Dragon Age 2

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
The Rider Of Rohan

Dragon Age 2

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Mar 2011 18:38

This weekend I started playing the second-most anticipated review op 2011: DA2. After the terriffic Origins and Awakenings it's great to go back to Ferelden for more questing, looting and grinding. And when I put down the gamepad a couple of minutes ago, I realised I had lost an entire day to this great game.

It lacks the epic scale of the first game, but it does give a rather nice personal twist to the franchise.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Skyflat

Re: Dragon Age 2

#2 Post by Skyflat » 29 Mar 2011 19:43

I didn't get it yet! The 1st DA didn't impressed me too much...
Hails from Cyprus!!!
http://www.Cy-Metal.com

Mackasfour

#3 Post by Mackasfour » 30 Mar 2011 12:38

I've heard by most of my friends the combat system in this is so much better lol. I might pick this up if I can be bothered to read reviews and see if it looks decent enough
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

The Rider Of Rohan

#4 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 30 Mar 2011 18:16

Skyflat wrote:I didn't get it yet! The 1st DA didn't impressed me too much...
It didn't? That's remarkable, because DAO is pretty much one of the best rpg's ever.
I've heard by most of my friends the combat system in this is so much better lol. I might pick this up if I can be bothered to read reviews and see if it looks decent enough
To be honest I haven't noticed that much difference. There's a bit more button-mashing, but playing as a mage is pretty strategic - more or less on par with the original game. The menu interface, however, has improved a tad.

As for the reviews, most people agree that it is a great game.

Imho the game is a sight step back from the original game (the world and the plot lack the grandeur and focus of the original game) but what's there is still great enough to spent a lot of time on.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Palantyre

#5 Post by Palantyre » 30 Mar 2011 18:28

I dunno if the combat system is all THAT different... but yeah, I admit it has been improved a little, it's quite fun. If nothing else, it looks more spectacular. They also brought back the old Baldur's Gate tradition of enemies exploding into chunks of meat for no sensible reson. Love it. :lol:

I played the game with a warrior first, got all the way to the third act (to the time when Hawke is the champion) when I finally realized I had missed a recruitable NPC. So as I felt like trying out a rogue anyway, I started a new game with a rogue... and never looked back, especially as the NPC in question (Isabela) turned out to be my favourite of the lot. My own rogue and her became a fantastic dual-wielding tag-team of death. :mrgreen: Rogues = the shit.

As for the plot, yeah, it's different from your usual fantasy rpg stuff. It's more, I dunno, personal? It's more about Hawke and the city of Kirkwall in general, than a grand story of some epic adventure. Of course it still has an over-arching plotline that all comes together near the end, but all in all it's more low-key than usual.
As a comparison, I'd say that if DA:O (or any other usual fantasy RPG) was an epic 3-hour fantasy movie, DA2 is more like a TV series. Personally I quite like the style. Especially when dialogue is done Mass Effect-style now, and the voice actors once again do a wonderful job. Not that I'd expect anything less from Bioware.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Led Guardian

#6 Post by Led Guardian » 31 Mar 2011 17:26

There's a lot of hate for this game going around the gaming community. I'm almost done with my Nightmare play-through, and I can say that I'm not sure why. It has flaws, yes, but it is still a good game. 2 quick points on where it goes wrong: 1) Re-used areas. I'm sure I don't need to elaborate on this. 2) Some obnoxious combat quirks. Overall, I consider combat improved over Origins. It's much smoother and sleeker and really just plain fun. However, having enemies dropping out of the sky (literally) in waves, sometimes 4 or 5 of them, including high-powered enemies in later waves, is not fun. I hate being committed to a battle, and then suddenly have enemies appear by my squishies right where I have just been. It makes no sense, and it's just trying to add difficulty through attrition, which is not the way to do it. Related to this, while battles on Nightmare range from quick obliteration to a pleasant challenge, some are just difficult and/or tedious beyond the point of fun. I'm looking at you, Rock Wraith and High Dragon. I didn't even do these 2 on Nightmare, because I do not feel inclined to spend an hour micromanaging a single battle. Also, perhaps the single most irritating thing is that for some incomprehensible reason, assassins are invincible for the entire (and long) time of their hide animation. If I'm coming down for a Might Blow, I don't care if he's begun jumping in the air. My sword will fucking hit him. It's been a long time since anything in a game has made me rage as much as assassins in this one. None of this is made easier by the removal of the strategic camera view. That's inexcusable. It makes positioning and targeting nearly impossible much of the time. Next play will be on hard, Nightmare is too tedious, and it takes away some of the fun. On the plus side, the characters and dialogue have been good for the most part and skills trees are improved. Overall very addictive, and not deserving of the hate being heaped on it. Next play-through will be a rogue for sure. If they take the combat and leveling improvements from this game, and add them to the ability to have more conversations with companions and more area variety of the last, they could make one of the greatest RPG's ever.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

The Rider Of Rohan

#7 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 31 Mar 2011 18:33

Actually I haven't seen that much hate for this game in the first place. And if it is, then I wonder what it is based on. It's a very deep game with lots and lots of content which means that it's great value for money, especially in this day and age where 6 hour campaigns are commonplace.

Sure it has some flaws compared to the first game, but that's hardly inexcusable: the original was one of the best games ever and was hard to beat to begin with. The trick is to look at what's there, and the material that is on offer is very, very strong indeed.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#8 Post by Palantyre » 31 Mar 2011 21:41

Stupid overblown fanboy rage over how different it is, or is perceived to be.

Led Guardian

#9 Post by Led Guardian » 01 Apr 2011 02:09

Palantyre wrote:Stupid overblown fanboy rage over how different it is, or is perceived to be.
That's what I think it is. Knee jerk reaction. There were several 1 star reviews on Amazon 12 hours after it came out. For PC at least, the plurality of ratings are 1 or 2, and there are a lot of those on gamefaqs too. It's user score on metacritic is 4.3. I personally think that those scores are undeserved, and attest to that with the 8 hours I played yesterday. Which I do hate myself for, by the way.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

lord of the west

#10 Post by lord of the west » 01 Apr 2011 06:21

alot of the bad feedback is on the Bioware's social forums. My take on it is that Bioware set the bar pretty pretty damn high with Origins so people were expecting the sequel to set the bar pretty higher, so the expectations pretty really high. Then Bioware comes out with DA2 in which its more personal and your mostly in one town for the game. That shot down those high expectations in which that was replaced with negativity. Bioware kept warning the fans how its going to be different but the fans kept ignoring them.

My take on it is that Bioware may have not intended DA2 to be what it is now. I think EA (their publisher) wanted more games in less years so they can squeeze as much out of the game as possible before throwing it away. So Bioware maybe had to prioritize what they have to do then. This is just my theory though. I mean this game took less than 2 years to develop and it sort of shows. Im not saying DA2 is bad though, its actually really good. I just think that it had the potential to be even better with maybe another half year to a year more in development.

Skyflat

#11 Post by Skyflat » 01 Apr 2011 11:09

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Skyflat wrote:I didn't get it yet! The 1st DA didn't impressed me too much...
It didn't? That's remarkable, because DAO is pretty much one of the best rpg's ever.
Maybe the "Awakening" version of DA which is more better... :!:
Hails from Cyprus!!!
http://www.Cy-Metal.com

The Rider Of Rohan

#12 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 01 Apr 2011 18:05

Led Guardian wrote:That's what I think it is. Knee jerk reaction. There were several 1 star reviews on Amazon 12 hours after it came out. For PC at least, the plurality of ratings are 1 or 2, and there are a lot of those on gamefaqs too. It's user score on metacritic is 4.3. I personally think that those scores are undeserved, and attest to that with the 8 hours I played yesterday. Which I do hate myself for, by the way.
I personally wouldn't even consider to take a review within 12 hours serious. You really can't judge an rpg before you haver spend at least two-thirds on the campaign, and I doubt if many of those naysayers actually played the game before they passed judgement. I myself have just reached the deep roads (which means I have put 12 hours in the game, and which also means that I am grateful for the spoiler-free nature of your posts) and I still haven't reached my ultimate verdict between giving it 4 stars or 5. What I do know is that a 1 star rating is quite ridiculous no matter how much time one spends on this game.
lord of the west wrote:Then Bioware comes out with DA2 in which its more personal and your mostly in one town for the game. That shot down those high expectations in which that was replaced with negativity. Bioware kept warning the fans how its going to be different but the fans kept ignoring them.
True in a way, but it would be quite daft to condemn the game for it. It's true that the game doesn't sprout a storyline that involves a young lad saving the world. But then again, whoever said that such a thing is mandatory? Having a personal story is quite a novel thing. A second game with the same storyline could only be a second game with the same storyline, so to speak. At least this way they're not falling into the trap of repeating themselves.
lord of the west wrote:My take on it is that Bioware may have not intended DA2 to be what it is now. I think EA (their publisher) wanted more games in less years so they can squeeze as much out of the game as possible before throwing it away.
I suspect that the release of Skyrim in november inspired EA to push for a quick release of DA2.
Skyflat wrote:Maybe the "Awakening" version of DA which is more better... :!:
Actually I don't believe Awakening was better. It was definitely very good and had some nice, memorable characters (Justice and the female dwarf in particular), but the storyline wasn't brilliant. For example: they never truly explain how the darkspawn started talking and who the final boss ultimately was. Especially that last part was a wee bit strange: I beated her, yet the game didn't really give me a clue who she was and what her motives were...
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Led Guardian

#13 Post by Led Guardian » 01 Apr 2011 19:31

I personally wouldn't even consider to take a review within 12 hours serious. You really can't judge an rpg before you haver spend at least two-thirds on the campaign, and I doubt if many of those naysayers actually played the game before they passed judgement. I myself have just reached the deep roads (which means I have put 12 hours in the game, and which also means that I am grateful for the spoiler-free nature of your posts) and I still haven't reached my ultimate verdict between giving it 4 stars or 5. What I do know is that a 1 star rating is quite ridiculous no matter how much time one spends on this game.
I know I don't take them seriously. And I did not even consider the spoiler thing, so I'm glad that I managed to not spoil anything (or at least nothing that could not be spoiled by a quick look at the achievements list).
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:True in a way, but it would be quite daft to condemn the game for it. It's true that the game doesn't sprout a storyline that involves a young lad saving the world. But then again, whoever said that such a thing is mandatory? Having a personal story is quite a novel thing. A second game with the same storyline could only be a second game with the same storyline, so to speak. At least this way they're not falling into the trap of repeating themselves.
I like the way the story's gone. There are primary things occurring in each act, but it's nothing really overarching. It's kind of the like The Name of the Wind, and now The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, which can be purchased online or at a bookstore near you, although naturally not as good as said books.
lord of the west wrote:My take on it is that Bioware may have not intended DA2 to be what it is now. I think EA (their publisher) wanted more games in less years so they can squeeze as much out of the game as possible before throwing it away.
I too fear that EA is pressuring them, and not allowing them the time to make the best possible product.
Skyflat wrote:Maybe the "Awakening" version of DA which is more better... :!:
Actually I don't believe Awakening was better. It was definitely very good and had some nice, memorable characters (Justice and the female dwarf in particular), but the storyline wasn't brilliant. For example: they never truly explain how the darkspawn started talking and who the final boss ultimately was. Especially that last part was a wee bit strange: I beated her, yet the game didn't really give me a clue who she was and what her motives were...
I thought Awakening was very meh. It was fun enough, and had some cool characters, but it didn't really click with me. I have had no desire to replay it. It also had some horrible bug issues, like the 100 approval bug, Sigrun's broken quest, save corruptions from runecrafting, runes not working correctly, etc. I'd say DA2 is much better than Awakening, overall not as godd as Origins, although better in some areas. I have spoken.

lord of the west

#14 Post by lord of the west » 01 Apr 2011 19:37

Led Guardian wrote:That's what I think it is. Knee jerk reaction. There were several 1 star reviews on Amazon 12 hours after it came out. For PC at least, the plurality of ratings are 1 or 2, and there are a lot of those on gamefaqs too. It's user score on metacritic is 4.3. I personally think that those scores are undeserved, and attest to that with the 8 hours I played yesterday. Which I do hate myself for, by the way.
lord of the west wrote:Then Bioware comes out with DA2 in which its more personal and your mostly in one town for the game. That shot down those high expectations in which that was replaced with negativity. Bioware kept warning the fans how its going to be different but the fans kept ignoring them.
True in a way, but it would be quite daft to condemn the game for it. It's true that the game doesn't sprout a storyline that involves a young lad saving the world. But then again, whoever said that such a thing is mandatory? Having a personal story is quite a novel thing. A second game with the same storyline could only be a second game with the same storyline, so to speak. At least this way they're not falling into the trap of repeating themselves.
I have to agree with you. On social.bioware.com ive seen some hatefilled topics and i was like wow the game isn't definately not that bad lol. Next up for bioware is that Dragon Age:Redemption(?) webseries which is supposed to take place after DA2.

The Rider Of Rohan

#15 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 01 Apr 2011 21:30

Got a url?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

lord of the west

#16 Post by lord of the west » 01 Apr 2011 23:34

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Got a url?
Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF2mPgwrlT4

Here's the announcement:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon- ... 148-1.html

Palantyre

#17 Post by Palantyre » 02 Apr 2011 02:30

Man, Felicia Day is just ridiculously cute.

The Rider Of Rohan

#18 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 02 Apr 2011 12:10

Looks nice, thanks for the tip.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

lord of the west

#19 Post by lord of the west » 02 Apr 2011 20:33

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Looks nice, thanks for the tip.
no problem. keep on checking that announcements section too for any DLC that will get announced because they'll have it right in the announcements section along with the facebook game they created plus more.

The Rider Of Rohan

#20 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Apr 2011 17:45

Just spent about nine hours on DA2, with an hour of Fifa 11 and Crysis 2 in between. Amazing stuff. Though if you play the games for such lengths you do tend to notice the games biggest flaw: namely that almost nothing happens story-wise during the second act.

Oh well. Guess one more week and I'll see the credits.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#21 Post by Palantyre » 03 Apr 2011 19:14

namely that almost nothing happens story-wise during the second act.
Quite a bit happens actually, it just doesn't become evident right away. ;)

Oh, and as for playing the game for long times at once.... well, I'll just say that DA2 broke my record of the longest continuous session of gaming. I won't tell you how long it was, because I don't want people to see what a freak I really am. :lol: And btw, the previous record was several years old, from when Baldur's Gate 2 was still pretty new. So I guess that says something about DA2.

The Rider Of Rohan

#22 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Apr 2011 20:41

Palantyre wrote:Quite a bit happens actually, it just doesn't become evident right away. ;)
Must be at the end then. I cleared all the sidemissions, secondary missions and friendmissions before going into the main storyline, so I guess the interesting stuff is coming up.

Oh, and I slept with Isabella. 8)
Palantyre wrote:Oh, and as for playing the game for long times at once.... well, I'll just say that DA2 broke my record of the longest continuous session of gaming. I won't tell you how long it was, because I don't want people to see what a freak I really am. :lol:

And btw, the previous record was several years old, from when Baldur's Gate 2 was still pretty new. So I guess that says something about DA2.
You can tell here, you're amongst your peers here. ;)

And I totally appreciate the sentiment. The great part about DA2 is that there's always something to do, and when you finish it, there's something else to do too. It keeps you busy without ever becoming mundane.

It's not my record for the longest gamingsession (16 hours straight was pretty normal for me in my snes-days) but it's a good experience.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#23 Post by Palantyre » 03 Apr 2011 21:12

Must be at the end then. I cleared all the sidemissions, secondary missions and friendmissions before going into the main storyline, so I guess the interesting stuff is coming up.
There'll be threads coming together, yeah.
Oh, and I slept with Isabella. 8)
Yeah, me too 8) Though it's not like it's a difficult achievment. I also slept with Merrill. And with Anders just so I could bluntly dump his ass afterwards, because he was annoying me. Yeah, my FemHawke was a bit of a bitch. :lol:
You can tell here, you're amongst your peers here.
Alright then, how's roughly 30 hours sound? :P I didn't even think I was capable of pulling all-nighters like that anymore, but I was just so thoroughly immersed. It wasn't like "Fuck, now I'm gonna play until I drop", I just played and played and at one point I noticed it was morning. Then I basically shrugged and kept playing. :P

Led Guardian

#24 Post by Led Guardian » 04 Apr 2011 04:21

I can't even contemplating playing a game for that long. :shock:
And I will warn everyone: due to a game bug, if you slept with Isabella, but ended up finishing the romance with Merrill (and maybe others as well), your epilogue will say Isabella was with you. An unpleasant surprise at the end of the game, but I guess they'll fix it. If it really bothers you, before finishing the game you can I think clear the flag for the Isabella romance and add the one for the Merrill romance using the debug console (on PC that is).

Palantyre

#25 Post by Palantyre » 04 Apr 2011 09:37

I can't even contemplating playing a game for that long.
Well to be frank, after that I didn't play anything for about three days. Guess I blew a gaming fuse. :lol:

Anyways, I didn't have to cope with that bug since I decided to romance Isabela in the first place (because she's awesome), but there was this bug where she appeared at the Hawke estate with a quest marker thingy above her head, but wouldn't initiate the dialogue she was supposed to. So I had to use the debug console to jump-start that quest by skipping the buggy initiation dialogue.

As a completely unrelated sidenote, I was wandering around in the Hawke estate and examining all the little tidbits there to hear Hawke's comments, and by the bookshelf I found out Varric has apparently written a book called Hard in Hightown: Siege Harder. That's fucking hilarious.

Led Guardian

#26 Post by Led Guardian » 05 Apr 2011 03:49

Not having seen that movie (I looked up the reference), I didn't get that one.

It took me until the second time I saw it to get this joke, but it's pretty funny now that I do: (Varric) "And so I said 'It's a kingdom, and that makes him king. But it's also a country...'"

:lol:

The Rider Of Rohan

#27 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 05 Apr 2011 18:15

My favorite quote comes from Isabella: "An apostate prostitute? An apostitute?"
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#28 Post by Palantyre » 05 Apr 2011 19:44

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:My favorite quote comes from Isabella: "An apostate prostitute? An apostitute?"
Yeah, that was probably my favourite too, it totally cracked me up. :lol: Most painful pun ever.

Isabela's my favourite character overall, she's just so much fun.
And I don't wanna be a nitpick, but it's ISABELA. Just one L. ;)

notimportant

#29 Post by notimportant » 09 Apr 2011 12:43

DA2 sucked.
Fact

Palantyre

#30 Post by Palantyre » 09 Apr 2011 23:20

notimportant wrote:DA2 sucked.
Fact
You suck.
Fact.

Mackasfour

#31 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Apr 2011 05:18

Palantyre wrote:
Fact
You suck.
Fact.
+1
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

notimportant

#32 Post by notimportant » 18 Apr 2011 22:41

Palantyre wrote:
Fact
You suck.
Fact.
No, that's just an opinion ;)

The Rider Of Rohan

#33 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 19 Apr 2011 19:28

I finished the game last week. I had an amazing time with it, it' s definitely one of the best games of the year. Still, there were some things which kept it from being better than part 1. Most notably the story lacking any focus, and the fact that they made the game more mainstream by dumbing down certain elements (I mean, why not being able to equip your party? That takes a lot of the fun out of looting).

And what' s the deal with all that stuff Flemeth said in the beginning about the world taking a plunge and Morrigan and stuff? In the beginning of the game I was exited about discovering what happened to my child, but nothing was ever revealed.

So all in all there' s some stuff to correct in part 3, which makes me really looking forward to it. :)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Led Guardian

#34 Post by Led Guardian » 20 Apr 2011 05:06

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:I finished the game last week. I had an amazing time with it, it' s definitely one of the best games of the year. Still, there were some things which kept it from being better than part 1. Most notably the story lacking any focus, and the fact that they made the game more mainstream by dumbing down certain elements (I mean, why not being able to equip your party? That takes a lot of the fun out of looting).

And what' s the deal with all that stuff Flemeth said in the beginning about the world taking a plunge and Morrigan and stuff? In the beginning of the game I was exited about discovering what happened to my child, but nothing was ever revealed.

So all in all there' s some stuff to correct in part 3, which makes me really looking forward to it. :)
I actually enjoyed the story (other than certain parts happening exactly the same no matter what I did grrrr). I liked the biographical feel of it. It wasn't focused, but it incorporated pieces from the rest of the game into the 3rd, which added all the continuity of plot I think it needed. Again, kind of like The Name of the Wind. With Flemeth, I think the plunge is just referring to the huge war that is starting at the beginning/end of the game, and your part in it. Don't look for anything regarding the child, at least not as a main plot line. Maybe a DLC. In an interview that I don't feel like locating right now, the lead dev said that they weren't going to canonize it. They can't make it a main story arc without telling everyone that they performed the ritual at the end of Origins.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to part 3. I'm really looking forward to seeing them taking the best elements of each game and combining them. And actually taking their time with the design.