Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.

Which old song is "Harvester of Souls" ?

1. Battlefield
3
33%
2. Under the Ice
1
11%
3. Punishment Divine
1
11%
4. The Soulforged
1
11%
5. Otherland
0
No votes
6. Road Of No Release
0
No votes
7. The Prophecies
0
No votes
8. And the Story Ends
1
11%
9. Precious Jerusalem
0
No votes
10. The Script for My Requiem
0
No votes
11. Theatre of Pain
0
No votes
13. At The Edge Of Time
2
22%
 
Total votes: 9

Message
Author
priderock
Posts: 364
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#351 Post by priderock » 26 Oct 2019 21:15

Just had the opportunity to listen to a 30 secs from “War Feeds War“ (some instrumental part)... To be honest, this is incredibly magical and heroic... It's so much different than the two released songs - it sounds like a pure heroic soundtrack and it's really better than anything we have heard by far :twisted: :) :D It's probably the sound I'm expecting from this album! Hope the rest will be like that one...

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#352 Post by Traveller in Time » 26 Oct 2019 21:27

Here is some nice interview with a producer, a master engineering:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/407404/1742878
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

priderock
Posts: 364
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#353 Post by priderock » 26 Oct 2019 22:55

Traveller in Time wrote:
26 Oct 2019 21:27
Here is some nice interview with a producer, a master engineering:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/407404/1742878
Yes, great podcast! Did you heard the last 30 secs :)

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#354 Post by Traveller in Time » 27 Oct 2019 00:26

priderock wrote:
26 Oct 2019 22:55
Traveller in Time wrote:
26 Oct 2019 21:27
Here is some nice interview with a producer, a master engineering:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/407404/1742878
Yes, great podcast! Did you heard the last 30 secs :)
yeah and the excerpt in the middle.
Sounds promising

Darcy Proper also did the mastering on Live beyond the spheres, and did win 2 grammys. So a great choice.
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... per/173194
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#355 Post by Traveller in Time » 27 Oct 2019 15:47

For those close to Krefeld:
There will be a signing session starting 17.00 on 8th of November at Saturn electronic market in Krefeld.

Source:
https://www.mein-krefeld.de/termine/aut ... d-46642463
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Guardian'86
Posts: 81
Joined: 16 Nov 2014 18:25

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#356 Post by Guardian'86 » 27 Oct 2019 17:37

Traveller in Time wrote:
26 Oct 2019 21:27
Here is some nice interview with a producer, a master engineering:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/407404/1742878
It's gonna be an apocalyptic album...magnificient....brillant.
With this album they will drive us on a journey...a magic journey .....the epicness will reach the highest levels which only BG can reach. It's Heroic....mind-blowing !!!
The excitement has never been so huge!! And Hansi's words confirm that first of all :

"It's called the Darklands and can be seen as the prequel to the album because we figured that it would be nicer if I had a little more freedom to decide which direction our story would go instead of following what he has created in the book. It's story of the daughter of Solomon Kane who has been a hero prior to the 30 Years War. The story takes place in the 30 Years War and is basically a voyage to the European countries or the German countries throughout that time which were was a devastating time with a lot of violence. This is a mysterious story about a girl trying to get the treasures of her father which you know have been stolen by people and she's undergoing a lot of adventures and meeting a lot of interesting people. One of these people she meets is a mercenary of the 30 Years War his name is Nicholas and he's the main character in Legacy of the Darklands. We will find out about his destination as he awakes on the battlefield during the 30 Years War and doesn't know a lot about himself. We're following Nicholas on his way to figure out who he is. What he will realize is that he's the first Horsemen of the Apocalypse trying to avoid the apocalypse."

When asked about the cost associated with producing their latest ORCHESTRA's opus "Legacy Of The Dark Lands which has taken 23 years
"We tried to find a way to spread it out through the recordings of the other Blind Guardian albums over the years so we could share the the expenses in between the albums. If we just went for or the pure expenses of the orchestral album I would believe over the years including studio time maybe a million Euros. And that does not include Andre's and my time during the last 23 years. "

12 days left and I will need more and more weeks and months to assimilate "Legacy of the Dark Lands" !!
Last edited by Guardian'86 on 31 Oct 2019 00:26, edited 1 time in total.


priderock
Posts: 364
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#358 Post by priderock » 31 Oct 2019 08:51

Great! Thanks for sharing it, Traveller! So, after 23 years, only 1 week divides us from the orchestral project! :) :)
:cry:

It's even hard to believe...

Nahar
Posts: 136
Joined: 17 Aug 2002 16:59
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#359 Post by Nahar » 31 Oct 2019 10:15

A bit embarrassing, but I liked the interview best when Hansi was interrupted. A (small) slice of his personal life is something we don't usually get.
Not that the interview was bad or anything. Just didn't add much to the previous ones...

I want to hear this album already!!
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#360 Post by Dragonfly » 01 Nov 2019 19:44

Can you imagine only a week is left before the release of that very orchestral project that everyone's been talking about for the last 23 years?

I can't.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#361 Post by Traveller in Time » 01 Nov 2019 20:01

yeah still a bit like daydreaming.....

another review dropping in:

https://progressivemusicplanet.com/2019 ... ark-lands/

and one in italian:
https://www.metalforce.it/recensioni/bl ... esa-062564
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#362 Post by Dragonfly » 02 Nov 2019 13:49

Still feels very surreal...
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

nyobit
Posts: 43
Joined: 23 Jul 2010 06:30

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#363 Post by nyobit » 02 Nov 2019 21:30

Dragonfly wrote:
01 Nov 2019 19:44
Can you imagine only a week is left before the release of that very orchestral project that everyone's been talking about for the last 23 years?

I can't.
The end of an era. Still I wish it was Tolkien-based.

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#364 Post by Dragonfly » 02 Nov 2019 21:34

nyobit wrote:
02 Nov 2019 21:30
Dragonfly wrote:
01 Nov 2019 19:44
Can you imagine only a week is left before the release of that very orchestral project that everyone's been talking about for the last 23 years?

I can't.
The end of an era. Still I wish it was Tolkien-based.
Me too actually. Though on the other hand, someone said it right - Tolkien became too trendy after the movie trilogy. Blind Guardian would not jump on the bandwagon, and I love them for that.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

priderock
Posts: 364
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#365 Post by priderock » 03 Nov 2019 06:04

Dragonfly wrote:
02 Nov 2019 21:34
nyobit wrote:
02 Nov 2019 21:30
Dragonfly wrote:
01 Nov 2019 19:44
Can you imagine only a week is left before the release of that very orchestral project that everyone's been talking about for the last 23 years?

I can't.
The end of an era. Still I wish it was Tolkien-based.
Me too actually. Though on the other hand, someone said it right - Tolkien became too trendy after the movie trilogy. Blind Guardian would not jump on the bandwagon, and I love them for that.
Yes, I agree with Dragonfly!!!

User avatar
Warmoth
Posts: 103
Joined: 05 Dec 2014 17:30
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#366 Post by Warmoth » 04 Nov 2019 21:55

Got all my stuff pre-ordered last week. I'm pretty stoked.

I read the English version of "The Dark lands" over the weekend. It was really great, lol, I honestly wasn't expecting much. But I enjoyed it quite a bit. I can't wait to continue with the album.

Has anyone else read it?

sciacallo010
Posts: 188
Joined: 30 Aug 2013 17:08
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#367 Post by sciacallo010 » 05 Nov 2019 20:00

If anyone's interested, here's my review of the album http://www.truemetal.it/recensioni/lega ... nds-112809
It's in Italian, but if you're interested I guess Google Translate is your friend.
Also, I spilled the beans on what song Harvester of Souls is, so if you want to save the surprise for the first listen avoid the review :lol:

I've been listening to it for some weeks now and I absolutely love it, can't wait to have all the editions I preordered (all of them, ehm, I don't have a problem, I swear) in my hands.

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#368 Post by Dragonfly » 05 Nov 2019 20:23

sciacallo010 wrote:
05 Nov 2019 20:00
If anyone's interested, here's my review of the album http://www.truemetal.it/recensioni/lega ... nds-112809
It's in Italian, but if you're interested I guess Google Translate is your friend.
Also, I spilled the beans on what song Harvester of Souls is, so if you want to save the surprise for the first listen avoid the review :lol:

I've been listening to it for some weeks now and I absolutely love it, can't wait to have all the editions I preordered (all of them, ehm, I don't have a problem, I swear) in my hands.
Cool, thank you! Google Translate did a decent enough job to understand your review!
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

priderock
Posts: 364
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#369 Post by priderock » 05 Nov 2019 21:17

sciacallo010 wrote:
05 Nov 2019 20:00
If anyone's interested, here's my review of the album http://www.truemetal.it/recensioni/lega ... nds-112809
It's in Italian, but if you're interested I guess Google Translate is your friend.
Also, I spilled the beans on what song Harvester of Souls is, so if you want to save the surprise for the first listen avoid the review :lol:

I've been listening to it for some weeks now and I absolutely love it, can't wait to have all the editions I preordered (all of them, ehm, I don't have a problem, I swear) in my hands.
Great review, I just read it earlier today :) Yes, Google makes an amazing job sometimes!!!
I just have two questions and will be really thankfull to hear your answer:
Is the classical approach stronger in the rest of the songs, than the two released singles.., and is Hansi singing in full operatic range somewhere in the album(and if so, which one is this song)?
Thanks in addition, mate!

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#370 Post by Traveller in Time » 05 Nov 2019 21:42

Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

sciacallo010
Posts: 188
Joined: 30 Aug 2013 17:08
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#371 Post by sciacallo010 » 06 Nov 2019 00:27

priderock wrote:
05 Nov 2019 21:17
Is the classical approach stronger in the rest of the songs, than the two released singles.., and is Hansi singing in full operatic range somewhere in the album(and if so, which one is this song)?
Yes, I think the classical approach is stronger in some other songs, we could say it's sort of the next level for Blind Guardian's orchestral side, progressing from the last two albums.
You can see the obvious connection, it's not like they started playing Bach all of a sudden, but the compositions are more complex and developed than in the past.
I guess it had to be this way with the orchestra being not just a support to the Metal side of the music, but the entirety of the music.

As for Hansi's singing style I wouldn't talk about a full operatic range, it's pretty much the usual Hansi, but he's using his whole range, even within the same song he changes a lot, and fairly often, the way he sings shifting from very soft vocals, to screaming, to everything that's in between.
In the last years he has shown (especially live) how versatile he his, I think he learned how to control better his voice, and he really demonstrates it in this album.

priderock
Posts: 364
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#372 Post by priderock » 06 Nov 2019 08:22

sciacallo010 wrote:
06 Nov 2019 00:27
priderock wrote:
05 Nov 2019 21:17
Is the classical approach stronger in the rest of the songs, than the two released singles.., and is Hansi singing in full operatic range somewhere in the album(and if so, which one is this song)?
Yes, I think the classical approach is stronger in some other songs, we could say it's sort of the next level for Blind Guardian's orchestral side, progressing from the last two albums.
You can see the obvious connection, it's not like they started playing Bach all of a sudden, but the compositions are more complex and developed than in the past.
I guess it had to be this way with the orchestra being not just a support to the Metal side of the music, but the entirety of the music.

As for Hansi's singing style I wouldn't talk about a full operatic range, it's pretty much the usual Hansi, but he's using his whole range, even within the same song he changes a lot, and fairly often, the way he sings shifting from very soft vocals, to screaming, to everything that's in between.
In the last years he has shown (especially live) how versatile he his, I think he learned how to control better his voice, and he really demonstrates it in this album.
Thank you very much for the answer!!!! After reading your review and many others I'm in conclussion that War Feeds War, In the Underworld and Nephilim are total highlights in thr album... Just still don't get how a song with the name "Dark Clouds Rising" is a happy song - hope something dark happens also there :P

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#373 Post by Dragonfly » 06 Nov 2019 09:41

priderock wrote:
06 Nov 2019 08:22
sciacallo010 wrote:
06 Nov 2019 00:27
priderock wrote:
05 Nov 2019 21:17
Is the classical approach stronger in the rest of the songs, than the two released singles.., and is Hansi singing in full operatic range somewhere in the album(and if so, which one is this song)?
Yes, I think the classical approach is stronger in some other songs, we could say it's sort of the next level for Blind Guardian's orchestral side, progressing from the last two albums.
You can see the obvious connection, it's not like they started playing Bach all of a sudden, but the compositions are more complex and developed than in the past.
I guess it had to be this way with the orchestra being not just a support to the Metal side of the music, but the entirety of the music.

As for Hansi's singing style I wouldn't talk about a full operatic range, it's pretty much the usual Hansi, but he's using his whole range, even within the same song he changes a lot, and fairly often, the way he sings shifting from very soft vocals, to screaming, to everything that's in between.
In the last years he has shown (especially live) how versatile he his, I think he learned how to control better his voice, and he really demonstrates it in this album.
Thank you very much for the answer!!!! After reading your review and many others I'm in conclussion that War Feeds War, In the Underworld and Nephilim are total highlights in thr album... Just still don't get how a song with the name "Dark Clouds Rising" is a happy song - hope something dark happens also there :P
Don't forget "In The Red Dwarf's Tower" - Andre claims it's something unique, and "Dark Cloud's Rising" - because I'm very much looking forward to hearing BG's own Shire theme that was developed several years before Howard Shore wrote his own! Also, "Harvester Of Souls" must be magnificent, I was always intrigued how it will sound in purely orchestral form. I wonder if they used the same orchestration as in the metal version.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

sciacallo010
Posts: 188
Joined: 30 Aug 2013 17:08
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#374 Post by sciacallo010 » 06 Nov 2019 09:53

priderock wrote:
06 Nov 2019 08:22
sciacallo010 wrote:
06 Nov 2019 00:27
priderock wrote:
05 Nov 2019 21:17
Is the classical approach stronger in the rest of the songs, than the two released singles.., and is Hansi singing in full operatic range somewhere in the album(and if so, which one is this song)?
Yes, I think the classical approach is stronger in some other songs, we could say it's sort of the next level for Blind Guardian's orchestral side, progressing from the last two albums.
You can see the obvious connection, it's not like they started playing Bach all of a sudden, but the compositions are more complex and developed than in the past.
I guess it had to be this way with the orchestra being not just a support to the Metal side of the music, but the entirety of the music.

As for Hansi's singing style I wouldn't talk about a full operatic range, it's pretty much the usual Hansi, but he's using his whole range, even within the same song he changes a lot, and fairly often, the way he sings shifting from very soft vocals, to screaming, to everything that's in between.
In the last years he has shown (especially live) how versatile he his, I think he learned how to control better his voice, and he really demonstrates it in this album.
Thank you very much for the answer!!!! After reading your review and many others I'm in conclussion that War Feeds War, In the Underworld and Nephilim are total highlights in thr album... Just still don't get how a song with the name "Dark Clouds Rising" is a happy song - hope something dark happens also there :P
While listening to it yesterday I realised that War Feeds War, Dark Clouds Rising and In The Red Dwarf's Tower are my favourite ones, for now at least.
The big choir in the middle of War Feeds War is simply magnificent.


sciacallo010
Posts: 188
Joined: 30 Aug 2013 17:08
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#376 Post by sciacallo010 » 07 Nov 2019 17:56

Well, we're just one day away from the release, it's incredible already that it lasted this long :mrgreen:

User avatar
Ryu
Posts: 357
Joined: 02 Jul 2009 17:06

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#377 Post by Ryu » 07 Nov 2019 19:58

Cursory gut-impressions on the first half:

Treason is a standout track and I could envision the whole band playing it in a metal setting. Probably could’ve been a third single.

In The Red Dwarf’s Tower ... I didn’t know what to expect from the album and kept my expectations in check. But what a surprising achievement. They’ve never done anything like this.
Defiant of destiny

Nahar
Posts: 136
Joined: 17 Aug 2002 16:59
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#378 Post by Nahar » 07 Nov 2019 21:59

I was wondering at what hour will it be released, trying to plan my day tomorrow... Suddenly fearing it would happen later than I expected.
Anyway - with these news... I'm wondering where to start. Any suggestions? Maybe, after listening way too much to the two singles for them to really fit in a clean first listen, it's better to try the instrumental side first?...
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...


priderock
Posts: 364
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#380 Post by priderock » 07 Nov 2019 22:21

Will need s few more listens to decide what to write... :) :) :) Still a mess in my head :) :shock:

Quarzstufenhyäne
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Feb 2015 11:54
Location: Dresden, Germany

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#381 Post by Quarzstufenhyäne » 07 Nov 2019 22:33

Just started listening, right now to Dark Clouds Rising (or how they call it in the lyrics book: This Road). I can't imagine how this should be topped :D

Is it confirmed that this was meant to be a Shire theme?

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#382 Post by Dragonfly » 07 Nov 2019 23:02

Quarzstufenhyäne wrote:
07 Nov 2019 22:33
Just started listening, right now to Dark Clouds Rising (or how they call it in the lyrics book: This Road). I can't imagine how this should be topped :D

Is it confirmed that this was meant to be a Shire theme?
Yes, it was meant to be their Shire theme back when the first orchestral songs were still Tolkien-based. "This Storm" was titled "Gondor", "In The Underworld" was Sauron's theme, and "Treason" was inspired (at least partially) by the character of Fangorn.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Quarzstufenhyäne
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Feb 2015 11:54
Location: Dresden, Germany

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#383 Post by Quarzstufenhyäne » 07 Nov 2019 23:44

Dragonfly wrote:
07 Nov 2019 23:02
Yes, it was meant to be their Shire theme back when the first orchestral songs were still Tolkien-based. "This Storm" was titled "Gondor", "In The Underworld" was Sauron's theme, and "Treason" was inspired (at least partially) by the character of Fangorn.
I guess that makes sense, This Storm makes me think of Gondor a lot now that I know it^^

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#384 Post by Traveller in Time » 07 Nov 2019 23:52

It is happening, it is happening.......


Audiobook content:
Image
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#385 Post by Dragonfly » 07 Nov 2019 23:56

Quarzstufenhyäne wrote:
07 Nov 2019 23:44
Dragonfly wrote:
07 Nov 2019 23:02
Yes, it was meant to be their Shire theme back when the first orchestral songs were still Tolkien-based. "This Storm" was titled "Gondor", "In The Underworld" was Sauron's theme, and "Treason" was inspired (at least partially) by the character of Fangorn.
I guess that makes sense, This Storm makes me think of Gondor a lot now that I know it^^
What makes this even more interesting is that all these songs (maybe except "Treason") were composed before the Lord Of The Rings movie trilogy came out, so BG's themes were absolutely free from any influence of Howard Shore's music.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#386 Post by Traveller in Time » 08 Nov 2019 00:51

This Storm sounds much better on CD than on Youtube stream
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

LLAG
Posts: 11
Joined: 25 Sep 2012 10:35

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#387 Post by LLAG » 08 Nov 2019 02:16

Ok, the album is already in spotify!!!! And my vinyl copy is arriving tomorrow!!!

After listening the album, I just can say that it is exactly the kind of music I was expecting: complex, with a lot of melody and register changes, lots of voices and epic moments that came and never return. But I simply cannot understand the album yet, I will need some weeks to get competely into it, but I know I will enjoy the journey. I really wanna thank the guys for delivering this special and unique amount of music.

For now, Dark Cloud's Rising is beautiful. In the Red Dwarf's tower is a big surprise, all my family is singing the Su-sa-su. Point of no return has a lot of sense in the album, it was a wonderful 1st single, but I'm in love with This storm. And Beyond the Wall seems so incredibly epic, absolutly great ending. I can wait another 20 years if they promise us something of this quality.

User avatar
Ryu
Posts: 357
Joined: 02 Jul 2009 17:06

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#388 Post by Ryu » 08 Nov 2019 03:16

..something stood out to me in In The Red Dwarf’s Tower.

It’s probably the best song for me overall at the moment and may end up along my all-time favorite BG, but this in particular:

“First I was a little insecure
But I don’t think that anyone or anything can ever be like me
Like me
(Proceeds to sing one of the highest notes of his career)”

I kind of headcanon this as Hansi admitting he’s been incredibly nervous about achieving what he set out to with this project, but he always remembers ... he’s fucking Hansi Kürsch, the most talented singer in metal.

It’s fun to think about it that way at least. ;)
Defiant of destiny

priderock
Posts: 364
Joined: 17 Jan 2015 12:45

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#389 Post by priderock » 08 Nov 2019 06:06

Ryu wrote:
08 Nov 2019 03:16
..something stood out to me in In The Red Dwarf’s Tower.

It’s probably the best song for me overall at the moment and may end up along my all-time favorite BG, but this in particular:

“First I was a little insecure
But I don’t think that anyone or anything can ever be like me
Like me
(Proceeds to sing one of the highest notes of his career)”

I kind of headcanon this as Hansi admitting he’s been incredibly nervous about achieving what he set out to with this project, but he always remembers ... he’s fucking Hansi Kürsch, the most talented singer in metal.

It’s fun to think about it that way at least. ;)
In the Red Dwarf's Tower is a total masterpiece, I completely agree... This song is pure Epic art... I'm also very surpised by Treason - that's exactly how I imagined the sound of the orchestral album - so much beauty in the shortest song of the album...Also War Feeds Far and In The Underworld - I LOOOVE these two...!!! At the moment these 4 songs are the perfect example of how I expected the orchestral project :D maybe I expected a little more from Beyond The Wall to be honest - a little bigger final maybe... :roll:

Guardian'86
Posts: 81
Joined: 16 Nov 2014 18:25

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#390 Post by Guardian'86 » 08 Nov 2019 10:56

This magnificient and mind-blowing opera needs more and more listenings.... it's hard to give an impression of the whole album !!! I can feel the epicness at the highest levels....it's very very glorious, perfect in all senses !! The orchestrations are really masterful just like Hansi's performance...he delivered many vocals skills which until now I didn't know...

Nahar
Posts: 136
Joined: 17 Aug 2002 16:59
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#391 Post by Nahar » 08 Nov 2019 17:41

Still very excited, and can't really contain all the songs.
Also confused with all the versions.

One complaint (which I hope will pass with time) - I'm having (from 2 listens) a hard time with Harvester of Souls. Both because it's too much like At the Edge of Time, and seems not as good and it reminds me how much I love BtRM and the following Ashes of Eternity...
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

User avatar
Warmoth
Posts: 103
Joined: 05 Dec 2014 17:30
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#392 Post by Warmoth » 08 Nov 2019 18:14

You guys are killing me! Mine won't be here til the 12th! lol
I really want to experience the thing from start to end while holding it in my hands!

Not looking for spoilers, but what do you guys think of the story? Has anyone absorbed it yet?

User avatar
Umex
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Aug 2010 08:59

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#393 Post by Umex » 08 Nov 2019 18:57

Is it okay to cry while listening to these? While going through the instrumental versions I couldn‘t help myself and pretend they were for Lord of the Rings.

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#394 Post by Traveller in Time » 08 Nov 2019 19:05

Dark Cloud's rising and The ordeal are really one of my favourites. Bu needs a lot more spins to catch all of the beauty.
And i can agree on that after high praising of "In the red dwarf's tower" and "beyond the wall", you got a bit grounded. Therefore the two mentioned above stood out, at least for me.
But all in all a great album. :D
And where is the easter egg beep? :D

On Headphones the CD sounds absolutely well, just some bombardon (or is it trombones?) have a bit of, like i would call it, some kind of clipping like Wheel of Time had.

It is really mindblowing!

Story:
I got the main part (art least i think so) but still missing some details.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#395 Post by Dragonfly » 08 Nov 2019 19:41

Umex wrote:
08 Nov 2019 18:57
Is it okay to cry while listening to these? While going through the instrumental versions I couldn‘t help myself and pretend they were for Lord of the Rings.
I haven't heard anything yet but I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Where is the crying emoji when you really need it?
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#396 Post by Traveller in Time » 08 Nov 2019 20:11

No Time for regrets
You just have to realize
Our brotherhood of man
will come to heal these lands
shakes me every time
Then by the light of the day
and the grail
we will find another way
and in the end some choir similiar to
The New Order (Here is the new order, hope shall be your guide)

pure Hope!

NIICSSSSSSSE ? gollum hint? :-)
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 09 Nov 2019 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#397 Post by Dragonfly » 08 Nov 2019 23:09

By the way, congratulations, fellow brothers and sisters, we made it to this fabled day! How many of us were desperate it would never come? We have a truly historic occasion today which I'm sure will be remembered for many a year.

On a darker note - I wonder how many people actually didn't live long enough to see this album's release and never got a chance to see it come out and give it a listen...
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#398 Post by Traveller in Time » 09 Nov 2019 00:14

Dragonfly wrote:
08 Nov 2019 23:09
By the way, congratulations, fellow brothers and sisters, we made it to this fabled day! How many of us were desperate it would never come? We have a truly historic occasion today which I'm sure will be remembered for many a year.

On a darker note - I wonder how many people actually didn't live long enough to see this album's release and never got a chance to see it come out and give it a listen...
Amen.

Hard to see the video shots with Douglas Fielding, knowing he is not living anymore, great job he did.
To all others can be said: It is like you dreamed of....it is everything and beyond. So i guess they know :)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Traveller in Time
Posts: 1117
Joined: 02 Sep 2002 19:43

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#399 Post by Traveller in Time » 09 Nov 2019 00:16

Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

User avatar
Dragonfly
Posts: 499
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 17:47
Location: Russia

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#400 Post by Dragonfly » 09 Nov 2019 15:49

Traveller in Time wrote:
09 Nov 2019 00:14
Dragonfly wrote:
08 Nov 2019 23:09
By the way, congratulations, fellow brothers and sisters, we made it to this fabled day! How many of us were desperate it would never come? We have a truly historic occasion today which I'm sure will be remembered for many a year.

On a darker note - I wonder how many people actually didn't live long enough to see this album's release and never got a chance to see it come out and give it a listen...
Amen.

Hard to see the video shots with Douglas Fielding, knowing he is not living anymore, great job he did.
To all others can be said: It is like you dreamed of....it is everything and beyond. So i guess they know :)
Indeed. And this album is his very last work I believe? At least the stars aligned so that he could be a part of this project.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests