This is the first time I've listened to IFTOS in three years

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
arenamaster

This is the first time I've listened to IFTOS in three years

#1 Post by arenamaster » 06 Jun 2009 07:13

HOLY FUCKKKK :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I forgot how awesome this was, good LORD. I overlistened IFTOS when I first got it, I think. I always shunned it for albums like ANATO or NiME, but oh my. I love how heavy it is. Hansi's rough vocals. The amazing guitars, and oh the choruses!

wow.
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
But as long as I breathe,
Each smile in my bleak face,
I'm on my way to find
Back to the peace of mind!

Orodaran

#2 Post by Orodaran » 06 Jun 2009 12:54

Easily Blind Guardian's masterpiece and the peak of what they started to do with Tales from the Twilight Hall 8) not that NIME isn't any less of a masterpiece, mind you :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

majesty

#3 Post by majesty » 06 Jun 2009 18:51

on IFTOS are many awesome songs (but every stuff of BG is awesome :D) like born in a mourning hall, which is one of the heaviest songs they ever did I guess.
Mordred´s Song, A Past And Future Secret and And The Story Ends are my favourites 8)
The Lights are up,
Now let the play begin!

*Why save the world when you can rule it? And why touch the ground when you can fly away to dreams...?*

arenamaster

#4 Post by arenamaster » 06 Jun 2009 20:17

Orodaran wrote:Easily Blind Guardian's masterpiece and the peak of what they started to do with Tales from the Twilight Hall 8) not that NIME isn't any less of a masterpiece, mind you :P
but IFTOS is better.
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
I'm on my way to find

Orodaran

#5 Post by Orodaran » 06 Jun 2009 22:31

majesty wrote:on IFTOS are many awesome songs (but every stuff of BG is awesome :D) like born in a mourning hall, which is one of the heaviest songs they ever did I guess.
The irony, I consider BiaMH the "less great" song of the album.... (there's no sense using the word "worse" with IFtoS :P )

Anyway, I hope the band doesn't see this thread, they may feel justified and encouraged in continuing to play 75% of this album live, and always omitting Another Holy War anyway....
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Led Guardian

#6 Post by Led Guardian » 07 Jun 2009 02:33

Off topic, but I like how Dream Theater does their set lists. Mike Portnoy keeps all the set lists they've done, and ensures that they don't have the same one twice. He switches things up so they don't have similar ones around the same areas while on tour, or repeat one at the same venue. Blind Guardian should really try this kind of approach.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

arenamaster

#7 Post by arenamaster » 07 Jun 2009 08:45

I agree, DT does their setlists great. I love IFTOS, obviously, but they could play a bit more of the other songs (but keep And the Story Ends please!)

my least good song of the album I consider is Bright Eyes...
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
I'm on my way to find

Orodaran

#8 Post by Orodaran » 07 Jun 2009 10:10

arenamaster wrote:I agree, DT does their setlists great. I love IFTOS, obviously, but they could play a bit more of the other songs (but keep And the Story Ends please!)
"Keep"? PUT And the Story Ends!!! that and Another Holy War are the most neglected songs off the album, the other 7 show up more often in the setlist....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Gandalf de Grijze

#9 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 07 Jun 2009 10:19

while Bright Eyes is quite possibly one of my top 5 BG songs, i agree with Oro that BiaMH is definately the least interesting from Iftos..
though in my opinion Iftos is an absolute masterpiece.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Led Guardian

#10 Post by Led Guardian » 07 Jun 2009 16:18

Why have they not played the entirety of NiME live? Or have they? A band should always play their concept albums through at least once live. And record it of course. :D
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Orodaran

#11 Post by Orodaran » 07 Jun 2009 19:28

Ah, you wish.... they never played NIME in full live, and since 2002 they always play only the same 4 songs: Into the Storm (always the opener), Nightfall (very often the third song in the set, followed by The Script for My Requiem), Time Stands Still and Mirror Mirror (always the closer)....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

rdyfrde

#12 Post by rdyfrde » 07 Jun 2009 19:39

Orodaran wrote:The irony, I consider BiaMH the "less great" song of the album.... (there's no sense using the word "worse" with IFtoS :P )
Ironically I find "I'm Alive" the weakest song of the album. Though I still play it, it's just not one that I like to play over and over like the rest of the album :)
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Orodaran

#13 Post by Orodaran » 07 Jun 2009 19:49

Well, I was never the song-skipper type, I always listen to entire albums anyway.... but then again, it's years that I don't listen to Imaginations anyway :P BG for me fall in the category of "bands that I know since so much time that I only listen to the new albums when they come out and enjoy the live shows" :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

corrupted old gnom

#14 Post by corrupted old gnom » 07 Jun 2009 20:26

perfect album - but if i have to name my "least liked" song from it...it would be "and the story ends"
BiaMH is fantastic, but doesn't have to be played live too often, imo
yet, they can play the whole IFTOS album and i wouldn't mind 8)
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

majesty

#15 Post by majesty » 08 Jun 2009 16:49

Knightrider of Doom wrote:why did they never play A Dark Passage live?
would be great to hear that song live, I love it so much 8)
but they should change their setlist from time to time, cause it´s mostly obviously which songs they play...I wanna hear something unexpected :)
Age of false Innocence or Battlefield for example
I recognized that they´re playing the whole IFTOS album live :shock:
The Lights are up,
Now let the play begin!

*Why save the world when you can rule it? And why touch the ground when you can fly away to dreams...?*

Led Guardian

#16 Post by Led Guardian » 08 Jun 2009 21:09

Orodaran wrote:Well, I was never the song-skipper type, I always listen to entire albums anyway.... but then again, it's years that I don't listen to Imaginations anyway :P BG for me fall in the category of "bands that I know since so much time that I only listen to the new albums when they come out and enjoy the live shows" :P
I hate it when bands fall into that category. It's like having a lost love, except you can still go back and enjoy the bands again. :wink:

bestpike

#17 Post by bestpike » 09 Jun 2009 17:17

Yea that happened to me with Somewhere far beyond. It was the album i started with, and the i rediscovered it again after 2-3 years. Its an awesome feeling.

arenamaster

#18 Post by arenamaster » 10 Jun 2009 23:54

I bought the remaster today...

Oh my, it definately is the greatest BG album, holy shit. I love new art, the new booklet, etc. It's so great. :) It sounds great remastered.
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
I'm on my way to find

Edain

#19 Post by Edain » 11 Jun 2009 13:54

Haven't heard the Remasters yet - but for me it's definitely not their best album. I'm missing in some parts the complexity of the later albums - Another Holy War is - apart from being a great headbanger - quite boring. Still, all the songs grow a lot live. :)

But ANATO is still their magnum opus. :twisted:
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

arenamaster

#20 Post by arenamaster » 12 Jun 2009 22:58

Edain wrote:Haven't heard the Remasters yet - but for me it's definitely not their best album. I'm missing in some parts the complexity of the later albums - Another Holy War is - apart from being a great headbanger - quite boring. Still, all the songs grow a lot live. :)

But ANATO is still their magnum opus. :twisted:
You don't like Another Holy War? :shock:
Each step I take,
May it hurt may it ache
Leads me further
Away from the past!
I'm on my way to find

power_dysfunction

#21 Post by power_dysfunction » 13 Jun 2009 04:20

I kindof hate the intro to Another Holy War, but I don't see how it's possible not to love the rest of it :?
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

Edain

#22 Post by Edain » 13 Jun 2009 15:08

I really love the intro (including the lead guitar-stuff) but I don't see how it's possible not to find the rest of the song boring. :lol:

bestpike

#23 Post by bestpike » 15 Jun 2009 03:50

I dont like Follow the blind album very much myself :/. Except banish from sanctuary and valhalla ofc. I tried to get it, but i couldnt no matter how much i tried.

bestpike

#24 Post by bestpike » 15 Jun 2009 07:18

I dont like Follow the blind album very much myself :/. Except banish from sanctuary and valhalla ofc. I tried to get it, but i couldnt no matter how much i tried.

bestpike

#25 Post by bestpike » 17 Jun 2009 03:42

lol that was interesting :D

FantasyDrummer

Re: This is the first time I've listened to IFTOS in three years

#26 Post by FantasyDrummer » 23 Jun 2009 21:15

Can anyone tell me what the lyrics of "Born in a Mourning Hall" mean? Whats the sense of them?
Why are there a TV snake and a TV moderator mentioned? s this song maybe about the "death" that canbe caused by just watching TV and obeying to what it says? :?

Edain

#27 Post by Edain » 25 Jun 2009 18:42

Well, for me it was always just a critical song about society: About the media and the economy controlling the masses, turning people into sheep. The hints are quite plain to see:
In fact it was close to a real fallout
everything's under control
the speaker said with a serious smile
behind his mask
he knew the truth
I'll bring a new age of better ways
the TV preacher said
just pay today
pay today
The media's influence on people - lying, making false promises.
World's dressed in black
on earth's judgement day
and I?
I know it can't go on
forbidden signs increase
I'm sitting still at home
and watching
There is something at hand, dangerous times ahead - but he doesn't do anything against ist, just -watching-.
It's frightening
exciting to sit at home
and watch the burning fields
get
hypnotized by the TV snake
The snake being ever since a symbol for liers, traitors, here it's the television. It makes people dull, selling actual wars and catastrophes as entertainment. Remember the Iraq war - thousands of people dying and what were we allowed to see? Some blown-up tanks and spectacular explosions.
Obey and work hard
and feel no anger
just sympathy for the higher class
there's no chance in changing things
cause I am
Self-explaining I'd say. People get poorer and poorer, companies make enormous profits yet sacking thousands of people - and nobody cares. Nobody stands up - they just sit in their couch watching TV, wailing that they can't do anything against it.
And I'm a part of the machine
a puppet on the strings
a rebel, once
now I'm an old man
Self-explaining again? This system turns people into sheep.
Oh, I know this can't go on
but the ghost called fear inside
lames my tongue, my nerves, my mind
eternal fall down
He knows that the system is dangerous - but he is afraid of standing up, leaving the little of comfort he has gained in his life - a car, a holiday a year, a small house - behind.

Well, just my 2 cents to this kickass metal-song. I'm still thinking about whether Hansi had an actual doomsday-story/scenario in mind (my mind always circles about the mention of "a real fallout" and "world's judgement day", where do those come from?) or he just wrote against this state of things.

FantasyDrummer

#28 Post by FantasyDrummer » 25 Jun 2009 21:54

Thanks for your view. I really can identify with it. :)

I once realized that TV is very boring but also dangerous;that´s why I stopped watching.

Led Guardian

#29 Post by Led Guardian » 26 Jun 2009 20:45

I realized that with a very few exceptions, it's just plain boring.

Edain

#30 Post by Edain » 27 Jun 2009 11:23

That's what I meant with "I'm missing the complexity of the later albums" - heck, how can a song (like AHW) be not boring that consists in 90 % of Powerchords and shredding the root note exactly like 10.000 other songs?

OllieS

#31 Post by OllieS » 27 Jun 2009 15:33

AHW has a really interesting chorus that's completely turns the song around IMO. It's one of BG's best heavy tracks though, the version on the Live DVD is so intense, I love it.

Edain

#32 Post by Edain » 28 Jun 2009 13:57

Knightrider of Doom wrote:
Edain wrote:That's what I meant with "I'm missing the complexity of the later albums" - heck, how can a song (like AHW) be not boring that consists in 90 % of Powerchords and shredding the root note exactly like 10.000 other songs?
1) because it has Hansi on vocals? oO
2) because the BG guitar melodies are always cool anyway? Oo
3) because it's actually not-so-gay-powermetal? oO
4) because they actually have many different songs that don't sound like Nightbitch? Oo
5) because it's Blind Guardian! \m/ >< *headbang*
Amen, I like the album too for exactly those reasons. But for the reason I posted it I can't understand the euphoria compared to the later albums. The not-so-gay-powermetal-argument is the best one. Thinking of Helloween and Rhapsody ... brrr ... (though the latter ones do have some cool hard tracks) :mrgreen: