forum.blind-guardian.com

Blind Guardian Forum
It is currently 18 Apr 2014 20:11

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Legend of Grimrock
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012 05:14 

Legend of Grimrock comes out tomorrow and I eagerly await it!! I wish it was 2pm tomorrow already!

Here is a small description of the game

Old-school dungeon crawling game inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Ultima Underworld.
Explore a vast dungeon riddled with hidden switches, pressure plates, sliding walls, trapdoors and more.
Discover secrets, cast spells with runes and craft potions with herbs.
Fight murderous monsters and seek lost artifacts in ancient tombs.
Create a party of four characters and customize them with different races, classes, skills and traits.

official website
http://www.grimrock.net/

good 24 minute first look at the game, worth watching, it will make you really excited about this game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzIiXx-8BHc

Last edited by Baby_Kürsch on 14 Apr 2012 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Legends of Grimrock
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012 13:18 

I've also been following this since I saw it in a gaming magazine article. I've been really bored with games lately, so hopefully Grimrock'll change that =D

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012 14:26 

5 and a half hours til release!!

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012 18:08 

It's just Legend of Grimrock, not Legends.
[/nitpick]

Anyways, I've never really been all that interested in the Dungeon Master school of square-based dungeon crawler RPGs, but I have a good enough vibe about this game that I might just try it out anyways.
The theme music is effing gorgeous, btw. <3

EDIT: Welp, I watched that WTF video from TotalBiscuit, and I'm definitely getting the game now. It looks fucking awesome, really.

EDIT2: Been playing non-stop since release. Holy shit this game owns so much it's not even funny. Also, AAAAAAAGH GODDAMN FUCKING SPIDERS DIE DIE DIE.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012 13:53 

Im sorry Palantyre IM SORRY!! :oops:

Ive played for 75 minutes and my fingers are itching to get more! But at the moment Im working 6 days a week and Im moving this weekend. Its time for dishes and bed :cry:

Ive barely scratched the surface of the game but every time I turn a corner in Grimrock I get more and more excited! I fought some mushroom men guys and they totally almost ate me alive! I really like the combat system, Im so glad they went real time combat and not turned based. Im just excited for my mage to get spells he can cast :lol:

The blood of thousand giant snails stains the blood of my parties weapons!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2012 21:52 

So, I thought spiders were bad... Then I went onwards. FFFFUUUuuuuu.

God damn, this game certainly doesn't hold your hand. There are enemies that will friggin' murder you horribly, and some of the puzzles are downright devious. I only just finished level 7, and this far the game has just been getting more and more fiendish at every level.

Man, I love this shit. <3

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012 12:12 

Playing it. Very nice. Thank you.

They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012 14:06 

Ive just encountered my first spider and oh man did it kill me good!

Post subject: Re: Legend of Grimrock
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012 14:03 

Yeah I've thought about getting this game through Steam, but the outdated visuals, monotonous level design and kinda lame ass combat (as far as I can tell that is) have kept me from playing it so far. I decided to go for Trine 2, a beautiful fairytale in the shape of an old school platformer but with awesome physics and challenging gameplay.

In the end I'm sure I'll give Legend of Grimrock a chance, but for now there's just so much other cool stuff to play through.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012 15:41 

Frozen within wrote:
Yeah I've thought about getting this game through Steam, but the outdated visuals, monotonous level design and kinda lame ass combat (as far as I can tell that is) have kept me from playing it so far. I decided to go for Trine 2, a beautiful fairytale in the shape of an old school platformer but with awesome physics and challenging gameplay.

In the end I'm sure I'll give Legend of Grimrock a chance, but for now there's just so much other cool stuff to play through.

the only thing I can say you're wrong about here is the visuals, they are actually quite stunning (the textures are absolutely fantastic)! One of the things that drew me to the game is that its a classic dungeon crawl with updated visuals. You are right about almost everything else though, but its a dungeon crawl game and thats to be expected.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012 16:41 

Frozen within wrote:
lame ass combat (as far as I can tell that is)

The combat might seem pretty boring if all you've seen is gameplay videos with the player pounding on giant snails. When you're duking it out with three skeleton warriors in a 3x3 room, it gets a whole lot more intense. Not to say the combat in the game is super fun or anything, but it's still better than the trailers let on.

Also, if you're seriously criticizing this game (an indie game made by four guys) for "outdated visuals" when it actually has really nice textures and fully working dynamic lighting and shadow effects, you can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. :P

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012 01:06 

Be that as it may, the non-too-convincing visuals are the main thing keeping me from playing it so far, together with the retro movement / combat mechanics. Up close the monsters really look like shite imo, can't have that in a dungeon crawling game ... Plus, grid based combat has to be something one can put up with, like for the whole time ... Fuck, I wish one of the major studios would come up with a similar concept (which is awesome), but then a more dynamic version with more freedom of movement. Still I know I'd prolly have a good time with Legend of Grimrock as it is, I just can't help feeling that it could have been so much more interesting in the long run. Well, you peeps have fun with it and that's what counts.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012 08:28 

Frozen within wrote:
Be that as it may, the non-too-convincing visuals are the main thing keeping me from playing it so far [...] Up close the monsters really look like shite imo

I found the visuals pretty nice, including the monsters from up close. Never felt out of place to me at all.

Quote:
together with the retro movement / combat mechanics. Plus, grid based combat has to be something one can put up with, like for the whole time

I really adore the combat mechanics, they are well balanced and feel quite natural after a very short time. The grid structure makes things easier and less like a shooter, while still allowing for the use of dodging and tactics using the the layout of the environment in your favor. But if you have a problem with it, you should stay away from LoG, since that's what the whole is about, after all.

Quote:
... Fuck, I wish one of the major studios would come up with a similar concept (which is awesome), but then a more dynamic version with more freedom of movement. Still I know I'd prolly have a good time with Legend of Grimrock as it is, I just can't help feeling that it could have been so much more interesting in the long run. Well, you peeps have fun with it and that's what counts.

I can only say that the grid based structure is really the heart of the game and changing that would mean changing the main concept of the game. Also, I don't think that any of the big studios would do something clearly limited to such a small audience.

They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012 00:10 

Late as usual to check out a game played by so many already, but I finally got to it. It's really awesome, I take back every comment about grid based combat not being fun and challenging. At first it felt odd to have 4 characters and I was underwhelmed for a short period of time. But now I've warmed up and after levelling up with each character I'm starting to see the point in having multiple ways of dealing with various situations. I can't believe I didn't instinctively feel that this game was awesome in the first place.