Game of Thrones series

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Webmaster
Site Admin

Game of Thrones series

#1 Post by Webmaster » 29 Nov 2010 10:22

I knew that they were planning on making this, I didn't know it was so far along though...

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/

Desert_Storm

Re: Game of Thrones series

#2 Post by Desert_Storm » 01 Dec 2010 21:10

Me neither, I only saw that first trailer.
Some of the characters look really nice, especially Robert looks exactly how I pictured him... Tyrion though... not at all... and Sansa looks much older than she was described in the first book (wasn't it supposed to be 14 or something?)
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Beren Ercharmion

#3 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 01 Dec 2010 21:36

I'm really looking forward to this since I first read about the series in George Martin's Blog a while ago.
The cast is quite good so far, and since Martin himself is involved I guess it will turn out excellent.

The even bettter news: According to his publishers he wants to finish Dance of Dragons by the end of this year. We heard that one before, I admit, but he really might finish it this time.
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

Palantyre

#4 Post by Palantyre » 01 Dec 2010 23:17

Desert_Storm wrote:Me neither, I only saw that first trailer.
Some of the characters look really nice, especially Robert looks exactly how I pictured him... Tyrion though... not at all... and Sansa looks much older than she was described in the first book (wasn't it supposed to be 14 or something?)
What do you think would happen if they kept the character's age the same as in the books but filmed any of her nude/sex scenes? :P
The other alternative would be keeping her 14 years old but omitting all scenes of such nature. Personally, I prefer keeping the boobs.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Led Guardian

#5 Post by Led Guardian » 02 Dec 2010 01:21

Palantyre wrote:
What do you think would happen if they kept the character's age the same as in the books but filmed any of her nude/sex scenes? :P
The other alternative would be keeping her 14 years old but omitting all scenes of such nature. Personally, I prefer keeping the boobs.
Maybe that's what D_S was hoping for. :wink:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Valkyrja

#6 Post by Valkyrja » 02 Dec 2010 03:20

That site has awesome high-resolution pictures. :D I'm really looking forward to this show, haha.

Desert_Storm

#7 Post by Desert_Storm » 02 Dec 2010 17:47

Led Guardian wrote:
Palantyre wrote:
Maybe that's what D_S was hoping for. :wink:
Thanks for already anonymising that pervert's name :P
No, of course that wasn't what I meant, but I mean generally actors are older than the characters they are playing, there's many fourteen year olds played by 18 or 20 year old actors, especially nowadays with makeup and fancy computer software that isn't a problem anymore. But the girl in this picture looks more like someone near thirty IMHO.

T3hOverlord

#8 Post by T3hOverlord » 09 Apr 2011 00:33

Dance With Dragons announced!

Palantyre

#9 Post by Palantyre » 18 Apr 2011 22:34

Welp, I saw the first episode today. It was pretty much exactly as well-done as I anticipated, and as faithful to the books as could be asked for.

HBO, I fucking salute you.

T3hOverlord

#10 Post by T3hOverlord » 18 Apr 2011 23:16

I was planning to watch it, then I remembered I canceled HBO last month. :cry:

prongs

#11 Post by prongs » 19 Apr 2011 13:53

First episode was great,the bad thing is I have to wait 7 days for the second one :D
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

The Rider Of Rohan

#12 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 19 Apr 2011 19:23

I' ll download it this weekend. I have been looking for something worthwhile to replace Legend Of The Seeker on my Sunday evening.

Last weekend I watched the making-off, although Boromir did get really old. But it looks great. Don' t care about the books, but it' s one of those shows I really want to like.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

prongs

#13 Post by prongs » 21 Apr 2011 04:08

Although he's 50-ish, Sean Bean seems the right choice for the role and to be honest he seems a lot younger to me :)

The Rider Of Rohan

#14 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Apr 2011 08:15

The first episode disappointing. The production is excellent and there are some great actors, but the teleplay is actually quite bad. Many characters appear without so much as an introduction, and the narrative lacks focus - for the most part the episode fails to explain where it's going. There's a distinct lack of action and tension too.

I hope the next episodes will be better written, otherwise the series will head for a Camelot-like disaster.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

faery

#15 Post by faery » 24 Apr 2011 08:52

Hmm. I loved it, but then again, I read the books, so I semi-knew who everyone was and such. They really kept to the structure and way of the books, and there is it also 2 storylines (the one in Winterfell, and the one with the girl and her brother), which are not that connected. I do agree with the fact that the characters are not introduced thoroughly, but I disagree in that that is a bad thing. the introduction of important people (like the Stark-children) is done more subtle. I would give it a bit more time, if I were you, since this was really more of an introduction of all there is to come :)

The Rider Of Rohan

#16 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Apr 2011 09:10

True, but even an introduction could (and should) be done properly. Fellowship of the Ring had a great introduction, which introduced its audience to everyone and everything whilst giving a general direction of things to come. Game of Thrones is a royal mess in comparison. It moves back and forth between characters and places and you never really have any idea what's going on.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

t.a.j.

#17 Post by t.a.j. » 24 Apr 2011 09:32

Well, it starts off in medias res and introduces concepts and characters along the way. The first episode did set up the primary conflicts: the Targaryens in exile, Jaime & Cersei Lanister's incestous relationship and the tension between King and Queen, the death of Jon Arryn and the suggestion that it was murder and the white walkers beyond the wall. It ends with a cliffhanger, well, its past the hanging part there, but still, ... You learn about the Seven Kindoms, that Robert and Ned fought a war to win the Iron Throne from the Targaryens, that Ned's sister died and that Robert was in love with her. The concept of the wall and the Night's Watch is introduced.
I think it was quite well done.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#18 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Apr 2011 13:28

Actually I didn't learn any of those things. The only things that stuck with me is that Boromir beheads a guy he shouldn't, that Sarah Conner is having a secret affair, some guy touches his sister's boob and that a kid plays Assassin's Creed and gets pushed out of a window. That's hardly introducing anything, it's just a tour-de-force of poorly explained concepts.

I mean: we hardly learn anything about Sean Bean's character. Now if they expect us to follow one guy for two seasons, then at least they could've taken the liberty of actually telling us who he is. A lot of things are poorly explained too and just leaves you guessing. At one point Sean Bean insists on his son toughening up because the winter coming. So what? Winters come and go every year, so at least give us some clue as to why this winter is so much more important than the one you had last year.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Sleeping Dragon

#19 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 24 Apr 2011 16:51

the introduction was excellent for all the reasons Tex mentioned. it managed to keep me interested even though there was very little action. i like the opening credits with all the cities' cutouts, really gives a great taste for the different designs and art behind every faction. also, the midget guy, hope that character gets more stuff going on.

more also, boobies and doggie-style galore. :mrgreen:
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

T3hOverlord

#20 Post by T3hOverlord » 25 Apr 2011 03:05

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Actually I didn't learn any of those things. The only things that stuck with me is that Boromir beheads a guy he shouldn't, that Sarah Conner is having a secret affair, some guy touches his sister's boob and that a kid plays Assassin's Creed and gets pushed out of a window. That's hardly introducing anything, it's just a tour-de-force of poorly explained concepts.

I mean: we hardly learn anything about Sean Bean's character. Now if they expect us to follow one guy for two seasons, then at least they could've taken the liberty of actually telling us who he is. A lot of things are poorly explained too and just leaves you guessing. At one point Sean Bean insists on his son toughening up because the winter coming. So what? Winters come and go every year, so at least give us some clue as to why this winter is so much more important than the one you had last year.
In Westeros, the seasons last like 10 years each.

Palantyre

#21 Post by Palantyre » 25 Apr 2011 05:02

Actually I didn't learn any of those things. The only things that stuck with me is that Boromir beheads a guy he shouldn't, that Sarah Conner is having a secret affair, some guy touches his sister's boob and that a kid plays Assassin's Creed and gets pushed out of a window. That's hardly introducing anything, it's just a tour-de-force of poorly explained concepts.
It was quite clearly conveyed that the beheaded guy was a deserter and the punishment for desertion is death, that Viserys is pretty damn obsessed with getting back "his" throne, and that Jaime and Cersei are siblings and in an incestuous affair.
All in all, I've read quite a few comments from people who haven't read the books and you're the first one I've heard of having trouble understanding what's up. To be brutally honest, if what you said was all you could figure out from the episode, the fault is in your comprehension and not the show.
In Westeros, the seasons last like 10 years each.
Actually they tend to be rather erratic in duration from what I've understood/can remember. And at the time the series starts, a very long summer is slowly starting to turn to autumn. Also, each of the noble houses has their own motto, and the Starks' motto is "Winter is coming."
And I would agree that these two elements of the setting should have been made known somehow, the Stark motto in itself doesn't make as much sense without this knowledge.

The Rider Of Rohan

#22 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 25 Apr 2011 08:19

T3hOverlord wrote:In Westeros, the seasons last like 10 years each.
I know, but where exactly did they explain that in the episode?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

t.a.j.

#23 Post by t.a.j. » 25 Apr 2011 15:08

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
T3hOverlord wrote:In Westeros, the seasons last like 10 years each.
I know, but where exactly did they explain that in the episode?
I think that is the one good point you have. They don't and that is a clear lack, since that notion is important.

The Rider Of Rohan

#24 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 25 Apr 2011 15:39

Obviously I have a good point - you'd actually be surprised to learn how often that happens. :P
spamel wrote:
Periods.

T3hOverlord

#25 Post by T3hOverlord » 25 Apr 2011 20:16

I never actually watched an episode yet, just read the books, so I have nothing really to say.

Skyflat

#26 Post by Skyflat » 30 Apr 2011 13:16

I saw the 1st and the 2nd episode and I am fucking waiting the 3rd one!!! Amazing series!! :D Close to the end of each episode is the most ACTION part!!!
Hails from Cyprus!!!
http://www.Cy-Metal.com

somnia

#27 Post by somnia » 02 May 2011 15:47

So, I haven't read the books, should I watch the series or read the books first?
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

Edain

#28 Post by Edain » 02 May 2011 21:02

Well, without having read the books I started with the first episode and was immediately hooked. Though I didn't understand everything (had some bad audio and English isn't my first language) I just loved it. Great actors (especially Tyrion stands out), good design, some quite interesting storylines, sex and violence - and I didn't regret watching ep2. On the contrary - I love it. :)
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Grim

#29 Post by Grim » 03 May 2011 07:28

it really good. the first episode was really promising ;)
...Why do we despise the world that gave us life? Why wouldn't the world survive us, like any organism survives a virus? ...What would that look like? What if this is the last winter, before the collapse? And hope dies.
The Last Winter

„Няма власт над оная глава, която е готова да се отдели от плещите си в името на свободата и за благото на цялото човечество.“
Христо Ботев (1848 - 1876)

somnia

#30 Post by somnia » 03 May 2011 20:23

Couldn't wait and watched them all today. Awesome atmosphere, curious setting. I like that the fantasy is barely there.
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

Cerbere

#31 Post by Cerbere » 04 May 2011 23:49

Palantyre wrote:Welp, I saw the first episode today. It was pretty much exactly as well-done as I anticipated, and as faithful to the books as could be asked for.
My thoughts exactly.

Edain

#32 Post by Edain » 07 May 2011 20:10

Just because I can't watch this often enough. Enjoy. :mrgreen:

Grim

#33 Post by Grim » 09 May 2011 10:21

ABSOLUTELY EPIC!!! now something off topic: have you heard something about the upcoming WOFT series... I am really looking forward to see what they'll be like. :D
...Why do we despise the world that gave us life? Why wouldn't the world survive us, like any organism survives a virus? ...What would that look like? What if this is the last winter, before the collapse? And hope dies.
The Last Winter

„Няма власт над оная глава, която е готова да се отдели от плещите си в името на свободата и за благото на цялото човечество.“

t.a.j.

#34 Post by t.a.j. » 09 May 2011 10:47

I was bit disappointed by Episode 3. It felt very rushed. And it felt odd that they would introduce the whole long seasons stuff now. Also where is Ghost?

The Rider Of Rohan

#35 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 09 May 2011 20:48

Grim wrote:ABSOLUTELY EPIC!!! now something off topic: have you heard something about the upcoming WOFT series... I am really looking forward to see what they'll be like. :D
Care to explaing what WOFT stands for (aside from Waste Of Friggin Time)?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Desert_Storm

#36 Post by Desert_Storm » 09 May 2011 22:16

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Grim wrote:ABSOLUTELY EPIC!!! now something off topic: have you heard something about the upcoming WOFT series... I am really looking forward to see what they'll be like. :D
Care to explaing what WOFT stands for (aside from Waste Of Friggin Time)?
:lol:
Maybe "Wheel Of Fucking Time"?

Grim

#37 Post by Grim » 10 May 2011 07:47

ou my mistake :) i wanted to write WOT
The Last Winter

The Rider Of Rohan

#38 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 10 May 2011 21:48

WOT, okay. Once again: care to explain what that stand for?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Desert_Storm

#39 Post by Desert_Storm » 10 May 2011 23:34

And once again I can just guess, but it's probably my suggestion minus the "fucking" :)

Grim

#40 Post by Grim » 11 May 2011 08:07

:mrgreen: exactly
The Last Winter

prongs

#41 Post by prongs » 13 May 2011 02:35

a Wheel of Time series...hmmm...that sounds...miserable :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Don't you guys think that it's time studios created something new rather than making series/movies based on video games,books,songs. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy a god book adaptation every now and then but it's getting kind of boring :roll:

The Rider Of Rohan

#42 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 13 May 2011 17:38

Dunno what's against it, really. There are tons of series that aren't based on books. In fact, it's pretty safe to say that they're a minority when you look on the total amount of what's to offer.

Besides, how many tv series have been based on fantasy books in the last couple of years? There's Game of Thrones and Legend of the Seeker, but no more that I can think of.

Besides. A good story is a good story. Books have been adapted into tv-series since the days of Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejuidice, and there's nothing against the idea per se (as long as the outcome is good).
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Beren Ercharmion

#43 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 17 May 2011 22:37

Renly Baratheon & Loras Tyrell? Come on :/

Palantyre

#44 Post by Palantyre » 18 May 2011 03:26

Beren Ercharmion wrote:Renly Baratheon & Loras Tyrell? Come on :/
Actually, from what I read, it has been hinted at in the books. I sure as hell completely missed it though. Gotta reread them and keep an eye out for those hints.

t.a.j.

#45 Post by t.a.j. » 18 May 2011 07:44

Palantyre wrote:
Actually, from what I read, it has been hinted at in the books. I sure as hell completely missed it though. Gotta reread them and keep an eye out for those hints.
I found it quite obivious. The only reason why it was never explicitly said was that none of them is a PoV character.

Edain

#46 Post by Edain » 18 May 2011 12:19

Wow, it's just getting more intense with every new episode.
Highlights: The dialogue between Robert and Cersei and the last scene with Ned and Jaime. Every single episode seems to have a nasty cliffhanger that makes waiting for the next episode just unbearable. :evil:

And I actually managed NOT to read any spoilers, usually I just can't resist. :mrgreen:

Beren Ercharmion

#47 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 18 May 2011 20:36

t.a.j. wrote:
Palantyre wrote:
I found it quite obivious. The only reason why it was never explicitly said was that none of them is a PoV character.
Really? I didn't think about that at all.

Palantyre

#48 Post by Palantyre » 19 May 2011 02:22

The dialogue between Robert and Cersei
I loved that part too. It was a great reminder of how they're both still just fragile human beings, trapped in their roles.
"I can't even remember what she looked like... I only know that she was the one thing I ever wanted. Someone took her away from me... The Seven Kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind." <- fantastic acting from Mark Addy.

I also have to admire Maisie Williams playing Arya. More often than not that sort of "lively" child characters just annoy me, but she manages to not only be not annoying, but even likeable. That girl should have a bright acting career in front of her.

Ligandil

#49 Post by Ligandil » 22 May 2011 18:51

i havent read the books, but since episode 1 i love the series, and read the wiki plot, though dont rememember much, anyway since i wont read the books, it doesnt matter much

and those lannisters how i hate them, the arrogant asshole and that bitch , Tyrion is a nice guy very clever i should spare him

uu can't wait till tomorrow to watch it!

Sleeping Dragon

#50 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 24 May 2011 20:03

man, i love this series. it's fucking awesome!!

also: more boobies. :mrgreen:
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*