What book are you reading?

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Ripley

#951 Post by Ripley » 12 Mar 2009 09:01

@ArwenArianna: Maybe I should take a closer look at Nightwatch...
What you said about Otherland is quite true... :roll:
In the beginning it's just confusing, but in the meantime things start getting clearer and clearer, but still I wouldn't bet how it will end.
Another thing is Tad Williams' affinity to bring one storyline to a really interesting point and then he seems to think "And now to something completely different" and he continues somewhere else. AAARGH.
That really made me mad while reading The Dragonbone Chair

Arwen Arianna

#952 Post by Arwen Arianna » 12 Mar 2009 11:56

Ripley wrote:@ArwenArianna: Maybe I should take a closer look at Nightwatch...
do that ;)
Another thing is Tad Williams' affinity to bring one storyline to a really interesting point and then he seems to think "And now to something completely different" and he continues somewhere else. AAARGH.
that is SO true! >.<
I recently got a copy of "Shadowmarch". Do you know if it's any good? (stupid question to ask now that got it, I know :roll: )
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

Sentinel

#953 Post by Sentinel » 12 Mar 2009 12:02

About Otherland: So I´m not the only one who finds the "beginning" confusing. After about 200 pages I was like "WTF??" and lay the book aside. By now I´m reading the Arthur-Chronicles by Cromwell and after that I might give Otherland another chance. ;)
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

Arwen Arianna

#954 Post by Arwen Arianna » 12 Mar 2009 12:19

Sentinel wrote:About Otherland: So I´m not the only one who finds the "beginning" confusing. After about 200 pages I was like "WTF??" and lay the book aside. By now I´m reading the Arthur-Chronicles by Cromwell and after that I might give Otherland another chance. ;)
lol, almost everyone quits at that point...several friends of mine, my mom..me as well :P
But it's worth reading the rest.
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!

Sentinel

#955 Post by Sentinel » 12 Mar 2009 13:06

People keep telling me that, over and over again. My problem, my list of "books I want to read" is amazingly long, but by now I seldom find the time to read...I blame the work - I really miss the school times.
To rise as one!

Arwen Arianna

#956 Post by Arwen Arianna » 12 Mar 2009 13:30

Sentinel wrote:People keep telling me that, over and over again. My problem, my list of "books I want to read" is amazingly long, but by now I seldom find the time to read...I blame the work - I really miss the school times.
you just shocked me.. you miss school times? I don't know what or how everyone does it... but.. I have less than no time at all Oo If I want to read I book, I have to do it at 3:00 am Oo (but sometimes I'm still working at that time.. my record is 5:30 am :P )
and it gets even worse afterwards? :shock: that's discouraging :?
anyway, I know that there-are-100-books-I-want-to-read-problem :(
It's very common.. and sucks... a day should be longer than 24 hours...
Bpgk!

Sentinel

#957 Post by Sentinel » 12 Mar 2009 14:06

I know it may sound weird, but when I was still at school I thought exactly the same. People told me that someday I´ll miss these times. I denied it, immediatelly. But they were right.
Since I started to work, time is passing by like nothing. What is a week, a month, even a year? Time flies and in the little free-time I have, I try to do as much interesting stuff as I can. The main problem, as you´ve already mentioned: 24 hours a day is not enough, it seems.
To rise as one!

Arwen Arianna

#958 Post by Arwen Arianna » 12 Mar 2009 14:38

Sentinel wrote:I know it may sound weird, but when I was still at school I thought exactly the same. People told me that someday I´ll miss these times. I denied it, immediatelly. But they were right.
Since I started to work, time is passing by like nothing. What is a week, a month, even a year? Time flies and in the little free-time I have, I try to do as much interesting stuff as I can. The main problem, as you´ve already mentioned: 24 hours a day is not enough, it seems.
Time seems to be racing indeed.. :(
hmm.. I'm indeed not sure I'll miss this particular school... (I'll be done with school after Tuesday Oo) ..maybe some people...
okay, I'll post again in 10 years and tell you if I changed my mind :lol:
But there's one advantage: you learn to respect what little free time you have and don't waste any time...(or at least try not to) plus: "boredom" is an unknown term ;)
Bpgk!

Ripley

#959 Post by Ripley » 12 Mar 2009 14:53

Sentinel wrote:About Otherland: So I´m not the only one who finds the "beginning" confusing. After about 200 pages I was like "WTF??" and lay the book aside...[...]
Same here... This is at least my third attempt (not counting the radioplay...)
If I had known that this book demands some endurance things would have looked different...

@ArwenArianna: Yes, I know Shadowmarch
Some time passed since I read it, but I liked it. The style and story is a little bit "Dragonbone-Chair-like". Not as confusing as Otherland.
But maybe you better wait until vol. 3 is published- waiting for a continuation can be very nasty... :wink:
When Vol 1 was published in German, my boss (I work in a bookstore...) asked me to supervise the reading event, which was really a great evening :D

Oh, and I also suffer from the so-many-interesting-books-to-read-problem. The list grows longer and longer (just added Nightwatch... :wink: )

Edit: Sentinel is right... When I was nearly finished with school, I couldn't wait to get out and everybody told me, I would miss it.
Long story short: Yes, I miss it. Sometimes...

Arwen Arianna

#960 Post by Arwen Arianna » 12 Mar 2009 15:10

Ripley wrote:Some time passed since I read it, but I liked it. The style and story is a little bit "Dragonbone-Chair-like". Not as confusing as Otherland.
But maybe you better wait until vol. 3 is published- waiting for a continuation can be very nasty... :wink:
thanks for the advice :)
I'll wait .. .until then I'll be busy with Lukianenko, Eddings and some others.. need to finish the "Dark Tower" series at some point as well...
When Vol 1 was published in German, my boss (I work in a bookstore...) asked me to supervise the reading event, which was really a great evening :D
cool :)
Have you ever heard of the "Elbenwald Spektakel"? it's a fantasy festival that takes place once a year..
every time there is a reading around a campfire (this was at least always the case so far) and fantasy writers (e.g. Markus Heitz (Ritus, Sanctum, Die Zwerge etc) Christoph Hardebusch (Die Trolle) or Markolf Hoffmann) write stories for this event.. it's really cool.. some also offer writing workshops... :)
Edit: Sentinel is right... When I was nearly finished with school, I couldn't wait to get out and everybody told me, I would miss it.
Long story short: Yes, I miss it. Sometimes...
I'll sure miss some people and maybe my history teacher, but that's about it.. (enough already...)
Bpgk!

Ripley

#961 Post by Ripley » 12 Mar 2009 16:28

Arwen Arianna wrote: cool :)
Have you ever heard of the "Elbenwald Spektakel"? it's a fantasy festival that takes place once a year..
every time there is a reading around a campfire (this was at least always the case so far) and fantasy writers (e.g. Markus Heitz (Ritus, Sanctum, Die Zwerge etc) Christoph Hardebusch (Die Trolle) or Markolf Hoffmann) write stories for this event.. it's really cool.. some also offer writing workshops... :)
Yes I heard about it, but I never was there. Sounds cool. But of course I know Elbenwald :wink:
I was at the Tolkienfest (have you heard of it?!) twice which I liked a lot. Hope there will be another one when The Hobbit Movie comes... Ahem, are things getting OT ?!
Seeing Tad Williams live was cool indeed. One third of the evening he read and talked about Shadowmarch and the other two thirds he was chatting with the audience :mrgreen:

Sentinel

#962 Post by Sentinel » 12 Mar 2009 16:31

Arwen Arianna wrote:
Sentinel wrote:I know it may sound weird, but when I was still at school I thought exactly the same. People told me that someday I´ll miss these times. I denied it, immediatelly. But they were right.

But there's one advantage: you learn to respect what little free time you have and don't waste any time...(or at least try not to) plus: "boredom" is an unknown term ;)
Right, but it can also turn into stress. Sometimes you don´t know what to do first, and thus you start one thing, then decide to do another thing and at the end do something completely different. *g*
To rise as one!

Arwen Arianna

#963 Post by Arwen Arianna » 12 Mar 2009 16:57

Sentinel wrote:
Arwen Arianna wrote:

Right, but it can also turn into stress. Sometimes you don´t know what to do first, and thus you start one thing, then decide to do another thing and at the end do something completely different. *g*
...and either never get anything done properly or you just don't manage to do everything and the work just gets more instead of less, no matter how hard you work? yep....

@Ripley:
I've heard of the Tolkienfest, but I've never attended it.. something I'd really like to go to is the RingCon... But I can't see this happen in the near future.. :(
the Elbenwald Spektakel is really worth visiting...I've been to all so far and after a while you get to know everyone, as it is rather small ;)
and no.. we're not *really* getting OT... we're talking about writers.. and books... up to a certain extent :P
about fantasy, anway.
I still doubt that there will ever *be* a Hobbit movie.. there have been reports, news, discussions etc for ages now.. :(
Bpgk!

Draugwen

#964 Post by Draugwen » 12 Mar 2009 17:00

I think they say it should be out 2011 >.<
~Merin sa haryalye alasse!~

As a matter of fact... Maglor lives!

Gandalf de Grijze

#965 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Mar 2009 17:03

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/ ?

shooting won't start untill next year.

anyway.. there is still too much that i still need to read., about the school issue.. if i worked longer than 4 hours a day after school, something was terribly wrong.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Dark Nomad

#966 Post by Dark Nomad » 12 Mar 2009 22:49

The seer king by Chris Bunch. Not bad, read better.
'Battalions of fear.'

Ripley

#967 Post by Ripley » 13 Mar 2009 08:59

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/ ?

shooting won't start untill next year.

anyway.. there is still too much that i still need to read., about the school issue.. if i worked longer than 4 hours a day after school, something was terribly wrong.
Well, let's see what happens to the Hobbit thing. I would probably like it...
Having too much to read seems to be a neverending problem. The number of books I'd like to read ist steadily increased by the number of books I should read for work.
Though I like fantasy there were times when I thought I could stand no more Elves... :roll:

Led Guardian

#968 Post by Led Guardian » 13 Mar 2009 20:42

Ripley wrote: Though I like fantasy there were times when I thought I could stand no more Elves... :roll:
:shock: :shock:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Ripley

#969 Post by Ripley » 15 Mar 2009 10:44

Led Guardian wrote:
Ripley wrote: Though I like fantasy there were times when I thought I could stand no more Elves... :roll:
:shock: :shock:
Yep. When you check the catalogue with new books to be released and you see that every publisher offers at least 3 new elf-novels, after a certain time its getting annoying...
Sad but true.
But as the elves were followed by dragons and then by vampires, it seems to be just a phase... :wink:

With Otherland, the end seems near- I'm in the middle of Vol IV, things are getting clearer and clearer and by now I'm so curious about the end that I won't give up...

Have a nice sunday

Kankra

#970 Post by Kankra » 23 Mar 2009 14:59

Currently reading The Thin Red Line by James Jones. It's been made a popular movie in the 90s.

A very fascinating book for me. Written in an almost casual style, Jones nearly put me off in the beginning when the book started with superficial stories about the soldiers of C-Company arriving at Guadalcanal and a strong unexplained army vocabulary, but then Jones explores the soldiers' psyche, their motivations and fears in extreme detail, scratching the big questions about man, life, and the sense of it all. Recommended wholeheartedly.

eolas

#971 Post by eolas » 23 Mar 2009 17:06

I finished "The observer that observes the observers" by Friedrich Dürennmatt; it was totally an interesting book and it was a little bit complicated because of the sentences that take pages but I'm happy to tell that it was one of the most impressive book of german literature I could have ever read.
You're not dreaming but in a dream...

We're only at home when we're on the run!

Kankra

#972 Post by Kankra » 23 Mar 2009 17:12

Whats the German name plx?

eolas

#973 Post by eolas » 23 Mar 2009 19:03

It's called "Der Auftrag oder Vom Beobachten des Beobachters der Beobachter", I'd like also like to try it in German but I think I'll just wait for the day I get Sprachdiplom, it was even more complicated than the other books to read it in my own language...
You're not dreaming but in a dream...

We're only at home when we're on the run!

power_dysfunction

#974 Post by power_dysfunction » 24 Mar 2009 06:42

Storm from the Shadows, by David Weber.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

Arwen Arianna

#975 Post by Arwen Arianna » 30 Apr 2009 01:55

Finished the Nightwatch books, read "Weltengänger" (also by Sergej Lukianenko) and am now reading "Weltenträumer" (volume 2 ;) )
Bpgk!

Led Guardian

#976 Post by Led Guardian » 30 Apr 2009 03:29

Utopia- Thomas More
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Yippee38

#977 Post by Yippee38 » 03 Jun 2009 23:14

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's really well written. I can't put it down.
Yippee38

Arwen Arianna

#978 Post by Arwen Arianna » 09 Jun 2009 21:39

Just read "Das Schlangenschwert" by Sergej Lukianenko.
and now:
Jim Butcher~ Fool Moon
Bpgk!

the blue magian

#979 Post by the blue magian » 09 Jun 2009 22:20

just started lord of the rings

Led Guardian

#980 Post by Led Guardian » 09 Jun 2009 22:46

Arwen Arianna wrote:Just read "Das Schlangenschwert" by Sergej Lukianenko.
and now:
Jim Butcher~ Fool Moon
Good choice. Read the whole series. (In order, they connect together).

NR: The Silmarillion (again 8) )

Arwen Arianna

#981 Post by Arwen Arianna » 11 Jun 2009 00:33

Led Guardian wrote:
Arwen Arianna wrote:Just read "Das Schlangenschwert" by Sergej Lukianenko.
and now:
Jim Butcher~ Fool Moon
Good choice. Read the whole series. (In order, they connect together).
I started out with vol. 7... didn't realize it was a series until I started and then I thought "what the hell" :lol:
I read the 1st volume afterwards... :roll: this somehow always happens to me -.-
but yeah, the books I read so far were pretty good..
Bpgk!

Draugwen

#982 Post by Draugwen » 17 Jun 2009 16:38

Now reading the Tamuli - again. well, kind of reading 8)

Winterstorm

#983 Post by Winterstorm » 17 Jun 2009 21:40

"Dilvish the damned" by Roger Zelazny. Nothing special, just classic fantasy similar to Conan the Barbarian or Kane's adventures.

"Good Omens" Pratchett & Gaiman. Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite writers so it can't be bad! :P

Gandalf de Grijze

#984 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 17 Jun 2009 21:49

Mort by Terry Prattchett
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Cerbere

#985 Post by Cerbere » 18 Jun 2009 06:54

I read Watchmen. Now i am reading Icewind Dale

Raistlin_Majere

Re: What book are you reading?

#986 Post by Raistlin_Majere » 22 Jun 2009 16:32

Silmarillion (Again) :D

Arwen Arianna

#987 Post by Arwen Arianna » 23 Jun 2009 04:30

Sergej Lukianenko~Die Ritter der vierzig Inseln
Bpgk!

Dentarthurdent

#988 Post by Dentarthurdent » 23 Jun 2009 11:19

Douglas Adams: Der lange dunkle Fünfuhrtee der Seele (The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul)
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

power_dysfunction

#989 Post by power_dysfunction » 23 Jun 2009 19:26

Voyage to the Great Attractor by Alan Dressler. Non-fiction, pretty crazy stuff.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

Led Guardian

#990 Post by Led Guardian » 23 Jun 2009 21:36

Unfinished Tales- J.R.R. Tolkien

jophelerks

#991 Post by jophelerks » 24 Jun 2009 22:25

Soul of the Fire: Book 5 of the Sword of Truth series

faery

#992 Post by faery » 25 Jun 2009 08:53

Helliconia Summer - Brian Aldiss

Amazingly nice book (series actually, with spring, summer and winter) about a planet where the big year lasts almost 3000 earth-years, so it gives them seasons of about 700 years. Quite thoughtfully written and such (although I have the first two parts in dutch and only the last one in English and the translation sucks).

Arwen Arianna

#993 Post by Arwen Arianna » 25 Jun 2009 08:56

Once again:
J.R.R. Tolkien~ The Silmarillion
Last time I read it I was 9 or 10... meaning my knowledge of this book is almost 0 by now :(
I read it an think "oh, that's how it happened Oo"
Bpgk!

Draugwen

#994 Post by Draugwen » 25 Jun 2009 21:24

Once again:
J. R. R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion. For similar reasons :roll:

the blue magian

#995 Post by the blue magian » 25 Jun 2009 21:41

still lord of the rings. the story is nice but i find it hard too get trough :S:S am i an bad person now?

Arwen Arianna

#996 Post by Arwen Arianna » 25 Jun 2009 22:52

the worst of all :twisted:
Bpgk!

Cerbere

#997 Post by Cerbere » 26 Jun 2009 04:44

Anyone else read Icewind Dale? Its amazing

the blue magian

#998 Post by the blue magian » 26 Jun 2009 19:47

@ arwen: hey i'm dooing my best and am halfway through already ( even your avatar is atacking me) :P:P:P

Led Guardian

#999 Post by Led Guardian » 26 Jun 2009 20:53

Arwen Arianna wrote:Once again:
J.R.R. Tolkien~ The Silmarillion
Last time I read it I was 9 or 10... meaning my knowledge of this book is almost 0 by now :(
I read it an think "oh, that's how it happened Oo"
I first read it in 8th grade. But now I've just read it again and can flex my Tolkien muscles! Especially by the end of the year, by which time I hope to finish reading The History of Middle-Earth set. :shock: :mrgreen:

Arwen Arianna

#1000 Post by Arwen Arianna » 27 Jun 2009 13:07

@Bart: yeah, my avatar is evil. .it's me :twisted:
@Led Guardian: Lucky you. I haven't even started yet :D
Bpgk!