Best PC RPG games.

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
TraneDeracs

Best PC RPG games.

#1 Post by TraneDeracs » 17 Apr 2008 18:18

Recommend me something to look into possibly buying. I grow tired of the rhetorical titles that come out these days which seem to cater to either the HALO or the World of Warcraft crowd. I miss good storylines being the centerpiece of a game.

I have heard great things about the Fallout series, though are there any good Diablo-esque horror/rpg's out there?

Led Guardian

#2 Post by Led Guardian » 18 Apr 2008 02:25

Best PC RPG's ever are the Baldur's Gate series. Hands down. They have a great storyline and deep character interaction. If you don't have them, get them.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Giberelina

#3 Post by Giberelina » 18 Apr 2008 02:45

Best story and characters: Planescape Torment. (A lot of role playing and little hack and slash)
Although, the beest crpg games: Baldur's Gate. Just supreme, never surpassed.
Fallout is great too, post-apocalitic, guns, gore, and all that. But the NPCs aren't so elaborated.
I miss them too :(

endlessfreak

#4 Post by endlessfreak » 20 Apr 2008 20:30

I thin that Diablo II and the addon Lord of Destruction is also one of the best RPGs.

Every year I once get addicted for a few weeks, and i MUST play diablo II ;)
Freak stays Freak, no matter what the future brings ;)

t.a.j.

#5 Post by t.a.j. » 20 Apr 2008 21:41

Diablo is not an RPG.
It's an RTS game with just one unit.

Baldur's Gate 2 is an RPG with combat that plays like an RTS game with a handfull of units that require massive micromanagement and can't find their way anywhere.

Fallout 2 is almost perfect. It lacks some of the depth of character we find in Black Isle titles, but that's really not that much of a detriment. This should take a well justified first position.

Knights Of The Old Republic. Baldur's Gate had great characters? If so, this game has people instead. KotOR mixes great storytelling, awesome atmosphere and lifelike characters with a good gaming interface. Too bad the overall game structure had some deficits.

Gothic 2 let's you explore stuff almost totally freely. Too bad it plays too much like an ego shooter with swords most of the time.

Jagged Alliance 2 is a turn based skirmish tactical game with wonderful and hillarious characters, lot's of stuff to do and a very good combat system. Too bad it lacks in RPGishness.

I guess some ultima title should go here, but I haven't really played any.

Though outpaced in storytelling and immersion by more recent titles, WIzardry 6-8 are still the kings of old school RPGs.

It bears repeating that Diablo is not an RPG.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Minstrel Knight LiGHT

#6 Post by The Minstrel Knight LiGHT » 21 Apr 2008 06:55

The Avernum series have a better storyline than all of those games mentioned above...combined. I kid you not. It's the way RPGs are meant to be played.
The Minstrel Knight LiGHT wrote:I admit defeat to Traez

Led Guardian

#7 Post by Led Guardian » 22 Apr 2008 00:18

The Minstrel Knight LiGHT wrote:The Baldur's Gate series has a better storyline than all of those other games mentioned above...combined. I kid you not. It's the way RPGs are meant to be played.
I fixed your typos for you. :D :D :D :D
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

eolas

#8 Post by eolas » 09 May 2008 21:18

Planescape Torment and KoToR are very good RPG games with Baldur's Gate; their athmosphere and storytelling are really exciting.
You're not dreaming but in a dream...

We're only at home when we're on the run!

nerjal

#9 Post by nerjal » 16 May 2008 20:49

System Shock series and Deus Ex (the first one, Invisible War kinda suck)
Bravery is not a function of Firepower - JC Denton

ariellajem

#10 Post by ariellajem » 10 Jul 2008 06:11

Definitely have to mention KotOR again (Not KotOR II!!! It was a whole different dev team and not nearly as good). Best RPG ever hands down. Then it's a tie for me between the Elder Scrolls series and the 2007 sleeper hit The Witcher based on a book series by a Polish writer. It's made with Bioware's (the people behind the original KotOR) aurora engine and the story line kicks much ass. Not to mention that the European release includes the naughty little nudie cards that you collect from sleeping with as many women as you can in the game. It was certainly the highlight for me. I made sure to get the EU release just for that reason. Boobies aside though it is a killer game with great mechanics and a fantastic story line.

Dave THornus

#11 Post by Dave THornus » 10 Jul 2008 10:47

t.a.j. wrote:Diablo is not an RPG.
The simply call it a Hack & Slash game. it's far from a RTS game because it simply had no real strategy in it.

I simply have to mention Neverwinter Nights (and the 2 expansions). Although the original story in the game is pretty crappy, but has a few nice side steps. I really fell in love for the game because of the online possibilities of the game. Small dedicated servers with mostly a maximum of 20 to 40 players and some good DM's gave me some of the best RP moments on a PC ever.
And Even in my darkest hour a sign of hope was written in the sky.

TraneDeracs

#12 Post by TraneDeracs » 10 Jul 2008 19:28

Poor Australians...Fallout 3 has been banned in the country.

Beren Ercharmion

#13 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 10 Jul 2008 20:11

Led Guardian wrote:Best PC RPG's ever are the Baldur's Gate series. Hands down. They have a great storyline and deep character interaction. If you don't have them, get them.
Everything that should be said was already posted in the very first reply.
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

teo_guardian

#14 Post by teo_guardian » 21 Oct 2008 23:25

Have you ever played Morrowind?that's the best of them all..

Led Guardian

#15 Post by Led Guardian » 22 Oct 2008 03:37

teo_guardian wrote:Have you ever played Morrowind?that's the best of them all..
It can't be. See, the best has already been decided in this topic.
Led Guardian wrote:Best PC RPG's ever are the Baldur's Gate series. Hands down. They have a great storyline and deep character interaction. If you don't have them, get them.
Morrowind will just have to settle for second best at best.

teo_guardian

#16 Post by teo_guardian » 22 Oct 2008 04:29

i just said what's my best..not the topic's best...mine is morrowind

Led Guardian

#17 Post by Led Guardian » 22 Oct 2008 04:42

teo_guardian wrote:i just said what's my best..not the topic's best...mine is morrowind
Silence. The topic decides the appropriate opinion for all.

teo_guardian

#18 Post by teo_guardian » 22 Oct 2008 04:44

yes master

Led Guardian

#19 Post by Led Guardian » 22 Oct 2008 04:45

teo_guardian wrote:yes master
You have learned well, young grasshopper.

teo_guardian

#20 Post by teo_guardian » 22 Oct 2008 04:51

will i become like you one day master?

t.a.j.

#21 Post by t.a.j. » 22 Oct 2008 08:43

Dave THornus wrote:
t.a.j. wrote:Diablo is not an RPG.
The simply call it a Hack & Slash game. it's far from a RTS game because it simply had no real strategy in it.
That's were the "only one unit" part comes in.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Led Guardian

#22 Post by Led Guardian » 22 Oct 2008 21:03

teo_guardian wrote:will i become like you one day master?
Only if you are diligent in following the path to enlightenment, and spend many hours meditating on how best to destroy your enemies using only a sorcerer.

teo_guardian

#23 Post by teo_guardian » 22 Oct 2008 23:34

Led Guardian wrote:destroy your enemies using only a sorcerer.
that's what i do all the time actually ..

teo_guardian

#24 Post by teo_guardian » 25 Oct 2008 18:06

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LtFGPVybM ... re=related
how can the game with this music NOT be great?
PLAY IT!!!

Biedrik

#25 Post by Biedrik » 25 Oct 2008 21:33

Baldurs Gate of course is awesome, as already mentioned. The Gothic series is pretty cool (don't worry, it isn't angsty like a goth). Recently I've really gotten into The Witcher. A very cool game that actually gives you real moral choices. None of this crap where you're told that you get moral choices, but end just having 2 choices, the extremely good, and the super evil. The Witcher gives lots of gray area for you to pick from.

power_dysfunction

#26 Post by power_dysfunction » 26 Oct 2008 03:41

nerjal wrote:System Shock series and Deus Ex (the first one, Invisible War kinda suck)
Deus Ex had some RPG-ish elements, but it's decidedly an FPS, not an RPG.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

Baby_Kürsch

#27 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 01 Nov 2008 00:54

TraneDeracs wrote:Recommend me something to look into possibly buying. I grow tired of the rhetorical titles that come out these days which seem to cater to either the HALO or the World of Warcraft crowd. I miss good storylines being the centerpiece of a game.

I have heard great things about the Fallout series, though are there any good Diablo-esque horror/rpg's out there?
The Fallout series, picked up number 3 last night and its fantastic. I spent endless hours playing Fallout 1 & 2 when I was younger. Probably the best RPG series I have ever played. Unique, challenging, fantastic story line and hundreds of different endings and great character creation. Fallout 3's character creation is very interesting as well.

Turin Turambar

#28 Post by Turin Turambar » 09 Nov 2008 18:26

the lord of the rings online. try that mmorpg, it's pretty awesome.
-from the dark age and into the storm!
-f0||0w€r forevermore!!!

prongs

#29 Post by prongs » 14 Nov 2008 16:29

I think Gothic 2 is really good,it's the most "free" RPG i've ever played and the storyline is really interesting.
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Knightrider of Doom

#30 Post by Knightrider of Doom » 14 Nov 2008 16:41

hmm, best RPG for PC? .... well, first: download the SNES emulator, then...
:lol:
nah, sorry, I prefer eastern RPGs, but I will get Diablo 3 probably cause the videos look nice

Psychotron

#31 Post by Psychotron » 14 Nov 2008 23:23

I've never played an RPG game on the PC. But I have The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the PS3 and it is a good game but at this point I got tired of it. Too many things to do.
I've also heard many good things about Baldur's Gate and Fallout games. It seems to me that those are the better considered ones. And I'm also more of the japanese RPG style, Final Fantasy and things like that.
check out my music and Blind Guardian covers here

Knightrider of Doom

#32 Post by Knightrider of Doom » 05 Mar 2009 15:15

Fallout 3 is actually damn nice, if you wanna call it an RPG, actually it's an FPS, with quests, and a damn great worldmap! You can also gain exp, lvls and skills, but you won't notice the difference since the monsters get stronger too.
I'd like to buy it original, but it's so buggy on PC, PC games are a waste of money since you never know if the game runs on your PC, and with those Securom DRM whatever protection you can't even sell many games... don't buy PC games with Securom! Download them ;D
(the new Prince of Persia game has no copy protection, buying that is ok)

Cerbere

#33 Post by Cerbere » 06 Mar 2009 01:43

Bard's Tale!

epic game, funny too, i have it for the ps2 u might be able to get it for the xbox also

oblivion is awesome. And the game, planescape torment, where did you guys get it? yes, baldur's gate is awesome, i was really far, in the iron throne place in baldurs gate (the city) and my computer stopped got pretty much bricked, but we got a new one with insurance stuff and the game still works, but i lost my save

Palantyre

#34 Post by Palantyre » 27 Mar 2009 19:53

The Withcer!
Now that's one kickass game. (maybe even as good as Baldur's Gate 2)
Most mature computer RPG ever, and not only because it has nude chicks. (It does for real, not modded) The world of The Witcher is a bleak and harsh place, and people are downright selfish, racist, callous bastards. so yeah, kinda like in Fallout. There's also the moral ambiguity, a lot of times it's only a matter of perspective who's evil and who's good.

Let's take a classic scenario in an rpg: A beggar asks you for gold. In a typical game, you can:
a) Give him a hundred gold. You alignment will shift 3 points towards good and the evil members of your party will whine and the good ones commend you.
b) Just walk away, and nothing will happen.
c) Set the beggar on fire, piss on the ashes and steal the four gold pieces he had. Your evil party members will comment on how fun you're to be around and the good ones will ask if that was really necessary.

In Witcher, option A would probably end with the beggar getting mugged and killed the moment you're out of sight by thugs who saw you give him the money, and C would save hundreds of lives because burning the beggar stopped him from spreading the plague he was carrying. An exaggerated comparison, but you get the idea.

So yeah, great game. Very atmospheric world, good story and dialogue, great musical score. The combat is pretty fun too once you get the hang of it.

Mass Effect
Rightly deserving of its status as an instant classic. One of the coolest sci-fi universes I've seen, and the storytelling is just superb. The basic idea behind the plot (ancient evil rising to kill everyone dead) is really old-fashioned, but goddamn it's told well. Not many games manage to pull off this much drama out of its plot. No wonder the movie rights have already been sold, and not to Uwe Boll. Some reviewer said it best: "Mass Effect is a great science-fiction novel in video game form. Meaning, it mixes the highest caliber of pure story with the decision making and raw action of the best games."
And oh yeah, following with Bioware traditions, the characters and their voice actors are top of the line.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Kankra

#35 Post by Kankra » 30 Mar 2009 08:09

Some old school stuff not mentioned yet.

Betrayal at Krondor - a game based on Feist books. Amazing for its time.
Shadows over Riva - based on The Black Eye, a German pen and paper RP system
Icewind Dale - similar to Baldur's Gate, but couldn't fill BG's footsteps

Palantyre

#36 Post by Palantyre » 30 Mar 2009 17:08

That's because Icewind Dale and the sequel are more akin to Diablo with six characters. They're supposed to be the (even) more combat oriented brothers of the BG games.
That said, Icewind Dale 2 is really, really good.

Led Guardian

#37 Post by Led Guardian » 30 Mar 2009 22:08

Palantyre wrote:
That's because Icewind Dale and the sequel are more akin to Diablo with six characters. They're supposed to be the (even) more combat oriented brothers of the BG games.
That said, Icewind Dale 2 is really, really good.
The major battle events are quite epic. 8)

Celuden Aerwyn

#38 Post by Celuden Aerwyn » 20 May 2009 08:36

power_dysfunction wrote:Deus Ex had some RPG-ish elements, but it's decidedly an FPS, not an RPG.
Your stats affect your ability to do anything in the world, and the primary focus of the game is on character interaction and choices made during gameplay. It's an RPG.

Cerbere

#39 Post by Cerbere » 29 May 2009 00:31

I've been playing a lot of Baldur's Gate recently. The replayability is the best for any game I have ever played. I'm going to get Icewind Dale but can't find it for mac. Maybe i'll just get it for pc.

Kankra

#40 Post by Kankra » 02 Jun 2009 17:46

Haha, I ordered the BG Collectors Edition 2 days ago :P

BG1+2+both expansions

Led Guardian

#41 Post by Led Guardian » 02 Jun 2009 21:48

Hey, I've got that on DVD. 8)

Sorlaun
Location: On top of an awesome dwarfy mountain of dwarvenish dwarf awesomeness.

Re: Best PC RPG games.

#42 Post by Sorlaun » 09 Aug 2009 07:55

In my opinion, the best PC RPG game is The Elder Scrolls : Daggerfall.
Such a fun game...I mean, I like Oblivion, but Daggerfall blows it out of the water, hehe. (Once again in my opinion)
I mean, Oblivion has BEAUTIFUL graphics, and some nice gameplay, but...I don't know. There's just something special about Daggerfall. In particular, I really like all the dungeons. *is a dungeon crawler, I guess.*
By the way, World of Warcraft, if that counts, comes in an extremely close second place.
Last edited by Sorlaun on 10 Aug 2009 18:54, edited 2 times in total.

Palantyre

#43 Post by Palantyre » 09 Aug 2009 14:45

Sorlaun: So what about Morrowind? That's the Elder Scrolls game I personally appreciate the most. Sure, Oblivion is bigger and shinier and all that, but Morrowind has this certain special something to it.
Daggerfall was fun back in the day, but now? I dunno... haven't played it in ages, mostly because I can't be arsed to fiddle with DOSBox to make the game work.

Sorlaun
Location: On top of an awesome dwarfy mountain of dwarvenish dwarf awesomeness.

#44 Post by Sorlaun » 09 Aug 2009 15:01

Palantyre wrote:Sorlaun: So what about Morrowind? That's the Elder Scrolls game I personally appreciate the most. Sure, Oblivion is bigger and shinier and all that, but Morrowind has this certain special something to it.
Daggerfall was fun back in the day, but now? I dunno... haven't played it in ages, mostly because I can't be arsed to fiddle with DOSBox to make the game work.
I did forget Morrowind. I should refrain from posting in forums about two minutes after I've woken up and before I've got my shower, :lol: .
Yes, Morrowind is indeed a fun game as well. It too has something I feel Oblivion lacks, but, not surprisingly, being I'm not very clear in the head right now, I can't seem to put my finger on it. I don't know. Maybe it's missing the actual "roleplay" aspect? *shrug*

Mackasfour

Re:

#45 Post by Mackasfour » 18 Aug 2009 12:35

TraneDeracs wrote:Poor Australians...Fallout 3 has been banned in the country.
Not true, it's everywhere :lol:

Hmmm, RPG eh??? well, WoW or LotRO :twisted:
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Lowan

#46 Post by Lowan » 25 Jul 2010 18:23

LOL Everybody knows that the best RPG games are:
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Neverwinter Nights
  • Diablo
  • Might And Magic
  • Ultima
  • Final Fantasy
  • Castlevania (it's kinda look a platform serie but it has more than that)
  • Icewind Dale
There is more than the list but i can say this with all my heart!
The East Sun is burning hard
See, the life is short
See the rainbow in the mirror
See the rainbow in the sky
See the desert in front of you
See the desert of life

I'm no sinner. I'm no fool
I have heard these chants before
I have told you, but now it is too late
These are Symphonies of Doom

T-Fizzle

#47 Post by T-Fizzle » 28 Jul 2010 18:41

I'm throwing another vote in for Morrowind.

Or Final Fantasy IV.

Or Pokemon SoulSilver. Great RPG mechanics if you can cope with those stupid animals.
Kickin' names and takin' ass.

spamel

#48 Post by spamel » 28 Jul 2010 19:47

Another for Morrowind, I used to spend ages making potions! I also enjoyed cleaving folk in twane with one swipe of my Katana! I also like the Hidden and Dangerous RPG, slotting WW2 Germans with my elite SAS troops is a source of constant amusement to me! I also enjoy nicking their Tiger panzers and running everything over!
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Tarnag_Peppe

#49 Post by Tarnag_Peppe » 29 Jul 2010 12:37

The greatest RPG for me is Fable 2.
It is beautiful, believe, and on October 29 released the third Chapter of the series! :wink:

Cerbere

#50 Post by Cerbere » 29 Jul 2010 17:29

Would it be ok if I got Fable 2 before 1 or should I definitely get 1 first?