my writing.

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Gandalf de Grijze

my writing.

#1 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 11 Aug 2009 17:55

So here it is: my latest attempt at writing. Posting on request of a few forumers.
I would like to tell a little story about a young barbarian. This young barbarian lives in one of the barbarian kingdoms called Batavia. He loved going on what they call “a Viking”, and did so whenever he got a chance. It might be wise to mention here that the meaning of “going on a Viking” has changed over the centuries since the first mentioning of Vikings. In the early years it used to mean to simply go pillage, plunder and rape the enemy tribes. After the middle-ages and into the renaissance it changed into a meaning that came closer to “trading” and these days one can simply state that it is “going on a trip”. A trip here is generally a long journey, and not a short hop from a to b.
So, here we have this young barbarian who loves going on a Viking. He had a particular passion for visiting parts of the old Roman Empire. Those exotic cultures of the south intrigued him so much, that he slowly started to learn some of the languages spoken there. On one of his earliest Vikings he met the princess of Lombardy. When he found out about her royal status he was surprised and honoured that she would let herself be seen with such a simple commoner, especially a foreign barbarian commoner. They had fallen in love with each other and thought that their love would be enough to cross the difference in social status between them. For the two of them it did, but sadly the people of Lombardy and especially the royal family did not see it that way. What they saw was their princess messing around with a lowlife, ugly and dumb barbarian, not the kind of royal prince they imagined for her. Though the princess had seen that the barbarian was in fact a romantic poet, a charming and intelligent person who values honesty and honour above all else, he could not blame the people for not seeing beyond his exterior. Even in his own lands he was considered unattractive, to say it gently. Even though he was tall, he was not fiercely blond as many tribesmen were, nor was he very muscular. In fact he was rather plumb, or even fat, due to a family affliction that burdened him since birth.
Anyway, I’m getting off track here. As I was saying, the people from Lombardy were not so happy with our barbarian. So the royal family pushed the poor young princess to forget all about the young barbarian. A hard thing to ask from such a young girl. But the pressure stayed on and made her yield in the end. She told our barbarian that they should stop seeing each other because there was no possibility to make a further relationship work out well. Needless to say, the barbarian was heartbroken. Ever since this happened he was but a fraction of his former self. He even lost his interest in going on Vikings, and as such didn’t go away from his own country for years.
His friends all tried what they could to help him, but even they could not do much more than make him liven up just a bit with their attempts. The barbarian also seemed to have a lot of bad luck happening to him, every time he was getting better; something happened and crushed his good spirits again. This went on for two-and-a-half years until we reach summer 2009.
That summer he had only a small music festival planned in the Czech Republic, where he would go with a friend of him. But about a month before the festival his friend told him that she was afraid he wanted more than she could give, and that as such she thought it better if they didn’t see for a while. This amazed the barbarian, as all he wanted was a friendship. Apparently she had assumed that all his words of kindness were intended as flatteries with the intention of getting a romantic relationship. Slightly angered by the bad timing, he decided to keep the honour to himself and give his ticket away to someone else. He already had made considerable investments in that trip, and would not see that money back again. This last event brought the barbarian close to despair. But, due to his generally quite optimistic view on the world, he decided to throw all his chances on one thing: a new Viking to the south. He took quite a risk with this plan, as he could not arrange much beforehand due to the short term decision he had made. Also it could turn out more expensive than his budget allowed.
This time he decided on the Iberian Peninsula, even though he knew the heat there might kill him, he was betting on his sheer strength of will to help him survive. The choice to go there was and easy one, as he had been there only twice before. Once in the city of Valencia, and once in Madrid, capital of the current Iberian federation. He would first take the air carriage to the Catalan capital: Barcelona. He would submerge himself in the culture there, but before he could get started bad luck had stricken again. Within an hour of arriving in Catalonia the barbarian had lost his wallet. That meant living on a tight budget from then on. Granted it reduced the risk of having nor money left after his trip, but it made the trip itself a lot more difficult. He was determined not to let this get him down, and managed to still see and do a lot of things he wanted through a bit of ingenuity and determination.
On the third day of his Viking he would go on a trans-Iberian trip through the kingdoms of Catalonia, Aragon, Castile & Leon to reach the kingdom of Asturias, but bad luck struck again. The poor barbarian could not take the electrical carriage he planned to take, but had to take the carriage at night in stead. So he reached Asturias 12 hours later as planned. Asturias, you might like to know, was the first Christian kingdom after the Moorish invasion, and also the only region that has never been under Moorish control. In this beautiful mountainous region lived an old friend of the barbarian: the prince of Andalusia.
Now you wonder: “why visit the prince of Andalusia in Asturias?” The answer to that is simple, as a prince he is betrothed to the elder princess of Asturias, and thus living there. The prince brought the barbarian to his townhouse, where the barbarian could leave all his luggage and rest from his journey. After a brief tour through his house, the prince told the barbarian that his sister-in-law, the younger princess of Asturias, would soon be picking them up in order to get food for lunch and dinner. It might be wise to say here that the Iberian royal families did not feel they should abuse their people as servants, and thus did everything in their households themselves. The prince warned our barbarian that the younger princess was an incredibly beautiful and charming young lady. But when the barbarian first saw her he was certain that the prince had made the understatement of the millennium. The princess was very beautiful indeed, and had a strong character that she carried with grace and elegance and not with aristocratic arrogance so often found in royalty around the world.
So it happened that while the prince was left to do the bargaining and selecting, the young princess and the barbarian were left to talk amongst themselves. This made the barbarian nervous, so nervous in fact that he just kept on making simple puns and bad jokes. That is, more so than he usually did, as the barbarian was renowned for his ability to make such casual bad joke remarks to lighten up the mood with an optimistic and humorous atmosphere. The young princess did not seem aghast at hearing those strange jokes; in fact she seemed to be charmed by the disarming humour of the young barbarian. After the market the mansion of the royal family was to be visited for the lunch barbeque. Here the barbarian learned that the young princess was already betrothed to another man. This man was, as was proper, a local baron. The baron was an intelligent and kind person, the kind that is hard to dislike, but generally had more luck than you would have. And so it was here as well. The barbarian had slowly started to fall in love with the young princess, and was unable to say it out loud. Both out of fear for a burst of laughter from the princess, as out of fear to upset the baron. And after all, the barbarian had learned in a painful way already that a princess and a barbarian could not get a working relationship. Still it saddened him, as he would try to make it work if he would ever get a chance.
In any case, over the course of the evening the princess only charmed him more and more, she was the wise guide telling him about the region and the culture, and later that evening during dinner she had baked an extra burger just for him, after asking him in the sweetest way ever imaginable if he would be pleased with that. Now you can say it was just courtesy of a hostess to a guest, but the way in which she had put her hand on his shoulder might have suggested something else. The barbarian had noticed no-one else had gotten the offer, even though the baron and the prince of Andalusia with the elder princess were also guests in the royal mansion.
The barbarian was in a way happy to go back with the prince and princess to their abode. He was feeling a strange sort of anxiety around the younger princess, as he kept getting the urge to show his feelings that were just developing further, but could not out of fear of being kicked out of the Asturian courts for disgraceful behaviour. As a guest he could not just go around and shout his feelings from the rooftops of the palaces. But it was killing him that he did not know whether the charms of the princess were intended or just courteous actions towards a guest from abroad.
The next day he thought he had the answer, as the princess did not manage to meet at the agreed time. The barbarian felt sad when the expedition started without her charming guidance, but the Andalusian prince was a very capable guide as well. And through their friendship the barbarian dared to hint at his feelings for the young princess. The prince just smiled and told him he warned him.
Later that day the young princess joined them again, and the barbarian was happy to find out that she simply overslept due to working on too late that night after he had left. But even then, she did appear a bit more distant. The barbarian still thought she was charming, but did notice a little bit of coolness in her demeanour towards him. He thought he might have imagined the intense warmness he received from her the day before. Uncertainty was grabbing at his heart, even after later that evening the princess had shown a bit more warmth again.
The next day the barbarian’s Viking would take him to the kingdom of Aragon to meet with the princess of Aragon in their capital. During this day and his stay in Aragon he realised that he had grown to truly love the beautiful young princess of Asturias. And sadly he had no chance to tell her about his feelings. Thus he began writing his history down in a short story, so that when he got the chance, he could let her read this story of the young barbarian. And maybe she might feel the same, but he sadly did not expect her to. At the same time he had written a poem dedicated to her, which he added at the bottom of his short story. He just hoped she would not ignore him, like many others would do. And he hoped she would not laugh at him.

Diamond of Iberia

With a smile that is heart-warming
Kind, intelligent and charming
The lady, regal and royal
Faithful and loyal
The diamond of Iberia
Cut so brilliantly
A gem polished and shining
Shaped as a heart: conquering and blinding.

Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

jophelerks

Re: my writing.

#2 Post by jophelerks » 11 Aug 2009 19:09

The way you tell the story helps lighten the mood of it, making it good for anecdotes like this...but you'd have to change it if you want to write something more serious. However I did enjoy this one for my part.

Orodaran

#3 Post by Orodaran » 11 Aug 2009 20:46

Mh, I cannot truly understand what you're talking about in the story :wink:
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Gandalf de Grijze

#4 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 11 Aug 2009 22:33

well not really intended as a very serious writing effort, but i liked the storytelling setting, and i had some experiences, it is sortof autobiographical so..
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Celuden Aerwyn

#5 Post by Celuden Aerwyn » 25 Aug 2009 00:47

Oh god formatting what