The Xbox 360 / Wii / PS3 / PC -thread.

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
The Rider Of Rohan

The Xbox 360 / Wii / PS3 / PC -thread.

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 15 Feb 2010 19:32

I figured this forum could use a thread devoted to these consoles.

And it's just three more weeks till...

This means I have to make haste with Dragon Age Origins, as I never play more than one RPG at a time.
Last edited by The Rider Of Rohan on 09 Aug 2010 11:07, edited 2 times in total.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Saurius

Re: The Xbox 360 / PS3 -thread.

#2 Post by Saurius » 15 Feb 2010 20:58

I guess you mean FF XIII ferdi? cause it says "Image" :lol:
"Sing it you pussies!"

The Rider Of Rohan

#3 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 15 Feb 2010 21:00

You sure? Because on my screen it displays the box art of FF13 (and yes, you guessed it right).

Oh, all the sleepless nights ahead, days at work spent daydreaming, the endless grinding...

I'm so hoping this will be the best one since FF9!
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Skyclad

#4 Post by Skyclad » 15 Feb 2010 21:50

I have to figure out what version of FF 13 to get. It was reported the PS3 version looked a lot better than he 360 version, but they decided to dumb down the PS3 version's graphics so it would look as close to the 360 version as possible. Why? So Square wouldn't be slapped with lawsuits by the Microsoft folks in the even the better looking PS3 version reflected negatively on the 360. It's weird, some games run/look better on the PS3, some look/run better on the 360. I guess Bayonetta is awesome on the 360 but royally sucks on the PS3.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

The Rider Of Rohan

#5 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 15 Feb 2010 22:54

Did they actually do that? That's just silly. I remember in the old days, Mortal Kombat looked a lot better on the Snes than it did on the Mega Drive (Genesis to you Americans). Nobody complained about it, because everybody was able to play the game on their console of choice.

Oh well. Do you own both consoles? I would go for the PS3-versions if the graphics turned out to be better. If not, go for whichever controller and rewards (trophies or achievements) you prefer.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

power_dysfunction

#6 Post by power_dysfunction » 16 Feb 2010 05:52

I'd imagine if the graphics on the PS3 were 'dumbed-down' to match those on 360, it would still play better, with less bugs and framerate issues and such. Both platforms seem capable of similar graphical prowess (though I have yet to see anything on 360 that quite looks like Uncharted 2), with cross-platform games it's more a matter of which platform it was originally developed for.

Of course, cross-platform games almost always look far better on PC than on 360 or PS3 if you have a fast enough PC.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

The Rider Of Rohan

#7 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Feb 2010 19:47

You are right on all counts, and I too expect FF13 to look better on the PS3. Oh well. I remember that this game was originally announced as an exclusive for the Sony's machine and ported later on. Seeing that this game and GTA4 were the only things that would have convinced me to buy a PS3, I'm quite happy with saving 300 euro's and having slightly better graphics. And they won't be that terrible either on the Xbox... they're still miles ahead of Final Fantasy 6 on the snes (the first FF I ever played).

Reviews of FF13 have been mixed to say the very least. None of the reviews have been posted online, but from what I gather, they' re mostly due to the linearity of FF13. Seems like a strange argument to me, but still.

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/928790- ... index.html
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Led Guardian

#8 Post by Led Guardian » 17 Feb 2010 00:14

Can't say I'm excited about FF13 personally. Heavy Rain on the other hand, that I want to play. Badly.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Cerbere

#9 Post by Cerbere » 17 Feb 2010 01:22

The only Final Fantasy's I've played are II, III, and X. And X is the only one I have any progress in basically. I was wondering which FInal Fantasy's you guys would recommend my buy next. I can get anything for the NES-N64/PS1 free with emulators but past that, I'll probably have to pick it up at a game store.

Mackasfour

#10 Post by Mackasfour » 17 Feb 2010 02:46

What about hardcore PC gamers eh? :P

I'm not going to be buying any games for a while. I am catching up on the awesomeness that last years Gaming had. I am still on Dragon Age, MW2, L4D2 and I haven't even opened Borderlands yet. Must finish all these entirely before I move onto anything else :P
Last edited by Mackasfour on 28 Feb 2010 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Mackasfour

#11 Post by Mackasfour » 17 Feb 2010 02:47

Bioshock 2 looks promising as well. Gonna keep an eye on that :P

As for the FF franchise, I never liked it. Not my style, but each to their own
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Andreas

#12 Post by Andreas » 17 Feb 2010 16:37

PC gaming is awesome. Right now I'm a bit nostalgic, I'm playing Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (GOD MODE, UNLIMITED FORCE! :twisted: ).

And coming weekend, a friend of mine will receive Alien vs Predator, so we'll have to play that game too.

The Rider Of Rohan

#13 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 Feb 2010 20:55

Mackasfour wrote:What about hardcore PC gamers eh? :P

I'm not going to be buying any games for a while. I am catching up on the awesomeness that last years Gaming had. I am still on AC2, Dragon Age, MW2, L4D2 and I haven't even opened Borderlands yet. Must finish all these entirely before I move onto anything else :P
Nice line-up of games. DR:O is amazing as fuck and I had a lot of fun playinmg AC2 (although the most fun was to be had in the first half of the game - after that I lost interest in the number of sideshows and just raced towards the ending). But AC2 was great. The gameplay wasn't as balanced as part 1, but I appreciated the extra RPG-elements.

I'm currently playing Borderlands btw. Nice game, though not amazing. I love how it adopts MW1's controls and hud,wich immediately makes it feel at home. Missions are quite repetitive, but it's the ideal game when you want to be entertained for a couple of hours without the obligation of having to think.

Btw, this sounds interesting too... This column features a viewpoint on Fable 3 which I feel hits the spot. The writer describes it as 'Populous on the ground' and that sounds like a good thing. I don't expect Fable 2 to top the experience of DR:O and FF13, but I am certainly looking forward to this piece of roleplaying later this year.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9020123
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Saurius

#14 Post by Saurius » 17 Feb 2010 22:05

@ ferdi: it says just image at my computer...

anyway i dont have super high hopes for this game, but i have to change my complete school schedule... though i dont really see why it would be downtuned to the 360... if you watch the trailers, that is i believe PS3 version and god fucking damn! those look very good
"Sing it you pussies!"

The Rider Of Rohan

#15 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Feb 2010 00:31

Well, seeing that the PS3 is the more powerful console of the two, it's easy to assume that it will have the best graphics. And it has a BR-drive instead of dvd's, which may or may not make a difference with a game the size of FF13. It has already been confirmed that the 360-version will use compressed graphics and audio (whereas it will be uncompressed on the ps3), which could in theory lead to a loss of quality and/or longer loading times. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it's hardly noticeable when you bought your tv and stereo for under 1000 euro's.

As a rule of thumb, a game always looks better on the system it was designed for as opposed to the one it was ported to.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Mackasfour

#16 Post by Mackasfour » 18 Feb 2010 06:49

PS3 may be a beastier machine, but it's online aspect is fail compared to Xboxlive. Which is why I prefer them over PS3, but PC is still better anyday for me :D. Had it built for gaming

The Rider Of Rohan

#17 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Feb 2010 19:35

True, Xbox Live is great. The main reason why I resist the temptation of buying a PS3, is because I think the 360-controller is the best controller ever. It works perfectly for me on every game (bar Street Fighter) that I play. I never liked the PS-pad that much. The embedded d-bad feels unresponsive to me, and it is just too small to hold comfortable. It's made for tiny Japanese hands after all (my hands are so big it makes my penis look small when I jack off).

That said I will still probably buy a second-hand PS3 to play all its exclusives towards the end of the machine's lifecycle, just like I bought my PS2 in 2004.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Saurius

#18 Post by Saurius » 18 Feb 2010 19:58

well i disagree ferdi... the controllers are pretty much the same. Difference is the distances between buttons and analog sticks. also i have noticed that the L2 and R2 buttons on the PS3 controller are better than the 360's. With the 360's you have to push em all down for some games to react, while the PS3 shoulder buttons just need a little flick and it's okay.

anyway doesnt really matter, just a matter of taste anyway... only thing matters is that you can play awesome games like God of War on the PS 8)
"Sing it you pussies!"

The Rider Of Rohan

#19 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Feb 2010 20:28

That's actually what I like. When I pull the trigger in CoD I want the feeling that I'm actually pulling a trigger and experiencing the recoil through the controller's vibration. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Saurius

#20 Post by Saurius » 18 Feb 2010 22:06

when i play CoD its on the PC... Shooters on PC > console
"Sing it you pussies!"

Mackasfour

#21 Post by Mackasfour » 19 Feb 2010 09:25

Saurius wrote:when i play CoD its on the PC... Shooters on PC > console
You just won the thread.

I started as a gamer on Playstation till the 360, now I prefer the Xbox controller anyday.

Saurius

#22 Post by Saurius » 19 Feb 2010 12:04

you started as a gamer on the PS?! damn... that's pretty late... seeing I started on the NES somewhere around '92/'93 8)
"Sing it you pussies!"

Mackasfour

#23 Post by Mackasfour » 19 Feb 2010 12:19

I be young blood man, doesn't make me any less of a hardcore gamer though :P

Frozen within

#24 Post by Frozen within » 20 Feb 2010 20:45

The 360 is pretty cool, though it´s the buggiest piece of machinery I ever owned. No red ring of dead yet though, I´m hoping to never see it. Lately I´ve been more active on Xbox Live again, mostly kicking ass and getting my ass kicked in Halo 3´s multiplayer games (still awesome). I´m looking for a new really cool online game, preferably with tons of shooting exploding action :) Like L4D2 or MW2 or something. And by the end of this year we will have what seems to becoming the greatest Halo game yet (Reach), Crysis 2 is coming fairly soon and Metro 2033 is on the brink of its release. Goodie goodie shooting fun 8)

edit : By the way, below are all games I played so far, and Munk E SpankR80 is my Live account, feel free to add me or diss the piss out of me, whatever you prefer :wink:

- Fallout 3. Awesome awesome awesome, that´s how you create a huge open lively world ! Where most things are dead btw, ironically ! It wouldn´t do the game justice to say it´s just Oblivion with guns. But it is, and it works really well.
- Halo 3. This shooter is just so damn cool. Being a fps veteran, I can honestly say that the Halo series is one of the most compelling and brilliantly executed set of shooters, with a great story behind it all. Not that I care about that stuff at the moment though, my only concern is killing folks online.
- Call of Juarez : Bound in blood. Bah. I figured westerns are cool, and so are shooters. To have both elements in one game would totally rock, I thought. But the controls are clunky, the animations are shitty and the voice acting is downright irritating. Suckiest game I played so far.
- Dragon Age : Origins. After one week I was over 30 hours in the game, that says it all. You can´t stop playing once you start, this is prime rpg stuff. Looks relatively like a heap of turds according to many folks though, but it´s funny how high standards are on this area nowadays, and I´ve never been someone to fall over inferior graphics when the things that matter (solid gameplay, compelling storyline and replay value) are in order.
- Gears of War 1 & 2. Great games, both of them. I liked the tight quarter fights of pt 1 better, the epic scale and chaotic huge fights of pt 2. Overall, I prefer the first one because of a slightly better executed storyline (imo there´s too much focus on drama and emotions in pt 2, whereas the focus should be on killing Locust and killing Locust only :) )
- GTA IV. Shit, it´s unbelievable what Rockstar pulled off with this game. A world with that much response, so vividly alive and exciting. And STILL full of hookers to beat the crap out of. Honestly, what more can one wish ?
- Assassins Creed 2. Meh, lost interest quickly, but since the whole gaming world is unanymous in calling this a superb free roaming action game, I must try again some time. Not now though.
- The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. I was in over 100 hours when I suddenly stopped playing, that´s like 2 years ago. I have no idea if I was close to finishing the game. I don´t know if this much freedom in a game works for me personally, once you get side tracked you´re out of the main plot for hours and hours. That can be a good thing, but still, a little more structure would have kept my interest alive probably.
- Dead Space. My state of mind varied from being utterly scared to terrified to the bone while playing this game. And I liked it very much :)
- Bioshock. Hated the 60´s theme initially. Then I got myself over it and discovered the best shooter on xbox360. Combining weird ass plasmid tricks with heavy firepower worked so fucking well. I especially liked booby trapping the Big daddies with electric wires in tight corridors. Man, there were lotsa memorable fights, never being sure of victory.
- Prey. This game should be referred to while reading the word ´mediocre´ or ´non-descript´ in a dictionary. Nothing is special about it, but I had still fun playing it for the largest part of the 5 hours it took me to finish it completely ... Always cool to have Judas Priest music in a game though :D
- Splinter Cell Double Agent. Played it for an hour, then gave it up. Sneaking and hiding is no fun, shooting should be done running ´all guns blazing´. Damn now I´m stuck in a Judas Priest mood.
- Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars. RTS games don´t belong on a console. I thought there could be exceptions to the rule, like not all blondes are whores. But such exceptions are wishful thinking I came to realize.
- Dead Rising. Zombies, braaaaaaains. Cracking skullcrackers' skulls with a flying V or mowing them down with a, well, lawnmower, what else, is uberfunny. Never finished the game though, its still on my to do list.
- Pro Evolution Soccer 6. I love watching football and love playing myself. I hate playing videogames of this genre though. No idea why, I simply do. I wish I figured that out before I bought this game.
- Far Cry 2. Looks fucking amazing, but offers little variety and seems to be relatively easy once you get yourself set up in a sneaky spot and take out all foes one by one, who just throw themselves at you like a bitch on heat. But again, shit this game looks amazing and plays wonderfully.
- Wolfenstein. What I wrote earlier about prey, although its a little bit deeper than that game. It looks better than the original too :) And killing naughty nazis is always fun, with veil powers that disintegrate flesh or with trustworthy bullets coming from your boomstick.
- Red Faction Guerilla. The song 'Sledgehammer' by Peter Gabriel creeps in my mind everytime I play this game, I wonder why. Maybe it's because it's remarkably funny to mow down 6 story buildings with nothing more than such a thing. And then get the fuck out of there before you get overrun by hordes of black suited basterds in laser beam firing race tanks. Cool game, maybe a little bit too easy.
- Kameo Elements of Power. Cool game, shooting hailspikes in troll asses or slapping them silly as a boxing plant. Sounds crazy and it is, but really cool too.
- The Orange Box. The best game package since the dawn of mankind. The Half Life games are the best out there, outstanding gameplay and characters you'll remember for a life time. And it has zombies you can chop in half with circle blades. Yes, I like zombies.

Why I made this post as long as I did ? Shit I don't know, didn't have anything better to do I guess. Oh wait, I could finish Dead Rising ... Because yes, I like zombies.
Last edited by Frozen within on 20 Feb 2010 22:05, edited 3 times in total.
Eat more vegetables !

Skyclad

#25 Post by Skyclad » 20 Feb 2010 20:52

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, seeing that the PS3 is the more powerful console of the two, it's easy to assume that it will have the best graphics. And it has a BR-drive instead of dvd's, which may or may not make a difference with a game the size of FF13. It has already been confirmed that the 360-version will use compressed graphics and audio (whereas it will be uncompressed on the ps3), which could in theory lead to a loss of quality and/or longer loading times. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it's hardly noticeable when you bought your tv and stereo for under 1000 euro's.

As a rule of thumb, a game always looks better on the system it was designed for as opposed to the one it was ported to.
The PS3 is more powerful, but it's also a bitch for developers to build games for the thing. By and large, if multiplatform games look better one one machine, it's usually the 360 because it's easier to develop for. Of course there are exceptions and a few games do look better for PS3. And I don't say this as a fanboy, as I won all the systems out there.

Frozen within

#26 Post by Frozen within » 20 Feb 2010 21:59

Skyclad wrote:
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, seeing that the PS3 is the more powerful console of the two, it's easy to assume that it will have the best graphics. And it has a BR-drive instead of dvd's, which may or may not make a difference with a game the size of FF13. It has already been confirmed that the 360-version will use compressed graphics and audio (whereas it will be uncompressed on the ps3), which could in theory lead to a loss of quality and/or longer loading times. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it's hardly noticeable when you bought your tv and stereo for under 1000 euro's.

The PS3 is more powerful, but it's also a bitch for developers to build games for the thing. By and large, if multiplatform games look better one one machine, it's usually the 360 because it's easier to develop for. Of course there are exceptions and a few games do look better for PS3. And I don't say this as a fanboy, as I won all the systems out there.
You're quite a lucky guy to have won them all :shock: I never won anything :cry: Not even the game ...
Eat more vegetables !

Mackasfour

#27 Post by Mackasfour » 21 Feb 2010 05:27

Oblivion got old fast for me, finished it but only cause I felt I must :P

And thanks Frozen, just reminded me of GTA IV. I still need to finish that game, lots of fun that is :D

The Rider Of Rohan

#28 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 21 Feb 2010 12:30

Props to Frozen for the great list! And you are absolutely right about almost all of the games you listed!

Especially Dragon Age... it is so friggin amazing. It looks like a PS2-game, but the depth of gameplay is astonishing.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Skyclad

#29 Post by Skyclad » 21 Feb 2010 16:05

Frozen within wrote:
Skyclad wrote:

You're quite a lucky guy to have won them all :shock: I never won anything :cry: Not even the game ...

That's a typo... I own them all, I didn't win them all. I had to pay for 'em.

Saurius

#30 Post by Saurius » 21 Feb 2010 21:26

hahahah good typo though :lol:
"Sing it you pussies!"

The Rider Of Rohan

#31 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 22 Feb 2010 23:31

Well, I just completed Dragon Age Origins with the clock ending somewhere around 42 hours. Often when I finnish a game of this size I am glad it is over, but in this case I absolutely long for more. Great game for a western RPG, and an experience I can recommend to anyone who can bring up the patience to get through the first couple of hours.

Hat's off.

Now.... still TWO more weeks to FF13. Aaaargh!
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Led Guardian

#32 Post by Led Guardian » 23 Feb 2010 21:53

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, I just completed Dragon Age Origins with the clock ending somewhere around 42 hours. Often when I finnish a game of this size I am glad it is over, but in this case I absolutely long for more. Great game for a western RPG, and an experience I can recommend to anyone who can bring up the patience to get through the first couple of hours.

Hat's off.
Oo
If it only took you 42 hours, I can only assume that you played on a low to mid-range difficulty, and don't have the obsessive need to complete every side quest and collect every piece of loot like I do. Playing on PC, I spent a little over 90 hours on one playthrough, and I did not lose that many battles.

And you won't have to long for much longer, as a full expansion is being released March 16. That will be just enough time for me to complete my second play through. :)
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

The Rider Of Rohan

#33 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 23 Feb 2010 22:58

Yeah, you're about right. I played it on the medium difficulty, which is actually pretty easy once you get the hang of pausing your battle to keep an eye on your allies. Plus, I played as an elven mage, which is probably the most overpowered character in the game. Towards the end I was level 18 with 50 magic and 45 willpower, carried a bunch of magical items which upped my magic stats and a 3.66 mage's staff. Altogether I ended up during the final mission killing Darkspawn with a single blow from my staff.

I'm actually all for playing sidequests, and when I finished the game there were a number of them on my display left, that I couldn't be bothered to finish. Why? Because the description lacked any details about where to venture. So I revisited every location to see if there were any bleeps on the map, and after I did those, I figured I couldn't' t brothered speaking to every character in the game again just to find a needle in a haystack. As much as I disliked Oblivion's abundance of sidequests, it did one thing better than DR:O: you always knew where to go.

But I figure I'll play the game through a second time, just to see how it plays out with different choices.

Btw, today I started playing Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core on the PSP, just because I couldn't stand waiting for FF13 any longer. Seriously, I feel like freezing myself for two weeks. C'mon... c'mon!
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Mackasfour

#34 Post by Mackasfour » 24 Feb 2010 08:05

The amount of fun I am having with L4D2 online can keep me tied over for a long time :P

The Rider Of Rohan

#35 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Feb 2010 21:31

Well, at the moment I am playing Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core, and I am liking it pretty much. For those who don't know it, it's a prequel to FF7 on the PSP. So despite sharing the FF7 monicker, it's actually a whole new game with a new storyline and a new hero, Zack.

The best part is actually the way it pays homage to that classic game. The atmosphere is the same, only this time it takes place in 3D (as opposed to the static hand-drawn backgrounds FF7 took place on) with spoken dialogue and FMV that is on par with more recent Final Fantasy's. Knowing that FF7 aged pretty badly from a graphical point of view, it's nice to view the world as it was intended to be. The many familiar faces and themes are what makes it great. Meeting Sephiroth early on sent shivers down my spine, and I'm sure they tucked Cloud and Tifa away in there somewhere. You start undertaking missions as part of SOLDIER, which immediately feels like the SeeD-experience from FF8 (which is a good thing).

It's branded as an action-rpg, which made me suspicious at first, but it's actually not as bad as it sounds. You walk around freely and cycle through your basic commands using L and R while constantly spamming the X-button to activate your chosen attack. Seeing that the commands are quite familiar - attack, cure, blizard etc), really the only difference is that you have to move your character out of harm's way. It still plays like a FF-game at heart: heal in time, grind a lot, make sure you deal more damage than the big scary-ass dragon, that sort of thing. It certainly isn't another disastrous Dissiadia:FF-affair.

All in all, a great game. The PSP is far from my favourite system, but a game like this makes it worthwhile.

spamel wrote:
Periods.

Saurius

#36 Post by Saurius » 26 Feb 2010 18:05

still need to play CC, got to borrow a PSP from a friend soon though when i have time/get bored by the new arsenal of games coming my way :lol:

currently playing God of War I... what an awesome game so far goddaim!!! and fully HD remastered for the PS3 too 8)
"Sing it you pussies!"

Mackasfour

#37 Post by Mackasfour » 27 Feb 2010 02:25

All God of War games are win

The Rider Of Rohan

#38 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Feb 2010 15:35

Saurius wrote:still need to play CC, got to borrow a PSP from a friend soon though when i have time/get bored by the new arsenal of games coming my way :lol:

currently playing God of War I... what an awesome game so far goddaim!!! and fully HD remastered for the PS3 too 8)
Well, if you have some recommendations for the PSP I am happy to listen. I spent an entire afternoon softmodding it, only to find out there wasn't any decent software for it. :)

CC just keeps getting better and better. I'm in for 10 hours and already met some familiar faces and went to a lot of familiar places. The story is actually quite good, and Zack is in some respects a better hero than Cloud was - mainly because there's a lot more depth to his character.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Drex

#39 Post by Drex » 27 Feb 2010 15:56

Mackasfour wrote:All God of War games are win
Only 17 more days!

Mackasfour

#40 Post by Mackasfour » 28 Feb 2010 03:00

yeah, shame I don't have a PS3. Oh wells

The Rider Of Rohan

#41 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 01 Mar 2010 22:31

Today I completed Crisis Core on the psp. What a stunning little piece of storytelling! It may not have the biggest world or the largest story, but it certainly has the biggest heart. It's amazing how much backstory to the events of FF67 they crammed into this game. Without going into any details - revealing the plot would spoil the fun - it has some of the best characterisation I have seen lately. The story takes place on a much smaller scale than FF7, so there's more room for Zack and the people around him to come to life.

The 30 minute + interactive ending is one of the best I have seen so far in any rpg. And I have seen a lot.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Led Guardian

#42 Post by Led Guardian » 02 Mar 2010 01:05

I do like me some good story telling. It's too bad I'm not a big fan of the JRPG turn-based battles, or I would play some of the FF games.

The Rider Of Rohan

#43 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 02 Mar 2010 19:06

Well, technically the last turnbased Final Fantasy-game was the third one, released in 1990 on the NES. In Final Fantasy IV they changed from turnbased to menu-driven using Square's active time battle. The difference is that in a tun-based game you input your commands for your party, execute them, wait for the other party to execute their moves, and repeat until one of the sides is sushi. In a menu-driven game you don't have to wait for the other party to finish, but you can input your commands when a character is ready (usually based on his speedrating which determines the time between two attacks). Battle is still menu-driven though.

This type of gameplay took me some getting used to in 1995 but I have always preferred it to the action-type of rpg. Battles can get just as hectic, but you have a plethora of strategic options.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Led Guardian

#44 Post by Led Guardian » 02 Mar 2010 19:54

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, technically the last turnbased Final Fantasy-game was the third one, released in 1990 on the NES. In Final Fantasy IV they changed from turnbased to menu-driven using Square's active time battle. The difference is that in a tun-based game you input your commands for your party, execute them, wait for the other party to execute their moves, and repeat until one of the sides is sushi. In a menu-driven game you don't have to wait for the other party to finish, but you can input your commands when a character is ready (usually based on his speedrating which determines the time between two attacks). Battle is still menu-driven though.

This type of gameplay took me some getting used to in 1995 but I have always preferred it to the action-type of rpg. Battles can get just as hectic, but you have a plethora of strategic options.
It's still basically turn-based though. Each character waits its turn and then attacks, as opposed to real time where everything happens continuously. I played the first hour of FFX and if i recall correctly that's how it went. One character would have a turn, I'd tell it what to do, it did that, then an enemy would attack, then another character would go, etc. And of course everything would stand still and wait for you to attack them.

The Rider Of Rohan

#45 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 02 Mar 2010 20:15

Well, even if you were waiting to input your commands, it's still not quite turn-based, because you still don't take turns as a party. But I see what you mean, and the perception during the game is obviously more important to you than the name...

...and they already thought of that and solved it from FF6 and onward. Try, if you want to, to play the game again and make it more to your liking by adjusting the settings. I would reccomend:

a) Set the ATB to ' active' instead of 'wait'. This way the baddies won't pause when you choose your attacks
b) Change battle speed to 5 or 6 instead of the default 3. This reduces the time between inputs for every character (good or bad)

When you do this, you'll experience battles becomming quite fast-paced as you race against the clock to input your commands, and never have to wait as menu's pop up pretty much continuously (this is actually how I play when I'm not in a bossbattle). Trust me: you'll get enough action this way.

But in all honesty: a lot of FF's start of quite slow and this is especially the case with FF10. With that game it takes about 4 hours to get to the point where the plot starts to make sense, you get a decent party together and the battle-system starts becomming quite complex and special.

Arg. This topic makes me want to play FFX all over again. :)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Cerbere

#46 Post by Cerbere » 03 Mar 2010 06:42

Yeah I'm pretty close to the end of that one (I think) I'm on Mt. Gagazet. Is FFX 2 any good?

Saurius

#47 Post by Saurius » 03 Mar 2010 12:56

FFX-2 is more or less a chick game imho. It is all about Yuna, Riku and Pain. My sister played it a lot and from what I got from it, I thought... FUCK NO im not playing that.
"Sing it you pussies!"

The Rider Of Rohan

#48 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Mar 2010 22:27

Today I started playing the mighty FF13 and just finished my first hour or so. First impression: it looks famazing in all its crisp 720p glory, and is possibly the best looking game I have ever seen. Plus, the haircuts of the characters are more ridiculous than ever. I love it.

The gameplay is what I expected of the first hour: it's terribly linear and you can get through it by spamming the a-button. I'm told that it gets quite complex after four hours or so and I'm determined to get to that point soon. :)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Cerbere

#49 Post by Cerbere » 06 Mar 2010 04:11

I'll pick up FFXII then when I beat it FF13

The Rider Of Rohan

#50 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 06 Mar 2010 13:31

Nice for you... that means that you actually have 100 hours of quality-gaming in front of you.

I myself am committed to doing the opposite thing. I already love FF13 to death, and when I finish it, I will give FF12 a second spin. When I played it five years ago I detested the game for having such a radical change in the fighting-system, but having spent some time with numerous WRPG's I developed a less conservative stance on rpg gaming.
spamel wrote:
Periods.