in albums before Anato he could reach such high-pitch screams as he sounds like in Live, DVD and later. Compare the studio version of Born in a Mourning Hall at 1:50 with Live's version at 2:01. The improvement is clear. Now if you prefer the studio version, that's fine too. ( a better example would be Mordred's Song studio version at 1:10 vs DVD version 1:14. Night and day.). I have to say it probably is tiring to reach such high-pitch, and that must be why he avoids it generally in lives, but the god can deliver when he wants to :wink: !
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Led Guardian

#32 Post by Led Guardian » 19 Jul 2010 04:18

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:i prefer his high singing over those high screams.. never was a fan of the harshness
+1
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Grilo do Demo

#33 Post by Grilo do Demo » 29 Jul 2010 22:54

Lord Henry, after listening more carefully to some songs, I have to agree with you. Some parts of "Ride into obsession" resemble a lot to the Imaginations album, as well as the beginning of "Control the divine". I didn't see it at first, now I do.

This album improves after many listens, the more the better. :shock:

Verruckter

#34 Post by Verruckter » 30 Jul 2010 05:43

Curse my name is the new Past and Future secret y/n?

Feanor l'invincible

#35 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 30 Jul 2010 06:18

I'm starting to like "Control The Divine" specially the chorus , the riff at 2'10 is awesome.. the acoustic part before chorus reminds me of the one in I'm alive , before vocals came on ! :D

"Valkyries" is really the problem of this album :(
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

fonzbear2000

#36 Post by fonzbear2000 » 30 Jul 2010 06:32

SUPER AMAZING album from beginning to end! 11/10
Come on over to the BEST, FREE Iron Maiden forum!: http://forum.maidenfans.com/

Verruckter

#37 Post by Verruckter » 30 Jul 2010 06:53

Feanor l'invincible wrote:I'm starting to like "Control The Divine" specially the chorus , the riff at 2'10 is awesome.. the acoustic part before chorus reminds me of the one in I'm alive , before vocals came on ! :D

"Valkyries" is really the problem of this album :(
I don't know what everyone has with Valkyries.. I really like that song. I think it has a lot of great riffs and the chorus is interesting. You just gotta learn to appreciate it man

sidbarnhoorn

#38 Post by sidbarnhoorn » 30 Jul 2010 14:48

I love the whole album. No question. Fabulous opening with Sacred Worlds. Love the orchestration and overall mix/production with the rest. Fantastic end masterpiece with Wheel of Time, again great compositionally and performancewise by the orchestra. Great composition. I can't wait to hear the orchestral project.

I have totally no problem with "Valkyries". I love it!

Cheers,

Dentarthurdent

#39 Post by Dentarthurdent » 30 Jul 2010 15:01

An amwone ut ma mou eese?
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Evil Peter

#40 Post by Evil Peter » 30 Jul 2010 16:38

Verruckter wrote:I don't know what everyone has with Valkyries.. I really like that song. I think it has a lot of great riffs and the chorus is interesting. You just gotta learn to appreciate it man
I can only agree with you. Blind Guardian songs are generally complex enough to require you to listen to them several times to really get into everything and it usually goes that way with some of their sounds as well. I wasn't a big fan of Valkyries the first time I heard it but now I think the song, just as the entire album, is great. If this lasts it will be an album that goes up with what I think are their three best out of the previous albums.

Sentinel

#41 Post by Sentinel » 30 Jul 2010 16:48

Okay, it's way too early to form a proper opinion about the new album, I'm just listening to it for 2nd time, and I'm definately not the person who likes to exaggerate things...

... but HOLY SHIT!!! :shock: :shock:

I knew, this album would be the epitome of awesomness...but that it will turn out THAT great....

I'm in awe...
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

Dentarthurdent

#42 Post by Dentarthurdent » 30 Jul 2010 17:17

Evil Peter wrote:
Verruckter wrote:I don't know what everyone has with Valkyries.. I really like that song. I think it has a lot of great riffs and the chorus is interesting. You just gotta learn to appreciate it man
I can only agree with you. Blind Guardian songs are generally complex enough to require you to listen to them several times to really get into everything and it usually goes that way with some of their sounds as well. I wasn't a big fan of Valkyries the first time I heard it but now I think the song, just as the entire album, is great. If this lasts it will be an album that goes up with what I think are their three best out of the previous albums.
There is some interesting stuff there, in the melodies and the guitars, but I still don#t lke the song. Especially because those rather lame Pagan metal lyrics...
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

The Rider Of Rohan

#43 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 30 Jul 2010 17:22

I think Valkyries is really come. It's the best mixture of BG and Manowar I have heard so far (not to mention the first one).
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Avelar

#44 Post by Avelar » 30 Jul 2010 18:30

The intro to Sacred Worlds is absolutely crushing and mindblowing! I couldn't imagine a better beginning of an epic power metal album.

No weak moments on ATEOT for me! Favorite tracks: Sacred Worlds, Tanelorn (Into The Void), Ride Into Obsession, Curse My Name, A Voice In The Dark. Didn't get into Wheel Of Time yet, although some parts are grandiose indeed. The best moment: middle section of Curse My Name with flute. That's my first impressions. Everything can change with time.

Congratulations to the band, all forum members and all BG fans in the world! :D
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

sharpened_graphite

#45 Post by sharpened_graphite » 30 Jul 2010 19:50

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:I think Valkyries is really come. It's the best mixture of BG and Manowar I have heard so far (not to mention the first one).
And here I wondered whether I was the only one to make that connexion. :D