Wristbands eulogy

This is the section for national/regional topics, other topics intended for specific groups of people, as well as for any kind of spam or game topics (including "Now Playing" threads).
Orodaran

Wristbands eulogy

#1 Post by Orodaran » 01 Nov 2011 20:51

Today, on All Hallow's Eve 2011 or Allerheiligen as is written on my calendar bought in Germany, I decided to part ways with two of my festival wristbands: Blind Guardian Open Air 2003 (the one and only!!!) and Wacken 2004. Unlike more modern wristbands (the Wacken '07 one is doing just fine) time took its toll on them and they were hardly visible and frail in some points, to the point that I went for a respectful and dignified euthanasia rather than losing them when they would eventually just break in two.

Raise the horns those of you with still some wristbands at their arm, and salute all the fallen wristbands.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Frozen within

Re: Wristbands eulogy

#2 Post by Frozen within » 02 Nov 2011 13:42

I think the max number of tags I wore like 7 or 8 years ago was 7 at one point, collected in just over 2 years of visting festivals. For me it was no more than a phase and eventually I simply stopped liking what I saw in the mirror. It was no longer the way I wanted to present myself any longer, nor the way I wanted to be seen and possibly judged by others. I ditched the wristbands, stopped wearing bandshirts and I've been loving this more 'anonymous' style of living ever since :) To each his own, I understand the charm of having them on you 24/7 though.
Eat more vegetables !

End Of An Era

#3 Post by End Of An Era » 02 Nov 2011 21:13

still having 5 of last summer and 2010, i sometimes too feel the urge to cut them off. They can be kind of a handicap at sports for instance.. My wristbands usually only last two years before i 'euthanaise' them :P

Psycho69

#4 Post by Psycho69 » 03 Nov 2011 12:13

Should I say something? :P
Manowar! Mein Bier ist schon vader slayer!

End Of An Era

#5 Post by End Of An Era » 03 Nov 2011 23:00

Psycho69 wrote:Should I say something? :P
no, you just shut it :evil:

Envinyatar

#6 Post by Envinyatar » 04 Nov 2011 20:46

My Wacken 2005 one 'died' yesterday as well, so I removed it. Only 10 left (out of 13 I had once). But well, I somewhat decided to take them all off as soon as I've finished my studies.
Bubbles everywhere, raise your hands into the air, we're bubblers, bubblers of the world!
"Do you know what an aqueduct is?" - "It has something to do with water..." - "And...?" - "A duck?!"
"If I could speak the language of rabbits, they would be amazed, and I would be their king." -Raj
"The future is like a Japanese game show. You have no idea what's going on."
"Is space hot?" - "Of course it is, where else do you think we get pineapples from?"

Paha tipu!
Concert photography -> StageShots.net

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 04 Nov 2011 21:15

Well, I always had 3, so I never had an "overpopulation" issue on my arm... with time I came to regard them not much as "wristbands to sport out and show off that I'm a metalhead at all costs", bur rather as bracelets, which happened to be festivals wristbands. In facts I immediately replaced the two wristbands I removed with generic bracelets I got, just because I like having my wrist populated (and also 'cause I got used to it, I'd feel naked by now without anything on my wrist :P )
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Desert_Storm

#8 Post by Desert_Storm » 08 Nov 2011 21:30

Envinyatar wrote:My Wacken 2005 one 'died' yesterday as well, so I removed it. Only 10 left (out of 13 I had once). But well, I somewhat decided to take them all off as soon as I've finished my studies.
What a nice rite of passage ;)
Frozen within wrote:(...)It was no longer the way I wanted to present myself any longer, nor the way I wanted to be seen and possibly judged by others. (...)
Looking at your profile picture, I wonder what that way is now ;)
Orodaran wrote:Well, I always had 3, so I never had an "overpopulation" issue on my arm... with time I came to regard them not much as "wristbands to sport out and show off that I'm a metalhead at all costs", bur rather as bracelets, which happened to be festivals wristbands.
I do see some practical purposes in wearing them, e.g. as conversation starters with random people in pubs... "Hey! You've been there too?"
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Sentinel

#9 Post by Sentinel » 10 Nov 2011 14:57

Nice topic, Oro. And quite fitting as well, since my very first wristband (Wacken 2004) 'past away' yesterday. I also used to collect my wristbands (max number was 8 or so), but I got tired and annoyed of all the 'Wolle Petry"- jokes. (Wolfgang Petry; a german singer --> http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-image ... erless.jpg) and decided to cut them off, except for those which have a special meaning for me.

(I just realized that I've been way too long away from this board...my English sucks)
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

Psycho69

#10 Post by Psycho69 » 10 Nov 2011 16:10

Sentinel wrote: 'Wolle Petry"- jokes
I know what you mean.... :roll:
Manowar! Mein Bier ist schon vader slayer!

Isis65

#11 Post by Isis65 » 10 Nov 2011 22:14

requiem for the bracelets ... I will keep all the mine as relics in a box, you know, working in a hospital I can't have anything fixed to my arms or m hands, I don't wear not even a watch .... but though all the wristbands of concerts, festivals and motorcycle rallies rest happily in a drawer, and sometimes I look at them and I get lost in the memories ....
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

End Of An Era

#12 Post by End Of An Era » 10 Nov 2011 23:04

^+1 :) I also have all of the removed wristbands. As well as most of my festival and concert tickets :P

Little Dragon

#13 Post by Little Dragon » 11 Nov 2011 12:24

Sentinel wrote:Nice topic, Oro. And quite fitting as well, since my very first wristband (Wacken 2004) 'past away' yesterday. I also used to collect my wristbands (max number was 8 or so), but I got tired and annoyed of all the 'Wolle Petry"- jokes. (Wolfgang Petry; a german singer --> http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-image ... erless.jpg) and decided to cut them off, except for those which have a special meaning for me.

(I just realized that I've been way too long away from this board...my English sucks)
glad to see you are still alive ;) you need to come to the reunion in january, nice opportunity to practice and get drunk, see friends and all that stuff :mrgreen:

@topic: one day i removed all of them, because they got dirty and i couldn't get them clean again. now i only keep the pretty ones on my wrist and the rest in a box ;)
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Sarah

#14 Post by Sarah » 11 Nov 2011 15:42

Yay ! Matze is around :)

About the wristbands, all of mine are gone, Had to cut them as they really looked rogue, but kept them all somewhere, have no idea why though. It's not like i can ever put them "on display" or somewhere else than a little box. But i guess i just don't want to let go of all the nice memories they're synonymous of !

More than the bands, the festivals ALL completely rocked :)
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Isis65

#15 Post by Isis65 » 12 Nov 2011 11:08

End Of An Era wrote:^+1 :) I also have all of the removed wristbands. As well as most of my festival and concert tickets :P
I've lost a lot of my old concert tickets during a move....it was really painful...
Sarah wrote: ....But i guess i just don't want to let go of all the nice memories they're synonymous of !
the same for me.
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

(old wise) bombadil

#16 Post by (old wise) bombadil » 13 Nov 2011 23:33

My Wacken and Bang Your Head (+ other less relevant festival) wristbands were in perfect shape, unfortunately I've been submitted to surgery last february and the surgeon cut them all away (even though the operation was located on my back, he said that action was compulsory to keep the area sterilezed....) :?

Sob :(
You're not going to change the world by hating music you don't like... I'm the Stranger

Sentinel

#17 Post by Sentinel » 14 Nov 2011 13:15

Little Dragon wrote: glad to see you are still alive ;) you need to come to the reunion in january, nice opportunity to practice and get drunk, see friends and all that stuff :mrgreen:

@topic: one day i removed all of them, because they got dirty and i couldn't get them clean again. now i only keep the pretty ones on my wrist and the rest in a box ;)
Yeah, I'm alive and doing well. Life's been pretty busy in the last year (the fact that I've lost about 20kg should speak for itself...). I don't know yet, if I'm able to visit you guys in January. It mainly depends on money and my courses.

Yep, I also collect my wristbands in a box. Sometimes, when life is getting out of control , it's nice to look at them, remember the good times and thus gathering new energy to carry on. ;)
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

Envinyatar

#18 Post by Envinyatar » 15 Nov 2011 10:34

(old wise) bombadil wrote:unfortunately I've been submitted to surgery last february and the surgeon cut them all away (even though the operation was located on my back, he said that action was compulsory to keep the area sterilezed....)
Interesting, I was a few weeks in ICU this summer and even there they let me keep them (ok, I complained a lot ;)).

Ok, mine won't be there too much longer, but I'm glad most of them are loose enough so I don't really need to cut them off to take them off eventually.
Bubbles everywhere, raise your hands into the air, we're bubblers, bubblers of the world!
"Do you know what an aqueduct is?" - "It has something to do with water..." - "And...?" - "A duck?!"
"If I could speak the language of rabbits, they would be amazed, and I would be their king." -Raj
"The future is like a Japanese game show. You have no idea what's going on."
"Is space hot?" - "Of course it is, where else do you think we get pineapples from?"

Paha tipu!
Concert photography -> StageShots.net

Gandalf de Grijze

#19 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 15 Nov 2011 10:55

I can't keep mine because of my work... kindof sucks
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

t.a.j.

#20 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Nov 2011 10:56

I sewed them onto my Kutte.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Gandalf de Grijze

#21 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 15 Nov 2011 11:10

whose pussy?
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

t.a.j.

#22 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Nov 2011 11:14

Dude, read! Mine!
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Gandalf de Grijze

#23 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 15 Nov 2011 11:36

hey.. even your pussy could belong to someone else

Ligandil

#24 Post by Ligandil » 14 Mar 2012 21:14

well, I've only been to 1 festival, that was 2011 Tuska, and I keep my wristband... I though I was the only weirdy guy keeping them :D :D

Mandarb

#25 Post by Mandarb » 24 Mar 2012 23:09

*laments the loss of his Blind Guardian Open Air drinking cup* *curses his mother for throwing it away* "You don't need that silly stuff" :cry:
A guinness a day keeps the doctor away!

He is not drunk who from the floor can rise again and drink some more. But he is drunk who prostrate lies and cannot drink and cannot rise.

I.c.e Motion

#26 Post by I.c.e Motion » 29 Apr 2012 10:49

I keep all my wristbands around.. don't wear any of them anymore.. I think I had about 8 from Wacken and the likes before I cut those off.. and sometimes I reach that number again, by just visiting one festival :P (being photographer at the Zwarte Cross has it's perks.. I get about 8 wristbands and can access pretty much the entire festival including the stages and stuff.. :P I can actually say I have shared the stage with Epica for instance ;) )
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning" - Calvin without Hobbes

www.icemotion.nl

Dentarthurdent

#27 Post by Dentarthurdent » 29 Apr 2012 18:31

Mandarb wrote:*laments the loss of his Blind Guardian Open Air drinking cup* *curses his mother for throwing it away* "You don't need that silly stuff" :cry:
I think they still got those in the webshop.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect