World of Warcraft

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Led Guardian

#51 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Apr 2009 03:46

verbranden wrote:
Knightrider of Doom wrote:
FantasyDrummer wrote:Yesterday a freind of mine visited me. After 15 minutes he got a call from another WoW player and was out of my place 5 minutes after this call. :shock:
In my opinion many computer games are fun, but there has to be a border of priorities.
that's normal for WoW players, if they're on a party, in school, or wedding... a so called 'Raid' is more important for them.
You're an idiot.
Why? Seems to hold true at least some of the time.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Kankra

#52 Post by Kankra » 14 Apr 2009 07:30

"Some of the time" isn't a valid measurement. And I really doubt any WoW player would leave his wedding for a raid. :roll:
In some cases these games are very dangerous. Yesterday a freind of mine visited me. After 15 minutes he got a call from another WoW player and was out of my place 5 minutes after this call.
In my opinion many computer games are fun, but there has to be a border of priorities.
That's exactly what it is, priorities. I can't see why that would be dangerous... ? His priority lay with his raid.

verbranden

#53 Post by verbranden » 14 Apr 2009 15:09

Led Guardian wrote:Why? Seems to hold true at least some of the time.
1) He comes into a thread to proselytize against something he's obviously very personally invested against;
2) For that matter, being personally invested against a leisure activity is pretty damn dumb on its own;
3) Thinking that they way he chooses to spend his leisure time is inherently "better";
4) Taking the anecdotal actions of one person to represent the common player in a game whose subscriptions number in the tens of millions (hint: anecdote is not the singular of data).

Take your pick.

Kankra wrote:"Some of the time" isn't a valid measurement. And I really doubt any WoW player would leave his wedding for a raid. :roll:
Oh, I know I totally did. Music was playing and I was walking down the aisle in my poofy dress, and then someone called me and was like, "OMG LETS RUN KARA", so I was like "SCREW YOU BITCHES, I'VE GOT LOOTS TO GET" and left to go raid.

Oh wait.

No, no I didn't.
artist formerly known as daladus

FantasyDrummer

#54 Post by FantasyDrummer » 14 Apr 2009 20:34

I just don´t share this fascination of the players. I asked my friend yesterday, when I was at his place [where he was again having a raid (dunno what this actually is)], and asked him why he is so fascinated by the game that he keeps on playing it for hours. He said that it would be a great experience to play together with his other mates and talk to them over skype at the same time. When he said that I just thought "Dude, you are playing together, but you are alone at the same time." I left his place five minutes after this thought. :x

Led Guardian

#55 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Apr 2009 21:09

verbranden wrote:
2) For that matter, being personally invested against a leisure activity is pretty damn dumb on its own;
Know what else is dumb? Popping into a discussion to call someone an idiot after one comment, just because a generalization was made about a single (not very important, in my opinion) thing.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

verbranden

#56 Post by verbranden » 14 Apr 2009 21:31

Led Guardian wrote:
verbranden wrote:
Know what else is dumb? Popping into a discussion to call someone an idiot after one comment, just because a generalization was made about a single (not very important, in my opinion) thing.
I was already participating in the discussion, and it was a very stupid generalization.

Led Guardian

#57 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Apr 2009 21:49

verbranden wrote:
Led Guardian wrote:
verbranden wrote: 2) For that matter, being personally invested against a leisure activity is pretty damn dumb on its own;
I was already participating in the discussion, and it was a very stupid generalization.
You'd only made one comment previous to that one, and a person making a stupid generalization once does not make a stupid person. That's inferring a broader theme from a single incident. (sound familiar :roll: )

FantasyDrummer

#58 Post by FantasyDrummer » 14 Apr 2009 21:51

Knightrider of Doom wrote:). I also know someone who is WoW-addicted, and I missed an Iced Earth concert because that assclown didn't appear (the next day I found out he was playing WoW) and he had my ticket... so when I called him, it was too late. Since he bought the Tickets it's okay, he didn't get money for that xD

So, I don't think any Game should have a higher priority that RL-friends, else you're really gonna be a lonely player...
Bad story. :o

That is what I mean with my thought mentioned in my last post.

Palantyre

#59 Post by Palantyre » 14 Apr 2009 22:20

Knightrider of Doom wrote:
FantasyDrummer wrote:Yesterday a freind of mine visited me. After 15 minutes he got a call from another WoW player and was out of my place 5 minutes after this call. :shock:
that's normal for WoW players, if they're on a party, in school, or wedding... a so called 'Raid' is more important for them.
That is a flaw in the person, not the game. If said friend would've instead run off to a paintball match or a LARP, would it be any better?
People's priorities can get skewed over practically anything, singling out a game from that lot and labeling it harmful because of a small demographic has a problem with it is just damn shortsighted.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Lews

#60 Post by Lews » 14 Apr 2009 22:46

Led Guardian wrote: You'd only made one comment previous to that one, and a person making a stupid generalization once does not make a stupid person. That's inferring a broader theme from a single incident. (sound familiar :roll: )
Someone comes into a topic with his only apparent intent being flaming people who like a certain game, and he is being judged stupid for that.

VS.

Someone taking an incident from a group of people, and saying it is NORMAL for the people in that group to do that.

How is that the same?
*I think they are deadly poisonous zanzibar hamsters*

Led Guardian

#61 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Apr 2009 23:47

It's the same because Knightrider categorized all WoW players under a single heading, citing FantasyDrummer's single example, while verbranden called Knightrider an idiot, therefore defining Knightrider's overall intelligence, based on a single comment. They each made a broad statement based on one small piece of information.

And I hardly think Knightrider was flaming people. (He/she?) was adding a legitimate opinion to the discussion. Just because it disagreed with some people's opinions and was critical of something doesn't make it flaming. I think of flaming more as "Fuck you this is shit your retarded you homo."

Kankra

#62 Post by Kankra » 15 Apr 2009 07:08

FantasyDrummer wrote:I just don´t share this fascination of the players. I asked my friend yesterday, when I was at his place [where he was again having a raid (dunno what this actually is)], and asked him why he is so fascinated by the game that he keeps on playing it for hours. He said that it would be a great experience to play together with his other mates and talk to them over skype at the same time. When he said that I just thought "Dude, you are playing together, but you are alone at the same time." I left his place five minutes after this thought. :x
Not "being alone" is seriously overrated.
So, I don't think any Game should have a higher priority that RL-friends
There are friends... and then there are guys.

Palantyre

#63 Post by Palantyre » 15 Apr 2009 14:32

I know several people who play WoW.
Some even play other MMORPGS besides that.
None of them, not a single one of them, have I witnessed to have any sort of social impairment or "wrong" kind of priorities or anything like that because of the games. Not one.

And that is a cold, hard fact, not just what I think.

Palantyre

#64 Post by Palantyre » 15 Apr 2009 17:50

Yeah, maybe you haven't.
But.

The existence of people to whom WoW is a harmful addiction (as evidenced by you) does not negate the statement "Not all WoW players are addicts/misfits/etc", as this statement never claims that there are no problem individuals at all.

However, the fact that there are people who play WoW and have no problems due to it, effectively disproves the statement "All WoW players are addicts/misfits/etc".

Simple logic, dear Watson.

Kankra

#65 Post by Kankra » 15 Apr 2009 22:04

Knightrider of Doom wrote:sorry, but I think if someone leaves his friend alone because of a raid, then there's is something wrong with him.
Is it really a friend? I'd leave any number of aquaintances to join a raid I have subscribed for.

Melinda

#66 Post by Melinda » 28 Apr 2009 03:21

I have played WoW for like.. 5 months or so, but I haven't been playing so much since I started college. It's a funny game but I try to not get too addicted xD Still... For the Horde!!

Mandarb

#67 Post by Mandarb » 28 Apr 2009 05:37

Now, to the people who think MMORPGs are stupid and you should rather spend your time with friends.

What is "Time well spent"? What exactly is "something meaningful? Is life meaningful? Why should "going out with friends drinking a beer" be better than "playing a MMORPG"? Is there actually a difference? You don't play this game alone, you interact with other people, and some people actually call those people friends.

The only difference is, that at one place your friends are physically present, while in the game they are not.

Depending on where you live your choice of friends might be rather limited. If you live in a small village in the middle of nowhere, what would you rather do: go into the local pub with closeminded people who have never set foot outside their village, ranting about foreigners while having too much beer, or, sit at your PC and talk with people from all over the world while doing something with them, like, a raid.

Or, what about people who are not as fortunate as others, who just happen, to put it bluntly, ugly. Now, you can't deny that our society prefers beautiful people. Humans do judge people by their looks, and the rather unfortunate individuals usually end up to be the subject of "fun" and talk.

You're just "second class" if you don't look good, and, so I find it rather easily understandably that such people prefer to stay at home and play a game over the internet, where you have an alter-ego, where nobody sees the real you, where nobody judges you for your looks, because your looks are fantasy. It's much more fun in the game for them since suddenly it's not about looks but about what you do and what you say.

Or, from another perspective: look at our fucked-up world. Go outside the house, switch on the TV: murder, terror, looming economic crysis, disasters, pollution, famine on the news; glamour, clothes, newest electronical devices that you need since otherwise you're "out" and completely "untrendy" in the ads. Some people play a game to escape, others go to the store and buy another 2 pairs of shoes, and feel good.

What of the two things now was "more meaningful"?

Of course you can go ahead and call a MMORPG bad because it addicts people. So probably best would be to go ahead and forbid such a game, since it's bad for some people. But Io and behold! Aren't there other things that are not forbidden and that are addictive? If you drank a beer Friday evening, and someone came up to you and called you an addict, wouldn't you think that guy was out of his mind? You can't just generalise a group of people. Not everyone playing MMORPGs is an addict.

And, to be honest, I'm fed up with "meaningful". Isn't it hypocrisy that a society busy at work towards its own destruction demands you to do something meaningful? Is it meaningful to try to earn as much money as possible, without regard to anything else? Is it more meaningful to spend the day at the mall shopping than spending the day in front of the computer?

In the end it's all about the point of view. But, who has the authority to define which point of view is the right one?
A guinness a day keeps the doctor away!

He is not drunk who from the floor can rise again and drink some more. But he is drunk who prostrate lies and cannot drink and cannot rise.

Gandalf de Grijze

#68 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Apr 2009 15:42

YOU are the only one able to define the correcrt point of view for YOURSELF ALONE
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Cerbere

#69 Post by Cerbere » 29 Apr 2009 00:38

Mandarb wrote:Depending on where you live your choice of friends might be rather limited. If you live in a small village in the middle of nowhere, what would you rather do: go into the local pub with closeminded people who have never set foot outside their village, ranting about foreigners while having too much beer, or, sit at your PC and talk with people from all over the world while doing something with them, like, a raid.
I'd move, and don't you say "it's too expensive", Fucking WoW is the most expensive game I've ever heard of

Mandarb

#70 Post by Mandarb » 29 Apr 2009 02:15

Cerbere wrote:
Mandarb wrote:Depending on where you live your choice of friends might be rather limited. If you live in a small village in the middle of nowhere, what would you rather do: go into the local pub with closeminded people who have never set foot outside their village, ranting about foreigners while having too much beer, or, sit at your PC and talk with people from all over the world while doing something with them, like, a raid.
I'd move, and don't you say "it's too expensive", Fucking WoW is the most expensive game I've ever heard of
Depending on circumstances it might not be as easy to move away.

And, I don't play WoW, I do play another MMORPG though, which would be Eve Online. I also like to go out with friends, but I do enjoy playing this game more than I do enjoy watching television, with all the stupid shows running on it. I also like to draw etc. It's not that I have no life, as some people in this thread might think about people playing MMORPGs.

I do agree though that you can get addicted. But, as I tried to point out, MMORPGs are not the only thing you can get addicted to.

But, let us put this discussion into another context. Since this is a forum of a metal band, I'm sure you have encountered people thinking metal is stupid, or, as some people believe, metal and games are responsible for some amok runs. Now, would you propose to forbid metal based on the belief of people who look at the metal-world from the outside, and who, much as yourself believe MMORPGs are bad, think metal is bad?

Do you also think reading books is a bad thing, if there are people who enjoy it so much, that they rather stay at home and read a book, than to go outside and do something with a friend? There have always been people who rather do something else than meet people, MMORPGs are just a new "medium".

So, in the end, all I ask of you, is to keep an open mind, and not to judge something because you just don't like to do it. Some people don't like metal. So be it.
A guinness a day keeps the doctor away!

He is not drunk who from the floor can rise again and drink some more. But he is drunk who prostrate lies and cannot drink and cannot rise.

Kankra

#71 Post by Kankra » 29 Apr 2009 08:44

Cerbere wrote:I'd move, and don't you say "it's too expensive", Fucking WoW is the most expensive game I've ever heard of
Are you quite out of your mind? What's 20$ per month?

verbranden

#72 Post by verbranden » 29 Apr 2009 20:58

Kankra wrote:
Cerbere wrote:I'd move, and don't you say "it's too expensive", Fucking WoW is the most expensive game I've ever heard of
Are you quite out of your mind? What's 20$ per month?
Apparently srs bsns.

But back on topic, I changed guilds and am now a proud (probationary) member of Nightmare Walking! We're currently rocking out in Ulduar, clearing the entire Siege and working on the Antechamber.

When I've not been raiding, I'm been hanging out with a biker gang, becoming a heathen bunny god, and wondering how the Warchief of the Horde could short on cash.

Haldir

#73 Post by Haldir » 03 Jun 2009 07:47

Sorlaun
Location: On top of an awesome dwarfy mountain of dwarvenish dwarf awesomeness.

Re: World of Warcraft

#74 Post by Sorlaun » 09 Aug 2009 08:00

I play WoW...I play a night elf hunter on Moon Guard, recently made a dwarf paladin, so we'll see how that goes.

Mackasfour

#75 Post by Mackasfour » 16 Aug 2009 05:37

I've gone back and forth from this game, thinking of going back, I'd like to know how endgame is going with WotLK? I would show you my character but it has been so long my character isn't in the armory anymore :cry:

And are DK's still dominant???? xD what kind of question is that, ofcourse they are
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

yamasidious

#76 Post by yamasidious » 07 Sep 2009 00:17

I want to play it. Wish I could but my wife said she'll divorce me if I did. :mrgreen:

Pathfinder

#77 Post by Pathfinder » 07 Sep 2009 22:55

Is there a thread on here about Lord Of The Rings Online? I'm really interested in that game lately.

I've played WoW for some time, but I never got fully into it. At the beginning it was interesting and it hold me for a while...but it just gets boring to me after a while doing the same things over and over again. Probably the fact that I was always starting a new with other characters didn't help, but I just couldn't continue with the same one for so long, cause I needed some kind of change. I never reached 70th level, and I didn't even bought the Wrath of the Lich King. I managed to reach 40 something or 50th level, and that was it. :)

Mackasfour

#78 Post by Mackasfour » 08 Sep 2009 10:40

LotRO rocks, rocked more when SoA was first released and up until MoM, Turbine has just lost their... spark?? :P I interchange between these 2 games every 2-4 months. Gotta get my Radiance gear on Champ. What server Pathfinder?
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Pathfinder

#79 Post by Pathfinder » 08 Sep 2009 16:17

Mackasfour wrote:What server Pathfinder?
Ah, I didn't say it properly, sorry. I meant I was interested in that game, and thinking of starting to play it. So, I'm not on any server for now. :)
That's why I asked about LOTRO thread here, cause I thought maybe I could learn a bit more about the game, and that it will maybe help me decide should I buy it or no.

Mackasfour

#80 Post by Mackasfour » 09 Sep 2009 12:35

Atm, I wouldn't... the game is in turmoil and it's a bit screwy, just cross your fingers and hope Turbine gets back on their legendary feet :P

Pathfinder

#81 Post by Pathfinder » 10 Sep 2009 04:06

Mackasfour wrote:Atm, I wouldn't... the game is in turmoil and it's a bit screwy, just cross your fingers and hope Turbine gets back on their legendary feet :P
I was just reading a little bit about game features and such, and it really seems interesting. Though, I realized that some players are complaining about MoM, but others say that people will always complain at forums, about some things, but generally the game is still good, and people are returning to play it. :)

Anyway, I think I'll give it a shot when I come back from the USA, cause I'm pretty sure that I can't get a European version of the game here. :)

Mackasfour

#82 Post by Mackasfour » 10 Sep 2009 13:20

It'd be good to start, I mean I haven't tried book 8 but I'm sure Turbine would've pulled their finger out... plus MoM doesn't affect new people :P