Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.

Which old song is "Harvester of Souls" ?

1. Battlefield
38%
2. Under the Ice
13%
3. Punishment Divine
13%
4. The Soulforged
13%
5. Otherland
No votes
6. Road Of No Release
No votes
7. The Prophecies
No votes
8. And the Story Ends
13%
9. Precious Jerusalem
No votes
10. The Script for My Requiem
No votes
11. Theatre of Pain
No votes
13. At The Edge Of Time
13%

Total votes: 8

priderock

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#301 Post by priderock » 07 Sep 2019 06:19

Ok, to be honest.., I couldn't resist listening to the song :oops:

Right now, a few things come to my mind.
First of all, this song contains their most majestic and gigantic chorus(if we can talk about chorus, since this is not exactly a song structure...). This part is probably bigger and more majestic than every choir moment I have heard in the classical music... All of this makes me curious to know, how far this album can get with the other songs :)
On the other hand, the song has some weird and not typical B.G. moments, but let's not forged that this is not a typical album, this a musical/opera as it seems...

Right now, I'm blown away... the moment "Find the key to be free.." is something magnificent as well and something that I really need, as someone wrote also above...
My last thought is once again: how far this album can go, if once again they kept the tradition to release a song as a "single" that contains just a little from the whole piece...??? :)

wade-newb

Re: Blind Guardian's Twilight Orchestra - "Legacy of the Dark Lands" (The Orchestral Project)

#302 Post by wade-newb » 07 Sep 2019 09:56

I’ve listened to this song over and over since yesterday and it sounds completely different now than my first listen. Really loving it a lot.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Led Guardian

#303 Post by Led Guardian » 08 Sep 2019 04:18

priderock wrote:
07 Sep 2019 06:11
Led Guardian wrote:
07 Sep 2019 03:48
priderock wrote:
01 Sep 2019 12:00
"The single will be This Storm. It was composed during the "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" songwriting and was the first track composed for the orchestral album. Dark Cloud's Rising was the second song composed also during "Nightfall".It has a "Shire"(from LOTR)-mood. These informations are from "Deaf Forever", a Heavy Metal print magazine.The german press was invited to listen to the whole album already in the beginning of July." Just read that info :D

P.S. Also read which song does "Harvester of Souls" is.., but since it's a major spoiler, I'm not sure I want to write it just like that :D But, if it's true, than I'm more than happy since this is maybe my favourite B.G. song and here it will appear even bigger as it seems :twisted:
I'm curious to know as well, since I can't read the article.
You have a PM ;)
Thanks!
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

LLAG

#304 Post by LLAG » 09 Sep 2019 17:40

I have to admit that in the first listening to Point of no retorn I expected something different, more energetic, but after listening to it several times I find it delicious. The nuances in Hansi's voice are immeasurable!

priderock

#305 Post by priderock » 09 Sep 2019 17:40

So, after 3 days of listening to Point of No Return, I'm still blown away how big the chorus part is... Seriously, what source is this... I mean.., WOW, it' just ubelivable.. It's like thousands and thousands of voices.... I expected something big, but this is even heard to believe...

"... A new breeze.., a new dawn.., a new day..." part is also out of this world... All in all, I'm speechless at the moment...

Led Guardian

#306 Post by Led Guardian » 13 Sep 2019 05:11

I was actually underwhelmed by the song when I first listened to it. I liked it a bit better the second time, but it's still not blowing me away. It's got sort of the same problem as At the Edge of Time (the song), where every time there's an interesting melodic idea, it eventually wanders off into something more generic, like the idea was never quite finished. For example, the Point of No Return chorus, which is just big orchestra hits and choir. Meh. I really like some of the ideas and parts in this song (for example, the intro up to the "Ages" segment and bit after the first chorus, the "Come along" part), but it feels like the composition was sort of like "Here's a cool melody someone thought of, annnd then some other stuff happens in between *vague hand wavy-gestures*, and then here's another cool melody." Hansi's lyrics also don't seem to flow as well as they usually do in this song.

I dunno, maybe the fact that I listen to classical music some has given me the wrong expectations for what this album will be. Like, if I compare it to movements from things like Dvorak's New World Symphony, or Holst's The Planets, or Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, there's not really any comparison. I mean, Andre and Hansi are not classical composers, so the album's bound to be more a fusion of classical orchestration and a more pop/metal/soundtrack compositional sensibility, but it's hard to listen to something with classical orchestration and not compare it to classical music.

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the full album, and hopefully it will all grow on me.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

priderock

#307 Post by priderock » 13 Sep 2019 05:56

I know what you talk about, but the final chorus part is already bigger than any classical choral moment... Even Carmina burana or Ninth Wave are kinda small to this one :) This even raises my expectations in terms of gigantic and "unseen proportions" in this album, as the band stated Anyway, what you talk about comes to me in the final 10secs when the music starts to be really motivational. Hope this melody finds a true development in some of the next pieces. I also hope that the classical approach will be higher in the whole album.., at least that's how I imagined it during all this years. To me, Point of No Return is more like a musical with significantly big and epic classical choral part. It has this gigantic Lord of the Rings/Wagner feeling and a lot of deep emotions in it... Anyway, I still think that the rest of the album will be more classical. The final part of At The Edge Of Time(the song) already gave me really high expectations a few years ago.

But, right now, Point of No Return completely fills my expectations... It's gigantic, epic, full of emotions and bombastic as hell...It has everything in it

Traveller in Time

#308 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Sep 2019 18:20

Led Guardian wrote:
13 Sep 2019 05:11
I was actually underwhelmed by the song when I first listened to it. I liked it a bit better the second time, but it's still not blowing me away. It's got sort of the same problem as At the Edge of Time (the song), where every time there's an interesting melodic idea, it eventually wanders off into something more generic, like the idea was never quite finished. For example, the Point of No Return chorus, which is just big orchestra hits and choir. Meh. I really like some of the ideas and parts in this song (for example, the intro up to the "Ages" segment and bit after the first chorus, the "Come along" part), but it feels like the composition was sort of like "Here's a cool melody someone thought of, annnd then some other stuff happens in between *vague hand wavy-gestures*, and then here's another cool melody." Hansi's lyrics also don't seem to flow as well as they usually do in this song.

I dunno, maybe the fact that I listen to classical music some has given me the wrong expectations for what this album will be. Like, if I compare it to movements from things like Dvorak's New World Symphony, or Holst's The Planets, or Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, there's not really any comparison. I mean, Andre and Hansi are not classical composers, so the album's bound to be more a fusion of classical orchestration and a more pop/metal/soundtrack compositional sensibility, but it's hard to listen to something with classical orchestration and not compare it to classical music.

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the full album, and hopefully it will all grow on me.
After first listening i felt like you. It was a bit disappointed at first, but i have to say it grows on me with every further listening. Some parts just fly by to the next climax. "While i head into the storm.." is my favourite part besides the explosion on "find the key to be free". But when it is right that this song is the closest to BG music then there are a lot more suprises to come. So really i can't complain and after several listenings i like it more and more, although there is some feeling left that it was not their top song where every note every detail was turned twice around to make it perfect in BG terms. Well expectations after 23 years are really high :wink:
In comparison to Children of the smith point of no return is a bit weaker. This one really blew me away especially Hansis singing.
For example:2:10 - 2:40
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

priderock

#309 Post by priderock » 14 Sep 2019 20:19

Point of no return to be weaker than Children of the Smith... This must be a joke... Children of The Smith is a good song, but can be easily be forgotten after a while - it's good, but there's nothing genius in it... Point of no Return on the other hand is gigantic piece of art.. Yes, it tooks a few listens, but after that, the size of it just can't leave your head... I'm amazed that someone can compare it with Children of The Smith :/

Traveller in Time

#310 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Sep 2019 21:01

you are right it is not comparable, children of the smith had no 23 years in the making (composing wise), nor such a big orchestra or production, nor was it composed by BG, its purpose was a game soundtrack, not a lifetime work and contains e-guitars. None or less i prefer Hansis singing there more and somehow i have the feeling they speed up with the vocal recordings (like Led Guardian said that missing flow of lyrics) to get it done. just my 2cents.

Don't get me wrong it's a masterpiece but still there is a feeling that it is not that perfect song, you expected them to deliver. Again just my opinion. Maybe a temporarily mood or just overhyped ;-)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!