you prefer old or new Blind Guardian?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.

Old BG or New BG?

old(BOF,FTB,TFTTW,SFB,IFTOS)
22%
new(NIME,ANATO,ATITM,)
32%
i like all their albums the same way
46%

Total votes: 110

Thorin Eichenschild

Re: you prefer old or new Blind Guardian?

#51 Post by Thorin Eichenschild » 28 Jan 2010 14:54

Hexon wrote:Everything on ANATO is amazing. But I don't consider liking it all as 'sitting on the fence.' They remake their sound with every album, its something that a lot of bands don't achieve and its a mark of a musician.
+1 :)

wade-newb

#52 Post by wade-newb » 07 Feb 2010 21:05

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:I would propose a slightly different tiering of the albums.

Ancient Guardian: Batallions, Follow
Classic Guardian: TFTTW, SFB, IFTOS, NIME
Nu-Guardian: ANATO, ATITM
When you say "Nu" Guardian...It makes it sound really bad :(
Not to say that's what you mean, it's just how it sounds to me.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Dragon Guardian

#53 Post by Dragon Guardian » 27 Sep 2011 19:48

I'm reviving this thread.
The reason it seems that lots of people prefer there old stuff is because there are many who like straightforward stuff rather than progressive type music or that simply dislike multilayered vocals.

Its therefore also logical that most people on this board will prefer there newer stuff as its what defines Blind Guardian's unique sound. The first 2 albums while good in there own way, could easily have been done by any speed metal band at the time. Its only with TFTTW that BG started to really develop their sound.

Also, I would classify IFTOS under new BG, although I see why you put it in the old category as it was their last album where speed was the driving force behind the music.

Gasha

#54 Post by Gasha » 28 Sep 2011 02:32

Beren Ercharmion wrote:I'm a fan of their "middle" albums mostly - Tales, Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations and Nightfall, so I can't really vote.
This. SfB, Imaginations and Nightfall has that enthusiastic feeling of a young band still trying their wings, while still being awesomely well written and produced (as opposed to Follow the Blind and Battallions of Fear). The newer records are great too, but they feel more centered around one or two interesting songs (Wheel of Time or And Then There Was Silence) then the old ones did.

t.a.j.

#55 Post by t.a.j. » 28 Sep 2011 12:50

I do think that ANATO was a turn for the worse and ATITM is just a mostly boring album, with a few highlights (Fly comes to mind), ATEOT is pretty good, though.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Frozen within

#56 Post by Frozen within » 29 Sep 2011 15:47

NIME is still their best work, ANATO is awesome and I really dig ATITM, but I haven't yet checked out the latest album for there were othere releases that drew my attention. But anyway it's safe to say that I like BG for its newer albums. For me they only became marginally interesting after SFB, since I'm really not at all that much into power or speedmetal.
Eat more vegetables !

Avelar

#57 Post by Avelar » 29 Sep 2011 22:29

Frozen within wrote:I haven't yet checked out the latest album
:shock: sorry, i don't believe you :twisted:
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

bilbox

#58 Post by bilbox » 30 Sep 2011 16:24

for my money Tales, Somewhere, Imaginations, and Nightfall are there best stuff, with the latter two being easily their best albums. I do think AtEoT is right there with most of this stuff though. I realize Opera has a big fan base, but for me it's just a different (but still good) experience. For that matter, the first two album are different as well, as in they're more or less straight up thrash metal. Out of those two I think BoF is the much better album; the insert on the vinyl is even an old black and white cut and paste collage which just screams 80's thrash. Anyway, the only album I dislike is Twist in the Myth. It just kinda sucks. I was really worried about BG after that album, that is until the new one came out and alleviated my fears.

Slapshot

#59 Post by Slapshot » 02 Oct 2011 01:58

I still consider myself new to BG since only first hearing them in 09. First song I heard was Sacred Worlds, second being Otherland. So maybe I'm a bit biased in my opinion of liking the newer albums more... but don't get me wrong all of them are classic. I simply love this band.. wow now I feel bad for picking one era over another!

jouzinka

#60 Post by jouzinka » 04 Oct 2011 18:37

Yeah, well, I'm all new into BG too, having first found them last fall. I listened to all of the studio albums and Forgotten Tales chronologically.

I do have a song or two from the first three albums on my mp3, but the first album I generally liked in terms I could see myself randomly picking and playing it was Imagination from the Other Side. Then I got stuck on Nightfall in Middle-Earth for like half a year of daily listen, then I listened to the rest. :lol:

Now, going back and forth to some of the older albums from time to time, I find I like more and more, different songs, some come and go... I suppose this is still due to the fact I'm so new to metal as a genre itself, I do make use of the "It's too metal for me" phrase (resulting in a lot of teasing from my bro) sometimes and am still developing some sort of personal taste and "me" feeling.

But yeah, I suppose I'm a classic-to-nu-BG fan. The early speed stuff doesn't do much to me, even though it might have been revolutionary at the time it came by. :oops:
If the Gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers.

T3hOverlord

#61 Post by T3hOverlord » 04 Oct 2011 23:30

Avelar wrote:
+1

Andreas

#62 Post by Andreas » 06 Oct 2011 22:28

Even though I enjoy listening to the first two albums, they get nowhere near the rest of the bunch. I overplayed (and still do) the rest of the albums, while I only listen occasionally to BOF and FTB.

mordred

#63 Post by mordred » 27 Oct 2011 20:14

Blind Guardian is the best power metal band in the world, and all the songs are brilliant, Blind Guardian is GREAT!!!

Frozen within

#64 Post by Frozen within » 28 Oct 2011 12:16

T3hOverlord wrote:
Avelar wrote:
+1
To the one who holds the truth, what other people believe in means no value :wink:

Though I did hear a few shreds of a couple 'new' (to me anyway) songs here and there, I really haven't been in a position to dedicate myself to a complete playthrough. Which isn't that strange, knowing that I don't have the album in my possession. What I did hear though sounded quite interesting and worth listening to.

The magic that I felt the first couple of years after discovering them has vanished completely, but somehow they have remained in the top of my head anyway. When I do put on some BG, it's NIME 9 out of 10 times. Beside that album, IFTOS, ANATO and ATITM get one or two spins a year or so.
Eat more vegetables !

T3hOverlord

#65 Post by T3hOverlord » 28 Oct 2011 22:01

i would actually change my answer to new blind guardian, for me it has just so much more replay value

brazilian_bard

#66 Post by brazilian_bard » 29 Oct 2011 18:56

They are my favourite band at all, still they are people...once people are ever changing, it is normal their sound change too... evolution.

I think Fred has a style not so agressive like Thomas, but I don't know if HE started it or if the band told him to play like this.

Drahcir

#67 Post by Drahcir » 29 Jun 2012 05:16

New Blind Guardian! :D

Finally, a band whose sound whose newer albums I prefer over the older albums. :mrgreen:

ent

#68 Post by ent » 29 Jun 2012 12:51

I love the old guardian. From the album BOF to ANATO. The last two were good, but somehow we are not completely liked, but there are really great songs. As I said in some posts on this forum, we produced a little lost in the atmosphere and sound recognition.
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

MythsOfMetal

#69 Post by MythsOfMetal » 23 Aug 2012 20:42

I generally like the group of albums 3 through to 5 the most. I like albums 6 through to 9 second most, but if it wasn't for album 9 then this group would be my least favourite. I like albums 1 and 2 as a group the least. I chose, that I like all albums, because I don't hate any and I at the very least like all of them. Though I tend to like albums 3 to 5 the most.

T3hOverlord

#70 Post by T3hOverlord » 31 Aug 2012 03:26

I always grouped them in 2's based on similar sound.
BoF and FtB were always group 1 (the worst)
Tales and Somewhere were group 2 (best)
imaginations and nightfall were group 3 (third)
night at the opera and twist were group 4 (second place)
at the edge of time and the upcoming album are part of group 5, as i suspect the upcoming album will sound similar to edge of time

Lorn_Songster

#71 Post by Lorn_Songster » 04 Sep 2012 19:26

NIME should be in the first category

Jazzy

#72 Post by Jazzy » 17 Sep 2012 20:45

“Tales from the Twilight World” is probably my all time favorite. And I would have to say I am a “first period” guy, but BG is BG. All of their stuff is exceptional and the beauty is that all albums are different. Great art creators all the way. (and i am Greek)

Jon The Wise

#73 Post by Jon The Wise » 27 Sep 2012 22:53

Definitely favor Battalions and Tales the most, I agree Nightfall should have been in the first category. Which is what I voted for, although like everybody else I think its all amazing.

Lorn_Songster

#74 Post by Lorn_Songster » 25 Jun 2013 11:12

Tales From the Twilight World kicks every album's ass from ANATO to whatever they'd done to now (not even namin the next 3 masterworks, no need to). Technically maybe is on a different level, but you wont hear better music, although you dont like those AWESOME SPEED METAL DRUMS (come on!), Hail Thomen from here. And the choirs sounded better and fresher than in any of those remixes.

Angus

#75 Post by Angus » 26 Jun 2013 22:17

The Rider Of Rohan wrote: Ancient Guardian: BOF, FTB, TFTTW
Classic Guardian: SFB, IFTOS, NIME, ANATO
New Guardian: ATITM, ATEOT
IMO TFTTW is closer to FTB than SFB and ANATO is closer to NIME than ATITM both composition and production wise. And no one should ever spell "new" as "nu".

I am aware that I am replying to a 2 1/2 year post as well.

Little Dragon

#76 Post by Little Dragon » 27 Jun 2013 01:16

Frozen within wrote:When I do put on some BG, it's NIME 9 out of 10 times. Beside that album, IFTOS, ANATO and ATITM get one or two spins a year or so.
I just stumpled across this (and i will surely forget about it soon) but we really have the same taste in music! It's always NIME I listen to. At least the most. And sometimes IFTOS and ATITM. But what the hell are you doing with ANATO in there? :lol:
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

weensflyfree

#77 Post by weensflyfree » 16 Aug 2013 23:04

I like all, but especially for "A Night at the Opera" and "A Twist in the Myth" album were little difficult for my ears :D

No Idol

#78 Post by No Idol » 23 Oct 2013 21:38

Mostly i liszten to the newer Albums, but i don't just like the old ones too, my alltime favourite song is Run for the Night, so - ALL!!!!!
Hahaha!!!! You all shall die!!!!

In about fourty to eighty years.

MythsOfMetal

#79 Post by MythsOfMetal » 08 Mar 2014 12:58

Here's my current opinion on their albums.

Battalions of Fear - 7/10 - a good album
Follow the Blind - 6.75/10 - a good album
Tales from the Twilight World - 7.75/10 - a very good album
Somewhere Far Beyond - 8.25/10 - a very good album
Imaginations from the Other Side - 8.5/10 - a very good album
Nightfall in Middle-earth - 9.25/10 - a great album
A Night at the Opera - 7.75/10 - a very good album
A Twist in the Myth - 6/10 - a decent/good album
At the Edge of Time - 8/10 - a very good album

Rokubota

#80 Post by Rokubota » 16 Mar 2014 11:59

I like all the Blind Guardian eras but they had lost IMO a little bit of that aggressive feeling in their music in favour or a more bombastic approach that is quite boring sometimes. I like Hansi style of singing in Imaginations and D&W the most.

They used to have the perfect balance between heavy music and great melodies. The music kicked your ass and at the same time it had great hooks and memorable melodies.

punkjay

#81 Post by punkjay » 30 Mar 2014 17:41

power_dysfunction wrote:I love everything they've ever written, but I consider the first three albums only very good, while the ones to follow comprise some of the most brilliant music ever written.
Please tell me what methods you used to scan my brainwaves.
Kullervo, lv.99 Para Summoner.