Truly Trivial Trial

This is the section for national/regional topics, other topics intended for specific groups of people, as well as for any kind of spam or game topics (including "Now Playing" threads).
Message
Author
User avatar
Joost
Posts: 3799
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 17:54
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

Re: Truly Trivial Trial

#301 Post by Joost » 29 Oct 2014 10:47

The amount of yeast put in?

(At least it's not a measure of the bitterness, which is measured by the IBU scale. And here in Poland somehow they list two percentages on bottles of beer, of which one is always larger than the alcohol percentage... still a bit mysterious to me, but again it's not degrees Plato.)
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

User avatar
Sleeping Dragon
Posts: 1373
Joined: 30 Jun 2003 12:14
Location: In The Hooooo-Lyyyyy-Laaaaand...
Contact:

Re: Truly Trivial Trial

#302 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 29 Oct 2014 14:17

Well, since it's named after a philosopher; is it the rate at which a set amount of beer releases its carbonated gasses into the room?
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Truly Trivial Trial

#303 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 29 Oct 2014 18:27

Joost wrote:The amount of yeast put in?

(At least it's not a measure of the bitterness, which is measured by the IBU scale. And here in Poland somehow they list two percentages on bottles of beer, of which one is always larger than the alcohol percentage... still a bit mysterious to me, but again it's not degrees Plato.)

Actually the 2nd percentage could very well be the degrees Plato, which sometimes is being reported as a percentage. In the Netherlands though the amount of degrees Plato (or the percentage of which it is that is measured ;) ) isn't allowed to be mentioned on the labels, thus here we have a categorization (S, I, II or III).
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

User avatar
Sentinel
Posts: 1463
Joined: 08 Dec 2002 11:14
Location: Fighting on the battlefield of life
Contact:

Re: Truly Trivial Trial

#304 Post by Sentinel » 29 Oct 2014 21:03

Then it has to be the original wort.
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

User avatar
Gandalf de Grijze
Posts: 13916
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 18:01
Location: Dutchielandia
Contact:

Re: Truly Trivial Trial

#305 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 29 Oct 2014 23:37

Close enough
It is the density of the wort, in particular the density of the sucrose, from which the brewer can derive how much useful "food" there is to ferment
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

User avatar
Joost
Posts: 3799
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 17:54
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

Re: Truly Trivial Trial

#306 Post by Joost » 04 Nov 2014 00:08

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
Joost wrote:The amount of yeast put in?

(At least it's not a measure of the bitterness, which is measured by the IBU scale. And here in Poland somehow they list two percentages on bottles of beer, of which one is always larger than the alcohol percentage... still a bit mysterious to me, but again it's not degrees Plato.)

Actually the 2nd percentage could very well be the degrees Plato, which sometimes is being reported as a percentage. In the Netherlands though the amount of degrees Plato (or the percentage of which it is that is measured ;) ) isn't allowed to be mentioned on the labels, thus here we have a categorization (S, I, II or III).
Yup, it looks like you're right. With the help of the Polish Wikipedia and Google Translate I found out that this percentage is indeed the density of the wort, which apparently is given either as a percentage, or in degrees Plato, or in degrees Balling (and the three of those are all virtually identical).

Somehow I always thought that the categorizations (I, II, III) in the Netherlands somehow reflected the alcohol level, similar to the various categories of beer in e.g. Sweden...

But I guess Sentinel can be considered as the winner of this question...
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

User avatar
Joost
Posts: 3799
Joined: 16 Aug 2002 17:54
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

Re: Truly Trivial Trial

#307 Post by Joost » 04 Nov 2014 20:38

In the meanwhile, continuing the beer topic... after reading this article I have come to the conclusion that I definitely should pay a visit to Lithuania some day:

http://www.norwegian.com/magazine/featu ... lithuanian
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

User avatar
Sentinel
Posts: 1463
Joined: 08 Dec 2002 11:14
Location: Fighting on the battlefield of life
Contact:

Re: Truly Trivial Trial

#308 Post by Sentinel » 25 Nov 2014 19:05

Ok, my turn.

Entertainment

Which actor was "responsible" for the death of Brandon Lee during the shooting of "The Crow"?
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests