forum.blind-guardian.com

Blind Guardian Forum
It is currently 20 Oct 2014 23:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012 13:52 

Darth Arrow wrote:
bestpike wrote:
somnia wrote:
I'm sorry, but that's wrong. Old version (and all of ANATO) had a very shitty production with absolutely no dynamic range, every sound and the whole mix compressed to the effing peak with a low enough overall volume to compensate. An insult to the awesome music, unbearable pain for our ears and a black mark for Blind Guardian. I can't for the life of me stand that for more than a song at a time. It feels like bleeding from my ears, inwards.

I must have been listening to a different track for the last 10 years.

+1
I too am one of those who likes the original ATTWS over the rerecorded one. Rerecorded has its points, it's much clearer, sharper and allaround "tidier", but I love the old versions "epicness" and the fact that it's so "full" actually benefits the song imo. New version is great, but it won't take the old off the pedestral for me :)

You see, what I'm saying is not an opinion. I love all the songs on ANATO, can't believe how complex they can get without losing control of the song, the epicness. Bhe production is really bad. Granted ATTWS is the better one among others production-wise, but I just can't handle it long enough to enjoy it. If you can, that's okay. If you like a wall of sound full of clippings more than a properly produced song that has much more dynamic range, that's okay. Well, not okay per se, but it's not my place to judge.

The snarky manner in bestpike's comment, on the other hand, is a whole other matter.

Last edited by somnia on 24 Feb 2012 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012 20:41 

I for one don't know a fucking thing about mixing or sound engineering or whathaveyou, but even with my totally uneducated pedestrian ears I can hear how fucking terrible the sound quality on ANATO is.
As much as I love that album, the production of it just sounds so horribly muffled and stuffy, it's really a damn shame.

Also, I think I should visit this subforum more often, I literally learned of this compilation's existence just a moment ago. :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012 21:28 

bestpike wrote:
T3hOverlord wrote:
ANATO would have been a better album if they simply removed Maiden and The Minstral Knight, and Sadly Sings Destiny. I take those out of my itunes playlist, and ANATO is my favourite BG album to listen to from start to finish minus those 2 songs.

Sadly Sings Destiny is an excellent song. Took me many years to realize though.

Me too. At first I really dind't like this song, but then I caught myself singing the chorus and thinking about the guitar riffs, plus the main solo. It's awesome 0/
ANATO sounds a specific BG album... I think there is the most agressive and impressive Thomen performance. And, in my opinion, it has the best cover at all.

Blind Guardian Brasil
My BG Tribute
My ReverbNation

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 17:10 

What a difference in the drums mixing on the songs that Thomen have recorded.
Bright Eyes for example. Where are the drums? :lol:

Blind Guardian Brasil
My BG Tribute
My ReverbNation

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012 07:54 

But why does the drums on the remixed versions sounds so weak ???? I really like these versions, but only for the drums I prefer the original ones.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012 17:16 

teo_guardian wrote:
Old ATTWS is far more epic than the new one.

I've not yet gathered money to buy the CD and I don't dare listening to the album on youtube and won't download for philosophic reasons, but from what I've managed to stumble upon... I have yet to hear a re-somethingdone song from that album that I'd like more than the original. (Save, perhaps, for IftOS.)

I get that the re-working has its uses and I can understand why people would like it and I'm absolutely sure that the album will win many new fans. And even though I'm quite a new fan myself, I'm not that fond of how the songs and individual sounds are polished into perfection.

Anyway, I agree with teo. ATTWS old version seems better to me. So does Mirror Mirror, Nightfall and The Hobbit, even if they are oh-so-imperfect to many. In the Forest is just ridiculous - The Bard's Song? Since when did Bards have an orchestra at hand?

I suppose the drums are muted to take away some of the more aggressive edge. It levels the stuff more to the recent prog/symphonic era.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012 16:23 

I've read in the band's site that there is an edition of Memories of a Time to Come, that come with an album with many pictures of the band, in cronological order, and I am very interested in it.

Lookin on the shop, I've saw this:

http://www.blind-guardian-shop.com/product_info.php?info=p78_At-the-Edge-of-Time---Ltd--Edition-4-LP-Picture-Disc-Box.html

Is this edition that come with a lot of pictures? I don't have an LP player anymore!!! :mrgreen:
Those are LP vinyl discs????

Blind Guardian Brasil
My BG Tribute
My ReverbNation

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012 21:44 

I think you mean this one:

http://www.nuclearblast.de/de/produkte/ ... vinyl.html

The one you posted is the limited vinyl box of At The Edge of Time.

But the pictures of BG in chronological order is also in the booklet of the limited CD edition , maybe in the booklet of the regular CD, too (don't know i don't have the regular one), but of course the vinyl edition has those pictures in larger size due to the format :)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012 21:16 

Oh right, sorry 'bout my mistake...

The vinyl edition must be very very nice... surely... but I'll take the CD edition, so I can listen to it! :mrgreen:

Found this one, it must be what you've bought: http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/ ... eluxe.html :wink:

Blind Guardian Brasil
My BG Tribute
My ReverbNation

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012 11:06 

Yeah, mh i could swear mine was called limited edition, but well, limited, deluxe, special, platin, collector's in the end the are not very different from each other ;)

I just buy vinyls for cellcting issues, somewhere i have a vinyl player, but not best one and mostly those CD to vinyl adapted recordings sound not best, as i read here in some posts.
It would be nice if with buying the vinyl you get the mp3 for free... so you pay for every format ;)

PostPosted: 02 May 2012 17:23 

Absolutely nice... just fair btw... it could have a code or something like that, that'd allow you to download the mp3 tracks from their site.

I'm sure the vinyls don't have the best audio quality, but I'm sure too it is a really nice collector's piece!!! 8)

Blind Guardian Brasil
My BG Tribute
My ReverbNation

PostPosted: 05 May 2012 13:30 

... I thought that in terms of quality, vinyl was actually the best thing to buy music (or any sound)...

PostPosted: 05 May 2012 18:16 

Yeah but audio recordings are made for CDs and than the music of the CDs are just converted to vinyl format, no extra treat.
At least i guess that is the reason, but i am far not an expert...

PostPosted: 17 May 2012 16:33 

I'm sure that listen to this album, even on a vinyl player would be a really interesting experience... maybe more vintage, what makes sense...

Old 'The Hobbit' is far more epic than the new one... what doesn't make the new one bad.
It is just different. Wow, and it's a lot different. Of course. 20 years later.

What made me so happy is the fact they chose two songs I like most, like The Hobbit and Somewhere far Beyond 8)

Blind Guardian Brasil
My BG Tribute
My ReverbNation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6