Best videogame magic system.

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
TraneDeracs

Best videogame magic system.

#1 Post by TraneDeracs » 01 Oct 2008 14:52

*headbangs for the materia and the espers*

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#2 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 02 Oct 2008 06:37

what do you mean?im confused
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Baby_Kürsch

#3 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 02 Oct 2008 09:14

Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:what do you mean?im confused
FFVII

Palantyre

#4 Post by Palantyre » 28 Mar 2009 10:48

The Elder Scrolls system! Make your own spells! Too bad it was console-dumbified in Oblivion a bit, but in Morrowind it was really a blast (sometimes literally) to make your own goofy spells.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

eolas

#5 Post by eolas » 28 Mar 2009 12:02

It's not the best though I like the one in Arx Fatalis.
You're not dreaming but in a dream...

We're only at home when we're on the run!

End Of An Era

#6 Post by End Of An Era » 29 Mar 2009 12:46

i think it's both FF VII and FF XII

Kankra

#7 Post by Kankra » 30 Mar 2009 08:18

Baldur's Gate.

D&D spells are stupidly ridiculously overpowered, but it was fun tinkering with the spells for my mages until I finally found a way to kill the red dragon or the lich. Although in BG II and the add-on, it's getting even more ridiculous... Summon Deva? Summon Planetar? Wtf.

Palantyre

#8 Post by Palantyre » 30 Mar 2009 17:03

No dragons or liches in the first BG, Martin. That's BGII already. It was the addon that goes beyond epic levels.

And hey, they need to be overpowered because you're fighting overpowered enemies. And you're on your way to become a fucking deity, did you expect magic missiles all the way? Character levels 20 and over in D&D are called epic levels for a reason.

Kankra

#9 Post by Kankra » 30 Mar 2009 17:54

I was talking about the whole series when answering what magic system I liked best.
Character levels 20 and over in D&D are called epic levels for a reason
They're epicly stupid imo. Playing somebody who is becoming a deity? That's... just a tad megalomaniacal? It gets dumber and dumber (in the add on to BG2, to be precise here) when you get to that city under siege, and the merchant is selling +2 or +3 weapons... jesus christ. Not to mention the final boss (Mellisandre or something?) ... if that was a novel, I'd laugh the author out of town.

F.e. the tower in the add on has a really cool enemy (Gorgoron or something like that) that is immune to time stop (that was cool when I first tried time stop on him). Now that a decent dungeon crawl. But the main story line... ugh.

For laughs, magic missile is the best spell to kill dragons btw. Time Stop, Alacrity, then that anti resist spell, cast all your magic missiles, and then after Time Stop runs out --> dead dragon.

But anyway, D&D always had that urge for powergaming. That's why I prefer The Black Eye as system, a far more modest and mature system. And maybe that's why I like Everquest so much. Balanced magic / combat system, nobody has a Power Word: Death spell or something alike.

Palantyre

#10 Post by Palantyre » 31 Mar 2009 05:56

Playing somebody who is becoming a deity? That's... just a tad megalomaniacal?
Yeah. And?
the merchant is selling +2 or +3 weapons...
This is indeed massively relevant to the story. :roll:
Yeah, I agree it's silly, but if you really let that bother you that much you're just way too pedantic for your own good.
Not to mention the final boss (Mellisandre or something?) ... if that was a novel, I'd laugh the author out of town.
Well it wasn't, it was a game. They tend to be somewhat different from novels when it comes to boss battles.
Now that a decent dungeon crawl. But the main story line... ugh.
The Watcher's Keep was just more of the same than the rest of the expansion, except completely irrelevant to anything. All the same overpowered stuff, but without the drama. How is that better?

Kankra

#11 Post by Kankra » 31 Mar 2009 07:36

Yeah. And?
Well I guess it would've been fun early in my teenage years... It can't get more over the top than this I suppose. Or maybe one could've taken on Gods of other fantasy systems in the add on after that. Odin, I pwnz ur face! Time Stop! Alacrity! Meteor! Magic Missile! Lolzerskates!
This is indeed massively relevant to the story. Rolling Eyes
Yeah, I agree it's silly, but if you really let that bother you that much you're just way too pedantic for your own good.
I am not, in my book ofc. The jump from Candlekeep (being almost pwned by a rat, having a +1 weapon being uber) to +3 weapons sold by merchants in the BGII addon is just ridiculous because it totally imbalances the game world. How can I take a game world serious with such blatant issues? Baldur's Gate has been praised for its story, and if it butchers its own story and world, then good night.
Well it wasn't, it was a game. They tend to be somewhat different from novels when it comes to boss battles.
It wasnt the boss fight, it was this patheticly obvious scenario. Of course she was evil.
The Watcher's Keep was just more of the same than the rest of the expansion, except completely irrelevant to anything. All the same overpowered stuff, but without the drama. How is that better?
It had a believable backdrop? A monster incarcerated by Gods themselves. A tower with growing difficulty. A moral choice(s) at the end. And the player just a passer by, sucked into the battle. Not the godly being himself.

Palantyre

#12 Post by Palantyre » 31 Mar 2009 19:07

So the player character approaching godhood is too megalomaniacal, but a creature imprisoned because it was too powerful for the gods is just peachy and okay.

jeez.

Kankra

#13 Post by Kankra » 31 Mar 2009 20:01

What is wrong about some ancient creatures being more powerful than a God? It's just semantics, Demogorgoron is a God by himself anyway. Also, the problem was incarcarating him, not defeating him.

And yes, a player approaching godhood is totally different from what any NPC is doing in the storyline.

Palantyre

#14 Post by Palantyre » 01 Apr 2009 00:04

Taking part in a divine power struggle and possibly becoming a deity is at least a damn sight more original than the usual saving the world from whatever ancient demon happens to be threatening it this week.

Kankra

#15 Post by Kankra » 01 Apr 2009 08:30

Palantyre wrote:Taking part in a divine power struggle and possibly becoming a deity is at least a damn sight more original than the usual saving the world from whatever ancient demon happens to be threatening it this week.
Comparing a bad storyline to another bad storyline doesnt make either look better .p That's why megalomanical stories suck in the end: there is no room to create a new story. Yet in everyday life (read: stories of a modest scale), there are topics aplenty.

Led Guardian

#16 Post by Led Guardian » 01 Apr 2009 21:37

Kankra wrote:
Palantyre wrote:Taking part in a divine power struggle and possibly becoming a deity is at least a damn sight more original than the usual saving the world from whatever ancient demon happens to be threatening it this week.
Comparing a bad storyline to another bad storyline doesnt make either look better .p That's why megalomanical stories suck in the end: there is no room to create a new story. Yet in everyday life (read: stories of a modest scale), there are topics aplenty.
I like how you've decided that your idea of a good storyline is the universal idea of a good storyline. I hope you have big doors in your house, or you might have trouble fitting your ego through them.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Kankra

#17 Post by Kankra » 02 Apr 2009 07:19

I've read and wrote enough stories to be able to give my opinion on what's a good or bad storyline (in my opinion, woah!).

If you have a problem with that, I recommend a hankie. :roll:

Led Guardian

#18 Post by Led Guardian » 02 Apr 2009 21:25

Kankra wrote:I've read and wrote enough stories to be able to give my opinion on what's a good or bad storyline (in my opinion, woah!).

If you have a problem with that, I recommend a hankie. :roll:
As have I. I just disagree with your opinion (woah!).
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Kankra

#19 Post by Kankra » 02 Apr 2009 21:43

And that's perfectly ok. Why would that even be in question?

Led Guardian

#20 Post by Led Guardian » 02 Apr 2009 22:00

Kankra wrote:And that's perfectly ok. Why would that even be in question?
Your phrasing suggests your stating a fact more than an opinion. I should know, I've done that before. :roll:

Kankra

#21 Post by Kankra » 03 Apr 2009 07:14

That's fact!

Led Guardian

#22 Post by Led Guardian » 03 Apr 2009 17:30

Kankra wrote:That's fact!
:lol:

Celuden Aerwyn

#23 Post by Celuden Aerwyn » 20 May 2009 08:32

Sometimes being able to destroy armies with a single slash of your sword is just fucking awesome.

The Rider Of Rohan

Re: Best videogame magic system.

#24 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 04 Aug 2009 12:44

I swear by Chrono Trigger's system. It's so amazingly versatile, and the ability to link up spells is pure genius.

I like the fact that characters learned new abilities just by leveling up. In it's sequel Chrono Chross the game ventured more towards a FF6-like Esper-system. While that sounds good in theory, the reality of it was that you'd have to re-equip items every couple of battles.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

rdyfrde

#25 Post by rdyfrde » 05 Aug 2009 00:13

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:I swear by Chrono Trigger's system. It's so amazingly versatile, and the ability to link up spells is pure genius.

I like the fact that characters learned new abilities just by leveling up.
I agree with you totally :)

Though I will say the most unique magic system was in the old SNES game Paladin's Quest. Instead of having magic points, you lost HP for every spell cast. It made for an interesting way of playing because you had to make sure you had enough HP to cast. And you couldn't just play through the game without using magic because it would throw enemies at you that needed magic in order to defeat them.
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

The Rider Of Rohan

#26 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 06 Aug 2009 22:35

Ooh, that sounds good, but I can imagine the boss-battles getting pretty frustrating once you're low on HP and nead to deliver two or three final blows. Was there a way to regain HP?
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

rdyfrde

#27 Post by rdyfrde » 07 Aug 2009 07:57

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Ooh, that sounds good, but I can imagine the boss-battles getting pretty frustrating once you're low on HP and nead to deliver two or three final blows. Was there a way to regain HP?
Yeah boss battles were definitely a pain in the butt.

Though they have these things called belts which sort of resembled what Legend of Zelda has with it's bottles. These belts had different uses depending on what they were. There were ones that healed you, ones that cured you of status effects, and ones that were even bombs. Thankfully unlike LoZ, they had 8 uses before they were empty. Every town allowed you to refill them for money.

Still, you only have two people in your team so you had to figure out who was going to be the healer and who was going to be the fighter. Sure, you could hire mercenaries along the way to help you out but you couldn't give them the belts to use. Whatever they had equipped when they joined you, is what they had through the whole time they were with you.
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Cerbere

#28 Post by Cerbere » 07 Aug 2009 19:42

That game sound awesome. Except my SNES broke and you can't get it for Wii virtual console :(

The Rider Of Rohan

#29 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 08 Aug 2009 16:16

Well, you could always download Snes9x and play it on your pc.

Or even better: mod your Wii.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Cerbere

#30 Post by Cerbere » 09 Aug 2009 00:13

I actually already have homebrew on it 8)

The Rider Of Rohan

#31 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 10 Aug 2009 00:00

Great. In that case: feel free to google the Wii-port of snes9x and load lots of 16-bit roms on it.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Cerbere

#32 Post by Cerbere » 10 Aug 2009 06:54

Yep I just got Paladin's Quest, Super Mario and, Mortal Kombat 1-3.