2014 Brazil world cup football

This is the section for national/regional topics, other topics intended for specific groups of people, as well as for any kind of spam or game topics (including "Now Playing" threads).
Frozen within

2014 Brazil world cup football

#1 Post by Frozen within » 30 May 2014 00:32

Sooooooooo,

What are your expectations for the upcoming WC football in Brazil ? Since no European country EVER won a single WC on South American soil, I think it's about fucking time one DOES, right !? Therefore, against every common sense within me (which tells me that Brazil has this thing in the bag) I'll predict that Italy will win the cup. Yes I'm Dutch, but I'm neither a chauvinist nor a moron (although opinions vary on the latter). Also, I've already come to terms with a butchering of our team in the first group phase. I mean, we play against Spain in the fucking very first match, like, REALLY ??? Fuck that, I'm still not (and will never be) over the fact that we lost our last WC final against them, and now the nightmare continues ...

Enough with my girly-ass whining, basically I'm just hoping for an enjoyable tournament with lots of goals and fair play. But this is probably too much too wish for. Football nowadays (at least on the higher levels) tends to be a tedious thing too watch, with a huge focus on defense, nasty fouls and no room for class A players to actually show their skills.

Still, I'm very much looking forward to see this thing unravel. And for the first time since forever I can actually watch the whole goddamned tournament on tv, since I'll be on my holidays then. Man, my girlfriend is gonna hate me so much ....

Game on, and good luck to all your national teams. May the best one win !
Eat more vegetables !

Orodaran

Re: 2014 Brazil world cup football

#2 Post by Orodaran » 30 May 2014 14:46

I hope the best one doesn't win, otherwise Italy will not win the 5th Cup :mrgreen:

About the last World Cup and the dutchies losing a final once again, to quote Jack Sparrow, "I want you to know I was rooting for you, mate" :wink:

For the final victory... I'd say Brazil, Argentina and Spain, Germany will arrive at the end, as usual, and will lose (probably against Italy), as usual. Being a german fanboy they're however my second team of choice should Italy fail. I have actually to pick up as I always do some random-ass third or fourth choice, I usually do so based on the weakest teams, ehehe!

That's who I will root for... for rooting against, well, I'd say France, because when it comes to sports and football fuck France (and I'm sure the feelings is mutual, neighbours hate each other :mrgreen: ), Spain because enough Spain (Also, the people of the multinational for whom I work and that are planning to close the entire italian site are spanish), and Brazil, well, I'd like them to lose the final just for the lulz, a third millennium edition of the Maracanazo :twisted:

Anyway, I'm all for a non-South American team to win, and if all my favorite teams fail, I wouldn't mind seeing the Netherlands taste success for once. A first time ever winner would be nice, but I'm not sure any team that never won the cup has actually a chance this time.

All in all I hope to see some fun, some epic fails here and there which are always fun to witness unless they happen to your team (come on everybody else, admit that you took a savage pleasure, for example, in seeing Italy being utterly embarassing as reigning champions 4 years ago), and memorable matches to be talked for years to come :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Isis65

#3 Post by Isis65 » 04 Jun 2014 13:06

Honestly, about the the world championship winner I don't give a damn. But since I have a German boyfriend, I really hope that Germany will lose a match against Italy (so that I can mock him ferociously) and then Italy will lose against someone else (so I can mock all those who go crazy for football). Basically, also we soccer haters can enjoy a little this championship.
For the rest, I hope it ends soon, at least for 4 years I will not hear more talk about it.
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Orodaran

#4 Post by Orodaran » 14 Jun 2014 19:51

Frozen within wrote:Also, I've already come to terms with a butchering of our team in the first group phase. I mean, we play against Spain in the fucking very first match, like, REALLY ??? Fuck that, I'm still not (and will never be) over the fact that we lost our last WC final against them, and now the nightmare continues ...
Someone else's nightmare has just begun :D
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Frozen within

#5 Post by Frozen within » 20 Jun 2014 00:00

Oh yes indeed Andrea, but I can't help but feeling sorry (if only just a little) for that legendary group of players ...

The most beautiful thing about the match though, was that I saw it on Spanish ground, surrounded by Spanish people convinced of a good result for Spain. I was enjoying my holiday on Tenerife and thought it would be nice to be around people who were actually going to be cheerful after the whole thing ended, as opposed to the lost final 4 years ago when I was amongst my long faced country men and women (YOU remember, right Barry ? :wink: ) .... After the penalty kick (an absolute disgrace that decision I think) the first Spaniards were already acting overly happy and EVERY person from Holland there thought "Whoop dee doo, here we go once again". After Van Persie's equalizer (what a fucking goal that was right ? :o) I was already content, no matter what the outcome would have been. At least 'we' scored against those Spanish ****heads !!! :wink: Well, the one thing noone in Holland expected happened from there and I must say I'm "100 % absolutely yessir indeed" one of those shallow fucks who actually got an enormous kick out of this. Sportive revenge is one of the sweetest things there is imo 8)

@ Isis : I'm glad even you as a true footballhater have found a way to enjoy the tournament, although maybe not watching and simply ignoring the whole fucking thing might be an idea as well ? :wink:
Eat more vegetables !

Isis65

#6 Post by Isis65 » 20 Jun 2014 19:09

Frozen within wrote: @ Isis : I'm glad even you as a true footballhater have found a way to enjoy the tournament, although maybe not watching and simply ignoring the whole fucking thing might be an idea as well ? :wink:
Sure, it would be a great idea .... if it were possible.
That is, if I lived on a planet where there no television, newspapers, mobile phones, networked computers, where there no co-workers, friends, relatives and family members who always talking about football, where there in supermarkets were not any special offer with the colors of the national teams , where there not arrive offers advertising and subscriptions to watch all the matches of all the teams.
Unfortunately for me, it is not. Not even in Italy, I'm afraid also in the rest of Europe. Probably also in South America is the same, I do not know about the rest of the world.
So I really hope you all will suffer a lot for all your fuckin 'teams.
:twisted:
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 21 Jun 2014 00:59

Why try to resist the mass? just give up and fit in! :P :mrgreen:

(And looks like I'm gonna have to switch to my second team, Germany, quite soon... even though I'd pay to see Uruguay win the final against Brazil!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Dragonfly

#8 Post by Dragonfly » 21 Jun 2014 20:03

I predict it this way:
Gold - Germany
Silver - Argentina
Bronze - Brazil

So far probably the best football tournament I've ever seen. My favourites are Germany, Uruguay, France and Russia. I also sympathize with African teams, it's high time they won something :)
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Orodaran

#9 Post by Orodaran » 27 Jun 2014 00:03

Well... champions of everything Spain, Italy, England and Portugal out... Algeria is in, and one between Greece and Costa Rica will be amongst the BEST 8 OF THE WORLD aahahahha :mrgreen:

My preferences revised, as of now:

- Germany
- Netherlands
- Anyone who didn't win the Cup beforehand (Mexico, Chile...)
- Argentina, but only if they defeat Brazil in the final.

Speaking of this... I've found a nice blog entry who has something to say about it, it sounds very convincing:

http://www.lacelesteblog.com/?p=11050

Short version: The tournament is rigged to carry Argentina to the final, since they got a "lucky" draw for an easy group, and by "coincidence" they will play every match in the cool south while every one of their opponents will have just played in the hot and sweaty north. France was to be condemned to a group of death but Italy got fucked over it instead, so the "master plan" would be this: help France (Platini), help a lot Argentina (Grondona, one of the powers behind FIFA) and fuck Brazil for organizing in such a poor way the Cup (even though they will be carried at least to the semi finals), with Argentina being rewarded and Messi becoming a poster boy for FIFA.

Well, sounds convincing... but even if it's true, I just want so bad to see another Maracanazo :lol:

Oh, and fuck Suarez, Italy did too poorly and any 4-times world champion who loses against Costa Goddamn Rica has no right to complain about anything but themselves, but at least the fucker's grounded until winter basically.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Frozen within

#10 Post by Frozen within » 27 Jun 2014 00:46

What a fucking guinea pig that Suarez motherfucker ! He should be forced to play all future matches with one of those mouthpieces used in boxing. Or in horse sports, that fits better I guess. Quite the WC indeed, but not too many suprises I think. Fuck Samaras though, any ref with 2 working eyes wouldn't have fallen for that pathetic dive (pun intended, pretty weak though, I know). Fuck Greece, I hope they'll get slaughtered by Costa Rica ! Still 100 % sure that Brazil will take the cup, but I guess now they will encounter Germany in the final and not Italy ...
Eat more vegetables !

Orodaran

#11 Post by Orodaran » 28 Jun 2014 01:02

Nah, Brazil - Germany can happen as a semi-final, not a final...

The projected semifinals may be Brazil vs Germany / France and Argentina vs Netherlands / Mexico...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Frozen within

#12 Post by Frozen within » 03 Jul 2014 23:12

Much to my surprise Holland survived against a better organized Mexico ! This victory probably had much to do with the fitness of the Dutch players, since Mexico was nowhere to be seen basically after they scored fairly soon in the game and got completely overrun from there on. Other than that, there are no real surprises beside Costa Rica in this phase I think (no surprise that they eliminated the weak Greeks though).

So, we've got some delicious matches lined up ! Brazil vs Colombia is definitely the must see quarter final. I guess whoever wins this one (prolly Brazil, although Colombia made the strongest impression in their previous games) is going to take it all. I expect Germany to dispose of the French, although that certainly won't be an easy task for them. Argentina is in for a real test against Belgium, I don't know what to expect from this match at all ! And Holland has probably run out of luck by now and are fairly certain to fail against the (imho) true surprise of the tournament, Costa Rica.

I think it has been a wonderful tournament to watch so far, although the lack of good referees nowadays never became so painfully clear as during this same World Cup. I really hope Blatter fucks off soon and that finally modern technology and common sense will make their true entrance, to ensure that stolen victories and unpunished hard fouls will become a thing of the past.
Eat more vegetables !

Orodaran

#13 Post by Orodaran » 04 Jul 2014 00:56

Well, I'll root for Colombia, Germany, Holland and... depends, normally I'd like Belgium to win, but if Brazil is going to reach the final, I want Argentina to be there for the cruelest Maracanazo 2.0 ever :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Frozen within

#14 Post by Frozen within » 07 Jul 2014 23:56

So we've got the most cliche semi-finalists one could think of ... all beside Holland that is :)

Brazil, Germany and Argentina are all just as likely to win now. Especially with Brazil weakened by the loss of Neymar and the suspended Tiago Silva, it seems completely evenly matched to me. Fuck Colombia for resorting to such violence. I loved watching them play, but after what Zuniga did, I loved watching them getting kicked out even more. Also fuck Costa Rica for not even trying to win the game against the Dutch. They really impressed in their previous matches by daring play and good field position, but they never even gave it a shot last saturday, really sad imo. Germany didn't impress but they keep on winning anyway, and Argentina impressed even less but they're almost there as well. I expect it will be a reall treat to watch the last 3 matches (not gonna watch the losers' final (Holland - Brazil I guess :wink: )), and then it's over. Gonna need some rehab to get over that I suppose, I fucking loved the tournament despite everything !
Eat more vegetables !

Orodaran

#15 Post by Orodaran » 08 Jul 2014 00:10

Well, now that it's Europe vs South America, how lovely would it be to have Germany vs Holland in the final :P that way I will be happy regardless of the outcome 8)

If Brazil reaches the final, however, I just want a Maracanazo 2.0, if it happens thanks to Holland, awesome, but with Argentina it will be crueler for them. Let's hope that being without their captain and their star will seal their fate... also, the main reason why Germany never wins anything (Italy) is out this time, so they can really have a chance at it :P

And yeah, Zuniga is a butcher, buy Neymar is the boy who cried wolf. He's really, really great, but he always has been a whiny pussy who was always "dying" whenever someone was touching him. Well. pretend today you're hurt, pretend tomorrow you're hurt, one of these days you're gonna get hurt for real... and miss the two most important matches of your team. Have a nice and speedy recovery and piss off, as far as I'm concerned!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Dragonfly

#16 Post by Dragonfly » 09 Jul 2014 13:29

Well, that was phenomenal. I predicted that Brazil would score one goal but my estimate of Germany's attacking potential was a little bit far from the truth... :) Anyway, I almost envy Deutschlands Bevölkerung for having such a great national team. Really enjoy watching them play and wish them a victory!

EDIT: The guys must have been really happy yesterday :) .
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Orodaran

#17 Post by Orodaran » 11 Jul 2014 00:16

If Germany wins this (and at this point I hope so), I'm gonna celebrate by banning MordeKai 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Led Guardian

#18 Post by Led Guardian » 11 Jul 2014 07:05

Dragonfly wrote:I predict it this way:
Gold - Germany
Silver - Argentina
Bronze - Brazil

So far probably the best football tournament I've ever seen. My favourites are Germany, Uruguay, France and Russia. I also sympathize with African teams, it's high time they won something :)
You actually have a chance of being right.
Orodaran wrote:If Germany wins this (and at this point I hope so), I'm gonna celebrate by banning MordeKai 8)
But unfortunately, as before, and unlike the World Cup, it will take him less than 4 years to come back. :/

Anyway, no offense to the Germans on the board, but I'm pulling for Argentina. Nothing personal, I just think it will be hilarious if Argentina wins Brazil's World Cup. :P Along that same line, I'll root for the Dutchies in the losers match. I mean, might was well go for the hat trick of the Brazilian team's humiliation. :mrgreen:

No offense to any Brazilians here. I have nothing against Brazil or their team. I guess I just have a mean streak. :twisted:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Little Dragon

#19 Post by Little Dragon » 11 Jul 2014 09:13

Led Guardian wrote:
Orodaran wrote:If Germany wins this (and at this point I hope so), I'm gonna celebrate by banning MordeKai 8)
But unfortunately, as before, and unlike the World Cup, it will take him less than 4 years to come back. :/
We could just ban him again. ^^
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Frozen within

#20 Post by Frozen within » 14 Jul 2014 18:39

I thought it was an awesome final, and although Argentina put up a huge fight, I think overall Germany truly deserved to win the title. By the time Götze scored I think everyone was expecting another anti-climatic penalty shootout, I'm so glad it turned out otherwise ! Also, it was about time that a European country took the cup on South American soil, and nothing could have gone sweeter for Germany than to spank both Brazil AND Argentina, I mean GODDAMN :lol: It was a great tournament, I loved every minute of it. Can't wait for the next 4 years to pass by !

Now what the fuck am I supposed to do with my evenings .... :|
Eat more vegetables !

Isis65

#21 Post by Isis65 » 14 Jul 2014 19:17

..at the end, it's finished.
We announce to all lovers of beer that the Oktoberfest began last night and will finish in 4 years.
In the meantime, we will record an alarming increase in homicides in mixed families with a German spouse.
German people become crazy for this World Cup: this morning, some of them arrived at work at 9.03.

Of course, also our beloved BG celebrated the World Cup:

ok, a little bit better than Angela Merkel.
(maybe)

Well, only two years and then the European Cup.

I'm so happy.
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#22 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 14 Jul 2014 21:10

Orodaran wrote:I just want so bad to see another Maracanazo :lol:
well i hope you're satisfied sir,you got way more than what you wished for,plus now Brazil has TWO cursed stadiums,lol,forget the Maracanazo,Mineirazo,that's where's really at,a fucking disgrace for the Brazilian football team,the downfall of the "Jogo Bonito",or shall i say,the incredible demonstration of germans playing and showing Brazil,reminding them how detached this Scolari squad was of their own roots.This,amigo mio,is a thousand times worse than the Maracanazo,at least back in 1950,Brazil put quite a fight and only lost because Uruguay played probably that nation's best game ever...

But enough about Brazil,i haven't read most of this thread,so i'll just give out a general personal feel of this world cup

First of all,i am Brazilian,BUT,i live in Chile,so it's only fair for me to say that i wanted both teams to do good from the very begining.Despite the fact i was born in Brazil,i've come to love this country and it's passion for football,and especially the national team.I was very hopeful after the two first games,i even thought we'd get to skip brazil in the last-16 round,but hey,luck's a bitch and once again we were face to face against Chile's worst football nightmare...only tha this time,we actually put up a fight,Brazilians were crying right before the penalty shootout(wich in my eyes,is evidence that that group of Brazilians were not up to the level this time).We'll ,the chilean story ended that day,and that's that

now,as for other aspects of this world cup

In general,i loved it.

Holland kicked Spain's arse and gave them a little dose of reality "This is not 2010 anymore".Holland were really top notch up until the last-16 round,after that,i don't know what Van Gaal was thinking,it seemed to me he decided to play some sort of defensive,counter attack based football,and,just as brazil(not as tragically thogh),he turned his back on what we non dutch people consider Classic dutch football,beautifully played,relying mostly on speed and fast passing rather than waiting for the rival to make mistakes.From the moment they failed to beat Costa Rica,i just knew they weren't gonna make it to the final,because if you can't beat Costa Rica's defense,there's no way in hell you're gonna beat Argentina's defense,ever.

Argentina on the other hand,came to this world cup as favorites(as always),with a bunch of players that i consider the best south-american bunch these days(yes,these are not our best days,heh?).This was Messi's big oportunity,and in my eyes,he failed.The award he got was more a prize to even things between Fifa and Adidas and not even he thinks he deserves it.As a team,Argentina did ok,great passing skills and some nice south-americanesque speed changes,but of course,they came up short when finishing plays.I know Higuain is a highly overpaid player,and that, he kinda works as a league player,but what they needed exactly the opposite of that...for instance:Batistuta,Cannigia or even Tevez..each of them,when playing for the national team became total merciless attack monsters,Higuain on the other hand,seemed afraid,unsure of what to do with the ball...he is a world class striker,yet he only managed to put one goal into the net..not good Gonzalo,not good at all.

And well,Germany...oh the germans,the eternal candidates to win any football competition they ever enter..Gary Lineker once said "Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."..and i can't think of a more apt way to use this quote than this 2014 Fifa World Cup.They did their usual work of clockwork presicion,not a moment of despair in the most important matches and they played this game in the most beautiful way.

the final game,was probably the best final since the one in 1986,it was a well deserved prize for the germans effort over these last 12 years...and one thing,Klose became a legend and finally got to win this Cup,and i'm really glad for that.

So that's that,it's over...and i'm depresed because i will have to wait 4 years for this one month non stop football media hog thing to come back.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Gandalf de Grijze

#23 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 16 Jul 2014 13:28

waiting for your celebration... ;)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Orodaran

#24 Post by Orodaran » 18 Jul 2014 00:09

Well, my second team (Germany) won and I couldn't be happier! :D but I would have loved any underdog to win it: Holland first and foremost, but also Colombia or Chile would have been cool...

Italy sucked, but I guess that when you see Spain losing 5-1 and Brazil losing 7-1 you really see it as a kind of compensation :mrgreen: the only downside about Germany winning is that now they have 4 titles just like us, but hey, they deserved it and they planned their football resurgence way back... it's since 2006 that they always reach at least the semi-finals of the World Cup and the European Cup, and every time they lost only to Spain (champions of everything) and Italy (because they never ever won a match against us, every team has their nemesis, we are theirs).

And now I'm gonna spare MordeKai if he fixs up his goddamn location to not fuck up the board layout 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Frozen within

#25 Post by Frozen within » 27 Jul 2014 21:16

Have 4 years passed already ?

Getting impatient :evil:
Eat more vegetables !

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#26 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 28 Jul 2014 16:50

Frozen within wrote:Have 4 years passed already ?

Getting impatient :evil:
i know how you feel :( 4 fucking years,damn

i miss the world cup so much :evil:
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢