The Xbox 360 / Wii / PS3 / PC -thread.

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Skyclad

Re: The Xbox 360 / PS3 -thread.

#51 Post by Skyclad » 11 Mar 2010 00:11

I got the PS3 version of Final Fantasy 13 because the cut scenes were in full 1080p where-as the 360 version was 720p. Plus, one Bluray instead of 3 360 discs. Anyway, the game is probably he best in the series, IMO. Everyone knows the graphics are astonishing, but this game rules on so many levels. I thought I'd miss having towns to visit, bu I don't. I thought I'd miss a lot of tings this game got rid of from early games, but I don't. They took out all the crap that slowed earlier games down and added better tings to make the game run smoother. The game starts out easy and is basically a button-masher util the 3 or 4 hour point, butthen the Paradign Shifts come into play along with other abilities and techniques and i gets a lot tougher and use must use strategy o win even simple battles. I love the characters and the English voice acting is great. The storyline is sappy in spots, but in all actuality it's a lot "darker" than most FF games. The only thing I have a complaint about is the lack of Gil (money). You never win it in battle and must find it. I like the linearity of it, th developers mentioned the linearity of the game before it was released and they said they did that on purpose so people wouldn't wander around so long they forget the storyline. That said, I heard once you reach Cocoon it gets a lot more non-linear. I'm like 12 hours in and not a seconf of it has been boring.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

The Rider Of Rohan

#52 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 11 Mar 2010 21:24

Axing the towns was a brave move of square. I can understand why they did it. The essence of the FF-games so fare is, in my opinion, the battles and the storyline, and this game delivers lots of it. Essential you're running through a corridor with two walls on the side for more than 50 hours, but they're beautiful walls too look at.

The only thing I dislike about this game is the lack of depth in the battle-system. I'm in 19 hours or so, and by now it's getting a run-of-the-mill type of affairs.

Other than that, it's a great experience, one that's fun to have for every second along the way.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Saurius

#53 Post by Saurius » 12 Mar 2010 01:46

Lack of depth?! I've been into it for about 7 hours i think and i'm still trying to grasp my mind on the endless possibilities of upgrading and assigning people what to do... this game rules purty hard. also the storyline till now is interesting.
"Sing it you pussies!"

The Rider Of Rohan

#54 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 12 Mar 2010 18:06

Yes, it lacks depth. Although I really like the battle-system and appreciate the innovative aspect it brings, it also has its downside.It might seem like endless possibilities in a way, but once you learn to stick to the ones that actually work, the battles become interchangeable and repetitive.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

The Rider Of Rohan

#55 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 14 Mar 2010 11:40

Lol
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Saurius

#56 Post by Saurius » 15 Mar 2010 22:22

^ so true :lol:
"Sing it you pussies!"

No‘am

#57 Post by No‘am » 16 Mar 2010 01:57

Didn't the battles in all of the FF games start getting pretty repetitive at one point?
Male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

Skyclad

#58 Post by Skyclad » 16 Mar 2010 05:33

No‘am wrote:Didn't the battles in all of the FF games start getting pretty repetitive at one point?

Kinda. They started out as turn based, then the ATB and a few different takes on that. But this new battle system, I've never seen anything like it. a lot of strategy involved.

Mackasfour

#59 Post by Mackasfour » 16 Mar 2010 08:20

Is it still turn based, my one huge problem with FF was turn based combat, hate it
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Saurius

#60 Post by Saurius » 16 Mar 2010 13:04

Mackasfour wrote:Is it still turn based, my one huge problem with FF was turn based combat, hate it
Which means most RPG's cause they are turned based (talking about the old skool kinda games that may take up to 30 hours to complete). Not downtalking God of War or anything but I finished it in 9 hours... cool story, but would have been nice to get some more play out of it.
"Sing it you pussies!"

Skyclad

#61 Post by Skyclad » 16 Mar 2010 17:20

Mackasfour wrote:Is it still turn based, my one huge problem with FF was turn based combat, hate it

It's turn based... kinda. Not a traditonal turn based game though. It has the ATB gauge and a ton of paradigm shifts you're changing through combat which makes it seem like an action game at times. It's nothing like the old turn based games though where you just take turns back and forth until one of you wins.

The Rider Of Rohan

#62 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Mar 2010 20:01

It's definetely not turn-based, please get your definitions right. It's menu-driven, which is something else. As Skyclad points out it has an atb-gauge, which rules out the game being turn-based just like having sex rules out being a virgin. Or something.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Mackasfour

#63 Post by Mackasfour » 17 Mar 2010 08:22

Meh, idc what it is. I hate it for that
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Drex

#64 Post by Drex » 17 Mar 2010 14:30

God of War III is badass. That is all.

Saurius

#65 Post by Saurius » 17 Mar 2010 19:48

probably but you wont get 40+ hours of gaming out of it, unless you play the game on every thinkable mode :lol:
"Sing it you pussies!"

Mackasfour

#66 Post by Mackasfour » 18 Mar 2010 06:17

Would be the only worthwhile reason for getting a PS3.... GoW3

Drex

#67 Post by Drex » 18 Mar 2010 16:01

Saurius wrote:probably but you wont get 40+ hours of gaming out of it, unless you play the game on every thinkable mode
Well, yeah, action games are generally pretty short. 40+ hours is only about 4 play throughs, and then there are the Challenges, too. I'll get that many hours no problem.
Mackasfour wrote:Would be the only worthwhile reason for getting a PS3.... GoW3
That's just silly.

The Rider Of Rohan

#68 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Mar 2010 19:33

I personally never go for a second playthrough in any game for that matter. I'm playing the game to get the experience of doing something I wouldn't be able to do in real-life. Once I've gone through that experience, I usually don't see the point behind going through it a second time. That's also why I never play sports- or racinggames, and why I prefer a game with a 40+ hour campaign to the usual modern-day game with an 8-hour singleplayer.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Drex

#69 Post by Drex » 18 Mar 2010 22:01

Only one play through? Wow, I replay all of my games. It might be a year or so, but I will replay it eventually. I've played through both Uncharted games at least 5 times each and I still love playing them. I have no idea how many times I've went through the God of War games... probably at least 10 times a piece.

Do you keep your games, or do you trade them in?

The Rider Of Rohan

#70 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Mar 2010 22:16

I keep them. Nobody wants to pay for recordables. :wink:
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Saurius

#71 Post by Saurius » 19 Mar 2010 00:44

i occasionally re-play games. i've played FF VII 3x already, busy with the 4th. Kingdom Hearts (I, Chain of Memories, II) have played i think 8 times and still busy with a re-play. some games like AC i dont feel like re-playing. Overlord II I might.

Still an 8-hour action game is okay, but I felt in GoW that the storyline was kinda thin. The history of Kratos wasn't in my opinion done... still have to play II though, so maybe more in GoW II about that (don't tell for any who have played it, don't want to be spoilered)
"Sing it you pussies!"

Cerbere

#72 Post by Cerbere » 19 Mar 2010 02:00

I played the demo, it was pretty fun

Drex

#73 Post by Drex » 19 Mar 2010 15:28

No arguments about the story, although I do enjoy it for what it is. The gameplay, art style and sheer brutality is where it's at.

The demo was actually kind of disappointing to me. I'm a huge fan of the series and when I played it I was kind of worried the 3rd game might let me down.

I haven't finished it yet, but so far I'd say GoW3 and Uncharted 2 are my two favorite games this generation.

The Rider Of Rohan

#74 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 19 Mar 2010 19:22

New games for the weekend:

- Supreme Commander 2
- Just Cause 2

I'm expecting great things from JC2. The first one was brilliant.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Mackasfour

#75 Post by Mackasfour » 20 Mar 2010 12:59

Off topic, but heard out of the blue about Snowblinds production of Lord of the Rings: War in the North, an Action RPG to be released 2011, hopefully they take their time and ace it. I really want an offline action RPG LotR game done to perfection.

The Rider Of Rohan

#76 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 20 Mar 2010 13:09

Well, that sounds good. I got a great deal of enjoyment out of The Third Age, which was a jrpg which, although it was pretty basic (almost an entry-level rpg, which was not entirely strange when you take into account that it was a movie-license), was also great at what it did.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Led Guardian

#77 Post by Led Guardian » 20 Mar 2010 15:57

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, that sounds good. I got a great deal of enjoyment out of The Third Age, which was a jrpg which, although it was pretty basic (almost an entry-level rpg, which was not entirely strange when you take into account that it was a movie-license), was also great at what it did.
Uff. Waaaaaayyy too many random encounters.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

The Rider Of Rohan

#78 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 20 Mar 2010 18:13

Like I said: it's an entry-level rpg.

Still enjoyed it lots, though.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

No‘am

#79 Post by No‘am » 21 Mar 2010 01:44

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:It's definetely not turn-based, please get your definitions right. It's menu-driven, which is something else. As Skyclad points out it has an atb-gauge, which rules out the game being turn-based just like having sex rules out being a virgin. Or something.
Isn't menu-driven just the kind of interface? It could be an rts or turn-based and be menu-driven. And a game that uses an atb-gauge is still turn-based, it's just that the turns are timed and acted according to the gauge.

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

The Rider Of Rohan

#80 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 21 Mar 2010 10:27

Nah, it's not.; Thing is, by adding an ATB the battles gain an extra layer of depth, namely timing.

Imagine that you have Spoty Teenage Boy and Token Cute Girl fighting the Green Slime and the Red Blob. In a turnbased game you would sit down, analyse the opponents and decide that you issue both characters an attack order. After that you attack, the enemies attack and you're back at the previous step. You repeat this for a couple of turns until you've taken some damage and then wonder if you should substitute the attack for the Token Cute Girl with a healing-spell. You might try to go for the quick kill which risks one of the characters going down if the next attack is heavier than expected, or you might heal up knowing that both you and the Green Slime will live to fight another day (or at least another turn).

Now, throw in an ATB. All of the four characters are acting at the same time, preferably mashing away at each other because grinding safes the world. Each character has his own speed-statistics, which might or might not be influenced by enchantments and items. If the Spotty Teenage Boy has a higher speed statistic than the girl, it might mean that he'll be able to attack five times in the same time it takes the girl to do four. Also, there's less to worry about for Token Cute Girl. She doesn't have to think a move ahead trying to estimate the damage, but she can concentrate on the most pressing matter of the moment.

All in all, turn-based rpg's have a higher risk-verses-tradeoff-element and are more tactical because of their slower pace, whereas menu-driven rpg's tend to be faster and sometimes just as hectic as any action game can be.
Last edited by The Rider Of Rohan on 21 Mar 2010 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

No‘am

#81 Post by No‘am » 21 Mar 2010 13:33

The Rider Of Rohan wrote: Now, throw in an ATB. All of the four characters are acting at the same time, preferably mashing away at each other because grinding safes the world. Each character has his own speed-statistics, which might or might not be influenced by enchantments and items. If the Spotty Teenage Boy has a higher speed statistic than the girl, it might mean that he'll be able to attack five times in the same time it takes the girl to do four. Also, there's less to worry about for Token Cute Girl. She doesn't have to think a move ahead trying to estimate the damage, but she can concentrate on the most pressing matter of the moment.
That's still turn-based, the characters don't act the same time. Once a character begins its action, no other character would start his action before the other character's action finishes resolving. The thing with the speed just means faster characters get more turns as time goes by. And as far as I remember, the gauge stops charging while another character starts its action, and continues charging once all animations are done.
The Rider Of Rohan wrote: All in all, menu-driven rpg's have a higher risk-verses-tradeoff-element and are more tactical because of their slower pace, whereas menu-driven rpg's tend to be faster and sometimes just as hectic as any action game can be.
Which is which? :)

I read some stuff about this game, seems like they took quite a bit of stuff from Chrono Cross and The Last Remnant, like using stamina instead of mana and automatic healing after battles (both really awesome things that remove annoyances from the game, even though they were considered "challenging" while they're not), no random encounters, limiting the amount you can advance in levels depending on where you are (great things that eliminate annoying grinding), chain attacks, and no direct control of your other team mates (which I don't like). Sounds good. Do you still have to use save points to save?

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

The Rider Of Rohan

#82 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 21 Mar 2010 15:21

Edited my post, thanks for pointing it out.
And as far as I remember, the gauge stops charging while another character starts its action, and continues charging once all animations are done.
That depends. In most FF's after FF5 (and also Chrono Trigger) you could choose between active and wait modes. In wait the baddies would indeed pause, whereas in active they would attack even when you were inputting your commands.

Btw, in which way did they say the game took something from Chrono Chross? I loved that game to death, but I don't really see what they have in common.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

The Rider Of Rohan

#83 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 21 Mar 2010 15:26

In between lengthy sessions Ff13, I managed to squeeze in some rounds of Just Cause 2. I love this game. It just gives you a huge island which is beautiful to look at: the colors are vibrant, the 720p panoramic view is a sight to behold, the pop-ups aren't that frequent, and the best thing of all: it is just huuuuge. The island only views as a backdrop for what the game does best: giving you cool stuff to do. It frequently borders on nonsensica, but once you get past that: there's some cool stuff to do, most of which is based on blowing things up and driving vehicles through land, sea and air.

I already loved the first part of the game, and I am feeling right at home with this one. It certainly isn't for anyone, but after TBOGT reminded me that GTAIV plays like a brick, this game is amazing.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

No‘am

#84 Post by No‘am » 21 Mar 2010 20:01

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Edited my post, thanks for pointing it out.
And as far as I remember, the gauge stops charging while another character starts its action, and continues charging once all animations are done.
That depends. In most FF's after FF5 (and also Chrono Trigger) you could choose between active and wait modes. In wait the baddies would indeed pause, whereas in active they would attack even when you were inputting your commands.

Btw, in which way did they say the game took something from Chrono Chross? I loved that game to death, but I don't really see what they have in common.
About the gauge, I meant that it's not that they pause or not when you input your commands, it's when the action gets resolved: the characters act one by one in queue and not simultaneously, each character in its own turn, after you finish inputting commands. And once they finish acting their bar starts to fill up. And when the attack/spell animation is occuring, the bars usually stop charging till it ends.
I still don't get what you mean by menu-driven.
And I say that it resembles CC, with the use of stamina instead of mana (and each attack and spell cost some stamina that refills every turn), the fact that you automatically heal up after battles (I think that was also in CC since you don't use mana for spells, if not then I was thinking about The Last Remnant) and getting rid of random encounters.

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

The Rider Of Rohan

#85 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 21 Mar 2010 22:28

Well, In CC you healed up automatically... kindof. At the end of the battle the game would give you the option to auto-use your healing items or not. It made sense: after all, in every other game you just hit X (or Y, or whatever) to bring on your inventory-screen to heal up anyways. It was one of the many things awesome about Chrono Cross.

The idea of having baddies present on the map originated from - if I recall it right - Chrono Trigger, although the scenery didn't change when you encountered an enemy. A number of the Tales-games (including Vesperia and Symphonia, though there might be others) used it too. More recently this system was used in Blue Dragon, which is a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

No‘am

#86 Post by No‘am » 21 Mar 2010 23:22

Oh right, now I remember, in CC you could also use your spells at the end of combat so as to waste less of your healing items, and in Last Remnant you just got fully healed after every fight, so you didn't need to waste any potions either.

Are there still saving points in FF13?

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

The Rider Of Rohan

#87 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 22 Mar 2010 07:23

Nope, you have to sit through the 40 hour story in one session. :P
spamel wrote:
Periods.

No‘am

#88 Post by No‘am » 22 Mar 2010 13:11

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Nope, you have to sit through the 40 hour story in one session. :P
Just like old school NES!

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

Saurius

#89 Post by Saurius » 22 Mar 2010 13:21

crap still busy with FF 13 and reaching the 40 hour mark, this game rules! 8) at first i thought the auto-heal after battles was lame, but seeing the enemies dont drop any gil for whatever reason later on it becomes pretty helpful.
"Sing it you pussies!"

The Rider Of Rohan

#90 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 22 Mar 2010 19:27

Yeah, I can imagine why they dropped it. In every other FF you do the same thing: buy 99 potions, 99 elixers and 99 phoenix downs, beat a monster, heal up and use the gil to buy new potions, elixers and phoenix down. You were healing anyway, so why not let the game do it for you?

I'm at the 35-hour mark and I think I'm nearing the end, although, knowing FF, I wouldn't be surprised if they throw five or six false endings in my face.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Guilherme

#91 Post by Guilherme » 22 Mar 2010 21:22

I'm also playing FFXIII, amazing game.

When I get tired of it I'm giving a try to Just Cause 2. It's one of best action-game experiences I had in a while. Very exciting, very crazy.

V E I N

No‘am

#92 Post by No‘am » 22 Mar 2010 22:44

So does FF13 still use saving points or can you save whenever you want, like in a normal game? I'm super cereal guys!

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

The Rider Of Rohan

#93 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 22 Mar 2010 23:23

You can't save everywhere like you could on a world-map, but there are designated savepoints (like in a dungeon). They're quite easy to find, as you'll run into one every five or so fights.

And there's a savepromt at the end of each chapter.

And there's this.

spamel wrote:
Periods.

No‘am

#94 Post by No‘am » 23 Mar 2010 00:59

Seems better than what the older games had, but I still think you should be able to save anywhere, like in other RPGs.

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

The Rider Of Rohan

#95 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 23 Mar 2010 21:53

It's official... Ff13 wore out the A-button of my controller. Fortunately I have two spares, otherwise this couldv'e been devastating.

@ Nuom: I see what you mean, but don't worry. Most battles in FF13 take less than a minute (unless you're doing it wrong), so you get enough opportunities to save.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Saurius

#96 Post by Saurius » 24 Mar 2010 01:02

buwhahahahaah! good going Ferdi! :lol:

still busy, can't see myself finishing it before the end of the week. means my schoolwork just will suffer 8)
"Sing it you pussies!"

No‘am

#97 Post by No‘am » 24 Mar 2010 02:16

Are there any minigames that you progress through on the side, like triple triad or blitzball?

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

Saurius

#98 Post by Saurius » 24 Mar 2010 14:00

nope, none the story just keeps coming at you. you will get some missions pretty late in the game for some side questing but as far as im concerned Square Enix made it perfectly clear to all the other RPG producers out there... You don't fuck with Square Enix story-wise and graphically... damn those graphics 8)
"Sing it you pussies!"

The Rider Of Rohan

#99 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Mar 2010 22:06

Hey Noam, did you actually play the minigames in the previous FF's? I'm asking because I always skipped them and never felt bad about it. The casino-type city in FF7, the card-game in FF9, blitzball in 10... never played them more than once. The only one I liked and played was FF8's card-game.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

The Rider Of Rohan

#100 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Mar 2010 22:40

Another videogame-stoy. A colleague of mine was cleaning out her attic and found a couple of hundred of cd-roms with PS One-games and asked me if I wanted to have it. Needless to say, the answer was obvious.

Today I got a full bag of games (with two more of them on their way). Owning no modded PSOne, I spent the last thirty minutes setting the stuff up on my pc using an emulator and the 360-pad.

When I played my first game - legend, a Japanese looking hack and slashgame - I realised that I was playing a game for a Sony-system, on the Linux-OS, using Microsoft's joypad.

How's that for impossibly l33t gaming?

Oh, and the game's so bad it's almost good. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.