Alien Movie Series Discussion

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
MythsOfMetal

Alien Movie Series Discussion

#1 Post by MythsOfMetal » 23 Aug 2012 22:02

Here we talk about the Alien movie series including the movies: Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, and Prometheus. Later we may possibly also talk about other movies in the series other than the ones I've listed.

So I was wondering. How would people rank the movies, in order of favourite to least favourite? Have you seen, what do you think of, and do you like Prometheus?

I'd rank the movies like this:

1.Alien
2.Aliens
3.Prometheus
4.Alien 3
5.Alien: Resurrection

Prometheus is very close to tying Aliens. Alien is a bit better than Aliens, Prometheus is quite a bit better than Alien 3, and Alien 3 is a ton better than Alien: Resurrection, in my opinion.

Here's what I thought of Prometheus:

The story was good, not very good though. The action and horror was decent, but nothing too special. The Sci-Fi-ness of it was great, and the visuals were pretty much a 10/10.

Frozen within

Re: Alien Movie Series Discussion

#2 Post by Frozen within » 21 Sep 2012 19:01

Prometheus was quite good I thought, I had expected it to be a crappy rip off prequel, but it turned out to be a worthy standalone chapter (like, the very first that would be) of the Alien series.

I think my ranking looks a little like :

1. Aliens
2. Alien
3. Prometheus
4. Alien 3
5. Alien : Resurrection

Looks like we agree for the largest part, only I find Aliens one of few sequels that actually appeal to me more than the original.
Eat more vegetables !

t.a.j.

#3 Post by t.a.j. » 22 Sep 2012 21:18

Prometheus was the shit. It was basically an Alien remake without any balls at all. It even wasted what few interesting characters it had. It was boring, predictable, the story was flat, had nothing interesting to say, barely connected with the Alien franchise,.... and I have to endure another "ancient astronauts" premise I am going to be very unhappy....

Even the horrible Aliens: Ressurection was better than Prometheus, if only because it had Ripley...
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Zook

#4 Post by Zook » 03 Feb 2013 21:04

Judging by the rest of your post, you mean "Prometheus was shit". Adding the "the" means you thought it was good, great, awesome.

My rankings:

Aliens
Alien
Alien 3

Alien Resurrection

Haven't seen Prometheus yet.

Baby_Kürsch

#5 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 06 Feb 2013 02:55

Alien
Alien 3
Aliens
Alien Resurrection, this movie is fucking great, Joss Whedon will always be one of my favorite writers

Personally I like them all, I still haven't seen Prometheus and its difficult to judge Alien against any other Aliens movie because its the only one thats a true horror flick.
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

Palantyre

#6 Post by Palantyre » 06 Feb 2013 16:06

Alien: Resurrection has Ron Perlman in it, which automatically makes it worth watching. It's not exactly great, though.

Aliens, now that is a great movie. One of my all-time favourites, actually. Sure it's not actual horror, but it's still intense as all fuck. Also, it's the granddaddy of the whole "Rowdy space marines against hideous bug monsters" trope, which I'm a hopeless sucker for.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Baby_Kürsch

#7 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 06 Feb 2013 16:14

Palantyre wrote:Alien: Resurrection has Ron Perlman in it, which automatically makes it worth watching. It's not exactly great, though.

Aliens, now that is a great movie. One of my all-time favourites, actually. Sure it's not actual horror, but it's still intense as all fuck. Also, it's the granddaddy of the whole "Rowdy space marines against hideous bug monsters" trope, which I'm a hopeless sucker for.
Read Starship Troopers, the move and the book are 2 different things.

Palantyre

#8 Post by Palantyre » 06 Feb 2013 21:20

Baby_Kürsch wrote: Read Starship Troopers, the move and the book are 2 different things.
I know they are, which is why I haven't bothered with the book as I love the shit out of the movie.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Baby_Kürsch

#9 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 13 Feb 2013 16:19

lol you chose the wrong side in that one!!! they are both good, the book is just a better/different story!

I got the game Aliens:Colonial Marines on Tuesday and so far its everything you could want from an Aliens game! it takes place 17 weeks after the events of Aliens on LV-426 and is extremely atmospheric.

MythsOfMetal

#10 Post by MythsOfMetal » 06 Mar 2014 02:47

Baby_Kürsch wrote:lol you chose the wrong side in that one!!! they are both good, the book is just a better/different story!

I got the game Aliens:Colonial Marines on Tuesday and so far its everything you could want from an Aliens game! it takes place 17 weeks after the events of Aliens on LV-426 and is extremely atmospheric.
I never played the game myself, but I heard a lot of mixed/negative reviews of the game. Though I've heard good things about the Alien: Isolation video game which is scheduled to release later this year. I enjoyed the Aliens vs Predator game that was released in 2010 though, even though a lot of people had mixed feelings on that too.

Led Guardian

#11 Post by Led Guardian » 18 Mar 2014 04:57

Baby_Kürsch wrote:lol you chose the wrong side in that one!!! they are both good, the book is just a better/different story!

I've never heard anything but invective against this game. You have got to be the first person to actually say they were enjoying it.

From what I understand it is frequently broken, and also nothing like the companies early teasers, which basically outright lied about what would be in the game.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'