Elder Scroll V: Skyrim

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Dragon Guardian

Elder Scroll V: Skyrim

#1 Post by Dragon Guardian » 13 Dec 2010 16:25

Finally after 4 long years of waiting the follow up to Oblivion has been announced. It will be coming on 11/11/11.

It will take place in Skyrim and dragons will play a big role.

My wish list:
-more guilds (seriously Oblivion only had 4, I'm hopping for at least a dozen like in Morrowind)
-guild interaction , where the different factions compete against each other, greater political intrigue
-greater variety in terrain
-!!!!!NO LEVEL SCALING!!!
-hopefully some minigames in towns
-Huge game world
-return of transportation (something like silt striders)

What are your thoughts?

The Rider Of Rohan

Re: Elder Scroll V: Skyrim

#2 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 13 Dec 2010 23:38

The news got me terribly excited, and I'm counting on nothing less than one of the best games ever.

My wishlist:

Less emphasis on leveling, more emphasis on customization

I won't go as far as saying they should ditch the level scaling, as I still think it's a great idea in essence - it makes sure that you can always go everywhere and not having most of the game out of your reach in the first parts. Still, the whole leveling was pretty pointless. On my last playthrough I completed Oblivion as a level 2 Nord - which implies that the leveling was quite pointless. I would like a system where you can focus on specific traits and expand those.

Improved textures, aliasing and popup-reduction

Oblivion looked amazing when it came out, but now it looks rather dated. I hope for an improved engine.

More stoyline, less sidequests

I loved the many sidequests in Oblivion, but at a certain point it felt like the main line was a sidequest itself. I would love a storyline which branches out, or possibly have multiple storylines (like for example GTA does it) which ultimately lead up to a climax.

More epic moments

I want political intrigue, huge skirmishes and hidden romanticism.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

T3hOverlord

#3 Post by T3hOverlord » 14 Dec 2010 00:55

QAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAWELIUAYKJG!KLJ!GO!F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i sereiously got a boner when i hear about it last night

dont complain about anything. oblivion was perfect and had a LOT more content than Fallout 3
it will be the GReaTEST gAmE EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SKYRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i played over 1000 hours of oblvion over the course of 3 years

Led Guardian

#4 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Dec 2010 01:07

T3hOverlord wrote:i played over 1000 hours of oblvion over the course of 3 years
Your opinion is weakened by your lack of exposure to the real world. :wink:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Cerbere

#5 Post by Cerbere » 14 Dec 2010 01:12

The Rider Of Rohan wrote: Oblivion looked amazing when it came out, but now it looks rather dated. I hope for an improved engine.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/eldersc ... Btitle%3B1

My wishlist:
-Away with the level scaling
-None of the omniscient guard bullshit, if I commit a crime but no one sees, nothing should happen
-More complex sidequests (yes i know there was a shit ton in Oblivion, but none that really accomplished anything, it felt like.)
-More difficult mainquest, it was much too easy, which may have been because of the level scaling.
-Alternate endings/beginnings

T3hOverlord

#6 Post by T3hOverlord » 14 Dec 2010 04:35

No

level scaling is needed

or else it looks just lazy and fail

Like Two Worlds, the infamous Oblivion knockoff

its single player so you need scaling but not necsisarily balance

T3hOverlord

#7 Post by T3hOverlord » 14 Dec 2010 04:37

ALSO

i bet im the only one here who has read the Elder Scrolls novel: The Forbidden City, which gives a whole bunch of plot hits for the new game.

I think that you might have to be the DragonBorn, if you listen to the trailer. I think you have to fight dragons, i think thats what the elder scrolls prophecised the return of. might be kind of obvious but i think you are the "DRAGONBORN" tasked to fight and kill dragons in skyrim

Led Guardian

#8 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Dec 2010 05:54

T3hOverlord wrote:No

level scaling is needed

Like Two Worlds, the infamous Oblivion knockoff

its single player so you need scaling but not necsisarily balance
Level scaling is silly. I like the idea that if I wander into the wrong dungeon, I'll have my ass handed to me on a platter with my kidneys as garnishes.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Palantyre

#9 Post by Palantyre » 14 Dec 2010 06:08

T3hOverlord wrote:No

level scaling is needed

What's really lazy and fail is your argument here. It just doesn't make any damn sense.

The level scaling done to the extent as it was in Oblivion is just ridiculous. There is no sense of progression when some random Joe Bandit is just equally dangerous to your level zillion demigod ass as he was when you were armed with a rusty nail and a kettle lid. Also, everyone and their dog going around decked in full Daedric or Glass or Ebony gear makes no goddamn sense since those materials are supposed to be friggin rare and expensive.

Seriously, no goddamn scaling.
I like the idea that if I wander into the wrong dungeon, I'll have my ass handed to me on a platter with my kidneys as garnishes.
This +1.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Dragon Guardian

#10 Post by Dragon Guardian » 14 Dec 2010 14:39

Yeah level scaling is really stupid as it defeats the whole sense of progression, but I do hope they build upon the combat in Oblivion.
I also really hated how guards would pick on you even if you commit crime discretely.

What do you guys think of fast travel ala Oblivion, should it stay or be removed? Some say that it completely disconnects the player with the game world.

!!!!And Especially!!!!
We should be able to free roam after completing the main quest. Do not follow Fallout 3 and NV example of forcing us to buy DLC to continue free roaming.

The Rider Of Rohan

#11 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 14 Dec 2010 19:51

About the level-scaling, well, I do get both sides of the story.

The great thing about Oblivion was how easy it was to get sidetracked. At one point you were working on a quest, only to figure out a second quest which seemed more interesting, and you would persue that one. Without the scaling it would've been impossible do that. You would end up losing the majority of the quests because the enemies were too strong, and the amounts of quests would expand exponentially the more you grew as a character. Whilst this may sound good, it would basically amount to doubling the amount of hours it took to do everything. That's 400 hours, half of which would've been spent dying in vain.This contradicts the idea of freedom Oblivion was meant to represent.

On the other hand, I did miss the feeling of, say, an older Final Fantasy, where you would build up your stats to defeat that one rock-hard dungeon. This gave a sense of accomplishment which was indeed lacking in Oblivion. The only class which had some real progression was the mage (there were some truly excellent spells to gain), but even that progression wasn't necessary.

I think the solution lies in having multiple plotlines, each consisting of a series of quests of increasing difficulty. Remember the vampire-quest in Oblivion? As much as I hated being a vampire, the quest itself was quite good. It had a number of smaller quests which lasted about 10 hrs, and had this cool story about Count Whatsitnot.

If they made all questlines like this, they could diminish or lose the level-scaling, add a sense of progression AND improve the storyline; without making too much compromises to the gameplay. I'm all for it, actually.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Palantyre

#12 Post by Palantyre » 14 Dec 2010 21:14

The great thing about Oblivion was how easy it was to get sidetracked. At one point you were working on a quest, only to figure out a second quest which seemed more interesting, and you would persue that one. Without the scaling it would've been impossible do that. You would end up losing the majority of the quests because the enemies were too strong,
Not true. Morrowind didn't have level scaling either, and it was easy enough to completely forget about the questline and just start wandering. I think Morrowind only had some kind of level limit you had to reach before certain enemies would spawn randomly, but that limit was pretty low and some places had fixed enemies anyways. Still there was plenty of room for a lower level character to roam around and get stronger.

And seriously, basically giving the player freedom to do pretty much anything right from the get-go might sound like a beautiful idea on the surface, but it doesn't really hold water. What's the point in developing your character if there's nothing to work up to? Might as well remove any sort of character development entirely.

T3hOverlord

#13 Post by T3hOverlord » 15 Dec 2010 00:16

Daggerfall was still by far the greatest

MarchOfTime

#14 Post by MarchOfTime » 16 Dec 2010 04:10

:mrgreen:

o boy, the next 11 months are going to be painful

but as far as improvements

- New Engine (check that off the list)
- More voice actors (were there like 6 in the other game?)
- Crafting
- Epic, Diversified Terrain (I know Skyrim is to the North and therefore has more snow, but I liked the forests of Oblivion)
- Better balance of combat (because who honestly used the bow/arrow?)
- More diverse dungeons/ caves

its Bethesda so I don't think I have anything to worry about, but
just some suggestions
Bow down in the platinum maze
Twilight cathedrals spread the system plague
Forging sacred thrones in the void unseen
Merciless judgement in the church of the machine

T3hOverlord

#15 Post by T3hOverlord » 16 Dec 2010 04:22

MarchOfTime wrote::mrgreen:

o boy, the next 11 months are going to be painful

but as far as improvements

- New Engine (check that off the list)
- More voice actors (were there like 6 in the other game?)
- Crafting
- Epic, Diversified Terrain (I know Skyrim is to the North and therefore has more snow, but I liked the forests of Oblivion)
- Better balance of combat (because who honestly used the bow/arrow?)
- More diverse dungeons/ caves

its Bethesda so I don't think I have anything to worry about, but
just some suggestions

I used an enchanted frost bow and frost weakness arrows with a huge explosion damage that one-hit almost anything. Stealth shooting is better than you think :mrgreen:

MarchOfTime

#16 Post by MarchOfTime » 16 Dec 2010 20:57

I loved being stealthy with the bow too, but a bow/arrow in normal combat was pretty useless when most creatures bashed your face in up close :wink:

Palantyre

#17 Post by Palantyre » 16 Dec 2010 21:12

I loved being stealthy with the bow too, but a bow/arrow in normal combat was pretty useless when most creatures bashed your face in up close
As it bloody well should be. You try defending against a two-handed sword with a stick that has a string attached to it.
That's what bows should be like, powerful if you get the drop on an enemy, but useless if they are able to get up close.

Personally, I used just plain unenchanted bows and arrows, and sometimes some enchanted arrows if I happened to find any. Normal arrows were more than enough because I liked to go crazy with alchemy and concoct some really nasty poisons. And even without those, just plain sneak attacks worked wonders.

As far as my "wishlist", weeelll, let's see.

-Yes, more voice actors. Morrowind actually had different voice actors for every race, which was possible since the NPCs only had a few lines of voiced speech. But since Oblivion had to be all voice-acted, they needed to cut the amount down to conserve disk space. Result: Female orcs speaking with a crystal-clear voice and all elves sounding the same. Hooray.
I suppose we should be grateful they didn't pick the old squeaky Bosmer voices as the new default, though.

-Less retarded NPCs, or at least ones that either a) Shut the fuck up, or b) Have more than three lines of dialogue with eachother. NPCs having idle chatter with eachother is a nice idea on paper, but after hearing them discuss the ickyness of mudcrabs for the 594th time I started losing my will to live.

-More diverse spellmaking, and magic system in general. This is one aspect where Oblivion took a step backwards from Morrowind; The spell maker and item enchantment just didn't give the player as much freedom of creativity as in Morrowind. Though it was still better than nothing, I just hope they at least won't "streamline" it further.

-Like already stated, no scaling. Not of levels, and especially not of equipment. I can't stress is enough how retarded it was in Oblivion to have quite literally everyone, from the lowliest farmer upwards, to walk around toting glass, ebony and daedric weepons and/or armor. "Oh hai, I'm just a poor downtrodden vagabond! I have this warhammer the size of a watermelon, made of the second most precious substance known to man, the price of which could buy me a small mansion. However, I still live in a bush in the woods eating tree bark."
Oh, would you please kindly give me a fucking break.

-More diverse equipment. More armors, more weapons, more everything. This was another step to the worse in Oblivion: ditching medium armor, polearms and crossbows was just lazy. I also missed being able to wear clothes WITH armor like in Morrowind - especially as wearing only clothing had no point thanks to the sudden absence of the "Unarmored" skill - and having pauldrons as a separate armor item, and individually for each shoulder. (Not a big issue in itself, but part of the bigger "diversity of equipment" picture.)

Of course, a lot of the shortcomings in both Morrowind and Oblivion could later be fixed with mods, but it would be kinda nice to have the vanilla game without any glaring design flaws and thus not necessarily have to bother with all the mod hassle, not to mention having to wait for the modding community to get up to fixing things.
!!!!And Especially!!!!
We should be able to free roam after completing the main quest. Do not follow Fallout 3 and NV example of forcing us to buy DLC to continue free roaming.
Well, both Morrowind and Oblivion already have that, so I think it's reasonable to expect Skyrim to have it as well.

The Rider Of Rohan

#18 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Dec 2010 21:34

Oh, and one more thing: no over-encumbering, or the ability to carry more loot (or even to permanently raise your STR-stat through alchemy or enchantment). Looting dungeons could've been great in Oblivion, but it quickly turned out to be a drag.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#19 Post by Palantyre » 16 Dec 2010 22:01

Meh, to me it'd be pretty silly to be able to haul around any old junk you come across.
Sure, I've had some moments of frustration over not having enough carrying capacity, but I never saw that as the game's fault, rather just my own for being too much of a pack rat for my own good. Having to stop and think about what I'm keeping with me and what I'll have to leave behind once in a while just adds a nice additional layer of challenge. That's what Feather potions and spells are for.

The Rider Of Rohan

#20 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Dec 2010 15:28

It's not like I want to keep everything, just enough to keep the best and barter away the rest. Sadly, in Oblivion you couldn't loot every body in a dungeon without being encumbered, so you'd spent half the time going through menu's trying to find out what to keep and what to loose. Dragon Age did this a lot better.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

adg211288

#21 Post by adg211288 » 24 Dec 2010 16:05

I'm really looking forward to this game, Morrowind and Oblivion are among my favourite games. Some hops for Skyrim then:

More guilds/factions, this I definitely agree on. I need to brush up on TES lore a bit, but it would be nice to see some factions from MW return as playable factions like The Imperial Legion/Cult, or whatever equivalent Skyrim has. On this I also think that the player should be made to roleplay by only being able to join good or bad guilds - this would be great if it extended to the main quest as well."

This seems unlikely given the whole mountains and snow deal with Skyrim, but I would have liked a more diverse terrain in the new game, I felt that Oblivion was a lot of forest and not so much else, where Morrowind seemed much more varied. I can't play Oblivion without using the UL mods these days because I just get bored of the terrain.

An open-ended storyline would be great, I think actions should have more consequences than getting a game over screen/reloading an earlier save.

The Rider Of Rohan

#22 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Dec 2010 15:37

Funny thing is. if you read this topic top from bottom without having played Oblivion, you'd believe that it's a terrible game (even though it's one of the finest games ever created).

Core games are total dicks. :P
spamel wrote:
Periods.

nikitabobkov

#23 Post by nikitabobkov » 08 Jan 2011 03:13

Last edited by nikitabobkov on 16 Jan 2011 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

The Rider Of Rohan

#24 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 09 Jan 2011 10:13

Level scaling is out of the window. In is Fallout 3's perk-system. No character skillcreation either, characters level up more fluidly.

http://kotaku.com/5728236/the-next-elde ... -levelling

Edit: I'm looking at my first post on the top of the page, and this is exactly what I asked for. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Ben G

#25 Post by Ben G » 17 Jan 2011 03:52

I wouldn't get rid of level scaling entirely. Maybe level scaling should be a changeable option or level scaling in moderation.

The Rider Of Rohan

#26 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Jan 2011 19:12

More details about Skyrim. It sounds very promising and I'm especially excited about NPC-interaction and the way quests are generated.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_e ... ageIndex=1
spamel wrote:
Periods.

MarchOfTime

#27 Post by MarchOfTime » 18 Jan 2011 23:51

I got the GI magazine in the mail a few days back, extremely impressive. The hype is going to kill me :?

Cerbere

#28 Post by Cerbere » 20 Jan 2011 04:56

Radiant Story is also smart enough to know which caves and dungeons you've already visited and thus conditionalize where, for instance, a kidnapped person is being held to direct you toward a specific place you haven't been to before, populated with a specific level of enemy. This helps Bethesda avoid repetition and usher the player into areas the team wants you to explore.
Does that mean no level scaling?

The Rider Of Rohan

#29 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 20 Jan 2011 19:41

Indeed. Read the link in my previous post for more information: level-scaling will be replaced by Fallout 3's perks.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Cerbere

#30 Post by Cerbere » 21 Jan 2011 01:03

Ah totally missed that.

MarchOfTime

#31 Post by MarchOfTime » 24 Feb 2011 22:03

prongs

#32 Post by prongs » 25 Feb 2011 06:10

Dragonborn Dragonborn
By his honor is sworn
To keep evil forever at bay
And the fiercest foes rout
When they hear triumph's shout
Dragonborn for your blessing we pray

And the scrolls have fortold
Of black wings in the cold
That when brothers wage war come unfurled
Alduin bane of kings
Ancient shadow unbound
With a hunger to swallow the world

SKYRIIIIIIIIIIIIM
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Palantyre

#33 Post by Palantyre » 25 Feb 2011 09:39

:shock:
... we're gonna need a bigger boat.

And by that I mean I'm gonna need a new computer.

The Rider Of Rohan

#34 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 25 Feb 2011 15:49

Just buy a PS3, it's cheaper than the videocard you'll need to play this game.

Trailer is famazing. Especially the populated area's look great.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#35 Post by Palantyre » 25 Feb 2011 23:18

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Just buy a PS3, it's cheaper than the videocard you'll need to play this game.
No I won't, because no it isn't.

T3hOverlord

#36 Post by T3hOverlord » 26 Feb 2011 03:29

im so fauking exited.
and no dont buy a ps3, the PC experience is MUCH better and worth the extra money, you got everything from player made mods to the nice console commands.

and yes, a ps3 is cheaper than the videocard, but ps3 sucks. I dont know how much a ps3 is now'a'days but my graphics card is around $360 USD

MarchOfTime

#37 Post by MarchOfTime » 26 Feb 2011 03:42

I will be playing on the good ol 360, because its the only system I own (my pc isnt near able to play it). Also, all my friends are getting it for the 360, so I can communicate with them while playing over xbox live. Its like 4 people exploring the same universe and seeing it slightly differently, because i know at least one person who will try to play stealthily, at least one who will go sword-slashing in etc etc...

I, personally, like a mix of it all :wink:

T3hOverlord

#38 Post by T3hOverlord » 01 Mar 2011 04:10

DID YOU GUYS SEE THE NEW TRAILER????? IT LOOKS LIKE THE GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TwqpPtB4XY

Led Guardian

#39 Post by Led Guardian » 01 Mar 2011 04:44

T3hOverlord wrote:DID YOU GUYS SEE THE NEW TRAILER????? IT LOOKS LIKE THE GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED!!

Things like this tend to bypass my capability for rational judgment and make me reeeeeaaaaaally want to hate a game. I am not usually like this, but the way people worship the Elder Scrolls games makes me want to play them just so that I can hate them.

T3hOverlord

#40 Post by T3hOverlord » 03 Mar 2011 00:33

Led Guardian wrote:
T3hOverlord wrote:DID YOU GUYS SEE THE NEW TRAILER????? IT LOOKS LIKE THE GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED!!

Things like this tend to bypass my capability for rational judgment and make me reeeeeaaaaaally want to hate a game. I am not usually like this, but the way people worship the Elder Scrolls games makes me want to play them just so that I can hate them.
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you dont UNDERSTAND! I HAve played Edler Scrolls game ssince the day they came out! I started with Arena and played that for hundred of hours, then daggerfall, then battlespire, then redguard, then morrowind then oblivion and now finally a new one is coming out. I was raised on Elder Scrolls

MarchOfTime

#41 Post by MarchOfTime » 03 Mar 2011 02:06

The reason people rant about their love for the game is because, well, it was that fun. Truly one of the first games to really let you live in the game. i don't mean mmo "live", but actually coexist with your AI and feel apart of the world.

Wonder if the Skyrim engine will be used on the next Fallout, seeing as Bethesda did buy the rights to make, i think it was 3, Fallout games.

Skyflat

#42 Post by Skyflat » 09 Jun 2011 20:34

Official Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8q9fsSn ... r_embedded
This game is in category ""Must-Buy-Now"" :!:
Hails from Cyprus!!!
http://www.Cy-Metal.com

Avelar

#43 Post by Avelar » 28 Jun 2011 21:24

If you didn't watch the gameplay from E3, it's here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU

I'm very excited too, the game looks incredibly good. I also played all games in the series from Arena to Oblivion. My favorite is Morrowind, which got me to the elder scrolls.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

Dragon Guardian

#44 Post by Dragon Guardian » 24 Aug 2011 16:42

Wow, less than 3 months left till release! I cant believe time flies by so quickly since i made this topic.
So far it seems the game adresses most of the issues I had from Oblivion. I just hope there are more than just the 3 guilds that they mentioned.

t.a.j.

#45 Post by t.a.j. » 25 Aug 2011 09:47

Wasn't Oblivion the game were levelling up didn't matter, all the faces looked ugly and that consisted mostly of random, repeated dungeons in a very world were a huge city is fed by one outlying farm?
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#46 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 25 Aug 2011 22:44

Well if you would forget about all the good and just mention the bad: yes, it was.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

t.a.j.

#47 Post by t.a.j. » 26 Aug 2011 14:34

Never really noticed any good before I stopped playing after some 4-5 hours.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#48 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 31 Aug 2011 07:36

Well, to each their own. I had an amazing time with it. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Dragon Guardian

#49 Post by Dragon Guardian » 16 Sep 2011 18:18

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, to each their own. I had an amazing time with it. 8)
Same here, i cant remember how many hours i clocked in. While it was a great game, it was dumbed down compared to Morrowind in many ways like the following:

-less guilds: only 4 (5 if you cant the arena) compared to about 12 in Morrowind and there was no allegiance like where you would choose a great house and then clash with the other guilds forcing multiple playthroughs in order to experience everything.

-level scaling

But if they resolve these two problems it should be fine for the most part.

The Rider Of Rohan

#50 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Sep 2011 18:51

Well, there's no scaling, and 4 guild. So that's good enough.
spamel wrote:
Periods.