TOP 10 Movies

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
The_Soulforged

TOP 10 Movies

#1 Post by The_Soulforged » 07 Feb 2010 22:21

Hey Everybody...

...let's talk about Movies!

My TOP 10 all-time Favorites are:

1. The Boondock Saints
2. The Lord of the Rings (Trilogy)
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. Die Hard (1-4)
5. Star Wars (1-6)
6. Matrix (Trilogy)
7. Pulp Fiction
8. The Dark Knight
9. Band of Brothers
10. From Dusk Till Dawn
will my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death i will smile.

Skyclad

Re: TOP 10 Movies

#2 Post by Skyclad » 07 Feb 2010 23:27

1. Willow
2. River's Edge
3. Evil Dead
4. Lord Of The Rings
5. Legend
6. Dragonslayer
7. Labyrinth
8. The Dark Crystal
9. Saving Private Ryan
10. Grumpy Old Men
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

Orodaran

#3 Post by Orodaran » 07 Feb 2010 23:27

Yay, another list-topic when people will just post a random list and nobody will discuss it :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

End Of An Era

#4 Post by End Of An Era » 08 Feb 2010 00:06

The_Soulforged wrote:(Trilogy), (1-4), (1-6),(Trilogy)
euh, what? :lol: how can you put that on the list, it's more than one :P
The_Soulforged wrote:9. Band of Brothers
not a movie either, it's a miniseries ;)

Led Guardian

#5 Post by Led Guardian » 08 Feb 2010 05:42

Well at least for Lord of the Rings, it was one book, and thus could be construed as one movie. That's what I do. Otherwise I'd have to pick one as my favorite movie, and I just can't do that.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Mackasfour

#6 Post by Mackasfour » 08 Feb 2010 07:02

Can only have a Number 1, which is the LotR trilogy, the rest would be constantly changing on mood and such.
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

End Of An Era

#7 Post by End Of An Era » 08 Feb 2010 17:54

Mackasfour wrote:[...] constantly changing on mood and such.
indeed. that's why i won't post a list :P

Cerbere

#8 Post by Cerbere » 09 Feb 2010 04:03

Although, if I were to post a list, it would have to include Pulp Fiction

Mackasfour

#9 Post by Mackasfour » 09 Feb 2010 07:40

Cerbere wrote:Although, if I were to post a list, it would have to include Pulp Fiction
Yeah, that too :P
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Joost

#10 Post by Joost » 10 Feb 2010 00:19

Some movies like...

Blade Runner
Requiem for a Dream
The Wicker Man (the original with Cristopher Lee, of course)
Donnie Darko
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Mulholland Drive

as well as some movies in languages other than English, some of which may be less familiar to you...

El laberinto del fauno (Pan's Labyrinth)
Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In)
Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal)
Englar Alheimsins (Angels of the Universe)

And of course all of this will vary from mood to mood, so it may be something else next time you ask me. :P In general, though, I really tend to love movies that are sad and/or disturbing on one side, but also have a dreamy or fairytale-like aspect on the other side.

edit: ah damn, I missed Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies). One of the saddest movies I've ever seen, but very, very beautiful.

And I added some links for the lesser known titles as well. :)
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Skyclad

#11 Post by Skyclad » 10 Feb 2010 00:25

Best foreign movie (for me... IE not in English) is the French movie Delicatessen. Soooo awesome. I think it's done by the same people who did The City Of Lost Children.

Pan's Labyrth is damn near perfect. I need to throw my DVD away and get the Bluray version.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

Joost

#12 Post by Joost » 10 Feb 2010 00:27

Skyclad wrote:Best foreign movie (for me... IE not in English) is the French movie Delicatessen. Soooo awesome. I think it's done by the same people who did The City Of Lost Children.
Haven't seen Delicatessen yet (damn it, I haven't even seen Amélie yet :o), but I really loved the surreal atmosphere of The City of Lost Children!
Pan's Labyrth is damn near perfect.
Yep, definitely, surely one of the best movies to come out in the last few years!
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

MarchOfTime

#13 Post by MarchOfTime » 10 Feb 2010 02:29

My top 10 change all the time but those that would stay on the list

Road Warrior
Star Wars (1977)
Serenity
District 9
LotR: Return of the King
Bow down in the platinum maze
Twilight cathedrals spread the system plague
Forging sacred thrones in the void unseen
Merciless judgement in the church of the machine

Mackasfour

#14 Post by Mackasfour » 17 Apr 2010 09:08

Was rummaging through Dvds when I came across the Resident Evil trilogy, decided to finally watch them and they're awesome. 4th is coming out September to so it was good timing :D

Andreas

#15 Post by Andreas » 17 Apr 2010 11:10

^that's some good news. I recently saw part 3 on TV with a friend of mine, and I was wondering when part 4 would come out. Looking forward to it 8)

Mackasfour

#16 Post by Mackasfour » 17 Apr 2010 16:25

Yeah, really wanna see how [spoiler] the army of Alice clones go against Wesker [/spoiler]

Andreas

#17 Post by Andreas » 17 Apr 2010 18:11

I'm not such a fan of clones... the original is always the best.

t.a.j.

#18 Post by t.a.j. » 17 Apr 2010 20:51

Blade Runner

I love this movie. I love the depth of its ideas, its spirituality, its humanity, its defiance in the face of despair. A very existentialist film. Fiery the angels fell....

Requiem for a Dream
A excellent play with emotions makes for a very thick movie. This is the belated themesong for a grown up generation x. Isn't it strange how after the cold war was over, instead of a sense of hope and relief, there was only this hole. The glaring absence of meaning and place.

The Wicker Man (the original with Cristopher Lee, of course)

I love the Willow sex scene. So erotic. The whole movie seems a weird cross between new age pagan sensibilities and lovecraftian "old and dangerous" themes.

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
I would love to do this on stage one day. Actually first saw a theatrical production of it, then the movie. In a way, it's the story that is so good, not the movie as such.

Mulholland Drive

We spent 5 hours in a pub talking about this one after seeing it at the theater. After Lost Highway was something of a huge disappointment, Mulholland Drive really worked our great. Though I probably couldn't get the plot together again ;).

Pan's Labyrinth

Just very beautiful and a great way of playing with the dark and mysterious side of the fantastic.

Funny Games
An austrian movie of which an american remake was made, which I haven't seen. If you can, SEE THIS MOVIE! It's scary, twisted and one of the best on the topic of violence.

Pulp Fiction
Yeah. At 16 I loved this film so much, I could literally speak the dialog along. Haven't seen it in ages, though. It is something of the paradigm case of Tarantino movies and it shows clearly what's so good about them. I have to admit that apart from Jacky Brown, I really liked all Tarantino movies (haven't seen Death Proof yet, though). Which leads me to:

True Romance
Tarantino script, but different director. It's your typical boy meets girl, boy & girl steal a suitcase full of drugs movie. Shenanigans ensue. What's not to love?

Aliens
That's the second of the four Alien movies. Its scary, action laden, has those oh-so-cool Xenomorphs, Queen mum, the perfect female action hero ever conceived, great props and much like Blade Runner has weathered the ravages of time surprisingly well.

Burn After Reading
We come to the Coen Brothers. I'm not sure they every made a bad movie. If so, I've yet to see it. Burn after reading is a movie "about nothing". But it is much ado about nothing indeed. Funny, off-kilter plot that goes every which way around a very simple premise: top secret files are found by fitness trainers.

The Big Lebowski
It was my first and you know how it is with your first, you always love it, maybe more than is justified. Other Coen movies were great, but nothing beats my first viewing of The Big Lebowski. Plot: aging hippie gets mistaken for neocon billionaire. Shenanigans ensue. What's not to love. Has Steve Buscemi.

Fargo
Ok, last Coen Bros movie to go here. Unloved son in law tries to fake the kidnapping of this wife. Also has Steve Buscemi and a pregnant cop.

Inglorious Basterds
Ah, back in Tarantino country. IG was just sooo enjoyable to watch, its almost scary.

Hot Fuzz & Shaun of the Dead
British black comedies, both by the same team. Amazingly funny and loveable. Hot Fuzz has a perfect metroplitan cop stuck in a too perfect little village, Shaun of the Dead has Shaun and the living dead.

The Dark Knight
I'm a huge comic book fan so I had to mention at least one of the many comic movies of the last decade. TDK works on many levels and goes beyond just being a comic book adaptation that uses the medium of film in a good way into being a great film in its own right. If only the Joker would have won in the end :(. Has the Joker. And the goddamn Batman.

Braindead
Ok, so Braindead is not actually a good movie. It's still hilarious, splattery, disgusting and bad in an enjoyable way. When watching this movie try to keep in mind that the same guy made Lord of the Rings.

Cloverfield
Since we are in genre-land, this movie has the rare honor of having finished a genre. The "Big Monster attacks the city" movie to end all "Big Monster attacks the city" movies. Turns out the best Godzilla movie wasn't a Godzilla movie. Cloverfield is suspenseful, scary, intense and uses to whole Blair Witch Project camera thing to great effect.

Conan The Barbarian
This launched a massive wave of bad barbarian movies. It's really strange how you have this one great movie and then a hundred people try to copy it, but only copy the campy and bad stuff. Still, this is the best Schwartzenegger film (also because he doesn't really say much and no one expects much facial expression from Conan anyhow) and one of the best Fantasy movies until LotR came along and redefined the genre. Also a great soundtrack.

Away we go
Couple gets pregnant and takes a road trip to decided where to live and raise the child. The movie shows us several families, lets us peek into their lives, see their weirdness and tragedies and then we go away again. I love this one mostly for its leads. I adore the fact that they are so far away from Hollywood pretty. And the movie was fun and enjoyable.

Clerks
Fun, nice, different. Black and white. It's a shame really that Kevin Smith never made anything remotely this amazing again. Clerks just works perfectly as what it is. And if you liked Clerks, do watch Clerks 2. It's nice.

Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness
The source of all the best one-liners. Ash... Housewares. Plot: Housewares salesman ends up in the dark ages and must defeat the Army of Darkness. Sounds like fun.

Ghost in the Shell
The anime answer to Blade Runner. Deeply philosophical and extremely atmospheric. This (and Akira) made me any anime fan for about 3 weeks. That is, until I almost all the other anime I watched turned out to suck a lot.

Jin Ro - The Wolf Brigade
Fascism, espionage, darkens and a great metaphor make this number two on my list of favorite anime.

Princess Mononoke
All of Miyazakis films are worth watching, but again, this is a first love for me. The images are great and evocative, the whole film just feels incredibly meaningful. A very deep and beautiful anime.

In Bruges
Two killers are taking some time off in Bruges. At times very funny, at times very melancholy.

Trainspotting
Like Requiem for a Dream this is a movie about drugs and how people build their lives in the small places abandoned by the main society. Like RfaD, Trainspotting can be very ugly.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Led Guardian

#19 Post by Led Guardian » 17 Apr 2010 23:01

I can agree on Blade Runner, The Dark Knight, Pan's Labyrinth, and Princess Mononoke. I enjoyed Hot Fuzz, Aliens, and Inglourious Basterds as well. But I must absolutely disagree on Cloverfield. I found it rather laughable. My opinion can be summed up in 3 words. Girl. Rebar. Recovery. I laughed my head off.

Hmm, what other movies do I like? Hmm. Other than the ones I mentioned first here and earlier, Rosemary's Baby comes to mind. Incredibly tense, and utterly bloodless. A horror movie without the cheap scares and gore.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Mackasfour

#20 Post by Mackasfour » 18 Apr 2010 04:00

Andreas wrote:I'm not such a fan of clones... the original is always the best.
I prefer the 2nd then the 3rd, 1st one kicking it at the rear

Mandarb

#21 Post by Mandarb » 18 Apr 2010 04:39

Hehe, here's mine, not necessarily in that order:

1. Boondock Saints (Willem Dafoe is hilarious)
2. LotR
3. The Princess Bride
4. The Pick of Destiny
5. Hamlet (The one with/by Kenneth Brannagh)
6. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead
7. Princess Mononoke
8. Tales from Earthsea
9. Army of Darkness
10. Saving Private Ryan

There's a lot of other movies I like too, might easily make it on that list too. That's just what I could think of right now :)
A guinness a day keeps the doctor away!

He is not drunk who from the floor can rise again and drink some more. But he is drunk who prostrate lies and cannot drink and cannot rise.

Belgarion

#22 Post by Belgarion » 18 Apr 2010 15:23

Boondock Saints was nice but its sequel is one of the worst movies ever. Hard to believe it came from the same director.

For me a top 13 would be:

1. Schindler's List
2. Star Wars Saga
3. Terminator 1-2
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. In Bruges
6. The Shawshank Redemption
7. Trainspotting
8. Match Point
9. Lotr
10. Pulp Fiction
11. Der Untergang
12. Children Of Men
13. Seven Pounds
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to work one at a time.

Lilyael

#23 Post by Lilyael » 21 Apr 2010 22:43

Stardust
LOTR
The Abduction Club
Disney's Beauty and the Beast
10 Things I Hate About You
South Park the Movie
A Knight's Tale
Alien v Predator - or anything with the Predator in cos he rocks, like
And all the films they haven't made yet but will be fucking class if they do. Like The Hobbit, and the Dragons of Pern. Come on film makers, pull yer fingers out !
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Led Guardian

#24 Post by Led Guardian » 21 Apr 2010 22:56

Lilyael wrote: and the Dragons of Pern. Come on film makers, pull yer fingers out !
I thought you were just expressing a wish, but apparently that is a possibility. That could be really awesome or really disappointing. I've read, like, a bajillion of those books.

West Virginia Mule

#25 Post by West Virginia Mule » 27 Apr 2010 09:56

Patton (1970) George C. Scott

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
KILROY WAS HERE

Daijin

#26 Post by Daijin » 27 Apr 2010 15:59

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
So, supposed a robot wants to kill all the humans that makes him "a radical".
- Bender
Well, the truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
- Elim Garak

West Virginia Mule

#27 Post by West Virginia Mule » 28 Apr 2010 12:08

Daijin wrote:"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
:mrgreen: That too.
KILROY WAS HERE