Legacy of the Dark Lands - Music Analysis

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Nahar

Legacy of the Dark Lands - Music Analysis

#1 Post by Nahar » 13 Nov 2019 20:59

Hi!
As the Orchestral Album features some new approaches and is generally very intriguing (at least for me), I'd like to start a thread for sharing your thoughts\discoveries\revelations concerning the music in this album. I'm not much of a musician, but I would be happy to get some more professional insights as well.

I'm thinking about recurring themes, interesting rhythms and harmonies, musical references, general structure...

Please share whatever you find, even small stuff that you find interesting.
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

Nahar

Re: Legacy of the Dark Lands - Music Analysis

#2 Post by Nahar » 13 Nov 2019 22:27

Well, I guess one of the first things to note is the enhanced usage of major keys, giving us many 'happy' parts. Especially in Dark Cloud's Rising and in The Great Ordeal (though both take a darker turn at some point), but also in other songs. There are also some playful whimsical parts (In the Red Dwarf's Tower and Point of No Return are some examples for that).
Both of these directions were tried before, but haven't gone this far. I think they had some sense of humor already since NiME (with The Minstrel), or even earlier (maybe Black Chamber?), but it reached a very ripe level here - it doesn't feel less serious artistically. Quite the opposite.
What do you think?...

I guess the instruments at their disposal here affected some of their choices, wanting to get the most out of them...

Warmoth

#3 Post by Warmoth » 14 Nov 2019 20:36

I'm going to wait a bit before making a serious reply about this, but good topic! I'm at maybe 5-6 listens. A few were passive listens.

Currently I have found several themes/motifs for sure. And each song is carving their overall archetypes into my head (The Dark one, The Epic one, the Pretty one, etc.)

Some quick not-too deep thoughts for now:
"Dark Clouds Rising" gives me a Peter Gabriel feeling that I can't quite pinpoint.
"In the Underworld" The Underworld theme is fucking killer. I kinda get a 1989 Batman feel from it for some reason, lol. Also, starting at 4:18, I fucking love this section. So dark and powerful.
"The Great Ordeal" Is incredibly epic sounding. I mentioned elsewhere that part of it reminds me of ATTWS. Maybe hints of eastern influence in it?
"Treason" is the weakest track for me. In this moment I can't really recall it.
"Nephilim" Has that cool marching refrain.
"Harvester of Souls" 5:03 - Highest note of Hansi's career? I know there's a video on YouTube about his range. I need to identify the note with a keyboard or something and see where it ranks.
"Beyond the Wall" Also kinda weak for me right now, excluding the ending.

Traveller in Time

#4 Post by Traveller in Time » 15 Nov 2019 19:53

The great ordeal could be a great christmas song.... i see santa's helpers singing the choir parts somehow... :D
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Nahar

#5 Post by Nahar » 15 Nov 2019 20:04

"In the Underworld" The Underworld theme is fucking killer. I kinda get a 1989 Batman feel from it for some reason, lol. Also, starting at 4:18, I fucking love this section. So dark and powerful.
That's actually the 1618 Ouverture main theme.
I assumed it repeats in other places as well, but I didn't really catch any other occurance. Perhaps some variation... Perhaps another part of the Ouverture (not that there are so many) is used elsewhere? Isn't that, like, the idea of an ouverture?...

Led Guardian

#6 Post by Led Guardian » 16 Nov 2019 05:04

Nahar wrote:
15 Nov 2019 20:04
I assumed it repeats in other places as well, but I didn't really catch any other occurance. Perhaps some variation... Perhaps another part of the Ouverture (not that there are so many) is used elsewhere? Isn't that, like, the idea of an ouverture?...
It's more appropriate to say that 1618 Ouverture contains that theme from In the Underworld. The Ouverture is like a musical synopsis of the album.
Warmoth wrote:
14 Nov 2019 20:36
"Harvester of Souls" 5:03 - Highest note of Hansi's career? I know there's a video on YouTube about his range. I need to identify the note with a keyboard or something and see where it ranks.
I'm by no means very good at judging pitch, but I think not. Fiddling with an online keyboard, I think the high note progression is F#5-E5-G5-F#5. Hansi's highest note that I've seen others verify is a quick trill up to Bb5 in Age of Shadows from one of the Ayreon Universe shows. D6 if you want to count is non-musical death shriek from Sacred 2, but that's not really a usable melodic note for him.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Traveller in Time

#7 Post by Traveller in Time » 16 Nov 2019 21:13

Led Guardian wrote:
16 Nov 2019 05:04
Nahar wrote:
15 Nov 2019 20:04
It's more appropriate to say that 1618 Ouverture contains that theme from In the Underworld. The Ouverture is like a musical synopsis of the album.
Warmoth wrote:
14 Nov 2019 20:36
I'm by no means very good at judging pitch, but I think not. Fiddling with an online keyboard, I think the high note progression is F#5-E5-G5-F#5. Hansi's highest note that I've seen others verify is a quick trill up to Bb5 in Age of Shadows from one of the Ayreon Universe shows. D6 if you want to count is non-musical death shriek from Sacred 2, but that's not really a usable melodic note for him.
Interesting :) How would you rate his scream in Fiddler on The Green
https://youtu.be/Ao2kvhxTzDM?t=240
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Nahar

#8 Post by Nahar » 17 Nov 2019 11:20

By the way - I feel the need to resist the claim that this is not Metal.
I wouldn't mind just calling it just music, but can you imagine someone who will like this and can't listen to Metal?...
Hansi's singing is Metal - screams and darkness and all. The music as well - quite aggressive and dark in many places. I think that once you cross these borders enough you reduce your audience to Metal fans.
I suppose you might wonder what if Grieg's Per Gynt was all stuff like In the Hall of the Mountain King (which features some dark and aggressive stuff) - I think it would pass as Metal, don't you?

(I told about this album to a guy that has some prog-rock website, with previous BG reviews, and he said he likes it a lot, but it's not Rock or Metal and he can't review it there... very strange to me)

priderock

#9 Post by priderock » 17 Nov 2019 13:23

Well, because it's just not metal, at least to me. The vocals may be aggressive, but the opera can be also really aggressive. Also, calling this album metal during the presence of bands like Helloween, Sabaton or Nightwish which are Metal is like spitting in it's face... This is pure art, while the others are crap... At the moment, the best way for me is just to call it symphonic music. A new genre with it's own rules... :)

Nahar

#10 Post by Nahar » 17 Nov 2019 17:10

priderock wrote:
17 Nov 2019 13:23
Well, because it's just not metal, at least to me. The vocals may be aggressive, but the opera can be also really aggressive. Also, calling this album metal during the presence of bands like Helloween, Sabaton or Nightwish which are Metal is like spitting in it's face... This is pure art, while the others are crap... At the moment, the best way for me is just to call it symphonic music. A new genre with it's own rules... :)
You know, the presence of bad quality stuff inside a genre doesn't need to reflect on all of its occurances...
Also I have a feeling that Symphonic Music is taken. Maybe say Intensive Symphonic Music with Metal Vocals...
Also Pure Art may include a variety of different levels.

By the way, can you share some aggressive operas? I'm curious.

Nahar

#11 Post by Nahar » 01 Dec 2019 11:34

Wanted to mention, I think the spoken parts should be considered as musical elements as well. Whether inside or outside of the songs, they have rhythm and stuff... They had it in NiME as well, but here they took it a step further. I wonder if the rhythm is sometimes based on a recurring rhythmic theme...

Nahar

#12 Post by Nahar » 01 Dec 2019 23:14

Ok, I'm quite certain there's a rhythmic connection between the end of the Ouverture, The Gathering and War Feeds War's opening...