The Hobbit News thread

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Mackasfour

The Hobbit News thread

#1 Post by Mackasfour » 03 Nov 2009 10:10

Scoop anything worthwhile knowing

http://www.channel4.com/blogs/page/film ... andalf_gig Made my day! No-one else could possibly do it!
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Sentinel

Re: The Hobbit News thread

#2 Post by Sentinel » 03 Nov 2009 10:14

Great news, indeed! Nice to see Ian playing Gandalf again.
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

End Of An Era

#3 Post by End Of An Era » 03 Nov 2009 11:59

Super!! and also i am very pleased with Guillermo del Toro directing. :)

Mackasfour

#4 Post by Mackasfour » 03 Nov 2009 12:30

Yes, it is also good to see PJ working on it to. Those 2 together should make it all the more awesome
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Andreas

#5 Post by Andreas » 03 Nov 2009 12:47

It's good to see that PJ isn't the director. IMO he raped the LOTR story. But I had that discussion like a zillion times on the internet, so please let me focus on the positive thing: Del Toro is directing.

Mackasfour

#6 Post by Mackasfour » 03 Nov 2009 12:49

I hear both are working on it.

As much as I was disappointed in things that were dropped in the trilogy some were necassery (Though I was mightily pissed with no Tom Bombadil or Scouring of the Shire)

Andreas

#7 Post by Andreas » 03 Nov 2009 13:16

Did it occur to anyone that Dead's Army or something wasn't scary at all? I expected some kind of zombies.

Mackasfour

#8 Post by Mackasfour » 03 Nov 2009 13:40

They were fine for me.

Been a while since I read the trilogy but aren't they described as Shades?

The Rider Of Rohan

#9 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Nov 2009 20:03

Mackasfour wrote:Scoop anything worthwhile knowing

http://www.channel4.com/blogs/page/film ... andalf_gig Made my day! No-one else could possibly do it!
I hate to rain on your parade, but Ian's participation stil isn't official.This article was dated March 2008, and still speaks about a brige-movie that was dropped some time ago.

Fortunately, there is some good news. TOR.net (as I pointed out in the past: this is the one source to visit for all things The Hobbit) reports that Ian has read the script. This means that the budgetting might be close to done and they've started with the first stages of casting.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009/11 ... it-script/

(and obviously, I don't doubt for a single moment that we'll see anybody but Ian in the role of Gandalf in 2011 ;))
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Palantyre

#10 Post by Palantyre » 03 Nov 2009 23:58

Mackasfour wrote: As much as I was disappointed in things that were dropped in the trilogy some were necassery (Though I was mightily pissed with no Tom Bombadil or Scouring of the Shire)
Tom Bombadil: An annoying character wholly useless to the general plot, acting only as a silly sidetrack. No thanks.
Scouring of the Shire: A cool part in the book, but the ending in the movie already drags and drags as it is, including the Scouring in the movies would've made it even more horribly anticlimactic.

As for the army of the dead, I have no problems with their design, they were cool as standard-issue-sinister-turquoise specters, but the way they were used story-wise is quite meh. Them just swooping in and unstoppably obliterating the enemy's entire army makes the whole preceeding battle seem so futile.

Anyways, I'm excited to see how the Hobbit will turn out, as the LotR movies are among my favourite films ever. (yeah, how surprising on this forum.) :)
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Mackasfour

#11 Post by Mackasfour » 04 Nov 2009 08:05

Palantyre wrote:
Mackasfour wrote: As much as I was disappointed in things that were dropped in the trilogy some were necassery (Though I was mightily pissed with no Tom Bombadil or Scouring of the Shire)
Tom Bombadil: An annoying character wholly useless to the general plot, acting only as a silly sidetrack. No thanks.
Scouring of the Shire: A cool part in the book, but the ending in the movie already drags and drags as it is, including the Scouring in the movies would've made it even more horribly anticlimactic.
Which is why I said I saw it necessary for some things to be dropped. But it would've been nice

t.a.j.

#12 Post by t.a.j. » 04 Nov 2009 09:16

I don't think it would have been nice. It would have detracted from my enjoyment of the movies. Tom Bombadil was the reason I stopped reading the fellowship the first time I went into the book. What a lame made-for-children charakter completely out of of character with the rest of the mythology. And the scouring of the shire served only to make Saruman come across as pitiful and made a joke of his former position, though I can understand why it was put into the book, I would have liked it better if only Wormtongue had been behind it.

As for changes I could have done without: Making Gimli the laughing stock of the movies, all the time... and hardly giving him any shine beyond that. Gimli isn't supposed to be the comic sidekick of Aragorn and Legolas. Talking about Legolas, many of his "stunts" were so over the top that I found the only silly. Surfing on his shield, felling that Oliphant,... he came across as if he could have won the whole war by himself. What else... the Elves at Helm's Deep served no narrative purpose and made no sense.
Which all in all means that the second movie was really where most of the bad stuff was. It was also here that Gimli starts to come across not only as a bit naive, but seems to be there only for the other characters to have someone to laugh about.

So if there is any reason to dislike Peter Jackson, it's stuff he put in, not for stuff he left out.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Mackasfour

#13 Post by Mackasfour » 04 Nov 2009 09:30

Not just Gimli, Dwarves in general were made to look like bumbling fools, so I do hope they fix that in The Hobbit.

I think Tom Bombadil should've been in the movie for the purpose of the Barrow-Downs, that should've been in there. I mean they nearly failed right there and to have the Barrow-Downs they would need Tom Bombadil.

The Rider Of Rohan

#14 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 04 Nov 2009 19:53

I think the fact that the movies worked just as well without Tom, proves that the descision to leave him out was the right one. And don't forget, either, that Tom was basically lifted from one of Tolkien's many children's stories right into LOTR in order to fill extra pages, so dropping him in the movie wasn't that bad. If this doesn't comfort the Bombadil-lovers around here, then I hope they can rest assured knowing that the movie-makers never disproved Tom's existence in the movies, they just choose not to tell it's story.
t.a.j. wrote:And the scouring of the shire served only to make Saruman come across as pitiful and made a joke of his former position, though I can understand why it was put into the book, I would have liked it better if only Wormtongue had been behind it.
And, I'd like to add, the Scouring of the Shire surves the purpose in the book of reflecting upon the personal growth of the Hobbits; something that the movie-makers have achieved in a different, more subtle way, one that doesn't destroy the pacing of the third movie.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

t.a.j.

#15 Post by t.a.j. » 04 Nov 2009 20:22

True
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Palantyre

#16 Post by Palantyre » 04 Nov 2009 22:36

I highly agree about Gimli. He's supposed to be a strong dwarf warrior, not a friggin' bearded Jar Jar Binks with an axe. I'm not saying the comical potential of the dwarves' tendency to take themselves a bit too seriously should've gone completely unused, but the way he's portrayed in the movies is just too much. Especially, as was noted, in contrast to the over-the-top displays of Legolas' prowess.

All that said, I still cracked up at "The dwarves they go a-swimmin' with little hairy women". On the first time, at least.

Andreas

#17 Post by Andreas » 05 Nov 2009 02:14

^Same here :lol:
t.a.j. wrote: So if there is any reason to dislike Peter Jackson, it's stuff he put in, not for stuff he left out.
That is my main problem with the movies, yes. But I have to admit I really like watching them.

Mackasfour

#18 Post by Mackasfour » 05 Nov 2009 12:32

I still love the movies

Led Guardian

#19 Post by Led Guardian » 07 Nov 2009 20:26

Mackasfour wrote:I still love the movies
+1
I've watched the extended versions one after the other with my friends twice, and given enough time, I'll be willing to do it again.

Scouring of the Shire: Major point of the entire book. Like, one of the main points. The whole point of it is that a war such as the one against Sauron effects everyone, and no one can be isolated from it. It's also a kind of "You can't go home again" thing, because when you've had so many horrible experiences, life can't be the same. But also, it shows that in spite of these things, people will manage to cope with the hardships and changes and move on. The movies managed to capture all but the first part of that.

Saruman: The Scouring did not make Saruman a joke of his former position and self. All the petty spite that he showed at the end of the books had been a part of his personality for a long time, but as long as he had power it was hidden. He was an ignoble character, and once he was no longer in control, it simply came to the fore. If you read the Unfinished Tales, there is a section on the Istari (Wizards) that discusses Saruman in more detail. A lot of his problems were born from jealousy of Gandalf, for instance.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Andreas

#20 Post by Andreas » 07 Nov 2009 22:20

Led Guardian wrote:If you read the Unfinished Tales, there is a section on the Istari (Wizards) that discusses Saruman in more detail. A lot of his problems were born from jealousy of Gandalf, for instance.
Sounds interesting, I'll have to read that book without stopping after 2 pages. I'll have to ask my brother if I can borrow it from him.

Mackasfour

#21 Post by Mackasfour » 08 Nov 2009 05:09

Yes I have read Unfinished Tales, should really finish some parts of it. But the Istari is an interesting part of the book

Palantyre

#22 Post by Palantyre » 17 Dec 2009 23:48

Hm. According to IMDb, Ron Perlman is rumoured to be playing the role of Thorin. Would be awesome if this came to be true, Perlman is a great actor. And certainly not too handsome for a dwarf. :mrgreen:

Mackasfour

#23 Post by Mackasfour » 18 Dec 2009 10:20

On TORn I believe I heard about Dave Cox (I think that's his name) is rumored to of been talking about being cast for Thorin

Joost

#24 Post by Joost » 19 Dec 2009 10:54

Ron Perlman would be a great Thorin.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Arwen Arianna

#25 Post by Arwen Arianna » 31 May 2010 09:38

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05 ... he-hobbit/
seems like they will need a new director...
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

spamel

#26 Post by spamel » 31 May 2010 09:53

Rubbish! If they don't pull their fingers out, this film will never get made! :evil: Why isn't PJ just doing th whole shooting match as he did on LOTR?
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Mackasfour

#27 Post by Mackasfour » 31 May 2010 10:08

I think that could be explained by the whole tiff with New Line and PJ? I think PJ would do a good job

Arwen Arianna

#28 Post by Arwen Arianna » 31 May 2010 10:11

I agree.. PJ would be the best choice :| but what can we do?
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

Mackasfour

#29 Post by Mackasfour » 31 May 2010 10:15

Blame MGM :P