D&D!

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Pathfinder

Re: D&D!

#51 Post by Pathfinder » 30 Jan 2010 21:33

I thought you were talking about some video game, but I wasn't sure. :)

Cerbere

#52 Post by Cerbere » 19 Mar 2010 05:29

Well next week were having a D&D party you could say. I'm being the DM, and I'll see i there's any people serious about playing. Which, there's a good chance there will be none.

Palantyre

#53 Post by Palantyre » 19 Mar 2010 11:55

We're going to start Pathfinder this weekend, and I'll be trying my hand at DMing.
I have a basic map and some bits of history of a kingdom I came up with myself for a setting, and an idea for the "intro adventure" of the campaign. Next I'll just have to put something concrete on paper, like npc stats and whatnot.
Nothing fancy at all, since this is my first time as a DM, ever. :P

Wish me luck!
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Cerbere

#54 Post by Cerbere » 19 Mar 2010 16:29

My first time too :D

I am playing with a bunch of new people though so I think I'll make everyones character just to make it go a little faster

Palantyre

#55 Post by Palantyre » 22 Mar 2010 04:47

So, my first time ever as a DM went really well, to my slight surprise. Then again it was just a really simple "intro adventure" to hand the players the start of the thread, so to speak. I dread to think how I'll keep it all together once the plot starts getting more complex, though. :P

Oh and as a sidenote, the Pathfinder pantheon contains by far the single coolest fantasy deity ever:
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cayden_Cailean

Cerbere

#56 Post by Cerbere » 13 Apr 2010 01:41

Turned out i wasn't DM, but a good friend of mine was. This is kind of my first real full-blown campaign.

I made a Minotaur fighter with these ability scores: str 20 con 20 dex 16 int 3 wis 3 cha 3. Haha he talks about himself in third person during the game.

Palantyre

#57 Post by Palantyre » 13 Apr 2010 20:57

With an Intelligence of 3 he shouldn't be able to talk properly at all.
I probably wouldn't even accept such a min-maxed character in my game. :P

Cerbere

#58 Post by Cerbere » 18 Apr 2010 01:51

I ended up not using him actually, it was just fun to make him

Hansi Smurf

20-Sided Deulling

#59 Post by Hansi Smurf » 19 Apr 2010 22:00

In the old eighties game, when max-scores were 18+3, a twenty sided die was rolled for "to hit".

So I've been lately playing a game whereby a certain score "to hit" is required, say 15, provided for to two player-characters, whilst rolling their respective hitpoints with an eight-sider.

So now both characters need a 15 roll for "to hit", and both players have a twenty sider, allowing the two to face off, rolling furiously and speedily, for the number 15 is not very hard for you both to scan very quickly AND very honestly! The hit points are on a piece of scrap-paper, pencil included, with your weapon die right at hand, six sider initiative roll, and then the beginning of the throwing of the twenty siders at one another: soon it truthfully begins to feel like a mighty, psychological duel, providing you both with a lazy persons simulcrum of near-real fighting within the metatemporal sections of our once mighty brains!

This really easy and inexpensive dice-game should probably be soon all the rage amongst old fellows; it really does kick some serious ass, probably as much fun as playing old Sega Genesis NHL Hockey back when all that was needed was an aggressive "C" button and a love of hockey!

I actually played a tourney pitting 6 celebrity BLIND GUARDIAN's 'gainst one another: and you know what?

Hansi won!

Palantyre

#60 Post by Palantyre » 20 Apr 2010 00:59

Your random ramblings aren't funny anymore, you know. Actually they never have been.
Go away, please.

Hansi Smurf

Fuck you Palantyre.

#61 Post by Hansi Smurf » 22 Apr 2010 18:30

Do you really expect to live with such churlish responses to your physical, emotional and intellectual betters Palantyre? Expect to be aborted by your own family soon.

t.a.j.

#62 Post by t.a.j. » 22 Apr 2010 18:42

I would not exclude the possibility that he really is a bit schizophrenic.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Pathfinder

#63 Post by Pathfinder » 19 Jun 2010 15:31

Palantyre wrote:So, my first time ever as a DM went really well, to my slight surprise. Then again it was just a really simple "intro adventure" to hand the players the start of the thread, so to speak. I dread to think how I'll keep it all together once the plot starts getting more complex, though. :P

Oh and as a sidenote, the Pathfinder pantheon contains by far the single coolest fantasy deity ever:
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cayden_Cailean
Glad to hear that you're having fun mastering. It's really getting harder and harder to find people who are willing to be DMs. :)

Last time a made a wast post about my character (I believe it was a ranger) that I was supposed to play alongside with my friend, and my other friend was supposed to be a DM, but we ended up playing just one session.
Good new, though, are that my other friend decided to start mastering again in his world, and I continued playing my rogue that I was playing before the break, just other PCs are playing with me now, instead of duo that me and my friend had before - Barbarian and Rogue, great combo if you ask me. :) Now, it's a Rogue (me), Druid and Fighter...good enough for a power play, but I'm more into good stories and role play than fighting, and the last session we had was quite fun, and quite long. :D

Pathfinder

#64 Post by Pathfinder » 19 Jun 2010 15:34

Cerbere wrote:Turned out i wasn't DM, but a good friend of mine was. This is kind of my first real full-blown campaign.

I made a Minotaur fighter with these ability scores: str 20 con 20 dex 16 int 3 wis 3 cha 3. Haha he talks about himself in third person during the game.
I have to agree with Palantyre, with the INT of 3, you wouldn't be able to talk, well at least no one would understand you. :)

Did you roll for the abilities, or you just picked them randomly, I reckon you got to choose, cause getting two abilities to Max, and one to 16 would mean you were incredibly fortunate. :)

Cerbere

#65 Post by Cerbere » 19 Jun 2010 22:13

I used a custom array, I'm not sure if its from 4.0 only, or also from other editions. What it is you start out with a certain number of points and you get to buy, in a sort, the ability scores, it gives more customization that the standard array, while still yielding a balanced character. It's quite nice imo.

Pathfinder

#66 Post by Pathfinder » 20 Jun 2010 00:56

OK, whatever you fancy. :) I don't know exactly how does it function, but 2 rolls on 20 are really too high...though, it depends of what kind of setting you play. If it's overpowered, then I guess it would be fine...for fights at least :D, it would be really hard to gain any info with a guy that has INT at the minimum. :)

Usually, I use (and most of the people I've played with) the regular roll system, that's in the books. Though, usually, it is 3d6 10 times, and you pick 6 highest totals. Or, when DM is generous (or has a setting where even the NPCs are quite powerful) he let's you roll 4d6 10 times, and when you roll 4d6, you pick 3 highest numbers. So, basically, it gives you higher percentage of gaining a better rolls.

Cerbere

#67 Post by Cerbere » 20 Jun 2010 02:26

Yeah I had plenty of smart people in my party, but because we had no wizard, I decided not to be him. I really hate magic in D&D though, it's just too much of a pain to keep track of everything, especially at a high level. Wizards are awesome in PC games though.

Pathfinder

#68 Post by Pathfinder » 20 Jun 2010 18:11

Well, yes, it is hard to play Wizard because you need to search for spells all of the time, and learn them, write them down...etc. Though, it can be fun. On the other hand, if you don't wanna bother with that, and you wanna play a caster class, just play Sorcerer.

jophelerks

#69 Post by jophelerks » 13 Jul 2010 17:48

I DMed my first adventure on Sunday night 8) I use version 3.0.

T3hOverlord

#70 Post by T3hOverlord » 18 Jul 2010 21:30

DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS IS BETTER THAN SEX

Cerbere

#71 Post by Cerbere » 19 Jul 2010 04:23

You know what's better? Having sex in Dungeons and Dragons.

Btw, I am trying out a new roleplaying game, A Song of Ice and Fire (set in Westeros). The engine seems pretty good, I'm pretty excited to try it out.

T3hOverlord

#72 Post by T3hOverlord » 19 Jul 2010 20:18

I HAVE SEX IN DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS ALL THE TIME ITS AWESOME

Grim

#73 Post by Grim » 03 May 2011 07:50

hahaha well I am kind of platonic D&D fan. you ask "what the hell does this meen?". I answer " in my beautiful country it is next to impossible to acquire D&D books or assets. in conclusion I only read about it in internet and dream about the day I'll be able to enjoy it in real" :cry:
...Why do we despise the world that gave us life? Why wouldn't the world survive us, like any organism survives a virus? ...What would that look like? What if this is the last winter, before the collapse? And hope dies.
The Last Winter

„Няма власт над оная глава, която е готова да се отдели от плещите си в името на свободата и за благото на цялото човечество.“
Христо Ботев (1848 - 1876)

prongs

#74 Post by prongs » 13 May 2011 02:40

I started playing quite recently both as a player and a DM and I must say it's a great game but to be honest playing with my good friend Teo_guardian means the female presence must be kept to a minimum :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Hansi Smurf

D&D VS. S&S

#75 Post by Hansi Smurf » 14 May 2011 21:23

Dungeons & Dragons - watch out!

Thanks to being sole property owner of my very own indigineous memory system, I've done the impossible and invented a brand new, and completely original Role Playing Game called:

Star-Warriors & Super-Heroes!

S&S: obviously, not as catchy in it's abreviated form as D&D (The Planet Deande!), but the full title sounds allright!

Maybe Lucasfilm, DC, & Marvel should team up with me, and just see how together we might manufacture the most perfect scientific gaming system, and most colorful multi-world realities, ever devised by Role Playing Gaming Engineering Incorporated - EVER!

Now as for the Planet Deande? I imagine it as a sphere, like Earth; but unlike Earth, once you set down upon one of it's few "seen from orbit" planetary land-masses, it metatemporally/physically alters, so that an unlimited number of continental land-masses, island chains, polar-ice caps et al. are all for to be found, and each region to it's very own Dungeon Master, and linked together by that most venerable and sage-like of organizations, the Dungeon Masters Guild!

I think that it'd be pretty cool if every kid & grown-up who has ever Dungeon Mastered their very own hand-made world, managed for to link together all of those myriad and various gaming maps, and all into this one very spooky, and very endless Earth-like plane of existance: the Planet Deande!!!

Earth
Alderaan
Corellia
Arda
Deande

Nuff' Said!

The Rider Of Rohan

#76 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 15 May 2011 04:54

This post was made by Hansi Smurf who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

prongs

#77 Post by prongs » 15 May 2011 13:19

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
This post was made by Hansi Smurf who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
Dude please show me how you did that :twisted:
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Hansi Smurf

Remembering An Old Player-Character From D&D 1985!

#78 Post by Hansi Smurf » 22 May 2011 21:21

Reginald "Kick-Butt" Splut!

An Ogre Strong Little Halfling runs at a Monster with a fully set short-spear, while shouting out, "Kickbuuuuuut... (spear enters Monster Belly) "SPLUT!""

The "SPLUT!", of course, is heard via both Reggie's shouted Battle Cry, and heard too, via the Entry Wound gashing!

Cool, Huh?

(Gee Whiz, I sure wish good ole' Reggie wouldts set spear to BLIND GUARDIAN! And the rest o' yah, too! "I Work", or "I Go To School", or "I'm Rich", or "I'm the President of Iraq", or "I'm an Indian", or "I'm a Kid", are all of them insufficiencies with regard to Necessary Moral Testimony for to Exclude A Body From Capital Punishment! And all of the Passwords and Code-Clearances should have been already evident to you, Joost, Obama, Lemmy, Jesus Christ, you Sub Race Called Man Bastards, you!

"I AM IN COMMAND NOW, MARS! BAYONETS FORWARD!"

cassie5squared

#79 Post by cassie5squared » 12 Oct 2011 22:59

I've got into D&D fairly recently. I'm currently playing a 3.5 module - Red Hand of Doom, in case anyone's interested - on another forum, came in about halfway through the game a few months ago. (It's been running nearly three years already.)

It's the Forgotten Realms setting. I'm playing a NG human wizard who's spent a good chunk of time in a magical academy of sorts, and then went out exploring the world with his familiar. He ended up with this motley crew of another seven people who include two LG human clerics, a CN half-elf rogue, a CN human barbarian, a CG human bard (who has multiple personality disorder and a fondness for death metal battle song choices. I'm trying to persuade his player to choose some Guardian instead :D ), a CG (read: Chaotic Stupid) winged elf fighter/mage who frankly doesn't actually give a damn about anyone in the party except the cleric she's loved-up with, and a CN drow fighter/wizard who's actually one of the nicest people in the party.

Since I joined, the party's eliminated a whole gang of enemy hobgoblin monks/fighters/clerics and a leader of the enemy forces, and my character managed to blast a lich into pieces against the roof of its own lair.

We've just hit level 9. And we've still got two dragons, an enemy horde, a high cleric of the Evil Dragons Goddess and an aspect of the goddess herself to go.

I love this game. :D

Baby_Kürsch

#80 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 15 Oct 2011 11:33

I have a campaign thats been running for a couple months now. We play 3.5. Ive read alittle on 4th ed but haven't played it yet. It isn't as horrible as everyone says it is either. Just blind elitism from people who dont want to learn a new system. Same thing happened when 3rd ed came out and AD&D become obsolete.

The biggest downfall for 4th ed is how book heavy it is. But its much easier for someone who has never played D&D before to pick up and learn than 3.5 or other past editions. Its also a miniatures game which is a lot of fun. That also seems to be a factor in people not liking it but I think those people have forgotten D&D was made to play with minis. I guess its all about preference. I still really enjoy 3.5 but 4th ed is also enjoyable.
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

t.a.j.

#81 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Oct 2011 13:22

I've played 4th Edition DnD and while it can be a fun skrimish tabletop system - I've never had quite as much fun doing combat in other systems - it utterly fails as an RPG.

Baby_Kürsch

#82 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 15 Oct 2011 14:20

t.a.j. wrote:I've played 4th Edition DnD and while it can be a fun skrimish tabletop system - I've never had quite as much fun doing combat in other systems - it utterly fails as an RPG.
How does it fail as an RPG? The people playing the game make the role play happen not the game itself.

t.a.j.

#83 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Oct 2011 14:45

That is true, up to a point. There has always been a tendency in (A)D&D to stereotype characters as classes and 4th edition takes an extreme step in that direction in that it places almost all customization within the classes. In the 3rd edition, creative multiclassing allowed for a huge number of mechanically different characters to represent different a wider span of character concepts. Granted, it was still awkward and far away from the power of classless systems, but at least it encouraged creativity.
Furthermore, all the classes have become very similar, all using "magical" powers, even if they're not all called magic and using the same mechanics regarding what they can do. Furthermore, almost all of the those powers come down to doing some damage and getting some possible tactical advantage. It's precisely that, which makes the tabletop combat fun, but which makes me feel that the rules and mechanical characters are totally divorced from the narrative level of the game.

Baby_Kürsch

#84 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 15 Oct 2011 14:51

Hhhmmm its hard to disagree with that.

Baby_Kürsch

#85 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 16 Oct 2011 02:12

Just got a wilderness tile set!! We are gaming our 6th session tomorrow night (everyone is level 7, started at 5) and Im really excited to start using them! Next I wanna get some minis but they are alittle expensive. Anyone else use props? We are playing 3.5 but the tile sets for 4th ed work just the same and are abundant they were about 9$ on Amazon.

We have a....

Wizard/Paladin
Cleric
Rangers x2
Jester/Master of Masks

its a very interesting group to DM for

taj: at the game store today someone said almost the exact same thing about 4th ed.

t.a.j.

#86 Post by t.a.j. » 16 Oct 2011 08:58

We're using a Flipmat, easy to draw on, easy to clean. Very useful. As for miniatures, we mostly use ages old plastics from Hero Quest and the D&D board game.

Palantyre

#87 Post by Palantyre » 16 Oct 2011 23:34

t.a.j. wrote:Stuff about why 4th edition fails as an RPG
Couldn't have said it any better myself. In 3.5 the character mechanics can largely be made to support roleplaying aspects of the character (like, having no Appraise skill whatsoever because he just likes everything pretty and shiny), but 4E just homogenizes everything.
t.a.j. wrote:We're using a Flipmat, easy to draw on, easy to clean. Very useful. As for miniatures, we mostly use ages old plastics from Hero Quest and the D&D board game.
Coincidentally, we use almost exactly the same setup. :) We just have Warhammer miniatures instead of old D&D ones. Mostly Hero Quest, though.

We're still playing Pathfinder, btw. I stepped down from the DM throne after my adventure was concluded though, and we've been playing with our usual DM since. Having a blast. :)

t.a.j.

#88 Post by t.a.j. » 17 Oct 2011 10:38

We went back to playing The Dark Eye, the local hero, but I'll probably be DMing Sperent's Skull after the current campaign terminates. I'm certainly quite taken by it right now.
I would love to play Pathfinder as a player some time, too, though.

Baby_Kürsch

#89 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 21 Oct 2011 09:01

I just ordered this!!

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons- ... 0786956291

It will be my first time playing with 4th Ed rules and Ive read a lot of good reviews about this set.

t.a.j.

#90 Post by t.a.j. » 21 Oct 2011 10:01

It's pretty.
Is it just me or were those old style fantasy artworks much nicer than the modern, very cartoony stuff?