Fallout: New Vegas

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Palantyre

Fallout: New Vegas

#1 Post by Palantyre » 27 Oct 2010 17:00

I was going to post this in the Best PC RPG game thread first, but then I thought "Fuck it, this deserves a thread of its own."

So, after about 40 hours of playing, I think I'll have to add Fallout: New Vegas to my list of best computer RPGs. Note that Fallout 2 is also one of the best ever, I only mentioned The Witcher and Mass Effect earlier in that topic off the top of my head.

While Fallout 3 was a pretty good game, it felt hollow somehow. The free roaming got boring after a while because, while the environment was really well done and atmospheric, it kinda lacked actual content. And most of the quests weren't that interesting, to me they were mostly just excuses to decide which way to wander next. The main plot was pretty meh also, despite the interesting premise. And the dialogue, although passable, was nothing to write home about. Also I didn't like how the game gave you chems and ammo like it was candy, and it was way too much of a plain shooter in some places.

Fallout: New Vegas on the other hand... shiiiiiit. It does almost everything a lot better than Fallout 3, and the things it doesn't (like crappy AI) are more limitations of the game engine than Obsidian's fault. The beginning of the game is maybe a little bit on the slow side, during the first few hours I was kinda surprised how little side quests they were. But after keeping at it and following through the first stages of the main questline, things quickly got a lot more interesting. Besides, in the beginning you get to hunt geckos and collect xander root and broc flowers for healing powder, to a Fallout veteran like me that was pretty awesome.
And the references to the old games don't end there, NPCs will often mention places like the Boneyard, Klamath and New Reno. You might even run into someone familiar. Furthermore, the game's soundtrack actually uses many tracks from the old games. Which is nice because a) it helps a great deal in creating an authentic Fallout feel, and b) it's really atmospheric music in its own right.

Then there's the new Hardcore mode. I think this should be called "default mode" and the normal mode "lame mode". In Hardcore mode ammunition has weight and healing isn't instant. This makes the game a little more challenging in just the right way. Also, you need to eat, drink and sleep every now and then. It's not that strict really, but it does add a nice touch of realism to the game that makes it a lot more immersive and engaging.

So all in all, Fallout: New Vegas is basically just like Fallout 3 but done way better, and with a bunch of cool new features and additions. And importantly, it's much more of a Fallout game than Fallout 3 ever was.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

The Rider Of Rohan

Re: Fallout: New Vegas

#2 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Oct 2010 18:29

Sounds great. I played Fallout 3 for some hours and completely agree with you on you critiscism - in fact, you are the first person to mirror my reasons for disliking it. I wasn't planning on playing New Vegas, but after your post I might.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Valkyrja

#3 Post by Valkyrja » 28 Oct 2010 07:23

New Vegas has been sitting on my desk taunting me for days. I haven't had time to play it, but I can't wait!

Cerbere

#4 Post by Cerbere » 29 Oct 2010 01:32

Fallout 2 is indeed one of the greatest games ever, I can't wait to get this.

Palantyre

#5 Post by Palantyre » 04 Nov 2010 01:56

Damnit, I'm running out of stuff to do. :P
I'm at max level, and the map is chock full of discovered places, and I have no side quests to speak of left in my quest log. But I don't want to finish yet! I know of at least one thing I haven't found yet, but I don't want to look it up in the wiki or anything. Will just have to start going through locations I've discovered but not really explored, I suppose.

On the other hand I could just finish the game and start over with a different character...

Sleeping Dragon

#6 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 20 Mar 2011 17:36

i played the fuck out of this game the past two months. it's simply awesome.

the immersive aspects are so well done they can only be explained by this:
i was walking around scavanging when i came across a plunger. i proceeded to pick it up thinking "hey, i could use this to unclog the sink in my apartment".
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Palantyre

#7 Post by Palantyre » 20 Mar 2011 23:40

Sleeping Dragon wrote:i played the fuck out of this game the past two months. it's simply awesome.

the immersive aspects are so well done they can only be explained by this:
i was walking around scavanging when i came across a plunger. i proceeded to pick it up thinking "hey, i could use this to unclog the sink in my apartment".
Haha, yeah I know what you mean. While I haven't really done it in New Vegas, I spent ridiculous amounts of time in Oblivion and Morrowind just decorating my place. :lol:

As for the plungers in FO3 and FONV, I think it's a gross oversight from the devs that you can't beat things with them. Not saying it should be an affective weapon, but damnit I want to kill things with a plunger!

Sleeping Dragon

#8 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 21 Mar 2011 09:10

actually, i think you can use it as ammo for the rock-it launcher in fallout 3. :wink:

Palantyre

#9 Post by Palantyre » 21 Mar 2011 19:10

Yeah, but it's just not the same. :/

Baby_Kürsch

#10 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 27 Jul 2011 15:21

Im on 48 hours with my good character and 14 hours on my bad. Been playing nothing but Fallout New Vegas for at least 3 weeks. Love it
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

spamel

#11 Post by spamel » 03 Aug 2011 00:25

This is the most up to date game I have played in years, and it is amazing. I haven't played playstation much in the past, so it has took me some time to get used to the controls, but the game play is immersive and it feels like a futuristic morrowind to me. I enjoy finding and repairing weapons, battling the Legion and smashing folk apart with my supersledge! Excellent game, I may even get a PS3 for myself and have a blast whenever I like!
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

JustinWalker

#12 Post by JustinWalker » 21 Aug 2011 13:27

I have really enjoyed Fallout 3. Of course, playing it on the PC opens up a whole new world, thanks to the modding community. Most of the new features in NV were already developed by the modding community for F3.

I have not tried NV yet, unfortunately. The storyline didn't really grab me, so I never felt motivated to pick it up. However, the more I read about it, the more I'm wanting to play it. Are there any good mods for it on the PC, or should I just pick up the console version?

wade-newb

#13 Post by wade-newb » 21 Aug 2011 14:42

JustinWalker wrote:I have really enjoyed Fallout 3. Of course, playing it on the PC opens up a whole new world, thanks to the modding community. Most of the new features in NV were already developed by the modding community for F3.

I have not tried NV yet, unfortunately. The storyline didn't really grab me, so I never felt motivated to pick it up. However, the more I read about it, the more I'm wanting to play it. Are there any good mods for it on the PC, or should I just pick up the console version?
The main story is pretty weak, but there are a multitude of very interesting side quests.
I have it on console, and I'm pretty content, but mods are always awesome, and it's probably cheaper on PC too. If you're used to mods in F3, and you buy NV on console, you might feel a little underwhelmed.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

barrymorgan88

#14 Post by barrymorgan88 » 27 Jan 2012 06:27

I disagree, and think the main story was pretty solid, and the game play wasn't the greatest game I have ever played, but it was quite entertaining nonetheless. People need to stop being such elitists about games, and recognize all of the hard work that goes into making these games. Just throwing it out there... :)
wade-newb wrote:
JustinWalker wrote:I have really enjoyed Fallout 3. Of course, playing it on the PC opens up a whole new world, thanks to the modding community. Most of the new features in NV were already developed by the modding community for F3.

I have not tried NV yet, unfortunately. The storyline didn't really grab me, so I never felt motivated to pick it up. However, the more I read about it, the more I'm wanting to play itLas Vegas CouponsAre there any good mods for it on the PC, or should I just pick up the console version?
The main story is pretty weak, but there are a multitude of very interesting side quests.
I have it on console, and I'm pretty content, but mods are always awesome, and it's probably cheaper on PC too. If you're used to mods in F3, and you buy NV on console, you might feel a little underwhelmed.

Led Guardian

#15 Post by Led Guardian » 12 Dec 2013 18:54

ARISE, TOPIC! ARISE AND WALK THE FORUM ONCE AGAIN!

Anyway, just wanted to mention here that GOG is offering Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics for FREE for the next couple days. I fully intend to take advantage of this. Except I can't right now. The servers have been flooded so hard that I can't even create an account. Hopefully they clear up enough to get in sometime soon, or I will be very sad.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Sleeping Dragon

#16 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 13 Dec 2013 16:43

Already managed to get my copies yesterday.
Just so you know, by opening an account you also get some classic games for free. Some of my favourite stuff from the olden days like Ultima games and Tyrian 2000.

GoG is Good, All praise be to GoG!

MythsOfMetal

#17 Post by MythsOfMetal » 06 Mar 2014 03:05

Fallout: New Vegas is one of my favourite RPGs, and I also like it better than Fallout 3. I really can't get enough of the atmosphere the game has. Also, is it just the difficulty I'm playing the game on, or what could it be, because when I found Deathclaws to fight in NV, they were a lot easier to kill than the ones I cam across in FO3, even though I would consider myself less well equipped in my FO:NV playthrough when I came upon Deathclaws for the first time. I had heard Deathclaws were worse in NV. but I experienced the exact opposite and was able to kill dozens in NV, whereas in FO3 I died when a second Deathclaw joined in attacking me with the first one.