The Name of the Wind

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
kraemerdrummer

The Name of the Wind

#1 Post by kraemerdrummer » 26 Sep 2009 21:15

Has anyone here read it?
It is an outstanding story by Patrick Rothfuss
it's one of those stories where it's more than just the sum of it's parts
It's beautifully written, set in a Renaissance era fantasy realm. I'm worried about describing it because it sounds cliched but it's really not once you read it. It's outstanding

"I was reminded of Ursula LeGuin, George R. R. Martin, and J. R. R. Tolkien, but never felt that Rothfuss was imitating anyone. Like the writers he clearly admires, he’s an old-fashioned storyteller working with traditional elements, but his voice is his own. I haven’t been so gripped by a new fantasy series in years. It’s certain to become a classic."
-The London Times
Out of the mist it's coming closer now
It never rains -- it pours on me
So let the saints
Set up the courtyard, the unpleasant cage
The obvious point is I'm insane

Led Guardian

Re: The Name of the Wind

#2 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Sep 2009 06:30

Funny you should post this, since I just bought this book at Barnes & Noble yesterday (well, day before yesterday now). I'm not sure it will be before I read it, as I am already reading a mass of Tolkien. I might read it after I finish The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien and the first 5 volumes of the History of Middle-Earth. Anyway, I can't give my view of it, but it was strongly recommended to me by a friend. By "strongly" I mean he barely had words enough to recommend it to me as strongly as he wanted to. I'm looking forward to reading it.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

majesty

#3 Post by majesty » 09 Oct 2009 19:25

I´m reading it at the moment and you´re right, it´s beautiful to read. It has a good story and I like the part where Kvothe plays his lute and Denna sings the part of Alois to get his talent pipes. Just beautiful.
The Lights are up,
Now let the play begin!

*Why save the world when you can rule it? And why touch the ground when you can fly away to dreams...?*

mpur6379i

Ms. watch Monopoly (5)

#4 Post by mpur6379i » 30 Oct 2009 17:17

t.a.j.

#5 Post by t.a.j. » 30 Oct 2009 20:03

I was recommended that book and recently started reading it. It's quite well written, can't comment on the story yet, but I'm a bit afraid I will find Kvothe too overblown and superheroic.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

t.a.j.

#6 Post by t.a.j. » 11 Aug 2010 13:53

Having long since finished the book, I have to say that it was most of all well written. A very romantic prose that still sounded natural and worked extremly well for me. But I found the plot to be a bit... mundane. It's only the hundredth outsider boy becomes greatest wizard/warrior/thief/assassin or any combination of any of all of those story. It's a bit like the american dream. We all know it's bullshit and never happens, but writers still want to cram it down our trought. Most of the characters could have come from Harry Potter, too. Back on the up side, they are likable and I found myself caring for some of them quite soon. Also, the book kept a good tension going and the more detailed parts of the plot held some surprises. The world seems nice and the descriptions are evocative, there is a sense of hidden depth, which good fantasy worlds need and one does get the impression of secrets that will be revealed, always good for the imagination while reading.
All in all an very entertaining and enjoyable read, but not really on the level of G.R.R. Martin, China Mieville or R. Scott Bakker. I am going to get the follow ups, though.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Led Guardian

#7 Post by Led Guardian » 12 Aug 2010 06:34

Since this topic just popped up, I'd like to take the opportunity to say how incredible this book is. Some of the most beautiful prose I've read.

I both agree and disagree about the plot. I agree that what occurred was fairly mundane, but it was told in a unique way that I found very engaging. I never thought something entirely about the first 17 or whatever years of someone's life could be so entertaining. I think the writing and focus of the story was far to mature to simply call "outsider boy becomes great something." It's a tale of the early years of an extraordinary yet tormented man, to whom you know something horrible has happened. The poignant characterizations take it beyond that trope, or it at least alter it enough to make it a fresh read. One of my top 10 books for sure.

(I won't judge it against G.R.R. Martin, because I'm afraid to start his series. He's so old that I fear he'll become another Robert Jordan)
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'