BG Melbourne Meet Up

This is the section for national/regional topics, other topics intended for specific groups of people, as well as for any kind of spam or game topics (including "Now Playing" threads).
Aussie_Bard

BG Melbourne Meet Up

#1 Post by Aussie_Bard » 17 Nov 2006 02:36

Hey all you aussie fans out there.

Just thought i'd make this thread so everyone can get to know each other alittle better for a meet up at the BG Melbourne shows. Some of you may already know each other, but this will be alot easier then cluttering up the thread in the "Tour" section.

First of all my name is Anwar, I live in Melbourne so I wont have to travel as far to go to the shows. I'm thinking we should all meet up at a local pub. There is a great place across from Federation Square called "Young & Jackson", i've been there afew times and it's a great place. If anyone has some other good ideas for a meet up, please share cos im sure there is heaps of other great pubs around the local area for a meet up.
"The more famous I get, the more I am tolerated, albeit with some head-shaking." - H.R. Giger

http://www.metalobsession.net

Bard_88

#2 Post by Bard_88 » 17 Nov 2006 02:44

Yeah I've been there a few times too 8) ...it's a preety good place too because it's not usually as crowded as say Elephant and the Wheelbarrow or Bridie O'Reily's...

Aussie_Bard

#3 Post by Aussie_Bard » 17 Nov 2006 16:09

BaRd_88 wrote:Yeah I've been there a few times too 8) ...it's a preety good place too because it's not usually as crowded as say Elephant and the Wheelbarrow or Bridie O'Reily's...
Yeah thats what I was thinking, plus it's not to far from the venue so when we finish up at the pub we can just cross the road and walk down passed Federation Square to the venue.
"The more famous I get, the more I am tolerated, albeit with some head-shaking." - H.R. Giger

Haldamir

#4 Post by Haldamir » 18 Nov 2006 08:50

Well I just joined to talk to you guys. I'm from Brisbane, got tickets to both shows. I'm going to fly down for like 4 days. I have no idea where the Forum is or the pub you mentioned but I would love to drink with you guys before the gig.

Aussie_Bard

#5 Post by Aussie_Bard » 18 Nov 2006 12:16

Haldamir wrote:Well I just joined to talk to you guys. I'm from Brisbane, got tickets to both shows. I'm going to fly down for like 4 days. I have no idea where the Forum is or the pub you mentioned but I would love to drink with you guys before the gig.
Don't worry mate, i'll post up the info needed in the next few days.

I don't know if anyone saw my post in the Tour section but I had a chance to talk with Nick from Metal Mayhem today about the signing. He's still working stuff out, but don't get your hopes up just yet...he needs to get afew things out of the way first.

I'll post the info as soon as it's given to me.

There is also some fliers buzzing around town for the show, I took a handfull and gave them to Paul Haug at the Elizabeth JB Hifi. There is quite a substantional amount at Metal Mayhem, so if any one heads into the city in the coming weeks take afew and hand them around town...im hoping to take some to the upcoming Gamma Ray show as not many people know the BG shows is even on.

It's shocking to see how dodgey the advertisment has been for both shows, Paul Haug was pretty angry cos he said no one has mentioned anything and only the hardcore fans know about the shows...hopefully we can all do our part and spread the news about the shows. :)

Haldamir

#6 Post by Haldamir » 18 Nov 2006 20:15

Aussie_Bard wrote: It's shocking to see how dodgey the advertisment has been for both shows, Paul Haug was pretty angry cos he said no one has mentioned anything and only the hardcore fans know about the shows...hopefully we can all do our part and spread the news about the shows. :)
Yeah, the anouncement of the shows kinda came out of the blue. Though I was Hanging around here for news about it. Hopefully they advertise a bit more in the next month or so, the shows don't need to sell out quickly. I'm trying to get some friends to come down to see them, but going 1500 kms to see them is a bit of a deterent for them...cheap bastards :D

JACK

#7 Post by JACK » 19 Nov 2006 02:03

where can i get tickets?

i only just found out cause of this topic so uh thanks heaps for posting it.
King of The Slaughter House

You will see a cow on a roof.............
I am still the bread.

Bard_88

#8 Post by Bard_88 » 19 Nov 2006 02:06

There is also some fliers buzzing around town for the show, I took a handfull and gave them to Paul Haug at the Elizabeth JB Hifi. There is quite a substantional amount at Metal Mayhem, so if any one heads into the city in the coming weeks take afew and hand them around town...im hoping to take some to the upcoming Gamma Ray show as not many people know the BG shows is even on.
Hey good work dude :) ...I'm sure the bards would appreciate what your doing as well as all us Aussie fans...I think I might to have to get a hold of them fliers...

JACK

#9 Post by JACK » 19 Nov 2006 02:10

yeah it's ok I've got my tickets yeah young and jacksons is the joint for a meet up nigga. Grab some lady boys and say hello to each other.

I am still the bread.

Bard_88

#10 Post by Bard_88 » 19 Nov 2006 02:11

where can i get tickets?

i only just found out cause of this topic so uh thanks heaps for posting it.
Any ticketek outlets...Metal Mayhem on Flinders st...the ticketek website if your registered...and I believe you can organize them over the phone...the ticketek number is 132 849...

JACK

#11 Post by JACK » 19 Nov 2006 02:40

I'll be going to the second show...i think can't decide not going to both

I am still the bread.

Stormster

#12 Post by Stormster » 20 Nov 2006 02:24

Great idea Anwar. If it wasnt you it would have been me organising it. Make sure u get over to BDU (http://www.beastdownunder.proboards74.com) and tell everyone overthere about it too!

Haldamir

Re: BG Melbourne Meet Up

#13 Post by Haldamir » 20 Nov 2006 16:05

Aussie_Bard wrote: I'm thinking we should all meet up at a local pub. There is a great place across from Federation Square called "Young & Jackson", i've been there afew times and it's a great place. If anyone has some other good ideas for a meet up, please share cos im sure there is heaps of other great pubs around the local area for a meet up.
I just checked out where that is, you're right its really close.

emeraldswwwwword!

#14 Post by emeraldswwwwword! » 22 Nov 2006 16:20

I'm up for meeting up, and as for advertising... has there even been any? god, I'd put up posters myself for free if i could get my hands on 'em(okay, I might keep one for myself :P )
Come with me and join me, a new life's waiting for you. Jump through the mirror, leave fear behind...

Haldamir

#15 Post by Haldamir » 23 Nov 2006 14:06

Got my tickets in the mail today WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo.

Bard_88

#16 Post by Bard_88 » 25 Nov 2006 05:07

Only 53 days to go... :D
"YES I AM !...I AM THE PERFECT GENTLEMAN !"

sleepstalker

#17 Post by sleepstalker » 27 Nov 2006 16:33

:D :P yes.

stuey

#18 Post by stuey » 27 Nov 2006 19:18

Young & Jackson gets my vote for sure, good pub & as central to everything as you can get! Although if anyone else is travelling from Sydney on Jetstars midday flight (friday feb 16!), I,d be more than happy to have a beer in the bar before boarding!

Haldamir

#19 Post by Haldamir » 28 Nov 2006 15:46

Oh yeah, which day is everyone going to...i'm going to both.

stuey

#20 Post by stuey » 28 Nov 2006 18:36

Was originally only going down for the 2nd show, because the 1st night would,ve been a clash of my AFL team playing in Sydney, but then figured that to travel down for just 1 show would be fairly pointless under the circumstances of the 2 shows 1 city situation that we have. Also my interest in that footy game is now more about the social aspect & how much I can drink rather than the game itself, so Blind Guardian can take me away from this game no probs! Also Haldamir, I know you,ll be with me on this as you,re travelling from Brisbane. If the tragedy was to unfortunately be bestowed upon us & the shows are cancelled, we should raise hell with the promoters & get them to refund our plane tickets, on the basis of their stupidity for not scheduling shows in Syd & Bris!!!!! Sound good!!

Aussie_Bard

#21 Post by Aussie_Bard » 29 Nov 2006 13:59

Haldamir wrote:Oh yeah, which day is everyone going to...i'm going to both.
I reckon we all meet up on Saturday cos alot of people will have to work and what not, so this will be alot easier for people. Plus if your not to fimilar with the area you can come up early and hang around the pub for everyone else. It's actually quite easy to get there, all you have to do is go out the front enterance of Flinders street station (which is across the road from Federation Square). Once out the front you'll see Young and Jackson's...if you think your lost, look up and you'll see a channel 7 billboard. When you see that you will know your there.

I went to the city last week to check out the venue and afew other things, still no word on the meet n' greet but im seeing my mate who works at Metal Mayhem this week to buy some cd's, so i'll see if there has been any update since last time.

Here is a pic of the forum for those that don't know what it looks like, it's pretty easy to find. It's like 2 minutes from Young & Jacksons.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m177 ... ity041.jpg

I'll post some more info as the days get closer. Im sure you all know that my mate from the LORD/Dungeon forum is working on a tourbus for people who don't want to fork out for plane tickets, seems everything is going well there.

Tickets seems to be selling at Ticketek and MM, so I assume people have finally realised that their not going to Sydney. I'm sure as the days get even closer that all the tickets will be sold in one swoop.

Haldamir

#22 Post by Haldamir » 30 Nov 2006 14:10

stuey wrote:Was originally only going down for the 2nd show, because the 1st night would,ve been a clash of my AFL team playing in Sydney, but then figured that to travel down for just 1 show would be fairly pointless under the circumstances of the 2 shows 1 city situation that we have. Also my interest in that footy game is now more about the social aspect & how much I can drink rather than the game itself, so Blind Guardian can take me away from this game no probs! Also Haldamir, I know you,ll be with me on this as you,re travelling from Brisbane. If the tragedy was to unfortunately be bestowed upon us & the shows are cancelled, we should raise hell with the promoters & get them to refund our plane tickets, on the basis of their stupidity for not scheduling shows in Syd & Bris!!!!! Sound good!!
Yeah, I saw no point in travelling 1500 km for one show. If they cancel the shows...well lets just say i will be very angry. You don't want to see me angry :D

Oh, and footy in mid feb, what the?

Haldamir

#23 Post by Haldamir » 30 Nov 2006 14:23

Aussie_Bard wrote: I went to the city last week to check out the venue and afew other things, still no word on the meet n' greet but im seeing my mate who works at Metal Mayhem this week to buy some cd's, so i'll see if there has been any update since last time.

Here is a pic of the forum for those that don't know what it looks like, it's pretty easy to find. It's like 2 minutes from Young & Jacksons.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m177 ... ity041.jpg

Tickets seems to be selling at Ticketek and MM, so I assume people have finally realised that their not going to Sydney. I'm sure as the days get even closer that all the tickets will be sold in one swoop.
Well, the Forum looks great, hopefully I will be staying a couple of blocks away. If the 'meet n' greet' goes ahead, how do i get in? and how many tickets do you think have sold so far? I ask because i convinced a friend to make the journey with me but hes not buying tickets for a couple weeks.

stuey

#24 Post by stuey » 30 Nov 2006 18:27

Was down in Melbourne back in April & went & saw Opeth at the forum. Liked the venue, even though i was right at the back because I arrived late.
Will catch up with anyone who wants a drink before the show & after the show on both days! Whatever reason I,m in Melbourne for, beer & bourbon always goes down well!
Footy in feb story is that Essendon (my team) travels up each year for an annual practice match against Sydney. Never missed a game since the 1st one in 2001, but as i,m certain next years game will be fri feb 16, thats all about to change! Apart from the no syd show ( which i,ve promised myself not to crap on about anymore!) the other hard luck story for me is that if the shows were the following weekend, I could,ve actually watched Essendon play, then catch a tram round to the forum and the timing would,ve been perfect! No AFL games on Blind Guardian weekend, so the shows don,t go ahead, i,ve got nothing to fall back on! When your airfare is non- refundable! Oh shit! Strip Joints are better in Melb though now I think about it!!

Bard_88

#25 Post by Bard_88 » 01 Dec 2006 05:24

Haldamir wrote:
Oh yeah, which day is everyone going to...i'm going to both.
I reckon we all meet up on Saturday cos alot of people will have to work and what not, so this will be alot easier for people. Plus if your not to fimilar with the area you can come up early and hang around the pub for everyone else. It's actually quite easy to get there, all you have to do is go out the front enterance of Flinders street station (which is across the road from Federation Square). Once out the front you'll see Young and Jackson's...if you think your lost, look up and you'll see a channel 7 billboard. When you see that you will know your there.

I went to the city last week to check out the venue and afew other things, still no word on the meet n' greet but im seeing my mate who works at Metal Mayhem this week to buy some cd's, so i'll see if there has been any update since last time.

Why not have it on Friday and Saturday ?

Haldamir

#26 Post by Haldamir » 01 Dec 2006 12:04

stuey wrote:When your airfare is non- refundable! Oh shit! Strip Joints are better in Melb though now I think about it!!
I'm pretty sure mine are refundable. Who are you flying with?

stuey

#27 Post by stuey » 01 Dec 2006 20:22

Flying Jetstar,s Sydney to Melb service. Which means you end up landing at Avalon, which means you fly over the city of Melb, then you just keep going and going until you land in the middle of nowhere, then you spend almost as long getting back into the city on the bus than the actual flight time!!

stuey

#28 Post by stuey » 04 Dec 2006 20:06

Thought I,ll throw out a suggestion for meeting up in Melbourne.
As Young & Jacksons will be no doubt packed from 5pm onwards on the friday, how about finding another decent pub not to far away that wouldn,t have as many people, therefore having a more relaxed & enjoyable atmosphere? Then go to Young & Jacksons on the Sat nite when there isn,t droves of people drinking after work! Thinking that would be a fair idea, especially if there is a large number of people who want to meet up!

Bard_88

#29 Post by Bard_88 » 04 Dec 2006 23:46

stuey Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 13:06 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I,ll throw out a suggestion for meeting up in Melbourne.
As Young & Jacksons will be no doubt packed from 5pm onwards on the friday, how about finding another decent pub not to far away that wouldn,t have as many people, therefore having a more relaxed & enjoyable atmosphere? Then go to Young & Jacksons on the Sat nite when there isn,t droves of people drinking after work! Thinking that would be a fair idea, especially if there is a large number of people who want to meet up!
Hey you've got a point there Stuey. But the problem is it's preety hard finding a pub which is not packed on a Friday night in the CBD :wink: . But Young & Jacksons isn't too bad and should be alright around 5pm

etimodnar

#30 Post by etimodnar » 24 Dec 2006 15:21

uh, resurrects thread,

Hi, I'm coming from Perth, and have never been to Melbourne before in my life.

I'm all for meeting people in Melbourne. I'm also looking for some advise.

i.e best way to get from air-port to CBD (bus, taxi?), best cheap place to stay (where's the nearest back-packers?) etc

Please help! :D

Aussie_Bard

#31 Post by Aussie_Bard » 24 Dec 2006 16:03

etimodnar wrote:uh, resurrects thread,

Hi, I'm coming from Perth, and have never been to Melbourne before in my life.

I'm all for meeting people in Melbourne. I'm also looking for some advise.

i.e best way to get from air-port to CBD (bus, taxi?), best cheap place to stay (where's the nearest back-packers?) etc

Please help! :D
Ok first things first. If you want to get out of the airport quick an easy go with the airport bus, they drop people off all the way down to Mornington (which is where I live, about an hours drive to Melbourne). I forgot the cost but I think it's around $30, they have a trailer attached at the back so if you have any large bags you'll have no probs with storing it. The bus hold around 13 people, but there is useally 5 buses out the front every 30 mins so you'll always get to catch one. Check the airport website for times and more details.
http://www.melbourne-airport.com.au/

Now with places to stay there is a huge selection in Melbourne, there seems to be a backpapaers hostel every block or so, so you wont have any probs finding a good place to sleep.

Have a look at this website, it will tell you all the places in the local area, prices, quality etc.
http://www.melbourneconnection.com/

...this one is good also.
http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/au ... melbourne/

You'll be around Federation Square, so anywhere near Elizabeth street to Carlton is a good place since it's so close to where the venue is. I think you can also get a room near the Espy. I think there is a place called the "Pink Elephant" or "Elphant Wheelbarrow", you'll have to look it up...but i think thats the name.

Hope that helped you out dude.

etimodnar

#32 Post by etimodnar » 24 Dec 2006 18:03

Awesome, thank you! :D

Bard_88

#33 Post by Bard_88 » 25 Dec 2006 06:17

Any new updates on the possible BG instore Aussie_Bard ?

Aussie_Bard

#34 Post by Aussie_Bard » 26 Dec 2006 17:05

BaRd_88 wrote:Any new updates on the possible BG instore Aussie_Bard ?
I'm hopefully talking to Nick on sunday, he said their trying there best to work it all out. But we'll know soon enough. They'll have to get their act together since the show is only 50 something days away.

He only mentioned one signing, which would be on the friday. I dont know how keen people are to come to it, but i assume it will be around midday or early afternoon. So if you really want to meet them I would make sure you come here the day before so you got a spot out of Metal Mayhem since BG only want 250 people at the signing cos of time restrictions. From what Nick told me the signing will only go for about 70 minutes or so. That gives enough time for everyone to sign one or two items and maybe get their pic taken with the guys.

BG approached Metal Mayhem about the signing, so im sure it will be on since they asked for it. It's abit silly having 4 security guards there, useally at all signing people are pretty good. You sometimes get one or two dickheads who want to cut inline, but fuck em'...their not going to spoil the day.

You'll all know whats going on by the new year. :)

Bard_88

#35 Post by Bard_88 » 27 Dec 2006 04:03

Awesome. Thanks for the update :) That way after the instore (assuming it takes place) everyone can walk over up to Young and Jackson's or any other place nearby for a few drinks.

etimodnar

#36 Post by etimodnar » 27 Dec 2006 16:56

*beats head against desk*
pick me! *waves hand in air excitedly!*
I want to come to a signing, memememe.
I want to meet Blind Guardian

*will threaten tears*

*probably wont follow through with threat*

*hyperventilates*

squeee!!1!

stuey

#37 Post by stuey » 28 Dec 2006 11:53

If it was up to me Etimodnar, you,d be at the very front of the queue! Travelling from Perth & spending shitloads of money for just one show, you certainly deserve it!! Appears that i,ll be flying down when it,s on! Ah well! Shit happens!
Wondering if there is any all you eat buffet restaurants in the Melbourne CBD, excluding the Melb Bar & Bistro on Elizabeth St & Crown? Will want a big late lunch/ early dinner about 4pm, so if anyone knows of such a place that will be open at that time then please let me know. From memory, Young & Jacksons food menu is mainly bar snacks, but will eat there if i,m incorrect & they do a decent feed! The previously mentioned Bar & Bistro is the last resort, hoping to get a better suggestion from one of you Melbournites!

etimodnar

#38 Post by etimodnar » 29 Dec 2006 04:35

The talk that I hear about Melbourne makes me believe that every second store is actually a restaurant in the CBD. Should have no problems finding a place! :D

aren't I helpful! lol

Bard_88

#39 Post by Bard_88 » 29 Dec 2006 08:35

etimodnar wrote:The talk that I hear about Melbourne makes me believe that every second store is actually a restaurant in the CBD. Should have no problems finding a place! :D

aren't I helpful! lol
Every second store ?...That would have to be 7 11's :lol: But yes, there are alot of places to eat...I can't think of any all you can eat buffet of the top of my head but I might get back to you on that one Stuey...And yeah etimodnar...you would be first to meet the bards in my books too...it must suck missing out on so many acts in WA...

etimodnar

#40 Post by etimodnar » 29 Dec 2006 17:05

meh, most of them I can deal with not having seen in my lifetime. But Blind Guardian!!! Gah! GAH!! How could I NOT see them!?!?

Besides, I love Perth too much too worry about what I'm missing out on.

Cept Blind Guardian. I don't love Perth THAT much. My love for BG far exceeds love for Perth.

I can't think of any 7 11's in Perth. I don't think we have any. Any Sizzlers nearby? They have a good buffet, and do great steak.... mmmm... steak.... want steak.... have no steak, :( *eats Christmas lunch leftovers instead* mmm... leftovers. Yum!

Bard_88

#41 Post by Bard_88 » 30 Dec 2006 01:32

hmm....Sizzlers...Didn't they go out of business...There is a same sort of thing called Smorgy's which is all you can eat but they are a little bit out of the CBD...

etimodnar

#42 Post by etimodnar » 30 Dec 2006 04:37

not in Perth... there are a couple of sizzlers in Perth. Another reason why Perth is great

stuey

#43 Post by stuey » 30 Dec 2006 10:10

Sizzler restaurants almost entirely disappeared overnight! Believe that once upon a time, Victoria was thriving with them until out of the blue they all closed! Almost the same in NSW except they decided to keep a few open!! Love sizzler as well & would,ve been the ideal feed I was after! Wont worry about all you can eat now. Will settle for a giant steak with salad or vegies instead (or the food they dish out at the melbourne bar & bistro!)
Having New Years party at my place, but there will be no BG played! Terrible! Although having a day off from listening to them wont kill me! (I hope!)
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!!

etimodnar

#44 Post by etimodnar » 30 Dec 2006 16:01

Much in the same way as Lone Star. But then, I heard an urban myth about Lone Star. Aparently, this women took home a portion of steak and ate it at home, and got food poisoning. She took it into a lab to see what was wrong with it and they found 5 men's semen on it.

ew.

Anyway,
I too will settle for anywhere that sells not-expensive, big tasty steak. Done rare, with a side of chips and salad.

oooh, I want steak!

stuey

#45 Post by stuey » 31 Dec 2006 07:24

Maybe we should organize a meeting place before going to Young & Jacksons that serves big but reasonbly priced steaks!!!!

etimodnar

#46 Post by etimodnar » 01 Jan 2007 07:42

I hope all these html tags work, sometimes this forum doesn't like me for them.

ok, a map of the area with the places represented by a blue dot nd the name of the place next to it. More information can be found by clicking the links below

European Bier Cafe
Yak Bar and Food
Imperial Hotel

Those are a couple of places to eat that looked good.

Bard_88

#47 Post by Bard_88 » 01 Jan 2007 07:54

Happy new year guys :)...As for places to eat if you just go for a walk down Soutbank next to crown you will find something decent there are plenty of places around that area...

Aussie_Bard

#48 Post by Aussie_Bard » 01 Jan 2007 16:47

Happy new year y'all. 8)

Crown casino has some buffet sorta resturants, don't worry they'll be in your price range. :P If you like Chinese food there is a really good one down Bourke street which is not to far from Federation Square. I think it's about $9 and it's all you can eat...or until you throw up. :P

I do remember seeing a buffet restuarant in Crown, I don't know if that was part of the hotel section, but Im sure you'll find something good. You could also take the tram down to St. Kilda and get something there, they have some pretty nice places down there but the cover charge is abit pricey.

But as everyone else said there is always something on each corner street. so you wont go hungry.

Stormster

#49 Post by Stormster » 04 Jan 2007 22:39

Anwar, did you get my myspace PM i sent you?

Anyways people. Im Adrian. From Sydney, coming down for both shows. Behind Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian are my favourite band and i absolutely cannot wait.

Anwar whats that hostel people were talking about on the LORD forum, being only a block away from the forum or something. M,an, i'm buying you plenty of alco when i get down, rock on BG!

Aussie_Bard

#50 Post by Aussie_Bard » 05 Jan 2007 08:59

Stormster wrote:Anwar, did you get my myspace PM i sent you?

Anyways people. Im Adrian. From Sydney, coming down for both shows. Behind Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian are my favourite band and i absolutely cannot wait.

Anwar whats that hostel people were talking about on the LORD forum, being only a block away from the forum or something. M,an, i'm buying you plenty of alco when i get down, rock on BG!
Yeah dude, I got it. I sent you one back...didn't you get it? I'll be sending some cash up next week if need be.

I know there is afew hostels near the forum, I don't know which one they meant but you could check the site i posted afew posts up, they have all the hostels and hotels in the local area. If things work out you could probably crash at my place with Emmz. Dougie was going to stay, but he hasn't replied back in awhile and seems to want to bring some friends which I may not be able to accomidate since I only have room for 2, maybe 3 people.

I'll have a talk with the lord of cheese tonight and see what he's doing, i'll let you know as soon as i know whats going on.