The Sword of Truth

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
yamasidious

The Sword of Truth

#1 Post by yamasidious » 27 Jun 2011 04:55

Has anyone read any of the books from "The Sword of Truth' series. If you like The Lord of the Rings I would highly recommend it. These are the books that "The Legend of the Seeker" TV show is based from. Not sure how well known that show is in Europe.

The Rider Of Rohan

Re: The Sword of Truth

#2 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 29 Jun 2011 12:46

It's know, mostly through the interwebs. It's a great show.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

jophelerks

#3 Post by jophelerks » 29 Jun 2011 21:35

I love The Sword of Truth series. I read up until the ninth book, which honestly was pretty uninteresting, but the ones prior to that were top-tier literature, especially the first six.

Legend of the Seeker is decent for what it is; a cheesy, low-budget, C-grade fantasy show. The main actors are all excellent, especially Bridget Regan (Kahlan), but the supporting cast seem to be universally atrocious. Admittedly, this gives it some charm; I think the show was good but not great, and definitely nothing like the books except for a few landmark events.

But yes, as for the books, I very highly recommend them, I still hail Faith of the Fallen as perhaps my favorite book of all time. For the show, if you have some free time and enjoy excessive cheese, definitely check it out.

yamasidious

#4 Post by yamasidious » 30 Jun 2011 15:47

jophelerks wrote:I love The Sword of Truth series. I read up until the ninth book, which honestly was pretty uninteresting, but the ones prior to that were top-tier literature, especially the first six.

Legend of the Seeker is decent for what it is; a cheesy, low-budget, C-grade fantasy show. The main actors are all excellent, especially Bridget Regan (Kahlan), but the supporting cast seem to be universally atrocious. Admittedly, this gives it some charm; I think the show was good but not great, and definitely nothing like the books except for a few landmark events.

But yes, as for the books, I very highly recommend them, I still hail Faith of the Fallen as perhaps my favorite book of all time. For the show, if you have some free time and enjoy excessive cheese, definitely check it out.
While I admit the show could be better. It's not that cheesy. Yes there are some elements of cheese. To me it's better then Xena and the Hercules series'. I was actually bummed when they cancelled it. I wish they would bring it back. I too thought it was a great show.

The Rider Of Rohan

#5 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 30 Jun 2011 18:44

Legend of the Seeker is decent for what it is; a cheesy, low-budget, C-grade fantasy show.
I personally wouldn't consider a show with a budget of 1 mln per episode a 'low budget' show.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

jophelerks

#6 Post by jophelerks » 03 Jul 2011 22:35

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Legend of the Seeker is decent for what it is; a cheesy, low-budget, C-grade fantasy show.
I personally wouldn't consider a show with a budget of 1 mln per episode a 'low budget' show.
What the hell? They got 1mil per episode? I guess they just suck at using money efficiently, then. For 1mil/episode, they could have done a lot better in my opinion.

The Rider Of Rohan

#7 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 15 Jul 2011 19:16

What exactly was done wrong with it?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

t.a.j.

#8 Post by t.a.j. » 16 Jul 2011 07:37

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:What exactly was done wrong with it?
Bad set design, fake looking FX, horrible acting. Not to mention the old hogwash story and the presentation that makes you feel like the only people in the world are the main characters.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#9 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Jul 2011 11:38

Well, at least it wasn't as bad as Game of thrones.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Frozen within

#10 Post by Frozen within » 16 Jul 2011 19:49

I read the series like 10 years ago, but I didn't get passed the 6th book and I really don't know why actually. Liked it a lot at that time, I might pick things up from where I left them, I still remember where I quit reading.
Eat more vegetables !

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#11 Post by Metal Fan » 16 Aug 2011 01:10

Pillars of Creation sucked. I don't get the point of it and stopped reading there.
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)