New member saying hi

This is the section for national/regional topics, other topics intended for specific groups of people, as well as for any kind of spam or game topics (including "Now Playing" threads).
Infernal Lord

New member saying hi

#1 Post by Infernal Lord » 06 Feb 2015 18:49

Hello all! :D

As you will have gathered from the thread title, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start by introducing myself before I start making any potentially contentious posts in the future...

I'm from the UK and have only recently discovered the Majesty (sic) that is Blind Guardian, having been listening to metal for over two decades. I kept seeing the name of the band mentioned in posts on the Iron Maiden FC forum towards the end of last year and decided to find out what all the fuss was about.

After a spot of Googling to find out what people generally considered to be their best album, I downloaded 'Somewhere Far Beyond' and haven't really looked back to be honest...!

I have to say that I prefer their earlier albums, the faster more aggressively guitar-driven songs and the RELENTLESSLY ferocious drum beats. My favourite album is definitely 'Tales From the Twilight World' - there isn't a single track that I don't like (with the possible exception of 'Altair 4', although I think of that as a kind of extension of 'Tommyknockers' anyway) and it's AWESOME when cranked right up to neighbour-annoying volumes - although my favourite song is 'Time What Is Time' from SFB, which in my opinion is one of the finest metal tracks EVER WRITTEN! It's basically flawless, a masterpiece! The first time I heard it I got shivers up my spine during the lead-in from the final verse into the chorus ("...Is it all over now / Only these years / I'll leave but I'm singing / Time What Is Time..." - Brilliant!!).

I gather from a bit of pre-reading from posts across the forum that my opinions may not actually be in line with the majority. It seems that there are more fans that prefer the later, symphonic side of what the band does. I haven't actually heard every one of their albums yet (why isn't 'A Night at the Opera' on iTunes...?), but SOME of the later songs don't really do it for me. I am more than willing to give them all a fair shout though and I'd love to see them performed live. Also, having said all that, I'm really loving the new album. I had it preordered digitally and I've literally played nothing else since it came out (2nd Feb for those of us on these shores... :x ); I'm now waiting impatiently for my 2 Limited Edition copies (the 2-disc Earbook - whatever one of those actually is! - and the single-CD with mirror set - to arrive. They're really taking their time to arrive too! :evil:

The eagle-eyed (eared?) will have noticed that my username is a nod to lyrics from the new album, by the way. :wink:
Anyway... There's lots of scope for discussing all things 'Beyond the Red Mirror' in other threads so I won't dwell on it any more here.

I've already got my tickets booked to go and see The Bards play at The Forum in Camden (London) this April, so perhaps I'll see some of you there?! 8)
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago
We're the ones you've left alone

Sleeping Dragon

Re: New member saying hi

#2 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 07 Feb 2015 07:12

You're... not a bot, are you?

*poke* *poke*

Guys! I think this one's real!

Welcome! :mrgreen:
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Infernal Lord

#3 Post by Infernal Lord » 07 Feb 2015 09:24

Sleeping Dragon wrote:You're... not a bot, are you?

*poke* *poke*

Guys! I think this one's real!

Welcome! :mrgreen:

I double-checked myself. Definitely real! :mrgreen:

And thanks! :)
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago

Gandalf de Grijze

#4 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 07 Feb 2015 11:22

welcome to dying!
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Twister

#5 Post by Twister » 07 Feb 2015 13:20

Welcome to the Slaughterhouse! Oh, but you said you haven't listened yet to A Night at the Opera... :mrgreen:
Blind Guardian's best album here is generally considered to be Nightfall in Middle-Earth, along with Imaginations from the Other Side: but it's true that their first albums up to Somewhere Far Beyond are the most "speed metallish" ones. Still, "Imaginations..." has a terrific aggressiveness, and check out The Curse of Feanor from "Nightfall...", although I personally love the "Queen-ish" Nightfall.
Enjoy your stay! :)
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

Infernal Lord

#6 Post by Infernal Lord » 07 Feb 2015 18:44

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:welcome to dying!
Thanks. :)
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago

Infernal Lord

#7 Post by Infernal Lord » 07 Feb 2015 18:49

Twister wrote:Welcome to the Slaughterhouse! Oh, but you said you haven't listened yet to A Night at the Opera... :mrgreen:
Blind Guardian's best album here is generally considered to be Nightfall in Middle-Earth, along with Imaginations from the Other Side: but it's true that their first albums up to Somewhere Far Beyond are the most "speed metallish" ones. Still, "Imaginations..." has a terrific aggressiveness, and check out The Curse of Feanor from "Nightfall...", although I personally love the "Queen-ish" Nightfall.
Enjoy your stay! :)
Yeah, I enjoy both albums, 'Imaginations...' especially from the two. I actually found I had to listen to 'Nightfall...' a few times to get into it, what with all the 'exposition' parts between the actual songs. There are clearly some real gems on there but it doesn't matter what I hear, I can't get over the immediacy and the aggression and the all-round brutal brilliance of the 1-2 hit of 'Traveler in Time' and 'Welcome to Dying' from 'Tales...'!

Thanks for the welcome, by the way! :)
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago

Dentarthurdent

#8 Post by Dentarthurdent » 07 Mar 2015 08:11

No worries, mate, since there are no bad Guardian-albums, you might well consider TfTTW their least-bad album.

Here's to all thos hell-fuckin' goadawsum sonngs on that record, which I can't play at th moment,on account of fear of waking my flatmats.

Who's drunk? No,not m,sir,crtainly not m!"

*on account of th dysfucntionality of my e-key, see som othr thread in this forum!
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

abeha

#9 Post by abeha » 17 Mar 2015 08:34

I'm from the UK and have only recently discovered the Majesty (sic) that is Blind Guardian, having been listening to metal for over two decades. I kept seeing the name of the band mentioned in posts on the Iron Maiden FC forum towards the end of last year and decided to find out what all the fuss was about.

Sleeping Dragon

#10 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 17 Mar 2015 09:36

Welcome!

:mrgreen:
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Infernal Lord

#11 Post by Infernal Lord » 17 Mar 2015 19:49

abeha wrote:I'm from the UK and have only recently discovered the Majesty (sic) that is Blind Guardian, having been listening to metal for over two decades. I kept seeing the name of the band mentioned in posts on the Iron Maiden FC forum towards the end of last year and decided to find out what all the fuss was about.
Seems familiar... :?
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago

Infernal Lord

#12 Post by Infernal Lord » 17 Mar 2015 19:49

Sleeping Dragon wrote:Welcome!

:mrgreen:
Thanks. 8)
The Nine sing
Once upon a dream ago