Sherlock Holmes (the 2009 movie)

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Orodaran

Sherlock Holmes (the 2009 movie)

#1 Post by Orodaran » 18 Sep 2010 23:52

(Since now there's a whole section for movies, I guess I'll start opening many topics about movies :P )

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988045/

Anyone saw the Sherlock Holmes movie of Guy Ritchie? all I knew about it is that it was a movie about a modern version of Sherlock Holmes filled with action, and I watched it just for the hell of it, but damn I was pleasantly surprised! this movie rocks, as any movie about Sherlock Holmes where there is NOT the fake catch-phrase "Elementary Watson" :wink: while looking very diverse at first glance, it stays closer to the original character of Sherlock Holmes more than many other adaptations, and it's a very good and enjoyable action thriller, with a clever plot and also many funny moments. Advised to everyone!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

The Rider Of Rohan

Re: Sherlock Holmes (the 2009 movie)

#2 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 19 Sep 2010 08:07

What you said. Excellent movie.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Palantyre

#3 Post by Palantyre » 19 Sep 2010 08:24

I agree completely. Saw this in the cinema with my girlie, and we weren't disappointed at all. Downey Jr and Law are great in their roles, and the banter between them is just too funny.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

The Rider Of Rohan

#4 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 19 Sep 2010 08:56

Agreed. In the first 5 or 10 mins I thought the casting was a bit strange, but it quickly turned out for the better. I hope they'll do a sequel soon.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

corrupted old gnom

#5 Post by corrupted old gnom » 19 Sep 2010 12:02

wasn't the end calling for a sequel?

i can second all you've written so far - an entertaining movie, though i doubt i'll watch this one countless times ;)
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Orodaran

#6 Post by Orodaran » 19 Sep 2010 20:03

Indeed the ending set up the sequel, and by reading around in the internet I found that next month, according to Jude Law, the shootings will begin, and it will be released around October 2011.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

End Of An Era

#7 Post by End Of An Era » 19 Sep 2010 21:31

Palantyre wrote:I agree completely. Saw this in the cinema with my girlie, and we weren't disappointed at all. Downey Jr and Law are great in their roles, and the banter between them is just too funny.
same here :) didn't expect the movie to be that entertaining and actually quite good!