Roleplay: The fall of Herion

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Draugwen

Re: Roleplay: The fall of Herion

#51 Post by Draugwen » 08 Jul 2009 16:30

Yes, they all seemed very anxious to be moving without even knowing where to, Sarabian noted. He was just listening, trying to measure this... Aethilfrith with his looks without it being too noticeable. There was something about him that didn't quite ring true, but he couldn't place it. A politician's instincts kicking in, maybe.

A day and a half if they happened to manage to get some steeds? That didn't sound promising - especially since the latter wasn't too likely - but there wasn't much they could do about that. "I suppose that every settlement should have someone who knows at least a small bit of medicine - at least something to keep it from getting worse until we find an actual healer" he told Caelwyn optimistically. At least some old home-medical treatment should be possible, right?

He turned his dark eyes back to the elven-looking man. A few hours he'd said. His feet would love it. Well, then at least they might get some rest and information if they happened to reach that settlement - if that was what they could expect Aethilfrith to lead them to. He didn't like it, but what options did they really have? They could be wandering about like they were now for days on end, and he at least wasn't really made for living hand-to-mouth in a forest. So...since no one seemed to object, following it was.

He didn't voice his doubts aloud, though. "It sounds like a plan, unless we want to wait until we grow roots" he said dryly instead.

jophelerks

#52 Post by jophelerks » 08 Jul 2009 17:52

Aethilfrith smiled widely, showing his teeth--and, in some places, the lack thereof. He needed to be sure no one suspected anything. "All right then, friends, next stop is the village of Walhf. All we got to do is get out of this forest, and then it's a walk straight down the main road for about...eh...an hour or so."
He smiled again, putting his whole heart into showing the group his alacrity to lead them to Walhf. He began trotting down the forest path. "Come on!" he said over his shoulder. "I thought the sooner we got the elf to a healer, the better! Well, there ain't no healer I know of in Walhf, but the sooner we get suited up there, the sooner the journey to Maxantia!"
/Heh,/ he thought, /and the sooner we get to Maxantia, the sooner I get my pay./

the blue magian

#53 Post by the blue magian » 08 Jul 2009 18:40

Lardon started walking after the elf first a bit doubtfull but then more sure. for some reason he didnt trusted the elf. allthough he smiled and was nice too them he felt something was wrong.
he felt a small sensation in his body and felt his fingernails grow.
/it would be getting even more difucult too hide his treu identity if the decline of magic in his body kept up.\ he tought "so tell me are there any dragons here?"he asked Aethilfrith. if they would be able to get too the vilaage within an hour he might see change too slip away and change back too his dragon form.

as they walked Lardon kept an eye on the elf and tried to find out what was botheriong him aboute the him.
unable he glansed too Sarabian. he seem too know more aboute people then they wanted too let know and maybe he might be able too place his finger on it.

Cerbere

#54 Post by Cerbere » 09 Jul 2009 05:33

Caelwyn was a mess. His hand hurt and he hadn't got any real rest since he left his home town what seemed like ages ago. He reluctantly started walking. He was anxious to get to Walhf but wasn't very comfortable with these people, especially Aethilfrith. Maybe when they got to Maxanatia and his hand got healed he would break away from these people and try to find out what truly had happened. /Well,/ he thought /That's exactly what they're trying to do so maybe it would be best if we stuck together./

"Dragons?" Caelwyn asked of Lardon "Where I lived dragon went extinct many years before I was born, they were hunted for their scales. The only place I every saw them were paintings."

/Wouldn't that be interesting, to actually see a dragon!/
Last edited by Cerbere on 19 Jul 2009 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

Dentarthurdent

#55 Post by Dentarthurdent » 09 Jul 2009 16:36

Gregor eyed Aethilfrith surreptiously.

/I don't trust this man more than I trust the other newcomer, but he seems at least to have some knowledge of this country, and we need a guide. Let's only hope he isn't up to some mischief... it would serve him badly./

"Well then, let us go on. For this next stage of our travels, I think I shall ride on Formicar to get a better overview. I'll keep low, however."

Having said it, Gregor climbed on the back of the Kreelix and made himself as comfortably as possible between the firy red feathers at the low end of the beast's neck. Expectantly, he looked down to his fellow companions.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Draugwen

#56 Post by Draugwen » 16 Jul 2009 12:41

~*~*~*~

Time passed, slowly. They walked mostly in silence, with Gregor on Fornicar circling low above them, following someone none of them seemed to trust very much, as Sarabian thought he noticed. 'An hour or so' was a bit longer than it had sounded, though that might just be his impression. He hoped to be able to get proper boots soon; that would make walking on ground like this far less strenuous.

He took the time to observe his companions and build his opinions of them. There wasn't much trust for each other within the small company, it appeared. It was understandable, even though they did have a common goal - apart from Aethilfrith, of course. That in itself made him less trustworthy, but it wasn't quite the only thing. Lardon with the snake eyes was also someone to keep an eye on, and if only because of his scaly secret. The other two seemed, like him, mostly intent on finding a way back home, but that didn't tell much about the way they would go on about finding it. Still, they didn't worry him very much so far.

The forest that they had left was followed by grassy hills, with only small groups of trees every now and then. The grass was dry and spiky, although rain didn't seem rare here - even as they walked, a chill wind picked up and clouds began to form in the sky that promised a lot of water. He hoped they would keep that water in until they reached the village, since he wasn't very keen on getting soaked. He doubted that any of them was. The main road, as Aethilfrith had called it, appeared rather small and noticeably empty. It seemed like they were the only ones alive here - until, when they crossed over a hilltop, Sarabian noticed a few wooden houses in the valley and a large river not far from them.
"Is this Wahlf?" he asked Aethilfrith. Well... what else? Though he didn't have much of a feeling for time, they had been walking for a while, and there was nothing else around that might just be the village they were looking for.

jophelerks

#57 Post by jophelerks » 17 Jul 2009 16:01

As Walhf appeared up ahead, Aethilfrith looked up to see Formicar still hovering above them. The creature had made him nervous for the entire journey, but he supposed there was nothing for it but to endure what he must.
"Yes, this is Wahlf," he said in response to Sarabian's question. He gestured to a small cluster of huts as they made their way down into the little valley everything was nestled into. "Those are the homes of the residents, and those..." He gestured to three slightly larger buildings standing behind. "Those...well, the one on the left is the shop, the right, is the stable, and the center one...you see how it comes up a little farther, 'cause it's got two stories? That's the inn. That's where we'd want to be headin' right? I mean, you could ask the townspeople if there's anyone skilled in healing, but..." He shrugged to make a point of his skepticism. "...I don't think you're going to find anything."
Then, suddenly, looking to Lardon, he remembered the strange-looking man's previous question about dragons nearly an hour earlier, the one he had forgotten to answer. "And, ah, Lardon, to answer your question, this ain't exactly dragon country. You might see one or two flying far overhead in the sky, but you'd have to travel pretty far north to find any...significant groups."
He had been truthful enough in that, at least. But why did the snake-eyed man want to know so much about dragons? Unless...no, that couldn't be possible. Well, either way, he'd have to keep as much of an eye on Lardon as he kept on Gregor and his most peculiar steed. /For what I'm dealing with here, I should get paid double./
Pushing aside all his speculation, Aethilfrith once more put on his most eager smile. "So, what are we waiting for? Do you want it to rain before we get a roof over our heads, or what? Come on!" And, once again, he was leading the way.

Cerbere

#58 Post by Cerbere » 17 Jul 2009 22:30

Finally, they arrived at Wahlf. Even if there was no healer here, as Aethilfrith seemed to think, hopefully there would be some good quality wood to splint his hand. They started walking towards the inn, Caelwyn figured he would talk to the bartender and hopefully find out who was the most skilled in bandaging, in this small village. "Aethilfrith?" He asked, "None of us have money that will work in this village." He pulled out a few simple silver coins that had Gryphons, the symbol for the city of Våros, on them. He doubted he would get their worth for them. The twenty coins he had now with him now, in his world, would easily buy a room at any inn for a night, along with food. He didn't know how Aethilfrith was going to get them horses. /Maybe he has a few gold coins?/ He thought, /or maybe he knows some people at the stables that would trust him to take the horses back./

Caelwyn didn't see many people, and the ones he did were avoiding them and acting like they suddenly had something urgent to do. "These people don't seem very friendly..." He commented.

Dentarthurdent

#59 Post by Dentarthurdent » 17 Jul 2009 22:57

While they were still a small distance away from the village, Gregor came down and landed.

"Formicar would cause too much attention in the village. I will leave him behind here, to find a place to hide. He can look after himself and will come when I need him."

He then turned to Caelwyn.

"You have got a point there, with the money. I hope we will get anything in that village without any of whatever they are wont to pay here. Let's hope for the best."

/No Dragon-country, eh? Good, Kreelixes and dragons don' get along very well usually. I hope we won't meet any of these beasts./

Deeply sunken into these thoughts, Gregor trod on beside the others, while Formicar took off again, looking for a place to keep his head down.

the blue magian

#60 Post by the blue magian » 18 Jul 2009 22:44

As they approached the small collection of houses Lardon looked uncertain to go into the village. As the others walked on from the top of the hill he stood still and watched the houses beneath. Quickly he glanced at his hand. With a sigh he followed the others down the hill and listened silently to what they were talking about. The group was of an odd collection he realised and it occurred to him that the people might not want to help them at all.

As the kreelix flew away he stopped, standing just outside the group and only listened. "I might be able to help out with the money problem" he said when they started to discuss how they were planning to get money, although he didn't like too have the attention on him and especially now when the magic that kept him human was failing. He took out the pouch he had taken from the mage before he had burned him and held it out to the others with his other hand that still looked human.

jophelerks

#61 Post by jophelerks » 20 Jul 2009 18:58

As they approached the inn, Aethilfrith heard Caelwyn and Gregor complaining about not having the right kind of money. He was about to produce some of his own when Lardon, the snake-eyed man, pulled out a pouch and opened it to reveal several gold marks of the kind minted in this
area--more, in fact, than Aethilfrith himself had on him. Now this Lardon character was beginning to seem very suspicious. First the inhuman eyes, then the question about dragons, now randomly producing a large sum of money from a place where he never should have been before? The eyes, though, still struck him the hardest. He had never seen a dragon up close before, but if he didn't know better, he would peg those beady snake eyes for dragon's eyes. But, there had to be a better explanation than that. Either way, though, things were looking a little fishy.
"Where did you get that money?" he asked Lardon, and if it was a little accusingly, well, he was getting nervous. "You people told me you'd never been here before, yet you carry coin from the area? What kind of game are you trying to pull here?"
/Even with the payoff in Maxantia, this is beginning to get a bit out of hand,/ he thought. /Perhaps this wasn't such a good idea after all. Still...the reward will be great. I can stick to this. Just a couple more days./
Then, out loud, "Perhaps you didn't need a guide in the first place."

the blue magian

#62 Post by the blue magian » 22 Jul 2009 23:02

Lardon looked at the elf who accused him. "I took it from the guy that brought us here. It was not that he would need it when he joined his ancestors." he said coldly. He looked around the group and then tossed the pouch on the ground. The failing magic that kept him human was somthing that was occupying his mind enough without such accusations thrown at him. The elf was right and he knew that.

He looked darkly to the elf and then broke his stare. "I'm not pulling any kind of game. We've never been here before, so I thought it might be useful to take along the pouch in case there would be something in there we could use." he said. His voice was still cold and his eyes looked like he could breathe fire any time, but he controlled himself. If they were to lose their guide they could be lost, and it would be far more difficult to find their way home. They might not trust him and they had good reason for that but they needed to stik together after he found out why his magic didn't work.

He felt another chill running down his spine this time and he could feel that his shirt began to shrink. Or it felt like that. "Now if the gentlemen are to excuse me, I desperately need some time on my own. But I'll still be around" he said as he turned around and walked away slowly. He could not delay the transformation any longer or he might shred his clothing or wreck a building because he changed back.

Cerbere

#63 Post by Cerbere » 23 Jul 2009 01:30

Caelwyn watched Lardon walk off in no direction in particular. "I think I will be going to the shop now to try to find a healer," Caelwyn said. He picked up the pouch and tossed it to Sarabian. "You can come with me if you want, I am sure none of us would mind if you bought boots with some of this money. But we need to make sure to save some money for buying a room at the inn."

"It also wouldn't be a bad idea to save some money for some drinks, we could all use that right now," he said on second thought.

Balaak

#64 Post by Balaak » 23 Jul 2009 20:35

Aethilfrith looked after Lardon as he walked off alone, grumbling slightly. He then looked to Caelwyn. "I think some drinks would do us all some good, friend. I know the barkeep here. I'll go talk to him and see what the strongest drink he has will be." He nodded slightly and went off into the bar.

"Rendvar, old friend! How be you?" He said with much enthusiasm.
"Been fine. Staying drunk and armed as always." He grinned.
"Well I got a bunch of fuckin paranoid loonies outside. Don't seem to be takin' too kindly to me. I need some strong drink in em."
"I'll see what I can do." said Rendvar as he walked into the back room.
Two men came up on either side of Aethilfrith. One was large and bearded, the other was not more than fifteen and very slender.
"Hello, friend. What brings you to these parts? asked the burly one.
Aethilfrith mumbled something beyond understanding. The burly man continued with the small talk. Just before he turned to the man to kindly tell him to shut his fucking trap, the kid drew a blade and lunged for Aethilfrith. With amazing speed he caught the kid by the hair with his left hand and drew his Seax with his right. He plunged the blade into the kid's throat once. The kid gasped for air and Aethilfrith stabbed him thrice more and dropped the boy to the floor. A burning pain shot through his chest starting just below his right shoulder blade. Once the blade was removed he spun around and began to draw his sword. The blade slashed across his left eye blinding him. he felt the blade stab him in the chest once more before he fell to the ground. He heard deep laughter and saw the man draw his sword and drew it back. Suddenly the man's head rolled to the floor. Rendvar was standing over the man's headless corpse with a bloody short sword. He picked up Aethilfrith and slung him over his shoulder.
"I'll gather your friends. My brother is a healer in the next village. I have a cart that will take you over. Just don't you fucking die on me."

Draugwen

#65 Post by Draugwen » 28 Jul 2009 02:48

Sarabian was close to speaking up when the question of the money arose, when Lardon already took out the pouch and showed it to the group. There were actually coins in there, of considerable worth and in a considerable amount, but he hoped that there were not only gold coins. They would not be of much use in a small village like this. He caught the pouch as Caelwyn tossed it to him and looked after Lardon. He would go look for the strange man later, he decided, when he could slip away as well. There were too many questions about him that he would like solved. He seemed to be... changing as he left, and while Sarabian couldn't quite put his finger on it, nor be sure whether the others actually saw it, it unsettled him. Just as the obvious change in Lardon's hand, his snake-eyes and his curiosity about dragons did. He did not usually have a very vivid imagination, but right now it was suggesting ideas that his feeling for logic and reason immediately kicked to the back of his mind. He took his eyes off Lardon's retreating form to answer Caelwyn.

"Thanks. I'll make sure not to bankrupt us" he said with a certain irony. "We might, after all, also want some travelling supplies - and we're most probably stuck here for a litte while longer than just today. Ah, besides, a healer can't live off gratitude alone either." There were enough reasons to watch their expense of money, even though what he had seen was likely to be worth a lot. He weighed the pouch thoughtfully with his hand. It was heavy. They might also want horses, but there were hardly likely to be any in this small village that could be borrowed or bought. He wondered idly what else there might be in the pouch, but he was going to check that without the rest of the company for a start... later.

In the village, Aethilfrith left rather quickly to go into the inn. Sarabian disliked that a bit, as he would have preferred to keep an eye on the fellow, but he couldn't help that. He turned his eyes to Gregor. "Where were you planning to go now?" he asked, since he was the only one who hadn't given a statement on the matter as of yet, when suddenly there were noises from the inn that made him look towards its door, in front of which they were currently still standing. "What are they doing in there?" he wondered with a slight frown.

Dentarthurdent

#66 Post by Dentarthurdent » 28 Jul 2009 12:31

"I hadn't anything special in mind, what I need I carry with me," Gregor replied. "So we can as well have a look at what our new "friend" is up to, and where that noise is coming from."

He walked towards the inn, not waiting for Sarabian'S response. As he entereed, he met a gruesome sight: In the middle of the bar room lay two bloody corpses, one decaptivated. There was no sight of Aethilfrith, but Gregor noticed a man, probably the landlord, walking thorugh a door behind the bar with a, from what he could perceive, quite elvish-looking man over his shoulder.

"Hey, you, stop!" he shouted, jumped over the bar and ran through the door. "What in the name of Keldin has happened here?"

Cerbere

#67 Post by Cerbere » 30 Jul 2009 05:12

Caelwyn looked at Sarabian then started walking towards the Inn, after Gregor. There were two dead people on the ground, and a lot of blood. Caelwyn followed Gregor through the door on the other side of the bar. The man with the elf over his shoulder turned around and looked at Gregor. Caelwyn could tell that the elf was Aethilfrith.
"You're Aethilfrith's friends aren't you?" Asked the man.

"Yes, I suppose you could say that." Gregor replied.

"He was attacked by two assassins," continued the man "I need to take him to my brother in the next village, he is a healer. You can come along if you wish."

"Yes, that would be nice. Without him were kind of lost in this... part of the world." Caelwyn said. He figured it best not to reveal that they had come from different worlds.

"Ok, follow me." He led them to a cart and set down Aethilfrith, who was unconscience. "I will go get two horses, Wait here.

They waited out those minutes in silence. Then the man came back with two horses.

"I cannot come with you." The man said "I have a business here to run. I can give you directions, though. Go to the edge of town, then make a turn east, ride that way until you meet the coast, then go north until you come upon the village of Gelande. My brother is the healer there. Tell him Rendvar sent you."

"Thank you," Caelwyn said.

"Don't mention it. And don't worry about returning the horses, I owe it to Aethilfrith." Rendvar replied.

Caelwyn attempted to pick up Aethilfrith, but then was painfully reminded of his broken hand. "Could you lift him in?" He asked Gregor.

the blue magian

#68 Post by the blue magian » 31 Jul 2009 15:52

Lardon sped up his pace when he left the village. There weren't a lot of trees in the area and certainly not enough to hide behind. He swore to himself. "That will have to do" he mumbled when he saw a cornfield emerging as he got on top of a hill.

Quickly he ran into the field until he was fairly sure that he was far in it. There he dropped his bag and started to undress.
He was still worried that someone could see him, though he knew that nobody could do so while he was still in human shape. His entire body was already covered by scales by the time he had finished undressing.

The moment he dropped the last of his clothing onto the ground a surge pulled through his body. He gave a loud roar and fell to his knees. His arms and legs started to grow and his hands changed into claws. At the same time his body began to change and to grow bigger. A tail emerged while he slowly took on the shape of a dragon, two stumps on his back growing to end in long fingers, between which a very thin, but strong skin grew as the wings came to their full size. As he grew he started to rise above the cornfield and was able to see the surrounding area. To his dismay there were some farmers in the field next to his that were alerted by his roar. When the transformation stopped and he reached his full size the farmers tarted to scream and run away. He gave another loud roar and streched his wings.
After a few beats to test the strength of his wings he folded them again and looked at the farmers who were running back to the village as if there lifes were depending on it. Lardon let out a sigh. /This is going to cause huge problems.\ he thought.

~*~

The villagers were working to get the bit of grain that was still good off the field before it would start to rain and destroy it. The day had been as it always was lately. The fields didn't produce much good grain anymore for some reason. The demand of the cities and villages who didn't have enough anymore was growing and the farmers were starting to starve along with the people in the cities. The inhabitants of this village were lucky that they lived in isolation. The next village was three days ride by horse and so they were better off than the rest of the continent.
Suddenly they heard a loud roar. Scared, they looked up to see where it came from. As they looked at the field next to the one were the farmers were working they saw a shape growing until it reached to 4 metres above the ground. Paralyzed by fear, the farmers looked at the beast that had emerged from the cornfield. " D..Dr...Dragon!" one of them shouted in fear. Another one took a few steps backwards and soon turned around and ran for his life to get back to the relative safety of the village. The other farmers followed suit.

When they reached the village they started shouting. "Dragon! There's a dragon in the fields! Save yourselves!" It took the rest of the village some time to react to the shoutings. At first the villagers thought that the farmer that came running in was drunk or had lost his mind because of the lack of food, but when the rest of them came shouting the same in a hysterical panic, some of the villagers went out to the ege of town to see for themselves and came back shouting the same. The entire village was in a state of panic. Within a short time everybody who was out had fled back into their houses. Shops closed and locked their doors. One of the farmers passed the inn and saw two strangers getting a third person onto horses. "Are you mad? There is an dragon out there! If you want to stay alive stay indoors!" he shouted as he stopped only briefly before running to his house.

jophelerks

#69 Post by jophelerks » 14 Aug 2009 20:22

Dax quietly emerged from the shadows behind the shop were he was supposed to meet the mage who would strike him a deal. Just his luck, that the guy wouldn't show. Well, he wasn't about to head on some wild goose chase just to track the fellow down, so perhaps he would try his luck here, in Walhf. As laughable as it sounded, in this collection of huts barely passing for a hamlet, the group he was supposed to be assigned to was still here, and with their "guide" having just been dispatched elsewhere, along with the elf and the Kreelix rider, he could perhaps prey upon the nobleman, or the snake-eyed one that had just walked off.
At that moment, from the direction he was sure the snake-eyed man had gone, came a loud, inhuman roar, one that sounded remarkably like a dragon. Moments later, he saw just what he had thought the voice should be paired with - a huge, scaly, snake-eyed dragon. /What a secret to possess, he thought. /I wonder what else this group is hiding from each other./
Ready to act, he ran towards the nobleman, Sarabian, looking extremely flustered as the whole town went into an uproar.
"Oh, please sir," he said bewilderedly, "can you tell me what's going on here? I'm Dax. I...I was just on my way to Maxantia to get some supplies for my family, and...and that thing appeared! Oh, please sir, I've never been so scared in my life and I don't know what to do!"
/And neither, he thought, /do you./

Draugwen

#70 Post by Draugwen » 14 Aug 2009 21:58

Suddenly everything became very busy. Gregor and Caelwyn had just disappeared into the inn after the noise in there had subsided, and left Sarabian standing out in the street on his own, still holding the pouch Lardon had taken from the mage at the very beginning of their journey. /Wonderful./ He grimaced slightly. Well, at least that gave him the chance to do what he had originally intended to - follow their snake-eyed friend to have a little private talk. After all, he figured, since there was only silence coming from the inn right now, Gregor and Caelwyn wouldn't really need him in there.

Only the blink of an eye later, however, fearful shouts arose nearby, coming closer quickly. A dragon in the fields! People fled to their houses, closing the doors firmly behind them - whatever good that might do them against a dragon, Sarabian thought - while he stood still in their midst, not heeding the occasional shout at him, telling him to get to safety. What safety could there be from a dragon in wooden houses? Besides... a nagging suspicion at the back of his mind about Lardon, the man with the eyes of a snake and a hand covered in reddish-brown scales, did not seem that unrealistic at all anymore. Did he still want to go have a talk with him? If Lardon had indeed turned into a dragon... that might prove slightly suicidal.

The struggle between his curiosity and his common sense was interrupted quite suddenly, when a confused-seeming stranger addressed him. Sarabian turned towards the man, measuring him with his looks for a moment - not a villager from this place, certainly - before he gave a brief shrug. His own uncertainity was only betrayed by his slender fingers playing nervously on the pouch he was holding. He had never been the strongest of nerves, and keeping a clear head right now was just slightly difficult, having been left standing alone in the middle of a village in a strange world where everyone was just busy hiding... from a dragon in the fields. At least, he thought wryly, he was the one who had the pouch.

What he could do, however, was appear to be only slightly troubled. "As it appears," he noted rather dryly "there is a dragon in the fields that came out of nowhere and everyone is busy running and hiding from it, though I haven't seen it show a sign of histility as of yet." Truth being told, standing between the houses, he hadn't seen it at all yet. "Incidentally, the tavern doesn't appear to be the most hospitable of places either at the moment, so if you're still up to it, I suggest you remove yourself at a considerable speed." Then, at least, Sarabian could pursue his aforementioned slightly suicidal plans. Somehow though he had the feeling he wouldn't be that easily rid of the man. Not that he wanted to be rude to the apparently upset stranger, but what in the name of the Gods was he of all people supposed to do for him?
~Merin sa haryalye alasse!~

As a matter of fact... Maglor lives!

Cerbere

#71 Post by Cerbere » 15 Aug 2009 05:47

Caelwyn, Gregor, and Aethilfrith just started to ride out from behind the Inn, as a loud roar came from in the corn fields. /What could that be,/ Caelwyn thought. As he was thinking it, he was answered by dozens of screaming villagers yelling things along the lines of, "Dragon!", "Run!", "We all going to die!". Caelwyn couldn't believe it, a dragon! He had never seen one in his life. It was a huge, scaly, and magnificent beast, he could have never imagined. All the painters in his world had it wrong, they portrayed dragons as long, slender, and much more snake-like creatures then they actually were. Caelwyn, overwhelmed by his curiosity, was probably a lot less scared than he should be. He just stared at the giant beast, that appeared to come from nowhere. /Strange, that no one noticed it earlier,/ he thought. /I would have thought he flew everywhere, and he appeared to close to here to have flown without notice.../

"What are you doing?" Yelled a villager at Caelwyn, "Run!" Caelwyn realized that he had been oblivious to the danger, because of his curiosity.

"We need to find Lardon and Sarabian." Caelwyn said to Gregor. They rode into the street but decided that there were to many people running through the streets for riding to make sense right now. "Wait here with the cart," he told Gregor. Caelwyn jumped out and started running down the streets. He first went off into the direction he had seen Lardon wander off into, which was the direction everyone seemed to be running from. He didn't notice him for a few minutes so he started asking villagers if they had seen a man that fit his description. Everyone either ignore him or said no. After a few more minutes of searching, he gave up and decided to look for Sarabian. He was easy enough to find he was standing in the middle of the street talking to a strangely calm villager. "Come with me," Caelwyn told Sarabian. "I will explain later, but now it is imperative that we get moving." He looked at the villager, and noticed that he wasn't a villager at all, he clearly didn't belong here. "If you wish you can come with us we are traveling to Gelande. We have plenty of room in our cart."

jophelerks

#72 Post by jophelerks » 15 Aug 2009 16:28

"G-Gelande?" he asked, still sounding frightened from the continuing ordeal but not uncertain. He turned slightly to Sarabian. "Well, I guess I can follow your advice pretty well this way!" he said nervously to the man, with a weak smile. "That is...if it's okay with you?" He looked hopeful but now definintely somewhat uncertain.
Then he made himself look to be wracking his brain for something, trying to find some important piece of evidence that might be the difference between life and death for many, though he already knew exactly what he would say. His eyes went wide with feigned realization. "I just remembered what my grandfather told me as a boy, about his encounter with a dragon." He made sure to begin trembling now. "It almost always has two different forms: dragon, like this one now, and...and almost human!" These fools had never been here before, so likely enough they wouldn't know the truth of the matter. Then Dax's mouth fell open in shock. "This thing could be one of the very folk that live in this town! One of your friends even, perhaps!" At this point he acted to have reached a state of complete shock. He opened his mouth but made as if no words could come out, his eyes still wide and disbelieving.
/You truly are all fools, he thought, /but that's the way I like it./

Draugwen

#73 Post by Draugwen » 15 Aug 2009 22:39

Leaving for another village? Well, that wasn't exactly what he had in mind - at least not yet. There was still a certain someone missing from the group that he wanted to look for. Besides, there was something about the man wanting to accompany them that didn't quite ring true. Sarabian wasn't sure what exactly, but he was keeping an eye on it. And shrugged. "I don't really mind" he said. It was always better to keep people you didn't feel very certain about somewhere where you could watch them. Closely.

He suppressed an ironic smile at Dax' startling revelation about dragons. The man was good, really, but that was just too obvious. He was acting. Not that Sarabian knew the facts about dragons in this world, but the way Dax had said it and the timing, while it was of little or no importance, ticked it off. He knew about Lardon, and wanted to hit them in the face with it, he was sure of that - particularly because he had figured it out by himself not too long ago.
Sometimes it wasn't all too bad to be a politician. His position, especially with the necessity to watch his back, had made him perceptive - and a good actor.

He frowned. "What an unsettling thought" he said. "Still, one of us is missing, and we can't really leave without him. I'll go look for him." He appeared not to have grasped Dax' hint at all. Feigning stupidity had saved his life during many years. He didn't bother to say anything more, but just turned and disappeared into one of the small paths between the houses... towards the dragon, before he lost the courage to do so. Before he knew it he had stepped out of the village and into the fields and saw the creature standing there... and it was impressive. Frightening, and beautiful, in a way...

The dragon's scales were reddish-brown, like those he had seen on Lardon's hand... and weren't his eyes the same? Now much more hesitating - the creature was intimidating, after all - he approached, waiting for a reaction. Even though he was still at a noticeable distance, the dragon should be able to see him, and he was the only one still out in the fields.
Not that that was very much of a surprise.

the blue magian

#74 Post by the blue magian » 16 Aug 2009 00:21

Lardon backed away a bit and opened up his wings in case the people would come back with weapons. When that didn't happen he folded them back again and looked with interest to the village. /What is going on that they are that afraid of dragons?\ he thought. Not long after that he saw Sarabian coming out of the village and walking towards him.
It was to be suspected that he knew of his secret but he was still surprised that the man was walking towards him. "/You're very brave, dear man, to walk willingly towards a dragon where others run away as fast as their legs can carry them.\" he sent his thoughts to Sarabian. Now that he was in dragon form he could not speak with his mouth but he could send his thoughts to others.

Cerbere

#75 Post by Cerbere » 16 Aug 2009 23:41

Caelwyn eyed Dax suspiciously. Something about him made Caelwyn uneasy. "Perhaps," he said to Dax "There are many things I do not understand about dragons, but... I do not think the dragon is one of our friends." Caelwyn was anxious to get moving. He hoped Sarabian would find Lardon and return quickly. Caelwyn looked back at Aethifrith, he was still unconscious. They needed to get him to a healer if he was going to have any chance for living.

"So, do you know anything about Gelande?" Caelwyn asked Dax, simply to pass time.

jophelerks

#76 Post by jophelerks » 17 Aug 2009 15:49

Dax pretended to recover from his state of shock several seconds after the elf, Caelwyn, asked him about Gelande. "Wh...what? Gelande, you say? Well, I...I don't usually need to go that far east for anything - I'm from up north, you see - but I know the general area okay."
He then paused as he pretended to run some things through his mind. "Hmm...two elves, a nobleman, and a warrior all traveling together...you folk aren't from around here, either, are you? Not to mean any offense of course - I could use the protection with dragons and the like about, and be grateful for it, you can be sure - but this does seem like a strange group of people to be traveling together. And the other member of your group, the one the nobleman went to look for, is he just as...out of place?" Then he looked embarrassed. "You know, I must be making you really uncomfortable. I'm sorry. And wouldn't you know it, seems I've forgotten all my manners today. Haven't properly introduced myself. I'm Dax," he said with a down-to-earth, cordial smile. "And anything I've said that's made you feel uncomfortable, I'm sorry, and I hope you'll still have me along to Gelande. It would be such a lonely journey afoot, besides the dragons lurking about." He let out a chuckle. "Y'know?"
With all the different elements in motion right now, he wondered how this would all play out. As always, he could only wait and see. And with a group of people this interesting, he was prepared to wait for eternity.

Draugwen

#77 Post by Draugwen » 20 Aug 2009 17:33

It took Sarabian a moment to realize that the words that had just formed in his mind, making him halt his steps in surprise, had actually come from the dragon. Fascinating... so he could speak, but there was no need for his words to go via mouth and ears? He hoped that didn't mean that the dragon could read his thoughts. That was a slightly unsettling idea.
When there was no sign of hostility from the giant creature Sarabian relaxed a bit, although he did not come any closer. He suddenly felt quite certain about his assumption concerning the dragon, and while he hoped that meant that he would remain peaceful, the man was still very nervous. Facing a being that could wipe you out within the blink of an eye if it chose to was bound to have that effect.

"Brave or stupid" he smiled faintly, "though I prefer to assume the former." He tried to speak more or less normally - and calmly. While the dragon was still at some distance, he didn't expect he'd really have to speak up to be heard. And if he did, the dragon would surely inform him - if his character hadn't changed with his appearance. Sarabian hoped that was the case, and decided to call things by name - or rather, dragons.

"The rest of the group is waiting for you, Lardon. They appear to have organized a cart and to plan to get moving very quickly. You might just be part of the reason." While a bit more politeness might seem to be appropriate, Sarabian had never been someone to stick to any kind of formalities when he thought they were just being cumbersome. Lardon wouldn't mind... would he?
"Are you planning to explain things to them?" Looking at the fact that Lardon had apparently not been able to keep his hand from becoming scaly, he thought it safe to assume that his changing into a dragon, while it didn't seem to bother him much, had not really been planned, either. As it was, however, it might cause some trouble. More than it already had.

Cerbere

#78 Post by Cerbere » 24 Aug 2009 01:18

"Yes, you can still come along," Caelwyn replied to Dax. "I don't think our guide will survive the trip to Gelande... And to answer your question we aren't from around here. It would be nice to have someone that at least knows this general area... Gelande should be our next stop. There is a healer there, I could get my hand healed and we could sleep there. From there, we shall go to Berimor." Caelwyn waited nervously for him companions to return. Caelwyn preferred the open road to anywhere.

jophelerks

#79 Post by jophelerks » 15 Sep 2009 01:49

Dax cleared his throat. "Well, I guess Gelande would like have what you need." He had planned to wait things out, but things were getting too exciting for him to sit back and be a spectator any longer. He wanted to ignite something himself.
Looking in the direction where he knew the dragon was, he began shaking frantically, eyes bulging. "Uh, friend elf...the dragon, it's...coming this way!" Making sure the elf would have next to no time to respond to his panicked observation, he "lost his balance", falling backward on top of the elf and bringing them both toppling to the ground. Dax wasn't sure whether or not he had managed to mangle the elf's injured hand any more, but it would have been an added bonus if he had.
Making sure to consistently play the part, he continued shaking, beginning to go into a fit of wracking sobs. /Well,/ he thought, it will interest me to see how he reacts to this, at least.

Out of Character, at Cerbere: if you think I played this out as god-modding, just tell me; I can change it, but to be fair I didn't think there would be any real way for your character to avoid being toppled over by mine suddenly falling backwards.

Cerbere

#80 Post by Cerbere » 15 Sep 2009 03:52

Caelwyn was about to say something about the dragon right as Dax fell into him. His initial reaction was to break his fall with both hands, but halfway through the fall he realized that was not a good idea. He turned around mostly and was able to take a small step before going straight to the ground. He caught himself mostly with his right hand, and bent his left arm and managed to hit the ground with his forearm. Pain exploded up his arm. His rolled over on to his back and grasped his arm with his other hand. He just laid there for a few seconds before getting up. As he got up he shot an angry look at Dax. "Be more careful," Caelwyn said in a near shout. "There is nothing to panic about, there are many people between the dragon and us. Why would he come after you?"

Caelwyn calmed down a little and realized he probably overreacted. "Why don't you come with me back to the cart the barkeep gave us? My companion Gregor is there... And Aethilfrith that is if he is not dead yet."

the blue magian

#81 Post by the blue magian » 30 Sep 2009 19:40

Lardon smiled and lay down so he would look less dangerous. "A man calling himself stupid is usually a very smart and brave man." Lardon answered. He could feel that it would take a while for him to be able to change back into human form. He saw that Sarabian didn't come closer but stayed at a distance. "I can assure you that I won't hurt you." he said as he kept looking at the small human.

Sarabian had told him that the others were waiting for him so they could leave this place. And probably because of him. He let a small stream of smoke leave his nostrils and looked to the village. "If they are waiting for me and I'm part of the problem that they want to leave fast then they haven't found out that i'm the dragon." He pondered out loud. "It might be best if I stay at some distance from you guys until I figured out a way to change back again." he said to Sarabian. He thought about explaning things to the others.

"I leave it up to you to decide if you want to tell them what you've seen here. I'm not going to explain things to them if they didn't figure things out themselves."he said desicifvey. Suddenly he looked up towards the village. Now he had turned back to a dragon his hearing had improved too. "I think our friend Caelwyn is in pain. It might be wise for you to go back there and keep an eye on them. I will follow you guys from a distance. " he said standing up again and spreading out his wings to take to the sky. Then he realized that he still had his clothing and bag lying in the field at his feet. "Would you be so kind and take my stuff along?" he asked a bit ashamed because he forgot it.

Draugwen

#82 Post by Draugwen » 07 Oct 2009 19:14

When there was still no sign of hostility from Lardon, Sarabian relaxed a bit. He seemed to be quite himself - even more than before, he mused, and took a few tentative steps closer when the dragon lay down and assured him that he meant no harm. "Even the smartest man will do something very stupid every now and then" he said with a light smile and then shrugged as Lardon told him that what to tell the others was his desicion. "I'll see what they believe" he said. "But no matter what they know, staying at some distance would indeed be a good idea. No offense, but people here don't seem to appreciate your company much, and if they see us sticking around a dragon, it might decrease their hospitality and their wish to offer us help and information just a tad." Lardon seemed intelligent enough not to take that badly.

At the informing comment about Caelwyn he frowned for a moment. "How do you... oh, never mind. What I still forget to tell you is that our... guide Aethilfrith seems to have gotten himself into a certain amount of trouble. It left a mess in the tavern, him badly injured and us with a slight urgency to get him to the healer in the next village. Just so you know." His tone was unconcerned, but then, it usually was. He picked up Lardon's bag. "I'll go keep an eye on our friends" he then simply said, before turning away - with a certain unease, admittedly - from the dragon to make his way back to the village.

He found Caelwyn and Dax still in front of the inn, looking slightly upset, though he couldn't really figure the reason. Caelwyn, though, seemed to have increasing trouble with his hand. "It's time to get moving" he said without further ado when he reached them. "Our friend Lardon will be catching up later, it appears."

Cerbere

#83 Post by Cerbere » 09 Oct 2009 05:32

Caelwyn figured it best not to ask about Lardon at the moment, because Sarabian seemed to know what he was doing. "Follow me," Caelwyn said as he led Sarabian and Dax to Gregor and Aethilfrith. When they got there they were in the same place where Caelwyn left them. Caelwyn climbed up into the cart. /Finally, were moving again/ he thought.

~*~

The mission was done. Reknar's companions had both died, but they were replaceable fodder, and would probably be killed even if they hadn't died on this mission. Maakaron had ordered Aethilfrith dead, and he would be dead before the morning.

Reknar had some other business at the moment. He had been told to follow the group, without their knowledge, and report directly to Maakaron their location when they went to rest. Anyone set to keep watch could be easily dispatched by Reknar, but Maakaron wanted them alive. Reknar recently memorized a powerful hypnosis spell, that he was convinced would take care of any resistance. Reknar was hoping they would sleep in the inn, because that would make this part easier, but with the dragon the group had decided to move on. /Oh well,/ he thought. /I can handle the challenge./

Reknar cloaked himself in a simple invisibility spell, he knew no one would be to detect him, the was nearly no magic in this entire village. /Now for a bit of fun.../ he thought.