Reading "New Spring" before "The Eye of the World"?

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Webmaster
Site Admin

Reading "New Spring" before "The Eye of the World"?

#1 Post by Webmaster » 08 Apr 2010 11:57

Once upon a time I read the first 5 books in the "Wheel of Time" series from Robert Jordan. I am planning on going back and reading the whole series when it is finally finished. Does it make sense to read "New Spring" before I start with "The Eye of the World"?

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Reading "New Spring" before "The Eye of the World"?

#2 Post by Webmaster » 09 Apr 2010 09:46

And what the hell does this have to do with my question?

Gandalf de Grijze

#3 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 09 Apr 2010 13:11

spambot 2.0?
as for your question, i have no clue, haven't read them
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

jophelerks

#4 Post by jophelerks » 09 Apr 2010 17:22

I started reading New Spring and in my opinion there's not much point in reading it - hence my not even being able to finish. From what I read, it just seemed to be some backstory on Moiraine and Lan. Up to you whether to read it or not, but I don't think it's going to do much except maybe get you to know Lan and Moiraine better. The series is perfectly epic without it. 8) I actually started rereading it recently, too.

T3hOverlord

#5 Post by T3hOverlord » 16 Jul 2010 22:17

I started with tEotW and it was full of epic win and pwn, then i read the great hunt then the dragon reborn then the shadow rising then I read New Spring, and i must say, its was pretty useless, especially since moiraine and lan become much less prominant as the story goes on (they arent as important as they were in tEotW) you dont have to know about Moiraine growing up the the amyrilon seat or how they first found out about the dragon and things like that, the books are already complex enough! :lol:

Grim

#6 Post by Grim » 03 May 2011 07:42

well if you are familiar with the "Wheel of Time" universe reading New Spring first make sense, but if you start reading it without knowing the basics of the world you won't get it and it will sound too confused.... so it depends :)
...Why do we despise the world that gave us life? Why wouldn't the world survive us, like any organism survives a virus? ...What would that look like? What if this is the last winter, before the collapse? And hope dies.
The Last Winter

„Няма власт над оная глава, която е готова да се отдели от плещите си в името на свободата и за благото на цялото човечество.“
Христо Ботев (1848 - 1876)

Frozen within

#7 Post by Frozen within » 03 May 2011 12:07

I´m still only 200 pages into the first book, but that´s mainly due to the fact that I can´t find the time to read more. I love the story so far and I plan to finish the first book when I´m on my vacation next month. Plenty of time then :)
Eat more vegetables !

Grim

#8 Post by Grim » 03 May 2011 16:16

everything in the sequel is unbelievably good. dude you have 14 to go.... go on its worth it :)
...Why do we despise the world that gave us life? Why wouldn't the world survive us, like any organism survives a virus? ...What would that look like? What if this is the last winter, before the collapse? And hope dies.
The Last Winter

„Няма власт над оная глава, която е готова да се отдели от плещите си в името на свободата и за благото на цялото човечество.“
Христо Ботев (1848 - 1876)

wade-newb

#9 Post by wade-newb » 04 May 2011 16:46

I'm in the last chapter on TEOTW, and it's so awesome, I love it. There are a lot of similarities to LOTR though.
I'll probably read Deadhouse Gates afterwards though. I love both series so much.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

I.c.e Motion

#10 Post by I.c.e Motion » 30 May 2011 21:44

I say skip it. New Spring brings in some backstory to the world, stuff you hardly need to know and is connected to the more complex storylines later on in the series it doesnt add anything to the first number of books.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning" - Calvin without Hobbes

www.icemotion.nl