the latest movie releases

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Isis65

the latest movie releases

#1 Post by Isis65 » 29 Nov 2011 13:13

which interesting films have come out recently in your countries?
Here lately I've seen some nice films:

The beautiful American landscapes, beautiful character of Cheyenne, I did not like the ending...

I really liked it...

for this film in my group of friends, there were endless discussions .... I loved it, others have found it terrible .... but Von Trier often has this effect ...
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

t.a.j.

Re: the latest movie releases

#2 Post by t.a.j. » 29 Nov 2011 13:20

In my personal estimation, Melancholia was horribly boring, vacuous and pretentious without any redeeming glance. Actors who tried to act, a camera that didn't even try, endless sequences of overblown music accompanying Kristen Dunst in dramatic poses and silly semi-apocalyptical cgi. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather watch a movie that has something to say except for the fact that this is a world in which a self-indulgent idiot like Lars von Tier is taken to be a great artist.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Isis65

#3 Post by Isis65 » 29 Nov 2011 16:39

I understand that you're one of those who don't like Von Trier and don't appreciate the film .... just like him so the audience can clearly split between those who worship him and those who hate him ...
I found it's a very disturbing film, which has disturbed me deeply, but because of the overwhelming emotions that made me feel ... I think it was the effect the director wanted to sorting. I liked it because I did not feel good, nor because it allowed me to bask in the cosmic pessimism or absolute destructiveness ... I found it simply brilliant in its ability to "let me live" look terribly disturbing life in its entirety, featuring the extreme right in its absolute value....
I have particularly looked as if the metaphorical representation of what can happen to each of us, human beings, in the impact with something as threatening and annihilating as depression can be certain aspects of existence: each character embodied and represented a potential part of each one of us (the hopeless depressed, hyperactive mode from counterphobic efficient and reassuring part blind to deny at all costs, etc ...) and they interact or conflict as the attempt to come to terms , integrate or repel different parts...
In summary, the feedback is opposite that we had, I wonder if this is not particularly dependent on the diversity of our "sounding boards" ... both worthy choices and both are only very partially in a conscious way...
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Desert_Storm

#4 Post by Desert_Storm » 30 Nov 2011 22:16

Isis65 wrote:I understand that you're one of those who don't like Von Trier and don't appreciate the film .... just like him so the audience can clearly split between those who worship him and those who hate him ...
I would have serious problems with anybody who "worships" him as a person. Haven't seen the movie, might be good or not, but that wouldn't make him less of a
t.a.j. wrote:self-indulgent idiot
in my book (just a self-indulgent idiot who happens to be able or not to shoot good movies).
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Isis65

#5 Post by Isis65 » 01 Dec 2011 14:39

Well, worship him as a person I think is virtually impossible, especially after the crazy statements he made on Hitler and the Nazis at the Cannes Film Festival .... and anyway, even before this episode was hard to like him though .... I still doubt that it was only a severe provocation
As a director, I'm one of those who consider him a genius ... hard, heavy, disturbing, but able to hit like few other directors
And the fact that when it comes to judgments he always trigger very hard, one way or the other, seems to confirm this ...

Probably we'll never get to a common point on Von Trier, and moreover have radically different opinions on an artist is completely normal...

Last night I was able to recall a film released last year, but I had lost .....

a really nice movie, it can speak of a very heavy situation gracefully without diminishing what happened .... I loved it!
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

t.a.j.

#6 Post by t.a.j. » 01 Dec 2011 14:53

I really don't care about the Hitler comments. If I took artists' political commentary serious, I couldn't listen to half the music I like.

Isis65

#7 Post by Isis65 » 01 Dec 2011 15:13

t.a.j. wrote:I really don't care about the Hitler comments. If I took artists' political commentary serious, I couldn't listen to half the music I like.
I usually listen to them carefully, cause I'm very interested on politic since I was a kid: if Von Trier in his films had dealt with topics reported to that area, my view on him would be completely different ....
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Desert_Storm

#8 Post by Desert_Storm » 01 Dec 2011 22:39

t.a.j. wrote:If I took artists' political commentary serious, I couldn't listen to half the music I like.
I'm quite lucky there, as I don't normally listen to music where such people are common. I find that often the people who make idiotic, unreflected comments on a regular base are also those who make idiotic and unreflected music ;)
I really don't know what I would do if that were not so. I could hardly find a justification (to myself) for supporting e.g. antisemitics or murderers (both not uncommon in certain genres) with money and me standing there cheering at them, and to say that "I like their music" makes all the difference here seems a little cheap to me. I feel that in the end I would be supporting a person with my money and encouragement, no matter if it's only partial aspects of her I agree with or not.

Desert_Storm

#9 Post by Desert_Storm » 01 Dec 2011 22:40

Isis65 wrote:Well, worship him as a person I think is virtually impossible, especially after the crazy statements he made on Hitler and the Nazis at the Cannes Film Festival ....
If you look at some youtube videos of that interview, there seem to be people worshiping him just because of that.

t.a.j.

#10 Post by t.a.j. » 01 Dec 2011 22:48

Desert_Storm wrote:
t.a.j. wrote:If I took artists' political commentary serious, I couldn't listen to half the music I like.
I'm quite lucky there, as I don't normally listen to music where such people are common. I find that often the people who make idiotic, unreflected comments on a regular base are also those who make idiotic and unreflected music ;)
I really don't know what I would do if that were not so. I could hardly find a justification (to myself) for supporting e.g. antisemitics or murderers (both not uncommon in certain genres) with money and me standing there cheering at them, and to say that "I like their music" makes all the difference here seems a little cheap to me. I feel that in the end I would be supporting a person with my money and encouragement, no matter if it's only partial aspects of her I agree with or not.
If I took Jon Shaffer seriously, I wouldn't be listening to any... ok, bad example... I'm not necessarily talking about nazis here, but merely about the fact that being an entertainer does not qualify someone as an authority in political, philosophical or any other matters. Some are smart, other's not so, but simply writing a song about it doesn't make it reasonable or true, even if the song is nice to sing along to.

Desert_Storm

#11 Post by Desert_Storm » 01 Dec 2011 23:22

It's not necessarily nazis. It's not at all that anyone would be qualified as an authority in any discipline except maybe for art (Hesse wrote something along the lines that a true poet is actually disqualified from being that). It's not really about that I think. I mean when the owner of the supermarket around the corner would start posting inhuman slogan in his shop window I would probably walk two blocks further and buy at another one (even if that one doesn't have my favourite brand of corn flakes), because I would have a hard time explaining to myself how I could support that, despite the fact that he probably hasn't a degree in philosophy. It would be even harder for me to support a band who does so, and who probably feels vindicated by legions of fans standing in front of a stage and cheer their name and sing their songs and pay them money.
I personally have the strong urge to distance myself from anybody who says something that I consider not tolerable. If one of my friends would start stating things that many bands (mostly in more extreme metal) regularly say in interviews, I would most certainly stop hanging out with him and encourage others to do so too. I think I couldn't go to a questionable band's concerts on the same evening without feeling hypocritical.

Isis65

#12 Post by Isis65 » 03 Dec 2011 13:11

Desert_Storm wrote:If you look at some youtube videos of that interview, there seem to be people worshiping him just because of that.
I've seen some videos and I've read the translation of that interview...about people, probably the only thing I can say is "horrifying"or some like this....but I can not claim to be surprised .... I have already noticed long ago that the world is full of people of which I would much rather avoid ....
Respect to Von Trier, however, have not changed my opinion, for now ..... in his films never addressed issues related somehow to that kind of politics, indeed, if you've seen "Dancer in the Dark" (I love that movie) I think it addresses the issue of the death penalty so strongly opposed ....
Is possible that future work will move in that direction, and in that case I would quit completely to follow him.... unfortunately, is not the first time that an author is "thunderstruck" by some revelation in the course of his life, and denies everything he has done in the past .... just think of Cat Stevens ...
But, reading that interview, I continue to be convinced that it was only a strong provocation .....
He is no stranger to this kind of strong statements, this are part of his character ....
Desert_Storm wrote: I personally have the strong urge to distance myself from anybody who says something that I consider not tolerable.
Completely agree with you.
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Sarah

#13 Post by Sarah » 05 Dec 2011 02:37

Love the way the thread switched all of a sudden !

It's too late now to get into the political debate, just wanted to mention i've been seeing a shitload of movies lately, so i'll just go quickly :

The Lady (seen this afternoon) : good movie, a wee weak from Luc Besson, making the actual story a bit linear, but an interesting point of view.
Immortals (in 3D) : the kind of movie so absurd it gets awesome. Very surprising take on the greek pantheon. Loads of explosions, and of people reduced to smithereens in a cool way. Involves Mickey Rourke dressed like Lady Gaga. Loved it 5 stars on a scale of "WTF"
TimeOut : Good stuff, surprisingly more story than i expected, even if it ended up sort of weak. Loads of Justin, almost as much fisheyed-Mamma-Mia-girl. Interesting
Black Gold : Lawrence of Arabia by the director of "Seven Years in Tibet". Quite stunning visually, but also really manichean as goes "traditions/religions = good but poor VS modernism/oil exploitation = less good but rich". Very decent cast. Antonio speaks like a vampire in True Blood though.
The Help : Awesome. Quite long (2h30), left me without a drop of tear in my entire body. Real sweet and serious at the same time.
Drive : Interesting, slow, silent, surprising camera shots
The ides of March : Faster-paced, beautifully made, well written, extremely able cast. Good job George, you really can do it all.

And a bloody hellload of French movies, which are surprisingly good at the moment. I'll give recommendations upon requests :D

Wondering if I should go see Tintin, Puss in boots, and a few others.
No fucking way i'll go to twilight, even if it's free. Even out of masochist curiosity. I'd rather eat my own toes with a spoon.
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Isis65

#14 Post by Isis65 » 05 Dec 2011 16:29

Sarah wrote:Love the way the thread switched all of a sudden !
I had promised to stay away from policy discussions in this forum, because when I start to talk about it then I can not stop ..... and just in a thread that seemed completely harmless that turned out well .. .. but I could not escalate, I would say that is a great improvement on my part .....

Sarah wrote: TimeOut : Good stuff, surprisingly more story than i expected, even if it ended up sort of weak. Loads of Justin, almost as much fisheyed-Mamma-Mia-girl. Interesting
Black Gold : Lawrence of Arabia by the director of "Seven Years in Tibet". Quite stunning visually, but also really manichean as goes "traditions/religions = good but poor VS modernism/oil exploitation = less good but rich". Very decent cast. Antonio speaks like a vampire in True Blood though.
The Help : Awesome. Quite long (2h30), left me without a drop of tear in my entire body. Real sweet and serious at the same time.
Drive : Interesting, slow, silent, surprising camera shots
these seem to me interesting, I write them down ...
Sarah wrote:And a bloody hellload of French movies, which are surprisingly good at the moment. I'll give recommendations upon requests
some titles of movies, including the ones you liked most?
Here the French Institute occasionally makes presentations in the original language, maybe I can see some nice films....
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Sarah

#15 Post by Sarah » 10 Dec 2011 13:44

Just found out the movie with Justin is actually called "In Time". Why would they give it another english word as a french title, this goes beyond my understanding...

Anyway, the best french movie this year is called "Polisse", don't know how they will export it, if they do, it's quite impressive and a bit horrifying too, but absolutely worth it.
Poster looks like this :

Else, there's a really big success-story at the moment, that went into the select-club of movies with more than 10 million viewers within a few weeks, it's called "Intouchables", about a rich disabled guy who hires a suburbian dude who just got out of prison as a life auxiliary. There are already Oscars talks, and there will be an American remake.
Both movies are based on true stories.

And I went to watch Shame last night, it's a bit like Drive, with all the driving/violence scenes replaced with extensive sex ones. The fact that the same actress plays in both also has a part in the comparision. Full frontal nudity too. The main actor reaaaally invested himself, that's for sure...
I don't know if i'd recommend it though, i was a wee bit disappointed.

Will see Carnage soon
We lost the world

Isis65

#16 Post by Isis65 » 14 Dec 2011 20:52

Ok, thanks for everything .... in the meantime, before leaving, I could see another 2 films, both set in France:
Midnight in Paris, Woody Allen

Lovely film, I love this man!

Le Havre by Aki Kaurismäki ..... very nice, positive, dreamer ..... damn, I need a movie where everything ends well, no bad guys, no tragedies and deaths ... .

Tomorrow we go to see "Almanya - Willkommen in Deutschland" .. someone told me about it very well!

I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Orodaran

#17 Post by Orodaran » 18 Dec 2011 22:14

I loved Midnight in Paris too :D but then again, I love Paris :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Isis65

#18 Post by Isis65 » 23 Dec 2011 19:04

and how can you not fall in love with Paris?
is one of the most fascinating cities in the world ....

I confirm that "Almanya" is a lovely film, I highly recommend it.
Another tip, "the Artist" by Michel Hazanavicius .... I saw last Wednesday .... I loved it!

I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

t.a.j.

#19 Post by t.a.j. » 23 Dec 2011 22:37

I've been to Paris. It was either run-down or pretentious. Sometimes it actually managed to be run-down and pretentious at the same time, which I grudgingly admire. The people were universally unfriendly, even the service personnel managed to serve with a veneer of snobbery. Traffic was horrible, the metro walkways seemed be so long and confusing that we probably walked past our destination at some point and then rode the train back. What characterized the whole trip most was the significant absence of romance, even though I went with my girlfriend at the time. But I did have the finest tasting meal of life there and there was this beautiful church on the hill.

Isis65

#20 Post by Isis65 » 27 Dec 2011 22:10

you are one of the few that has happened not to find romantic Paris .... I have been there a dozen times, and apart from the artistic things ( there are splendid things, but they are something I'm accustomed ...), the excellent cuisine and fine wines (I find it hard to tell, but I must admit it ....), what impressed me (and everyone I know who have been in Paris) was the sweetly romantic atmosphere of this wonderful city ..
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Desert_Storm

#21 Post by Desert_Storm » 03 Jan 2012 16:26

[quote="t.a.j."]I've been to Paris. It was either run-down or pretentious. Sometimes it actually managed to be run-down and pretentious at the same time, which I grudgingly admire. The people were universally unfriendly, even the service personnel managed to serve with a veneer of snobbery. Traffic was horrible, the metro walkways seemed be so long and confusing that we probably walked past our destination at some point and then rode the train back. What characterized the whole trip most was the significant absence of romance, (...)/quote]
I'm with you there, though I couldn't have put the sentence together as nicely ;) I don't recall the metro as too confusing, though.

Sarah

#22 Post by Sarah » 04 Jan 2012 01:58

Saw "Snowtown" today, couldn't handle it from about 30mn before the end and had to leave the cinema. It was hard to watch, but still a very good movie. If anyone has seen it, i'd really appreciate to be told the end, despite it all, i'd like to know how it all finishes...

Also saw "Let my people go", a very interesting movie in French and Finnish, really well thought, quite original and really funny. Worth it. :)

"A Dangerous Method" is not as bad as it looks. I'd really love to know how Keira does the whole weird thing with her lower jaw. My mate really loved it because of one of the characters advocating free love and listening to primal instincts :D Classic !

Finally, "New Year's Eve" is still not as good as "Love Actually", but already better than "Valentine's Day" (wasn't that hard). The movie is worth seeing just for the Michelle Pfeiffer part.

Concerning Paris and its role as "city of love", well, i'm not the best person to judge, as i seem to find "love" everywhere on the bloody planet except Paris. And i live there.
But maybe it's only cause i'm dead crap at it ;)
We lost the world

Isis65

#23 Post by Isis65 » 08 Jan 2012 22:43

Unfortunately, at this time I could not see any new movie ....
I hope in the next few days to go to the cinema again.
But I must continue to defend the romance of Paris, and see an Italian woman who defends the French think is something epic ....
Ok, the French are unbearable at times .... so are the Italians, Germans, Spanish etc.. etc. ....
in 2011, approximately 13,500,000 tourists visited Paris .... are a huge amount of people.
13,499,998 people think that Paris is a city very romantic .... 2 have been found wrong.
It can happen.
http://www.tafter.it/2011/12/27/turismo ... -a-parigi/
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Sarah

#24 Post by Sarah » 10 Jan 2012 21:08

Saw Mission impossible, and it was not as bad as i thought it'd be ! Good action movies, loads of explosions, heaps of fights and guns, and there's even a blonde/brunette catfight for you gentlemen :D

And just got out of "The Guard", awesome movie by the brother of the guy who directed "In Bruges". So mostly, same team, and same HUMOUR ! The movie is funny as hell, while still managing to keep serious enough to make the story interesting. Loved it !
We lost the world

MarchOfTime

#25 Post by MarchOfTime » 11 Jan 2012 06:52

Saw The Devil Inside a few nights ago, laughed through the entire thing. It's really that bad, but if you go with a group of idiots you can usually make your own amusement. it's one of those films where people shout at the screen and what they're saying is usually true :mrgreen:
Bow down in the platinum maze
Twilight cathedrals spread the system plague
Forging sacred thrones in the void unseen
Merciless judgement in the church of the machine

Sarah

#26 Post by Sarah » 11 Jan 2012 15:29

I'm going to the pre-screening of the lastest Fincher movie, adapted from the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" book. I already loved the Swedish version, I'm so excited i can barely give a fuck about the fact that today is the opening of the Sales season in France (I wouldn't give a crap about those anyway, but i do need clothes)

I'll let you know if it's worth it :)
We lost the world

Led Guardian

#27 Post by Led Guardian » 13 Jan 2012 21:09

Sarah wrote:I'm going to the pre-screening of the lastest Fincher movie, adapted from the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" book. I already loved the Swedish version, I'm so excited i can barely give a fuck about the fact that today is the opening of the Sales season in France (I wouldn't give a crap about those anyway, but i do need clothes)

I'll let you know if it's worth it :)
It totally is. I've never read the books or the Swedish films, so I can't compare, but it was fantastic. Saw it twice.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Sarah

#28 Post by Sarah » 15 Jan 2012 17:13

I'm going again in a few days, when it's officially released in France, and next time, i'm taking some friends along. :)

Thinking about going to see "Anonymous" tomorrow, and either "From Up on Poppy Hill" or "J. Edgar" tonight.

Gosh, this "Unlimited Movie Pass" are the best 20€/a month i've ever spent !
We lost the world

Led Guardian

#29 Post by Led Guardian » 24 Jan 2012 23:14

It bothers me how little attention "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is getting from the Academy Awards. But then again, the Academy Awards almost always bother me with what they give attention, and honestly, everything on the list of nominations for major awards are what one would expect. They're the kinds of movies that are pretty much made to be loved by the Academy. As long as they give Rooney Mara Best Actress, instead of Meryl Streep who will undoubtedly get it. She's a great actress, but I think they'll give it to her just because they've given her so few compared to the number of nominations she's had. Guess I'll see the day after the ceremony.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Isis65

#30 Post by Isis65 » 05 Feb 2012 10:58

I do not think is released nothing new here, is before Christmas that I can't go to the movies .... but yesterday night finally with the usual group of friends, we was able to rent and see "Agora '" (which we lost when was released, it was distributed very little here ...)

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful .... if you have not seen it, look it absolutely!
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

kgeorge

#31 Post by kgeorge » 13 Feb 2012 08:31

I was really excited to watch the girl with the dragon tattoo and it was just nice. I was able to finish the book just before we watched it on the big screen and it was captivating though had a lot of scenes that are taboo for some, going.

The story was quite unusual, but something that happens in reality, much more than how people think they are. I would live it at that just so those who are not yet able to catch it wont see any spoilers.

Sarah

#32 Post by Sarah » 01 Apr 2012 23:23

So -ho -ho...

Saw Hunger Games. Never read the books so i can't judge/compare on that, but the movie is pretty awesome. I'm a good audience for anything with explosions anyway, so that was a pretty smooth one on that side. Good actors, good story. Interesting take on the Minotaur theme, AWESOME costumes/make up. That was disneyland in there, with more blood. And explosions. And dead kids.

Saw 2 days in New york. Hadn't seen the "first" movie, but i guess you don't really need to. Worth for Chris Rock, with his first non-stereotypical and original role since the 5th element. Else, it's kind of funny, but it gets boring sometimes. And a bit too long.

Saw a french movie today called "Mince Alors" (meaning both Damnit and So Thin) about a thermal station filled with fat people trying (or not) to lose weight. A girls' movie, a bit on the silly side (and quite stereotypical, the main male character is one big moron), but REALLY funny with some real good punchlines ("Are you naturally that stupid or do you take evening lessons ?" )
My favourite being about diets "I did the hyper-protein one / How much did you lose ? / About 1500 bucks"

Saw "Pirates ! Band of misfits", quite sweet, and nice and funny. But then again, i'm a really good audience for this stuff, was laughing at the same time as all the kinds in the cinema. hehe.
We lost the world